our youngsters played beatifully...Derby press

NickG

A comment from the bottom there:

Al Jewell has done since hes been here is make a bad team even worse and thats not easy Please paul just go it aint working and with these signings it wont work Weve had enough spin from you ( time to gel, stick together , it aint going to happen over night and all the other dross you come out with.

:D

A comment from the bottom there:

All Burley has done since hes been here is make a bad team even worse and thats not easy Please George just go it aint working and with these signings it wont work We ve had enough spin from you ( time to gel, stick together , it aint going to happen over night and all the other dross you come out with.

:D

That all sounds very familiar... :)

How Gillett has gone unnoticed for all this time is amazing - although it could be a blessing he has, otherwise he would have been on of the "saleable assets".

Player of the Season has the potential to be very tight this year, although I know that (if he stays fit) my vote will be going to Michael Svensson.

Or it just shows that we couldn't afford to take such a big risk by throwing youngsters straight into a relegation battle.

I'm not one to knock Pearson but Gillett and Lallana should have both been involved a lot more last season. I don't see the risk of playing a youngster who could be rubbish when the player they are replacing is proven to be crap for 30 odd games.

Charlton away we really could have done with someone like Lallana upfront who can keep the ball for a few seconds rather than BWP who kept giving the ball away. When he was called up he even scored the very important goal against West Brom.

Gillett would have been a better option than Idiakez, Licka, Euell or Viafara in the middle.

Where is dumb pahars these days?

The football we are playing now really shows up how limited we were under Pearson.

too right. if Person were here this season,with his prefered carthorses taken away from him,we`d be relegated.

he was such a stereotypical,boring CCC-type of manager. yes,he was able to "frighten" the players into giving some effort,but barking at the sidelines as your only repertoire aint going to last for a full season.

no we are not world beaters, we have played better in 4 games than we have for any 4 consequtive games in over year - after losing a lot of players, I have seen enough to convince me

1 These are not dutch jokers but very capable football managers

2 We will not be in a relegation battle.

How much better it will get I don't know but I am enjoying it

too right. if Person were here this season,with his prefered carthorses taken away from him,we`d be relegated.

he was such a stereotypical,boring CCC-type of manager. yes,he was able to "frighten" the players into giving some effort,but barking at the sidelines as your only repertoire aint going to last for a full season.

my god i agree with you...

pearson was an average manager at best for us...won 3 whole games:smt109

Lets not knock Pearson. He did okay taking over someone else's failing team. He may well prove to be a good manager - but I'd still much rather have JP.

I for one am not going to tolerate this rewriting of history by those who go orgasmic after one victory against the team that now holds the record for the longest run of games without a win.

Your assessment of Pearson is the stereotypical ramblings of somebody incapable of assessing the situation he inherited and looking at it objectively.

He did a good job of turning around a demoralised squad, making ourselves hard to beat during a run in against the top teams in the division. JP is credited with losing narrowly against two good teams, but Pearson does not get the same credit when the situation he inherited was also a desperate one and against teams of equal calibre to Cardiff and Birmingham.

We will never know how Pearson would have performed faced with the same circumstances as JP. Obviously the youngsters have demonstrated ability, so it is only a question of whether Pearson could have extracted the same results from them. You say that he frightened players into performing, but I'd personally prefer to believe that he commanded respect and inspired commitment. If you can show me statements from players saying that they were afraid of Pearson, then your assertion might have credibility, but all it is at the moment is pure conjection based on a probably misguided perception. That wouldn't surprise me one bit going on your opinions.

Why people cant praise the new guys without running down Pearson is beyond me.They Managed the Club in totally different situations. You dont have to be for one and against the other.

People are judging Jan a sucess after 3 games,what about Pearson at Leicester, unbeaten and second in the league.

I suggest people wait until the end of the season before making such sweeping statements and running a decent man, in Pearson down.

I for one am not going to tolerate this rewriting of history by those who go orgasmic after one victory against the team that now holds the record for the longest run of games without a win.

Your assessment of Pearson is the stereotypical ramblings of somebody incapable of assessing the situation he inherited and looking at it objectively.

He did a good job of turning around a demoralised squad, making ourselves hard to beat during a run in against the top teams in the division. JP is credited with losing narrowly against two good teams, but Pearson does not get the same credit when the situation he inherited was also a desperate one and against teams of equal calibre to Cardiff and Birmingham.

We will never know how Pearson would have performed faced with the same circumstances as JP. Obviously the youngsters have demonstrated ability, so it is only a question of whether Pearson could have extracted the same results from them. You say that he frightened players into performing, but I'd personally prefer to believe that he commanded respect and inspired commitment. If you can show me statements from players saying that they were afraid of Pearson, then your assertion might have credibility, but all it is at the moment is pure conjection based on a probably misguided perception. That wouldn't surprise me one bit going on your opinions.

