L1 gate /revenues

Frank's cousin

Ok lets assume we do get a buyer - got to be positive. What sort of gate do you think we will get if:

1. Start well and stay mid table - to playoff position all season (after -10 is written off after winning 3 and drawing 1 out of first four games)

2. poor start and it we are in and around relegation position all season

What would be be an appropriate ticket price?

Its interesting as this will give us a ballpark estimation of the revenues xpected and will hpefully heplp us understand what sort of figures are realistic for any bidder interseted in the club both from a purchase price and form an annual investment prioce if we are to see serious progress?

I wouldn't imagine the figure to drop to far below the lowest attendance of the past season, (~12k - 14k) as I would say that is our core support.

If we are doing well hovering about the playoffs all season then >18k and if towards the end of the season we have managed to get into the top 3 then I would expect >20 possibly even near a full house if we look likely for automatic promotion/win the league (obviously that is a very slim chance)

Little bit high IMO - 1-2 thousand less for each category.

Probably about right.

Ticket price is an interesting one.

I think it should be £15 - £20 a ticket. That might seem a little low but clubs could see their bums this season if they go to high. This is the season that the pressures of the credit crunch will really kick in. People aren't going to cough up £24 a ticket 3, 4 times a month in the middle of the winter.

I think Season ticket holders should pay a fixed price but their exact same ticket is tracked through the season. That way, if gates are **** and we want to do deals like this season (which is absolutly right) than ST's still get say, £50 under what it would cost them to have bought individual match tickets all season. Any difference could come off the season ticket the following year. (No refunds if you don't continue with your ST)

The thing is it's so hard now. It all depends on what comes out of admin though. All the above is waht i reckon is fair and just. If we've got a £1mil a year overdraft to pay on the stadium, that's going to affect things isn't it! Mind due, we'd still have to be very careful. People just won't pay £24 a ticket next season on a very regular basis.

I think a good run of form........(oops! forgot Saints don't do that!) would generate more than 20,000 crowds.......I genuinely think the fan base is crying out for a side that CARES..........and grafts which they will need to in 3rd Division.........if they show the grit needed supporters will return.........if not......then it will be a pretty miserable place on a cold Tuesday in November!

Gates:-

1) if we've got a team that battles and shows some passion then people will return to watch and if in top half than expect 12 - 15K. At end of season if in with a chance of play-offs (very unlikely, due to point deduction) Then increase to 15 - 18K.

2) if team not successful then gates will drop throughout the season. Will start at about 12K mark, but will drop to 10K and for wet Tuesday nights lucky to get 8K.

Prices:-

£15 all round the ground (except corporates which is different pricing structure altogether). £12 for youth & seniors and £6 for kids. Season ticket holders discount of 3 games.

Liked the idea that if a special offer is made then the value of that offer is carried forward to the next season for season ticket holders to encourage renewals.

I reckon League gate revenues should be between £4.5 and £5million based on a season average of 15,000 paying an average of £14 per ticket.

Assuming approx 2 mil from sponsorship advertising and commercial sales budget of about 7.0-7.5 mil? that compares to last season of about 15 mil costs so serious cutting still to be done.... thats the scary part how can that be achieved?

We were told by so many the low crowds were due to Lowe, not poor football and lowly league positions. On that basis I'd hope to still average 22k. I hope that happens I really do. But I think it'll slip to 15k to start with, then it will depend on how we do. A tough season and it'll be around the 11k mark I'd imagine.

Wouldn't mind so much if that was at the dell, but I can't stand empty stadia.

God, I really miss the dell at the moment. Heady days in comparison.

The start of season attendances will be based on several things;

1) Who takes over ownership, and their percieved wealth/ambition.

2) Who is Manager

3) Who the players are and whether there is any feel good factor about signings

4) The ST and MD price

As far as pricing is concerned, the new owner(s) should offer a decent price, say £253 per season (£11 per game), if you purchase a two year ticket.

A one year ticket 2009/10 should be £299 (£13 per game).

A MD ticket should then be £16 per game in advance or £20 on the day

Based on these prices I believ there would be in the region of 10-12K TWO YEAR ST holders and 4-6K ONE YEAR ST holders.

So, on the lower estimate that would generate attendances of 14K and revenue form tickets of at least £3.73million.

At the upper estimates it would generate attendances of 18K and revenue of £4.83 million.

Attendances between 14 and 18K are very realistic and would still create a reasonble atmoshere because those figures do not include any away support, of which we will probably do well on because of SMS and thappeal to away fans.

With a wealthy owner, a good manager and two or three "nice" signings I can see our attendances average over 20K next season BUT IMHO the owners have to get the prices right to start with! They need to recognise the S*** we've had to put up with and the climate we are in and be fan centric.

