Crouch on 5Live last night

Frank's cousin

Yes I heard him, was not overly impressed. I'm sure he said the only reason we had the holding company set-up was so that we could avoid the 10 point penaly if it ever happened - probably wasn't a good idea, especially as Mawhinney was on right after.

Fair play to him though for having the balls to say we can still stay up by beating Burnley and Forest and get the penalty overturned in the summer, the last grain of hope...

Yes I heard him, was not overly impressed. I'm sure he said the only reason we had the holding company set-up was so that we could avoid the 10 point penaly if it ever happened - probably wasn't a good idea, especially as Mawhinney was on right after.

Words cannot describe how utterly idiotic that statement is, if that is indeed what he said.

For a start, the "sporting sanction" - as Lord take-ten-seconds-of-breath-between-each-word calls it - was only brought in in 2004. The PLC was formed in 1997.

Mate of mine called to say someone on the radio did us no favours...

I assumed it was Mark Fry...

I do wish Crouch would just shut the **** up as the self appointed voice of Southampton FC...

He knows what he has to do if he wants to become the mouthpiece for Saints...and it involves putting up and shutting up...

Sorry, but he did say that we wonly set up the holding companny to avoid teh penalty - which is total ****** and Mawhinney jumped straight on it and then pPleat came in with how it was doubly important that clunbs should not get awy with it.... Give him a break? happy to support him in his fund rasining and keeping the club alive, that is all good, but he should have kept his mouth shut on that subject because it was clear he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and gave FALSE infomation....

I don't know Crouch, but my impression of him has always been that his heart is in the right place but he hasn't got much brain. So I see him as on the side of the angels, but not a lot of help, and maybe even accidentally doing a bit of harm.

There must be something there or he'd not have made the money he apparently has, but .....

K.

Sorry' date=' but he did say that we wonly set up the holding companny to avoid teh penalty - which is total ****** and Mawhinney jumped straight on it and then pPleat came in with how it was doubly important that clunbs should not get awy with it.... Give him a break? happy to support him in his fund rasining and keeping the club alive, that is all good, but he should have kept his mouth shut on that subject because it was clear he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and gave FALSE infomation....[/quote']

i think Mawhinney being involved in politics knows how to twist things to his advantage.

fairplay to leon for trying to help save this club.

What a rubbish thread. What the hell is the guy supposed to say? He is not a shareholder, he is not a Director. He is just an influential and passionate fan who is doing his best to keep the club going. Get some perspective and give the guy a break FFS.

Err - he's not a shareholder in that no one is a shareholder anymore, and he was a director, and I'm sure no-one forced him to speak on the radio.

He was a complete and utter embarrassment on Five Live yesterday and any sympathy and neutral fan would have had for us went straight out the window once Leon had finished.

Leon, shut up you clown.

I don't know Crouch, but my impression of him has always been that his heart is in the right place but he hasn't got much brain. So I see him as on the side of the angels, but not a lot of help, and maybe even accidentally doing a bit of harm.

There must be something there or he'd not have made the money he apparently has, but .....

K.

Dont get me wrong, I agree, I think Leon has always been the most obvious true fan and is passionate about the club, but he is incredibly naive in press/media matters and speaks first before realising the consequences - the 'admission' that the holding company was set up to avoid a penalty should it ever happen, could nnot have been a bigger gaff!

What a rubbish thread. What the hell is the guy supposed to say? He is not a shareholder, he is not a Director. He is just an influential and passionate fan who is doing his best to keep the club going. Get some perspective and give the guy a break FFS.

Nothing

The thread isn't rubbish, Crouch accepting these interviews and making stupid comments is rubbish. Crouch could have easily said no. But sadly his desire to publicise himself as some sort of footballing power always gets in the way.

I've said since day one of Crouch's involvement with this club, that I respect his passion and have huge respect for putting his money where his mouth is, but his ego and 'shoot from the hip' style will cause us problems.

Staying consistent with my opinion when he was in charge, Leon should NEVER be let near a microphone. It is clear he is a successful businessman, but it is also clear he has never had any professional media management training, so comes across as a bumbling amateur. We already have enough of those speaking to the press on our behalf.

Leon, invest some of your money in a proper course OR simply give your opinions to a professional to write copy for you. It's good enough for Obama et al, why can't you do it?

sad thing is I think he sees himself as a fans favorite when most want him to leave the club alone.