A very good post

We have beaten a team that hasn't won in almost a year and suddenly we are world beaters. Look out for the next dip in the helter skelter...

Is DT disappointed by the win then? I've not seen a single post that has built this win up into anything above what it is, a promising first step to getting some points on the board. But even the two defeats were close, by one goal in each game, and in games that few people would have said we should have been expected to win. So the Derby result just confirms what the first two games showed, that this Saints team is not being outplayed in this league and that could be bad news for the moaning minnies (quieter now) who have been predicting relegation and administration ever since last May.

But this is a Saints team that is worth watching - and apart from results, that alone will bring more people through the gates at the SMS.

Oh how I am revelling in our performance and win and the total disarray and depression at Derby. I can't read enogh newspaper reports!

I owe you an apology adriansfc. After selling Davies and with Surman possibly on the way I slated you for your eternal optimism. It appears I may have been completely wrong (as usual) and I hereby happily and humbly apologise.

Is DT disappointed by the win then? I've not seen a single post that has built this win up into anything above what it is, a promising first step to getting some points on the board. But even the two defeats were close, by one goal in each game, and in games that few people would have said we should have been expected to win. So the Derby result just confirms what the first two games showed, that this Saints team is not being outplayed in this league and that could be bad news for the moaning minnies (quieter now) who have been predicting relegation and administration ever since last May.

But this is a Saints team that is worth watching - and apart from results, that alone will bring more people through the gates at the SMS.

To answer your question, 'Professor', I am very happy that we won. But I'd like to caution that, as always with this forum, we lurch between 'we are doomed' when we lose, to 'we are going to win the league' (with people offering latest odds) after winning 1-0 against a very poor side. If you don't understand that then I suggest you change your log in name.

To answer your question, 'Professor', I am very happy that we won. But I'd like to caution that, as always with this forum, we lurch between 'we are doomed' when we lose, to 'we are going to win the league' (with people offering latest odds) after winning 1-0 against a very poor side. If you don't understand that then I suggest you change your log in name.

who is saying we will win the league or even get promoted?

I don't see what this season has to do with Pearson. It's a different team, probably a better one, with a different board, manager and structure.

Pearson couldn't have brought in so many young players in the situation we were in, nor did he have time or money to do much else. But what was needed, was a defence, which he promptly went out and loaned very well, eventually saving us. So thank you for that Nigel. Maybe he'd have done very well, maybe he wouldn't, but there's no reason to say anything negative about the guy. He gave his all to keep the club up where Burley had given nothing and put us in a dire mess. I like Jan very much, and the way the team is looking now, but just as results after Burley don't change the mistakes he made, nor do results after Pearson change the fact he did a very good job for us.

A very fair and balanced view.

Why people cant praise the new guys without running down Pearson is beyond me.They Managed the Club in totally different situations. You dont have to be for one and against the other.

People are judging Jan a sucess after 3 games,what about Pearson at Leicester, unbeaten and second in the league.

I suggest people wait until the end of the season before making such sweeping statements and running a decent man, in Pearson down.

Agree.

Everybody has and still have some reservations about what has happened in the last few months but nobody who has seen the team or read the reports can deny this team go out to entertain. I have waited a long time for a Saints side to go out and play football that is a joy to watch, we may not get promoted but I also can't see us being relegated.

Lets just all enjoy watching a side that has movement, pace, can control a ball and knows how to find a team mate with a pass, doesn't seem like much but it's been a while since we had a team that could even do the basics.

Forget the politics, just enjoy the football.

Burley got us within a whisker of a play-off final !

Pearson stabilised a sinking ship and kept us up !

Poortvliet has given youth it's head and shown potential !

All different characters, all different situations, all different boards to answer to !

IMHO it is impossible to compare on a like for like basis !

My biggest hope is that we have some stability (I mean years, not months) and that we get back on an even keel !

Its true that in the past there was a "We Will Walk This League" tendency amongst some supporters, to the extent that it became a joke, but I dispute that the Derby win has raised people to that level of expectation. What has been depressing in recent times has been the doom mongers predicting the club's demise, and claiming not be pessimists but realists.

My own view is that the end of September is the time to take a first realistic view of how the season MIGHT go but that is no reason not to believe success is possible. Jan is saying that the playoffs are a realistic target, and even that is expressed as a goal to aim for, not a prediction. To justify talking down a success by claiming that others are talking it up too much, (and without evidence that they are) is a shame when people are enjoying the moment.

Pearson was distinctly average. He had enough games to turn things around and nearly succeeded in relegating us. He even got 'lucky' by having three goalkeepers injured to be forced into signing R Wright.

Its true that in the past there was a "We Will Walk This League" tendency amongst some supporters, to the extent that it became a joke, but I dispute that the Derby win has raised people to that level of expectation. What has been depressing in recent times has been the doom mongers predicting the club's demise, and claiming not be pessimists but realists. My own view is that the end of September is the time to take a first realistic view of how the season MIGHT go but that is no reason not to believe success is possible. Jan is saying that the playoffs are a realistic target, and even that is expressed as a goal to aim for, not a prediction. To justify talking down a success by claiming that others are talking it up too much, (and without evidence that they are) is a shame when people are enjoying the moment.

I think that by definition the realists were saying that we ought to wait and see, rather than taking a position that was either optimistic or pessimistic based on hardly any criteria. I agree that even after a couple of near losses and a win, it will be several more weeks before any sort of pattern emerges enabling any realistic view of the potential position we might achieve.

The reasoned overview of the situation we find ourselves in at this present time is judged on several factors either current of in the near future that could alter the situation one way of the other and until they have an effect, no conclusive judgement can be made.

Granted that we have a young team, used to playing together under a manager who is not afraid to give them their head. They play well together and it is not impossible that they might turn out to be the surprise package in this division and get into the play-offs or better, depending on the other factors which might come into play.

Those are that we are short of cover if any of the youngsters or the older stalwarts are injured, suspended or sold. It depends on whether we can keep them all past this transfer window and the January one. It depends on whether we can bring in one or two loan players who can complete the picture too. Whether they can gain and maintain the confidence from winning and keep a positive outlook if they come up against a run of losses will also be a factor.

Let's all enjoy the wins as they come along, but also recognise that there are all these other factors in the background too and keep our feet firmly on the ground. That way we avoid disappointment from too high expectations that don't bear fruit.

Pearson was distinctly average. He had enough games to turn things around and nearly succeeded in relegating us. He even got 'lucky' by having three goalkeepers injured to be forced into signing R Wright.

Entitled to your opinion, which you don't back up with anything concrete. Even your phraseology is damning of him. I prefer to look at it as him saving us from relegation and having the ability to choose his loan personnel wisely to greatest effect. One makes one's own luck in life. Although it will not be conclusive as to how he might have fared here, are you at least prepared to accept that if he gets Leicester promoted, that will establish him as an above average manager? If so, we'll have to wait and see whether he can do it. I think that he can, but you obviously don't.

Entitled to your opinion, which you don't back up with anything concrete. Even your phraseology is damning of him. I prefer to look at it as him saving us from relegation and having the ability to choose his loan personnel wisely to greatest effect. One makes one's own luck in life. Although it will not be conclusive as to how he might have fared here, are you at least prepared to accept that if he gets Leicester promoted, that will establish him as an above average manager? If so, we'll have to wait and see whether he can do it. I think that he can, but you obviously don't.

maybe..maybe not..

he has easily the strongest squad in the league, the most money/backing

Ok ok he works for mad milan but still.........

Luggy won that league for Plymouth, with far far less money etc and he is crap

I don't have a problem with Pearson. I felt he brought discipline & commitment, and carried himself well in the media

I would, though, like to take you up on your assertion that if he gets Leicester promoted then he is "above average".

Its not like he is in charge of MK Dons, Brighton, Oldham (whose fans' expectations are no higher than seeing if they can make the play offs). Unlike Leeds & Leicester, whose fans would see the play offs as disappointing.

Gaining promotion to the CCC does not make you that.

Luggy has done that trick numerous times, and whilst he has, I wouldn't call him "above average" - decent bloke though he is.

maybe..maybe not..

he has easily the strongest squad in the league, the most money/backing

Ok ok he works for mad milan but still.........

Luggy won that league for Plymouth, with far far less money etc and he is crap

They had the Milan Mandaric money last season too, but that didn't stop them being relegated. Also, they have suffered three management changes since Mandaric arrived, so Pearson is up against it if he doesn't produce results. He is off to a decent start and I suspect that he has already shown some motivational skills and given belief to a demoralised squad, much as he had started to do here before he left.

If I was allowed to post a new thread which I am not I would post a thread that said " Is Simon Gillett the NEW Paul Scholes?"

You've gotta believe it, tigerish tackling, amazing vision and superb control and passing. He's a must for England sooner rather than later. The sheer power and ability of Simon and Morgan in midfield takes your breath away. It's a very long time indeed since that that happened here.

I hope we make it to automatic promotion this year so that we have a reasonable chance of holding onto them - imagine we had the chance to field Scholes and Gerrard, well this pairing could be even better.

If I was allowed to post a new thread which I am not I would post a thread that said " Is Simon Gillett the NEW Paul Scholes?"

You've gotta believe it, tigerish tackling, amazing vision and superb control and passing. He's a must for England sooner rather than later. The sheer power and ability of Simon and Morgan in midfield takes your breath away. It's a very long time indeed since that that happened here.