I'd go halfway between those two opinions. I'm happy for him to be involved, as we need some passion restored. But I want him to stay the hell away from interviews and stick to what he is good at.

If you want respect, Mr.Crouch, this is the way to do it. Results and honesty.

I'd go halfway between those two opinions. I'm happy for him to be involved, as we need some passion restored. But I want him to stay the hell away from interviews and stick to what he is good at.

I'd share a similar view to that. I haven't heard the interview but he does have a track record of shooting from the hip in a somewhat uncontrolled manner at times. Still, at least he's not going round telling everyone it's not his fault.

Everty club needs a CRouch type ... who does provide a link between fans and teh Directors Box' date=' but if that naive with the media, he should be kept OUT of its path...[/quote']

I disagree. How many threads have we had saying we want to go back to the days of not knowing who the board are? How much passion do you see from the Glasers at Man U? I want a quietly efficient, strong board with good judgement - don't care if I never ever hear them on the radio, nor whether they come across as wet - much better than Lowe, Wilde and Crouch.

Fresh start, please

I disagree. How many threads have we had saying we want to go back to the days of not knowing who the board are? How much passion do you see from the Glasers at Man U? I want a quietly efficient, strong board with good judgement - don't care if I never ever hear them on the radio, nor whether they come across as wet - much better than Lowe, Wilde and Crouch.

Fresh start, please

Fair point and with a lot of merit, but given how far we have fallen and how much we stand to lose, a little bit of passion and belief could go a long way. If nothing else, it may restore some of the feelgood factor that's sadly lost.

Anyone else hear him... did not sound very impressive' date=' bumbled his way through several questions or did not answer, came across bullish about appealing, but could not give a reason why, or even indicate if we had a leg to stand on... not impressed I'm affraid.[/quote']

Well he's not the new owner is he, so if you regard him as a fan and look at how many others are not impressive and bumble around then it doesnt matter really!

"Southampton Football Club was set up so that if this ever happened, we would not have these points deducted - it's the way they have interpreted the rules.

I think we have a very strong case, I hope we appeal

What in the world was he thinking? I can't believe he actually said it. I'm stunned. And how exactly could the club have been set up to avoid a point deduction when there were no such rules in 1997? Unbelievable. FFS, I truly can not believe he's said something like that.

How, by setting up a parent / child relationship between SLH and SFC can we have 'cheated the system'?

As many have already said, the 'system' didn't exist until some years after we had set up our structure.

Or did Lowe, amongst his many other talents :rolleyes:, have precogniscence as well?

If so, why on earth didn't he forsee the events of the last couple of days?

sad thing is I think he sees himself as a fans favorite when most want him to leave the club alone.

What a bunch of two-faced shallow individuals. LC is OK all the while he is pumping his money into the club (even prior to being a major shareholder) - acting as an ambassador - saving projects ****ed up by others? His comments are of little consequence NOW - if there is a good case to appeal, then we will win. It's very likely we will not win, but it will have f*ck all to do with LC's comments. Truth is the horse bolted when Lowe didn't put us into admin in March. Everyone needs to wake-up and smell the League One coffee. By far the biggest issue facing this club is its financial survival between now and when a new buyer walks in.

What in the world was he thinking? I can't believe he actually said it. I'm stunned. And how exactly could the club have been set up to avoid a point deduction when there were no such rules in 1997? Unbelievable. FFS, I truly can not believe he's said something like that.

Why should he not quote what Rupert and his cohorts told him?

How, by setting up a parent / child relationship between SLH and SFC can we have 'cheated the system'?

As many have already said, the 'system' didn't exist until some years after we had set up our structure.

Or did Lowe, amongst his many other talents :rolleyes:, have precogniscence as well?

If so, why on earth didn't he forsee the events of the last couple of days?

Excellent point well made BTF.

It's this type of naive behaviour that has led me to tell anybody who cares to listen that he is not suitable as a chairman of this club.

He is prone to gaffe's and he never gives any assurance that he is in control of his brief.

Therefore it was no surprise to hear he said what he said...

What a bunch of two-faced shallow individuals. LC is OK all the while he is pumping his money into the club (even prior to being a major shareholder) - acting as an ambassador - saving projects ****ed up by others? His comments are of little consequence NOW - if there is a good case to appeal, then we will win. It's very likely we will not win, but it will have f*ck all to do with LC's comments. Truth is the horse bolted when Lowe didn't put us into admin in March. Everyone needs to wake-up and smell the League One coffee. By far the biggest issue facing this club is its financial survival between now and when a new buyer walks in.