I hope we make it to automatic promotion this year so that we have a reasonable chance of holding onto them - imagine we had the chance to field Scholes and Gerrard, well this pairing could be even better.

If you PM me I'll start the thread... oh you can't.Pay your fiver and join in.It is cheap entertainment and opens up options for you.The more that pay the more to be re invested in the site.It is the same as fans going to SMS more turn up things will get better.

Massive :lol:

Scholes is terrible at tackling

How?

If McLeish gets Birmingham promoted does it mean he is an 'above average manager?'

Leicester are 3-1 joint favourites with Leeds for promotion. The next nearest rivals are 12- 1, so how well Leicester do is probably more down to the fact they still have significantly better resources available than the rest of the league, rather than ultimate proof of Pearson's ability.

I wholly agree with earlier posts saying there is no need to slag Pearson off but on the other hand it is becoming tiresome hearing how we 'treated him appallingly' or how he is a 'great manager.' He was on a well paid short term contract and was given a budget which allowed him to bring in 5 loan signings. Wright and Perry were both excellent, but Pearce and Pericard started one game each, hardly showing him as a visionary.

We were 18th when he took over and his only task was to stop us dropping further into the relegation spots. He did that by sorting the defence out - an area that Burley chose to ignore, so maybe it was not too hard for a defensive minded manager to stop leaking goals at the expense of scoring. But lets not forget we did see some awful performances under Pearson, such as those against Hull and Burnley and survival was out of our hands on the final day. Summing up I think the best than can be said is Pearson did 'OK' under difficult circumstances.

Is that what we do now - celebrate mediocrity?

Whatever Pearson does at Leicester is not relevant to saints. I believe what Poortvliet is getting out of the team is far more adventurous than we were ever likely to witness had Pearson remained - but of course its early days. Even if Poortvliet 'fails' it does not follow Pearson was the right man all along.

Its true that in the past there was a "We Will Walk This League" tendency amongst some supporters, to the extent that it became a joke, but I dispute that the Derby win has raised people to that level of expectation. What has been depressing in recent times has been the doom mongers predicting the club's demise, and claiming not be pessimists but realists.

My own view is that the end of September is the time to take a first realistic view of how the season MIGHT go but that is no reason not to believe success is possible. Jan is saying that the playoffs are a realistic target, and even that is expressed as a goal to aim for, not a prediction. To justify talking down a success by claiming that others are talking it up too much, (and without evidence that they are) is a shame when people are enjoying the moment.

It is called managing expectations.

ps if you forecast we will lose, and we win, it's doubly satisfying. try it!

How?

If McLeish gets Birmingham promoted does it mean he is an 'above average manager?'

Leicester are 3-1 joint favourites with Leeds for promotion. The next nearest rivals are 12- 1, so how well Leicester do is probably more down to the fact they still have significantly better resources available than the rest of the league, rather than ultimate proof of Pearson's ability.

I wholly agree with earlier posts saying there is no need to slag Pearson off but on the other hand it is becoming tiresome hearing how we 'treated him appallingly' or how he is a 'great manager.' He was on a well paid short term contract and was given a budget which allowed him to bring in 5 loan signings. Wright and Perry were both excellent, but Pearce and Pericard started one game each, hardly showing him as a visionary.

We were 18th when he took over and his only task was to stop us dropping further into the relegation spots. He did that by sorting the defence out - an area that Burley chose to ignore, so maybe it was not too hard for a defensive minded manager to stop leaking goals at the expense of scoring. But lets not forget we did see some awful performances under Pearson, such as those against Hull and Burnley and survival was out of our hands on the final day. Summing up I think the best than can be said is Pearson did 'OK' under difficult circumstances.

Is that what we do now - celebrate mediocrity?

Whatever Pearson does at Leicester is not relevant to saints. I believe what Poortvliet is getting out of the team is far more adventurous than we were ever likely to witness had Pearson remained - but of course its early days. Even if Poortvliet 'fails' it does not follow Pearson was the right man all along.

Agree that we should be looking forward but for the life of me I can't see why Pearson is so reviled amongst some fans on here. Have people got so entrenched in their anti Lowe/anti wilde/anti Crouch/anti McMenemy stances that they actively seek to slag off and denegrate a decent man who did a good enough job for us and may or may not be a significantly lesser manager that the current incumbant.

For crying out loud, Pearson, on current evidence, is not as good a manager as Poorvielt but he's not as bad as some would make him out to be. He inherited a demotivated, unfit team and managed to eventually turn things around. If you were to ask me which manager I'd prefer then of course, on current performances, say Poortvield in a heartbeat but I'm eternally grateful to a decent, honest, hard working manager who did a good enough job in short time.