He was a right old Jack Walker wasn't he?

You response to people saying that Crouch came across as a wally last night is as rambling as one of Leon's radio interviews. What has telling us to "wake up and smell the League one coffee" got to do with anything?

Leon came over as a complete arse yesterday and his contribution to the Ted Bates statue, or Lowe's complete demolition of our football club haven't really got anything to do with it. He made himself and the club look utterly foolish.

Christ.

Edited by CB Fry

not two faced at all - glady accept his money but not his comments.

Fresh start, please

Spot on.

To be fair this day was going to be inevitable when we failed against Derby - having risked a 7.5 mil 'push' for promotion - the Wilde AND Crouch strategy, and it not coming off, short of having a few other Theo's to sell on we were on the financial downward spiral - the very thing the FL rules are designed to discourage - the punishment is designed to STOP clubs risking everything on a promotion push.

So lets get this right. SLH was set up so that if it went into admin SFC would not get a points deduction! SLH was set up in January 1997? When did the points deduction system come in?? At the time was a Premiership Club so not accountable to Football League or it's penalties anyway.

For the sake of accuracy this is what was said:

"Mark Fry is the administrator for SLH, he's not the administrator for the club. We're not in administration, we're paying our bills and I don't see how they can take these points off us.

"Southampton Football Club was set up so that if this ever happened, we would not have these points deducted - it's the way they have interpreted the rules.

"I think we have a very strong case, I hope we appeal and we now have to focus on winning against Burnley on Saturday, we need to safeguard our Championship status and then hopefully have this decision overturned - then we'll be back where we belong next season."

Responding to Crouch on Five Live Sport, Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney said: "What he said that was of particular interest of me was when he said this structure was set up to avoid the football club having a penalty if it got into financial trouble.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8014811.stm

Not at all clever and I imagine Mark Fry has told him so.

On the other hand Leon seems to be single-handedly keeping the company afloat at present by paying electricity bills etc so let's not be too harsh on him.

He also said elsewhere that the players have already been paid in full this month. The players' role in this really p1sses me off. They are the ones that underperformed on the pitch. They are also the people attached to the club with the most money. If they collectively paid back half of their monthly pay packet I'm sure the club would easily survive until a sale goes through. I've got no time for any of them that haven't helped the club in this way.

For the sake of accuracy this is what was said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8014811.stm

Not at all clever and I imagine Mark Fry has told him so.

On the other hand Leon seems to be single-handedly keeping the company afloat at present by paying electricity bills etc so let's not be too harsh on him.

He also said elsewhere that the players have already been paid in full this month. The players' role in this really p1sses me off. They are the ones that underperformed on the pitch. They are also the people attached to the club with the most money. If they collectively paid back half of their monthly pay packet I'm sure the club would easily survive until a sale goes through. I've got no time for any of them that haven't helped the club in this way.

Spot on, especially about the players. How long has Wayne Thomas been out? What's he on? Having said that... he can't underperform in the treatment room so maybe we should let him have his hard earned cash.. ;)

Spot on, especially about the players. How long has Wayne Thomas been out? What's he on? Having said that... he can't underperform in the treatment room so maybe we should let him have his hard earned cash.. ;)

Perhaps he should have taken a leaf out of Paul Telfer's book when he was at Bournemouth.

Whilst it would appear that LC has made a bit of a gaff its not going to affect the technical legal argument so I don't think he has infact made it worse. I liked the bit from Mark Fry about this now being decided at the appropriate intellectual level !

I don't know why he thinks we love him and that he is indispensable to Saints FC. He's just an ordinary local bloke who happens to have made a bit of money. So am I but I wouldn't presume to foist myself on fans as their spokesman after all the sh*t that he has helped d create in the last couple of years. Don't give me all that crap about 'loyalty to Saints' and so on. All these blokes are part of a failed self-serving regime and if any of them had a modicum of decency they'd b***er off and leave our club in untarnished hands. the sooner a new owner rids us of Crouch, Mcmenemy and any other hanger on who doesn't have the wit to know when their particular party is over the better we'll be for it. Sod off!

K.

Always said this about him, Well meaning at first, but doesn't do enough research on areas he stakes a claim in, often ends up looking a bit stupid, and when scrutinised can get a bit *****y.

He reminds me of the 'Michael Scott' Character from The American version of 'The Office'