Any new owner worth his salt needs to have a five year plan to return to the Premiership before he can even begin to think abouth making any ROI, and so he needs to get the fan base built up very quickly to help in that plan.

We will see..........hopefully!

Edited by MarkSFC

Fans want to see results first then "good performances" (at least reading the thousands of pages about our early season JP-led style not getting anywhere before it all fell apart)

Fans come away from winning happy, they come away from defeats grumbling, so to get them to make the excuse in their weekend to make the trip they need to be happier than grumpier.

So it's what happens on the pitch that will determine the crowds. A winning team at home who lose or occassionally draw away may not make a top half but would have better home crowds than one which does the reverse.

Fans don't make the effort to watch cr*p. Hopefully a manager and a squad can be put together that plays football and wins at SMS. Then the crowds will take care of themselves.

My one idea I'd put up would be if we expect lower gates in L1, why don't we cover the back 5 or 10 rows around the Chapel/Kingsland and even ends of the Itchen and instead open the corners all the way around. Makes the crowd look and feel bigger and gives the vocal majority what they want.

(although means a bit more stewards needed)

The start of season attendances will be based on several things;

1) Who takes over ownership, and their percieved wealth/ambition.

2) Who is Manager

3) Who the players are and whether there is any feel good factor about signings

4) The ST and MD price

after 20 odd years in the Prem and a few in the CCC I just can't see any signings in League 1 getting Saints fans excited. My hot tip for exampe on the HCDAJFU thread was Danny N'Gussen from Lincoln. He is a young winger available on a free. If we managed to get him, which we won't, do you think many will have heard of him never mind get excited about it.

Fans want to see results first then "good performances" (at least reading the thousands of pages about our early season JP-led style not getting anywhere before it all fell apart)

Fans come away from winning happy, they come away from defeats grumbling, so to get them to make the excuse in their weekend to make the trip they need to be happier than grumpier.

So it's what happens on the pitch that will determine the crowds. A winning team at home who lose or occassionally draw away may not make a top half but would have better home crowds than one which does the reverse.

Fans don't make the effort to watch cr*p. Hopefully a manager and a squad can be put together that plays football and wins at SMS. Then the crowds will take care of themselves.

My one idea I'd put up would be if we expect lower gates in L1, why don't we cover the back 5 or 10 rows around the Chapel/Kingsland and even ends of the Itchen and instead open the corners all the way around. Makes the crowd look and feel bigger and gives the vocal majority what they want.

If we get taken over the club should bing you home as chairman Phil....hey then perhaps id get an invite to lord it up with all the hangers on

I'm not actually sure that cheaper tickets would bring that many people back.

Possibly not. But i think clubs will need to reduce tickets just to maintain the staus quo this coming season. If they don't budge they will go down (top 4 exluded)

In all walks of life the "Feelgood Factor" cannot be under-estimated..

We play well and start winning, coupled with a belief in our leaders, manager and coaching team and the crowds could edge towards 20k (even higher on occasions if you count Brighton as our new derby match for example).

Note that there is a high proportion of matches with Southern English Clubs ( Brighton, Yeovil, Swindon, The Gas, Orient, Brentford, Charlton, Exeter that could generate a reasonable amount of away fans too.

Can just see what Nick H is thinking.... take the recent forum match one team sat in the dressing room experiencing the REAL saints experience the others were in the wrong dressing room! We were sat there thinking how the feck did we lose that to that bunch of toss..... whilst you were thinking DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!....... we will see what happens next year!!! .... take WILF out of your pocket as well!

... thought the idea a bout the seat was great. We need to Get the fans closer to the pitch - so they might get a sense of how happy we were to tred on it..... Yes we are LEGENDS NOW!!!!

I reckon the gate will be similar to last season, although if we're at the top of the table perhaps we'll get close to 20,000

I agree.

There are people who jump ship when a team gets relegated from the Prem, no question.

But are there really that many people who go to games in the Championship to watch the opposition? I don't think so. The 14-17k that were there regularly last season are main core of supporters IMO.

Can just see what Nick H is thinking.... take the recent forum match one team sat in the dressing room experiencing the REAL saints experience the others were in the wrong dressing room! We were sat there thinking how the feck did we lose that to that bunch of toss..... whilst you were thinking DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!....... we will see what happens next year!!! .... take WILF out of your pocket as well!

... thought the idea a bout the seat was great. We need to Get the fans closer to the pitch - so they might get a sense of how happy we were to tred on it..... Yes we are LEGENDS NOW!!!!

I still thik we should move the northam to the Chapel so we could have a proper kop.Not the cop out we have now.

I still thik we should move the northam to the Chapel so we could have a proper kop.Not the cop out we have now.

Think this would be a good idea to as we prefer to shoot to that goal in the second half. Also away fans could have the away end. Would surely make policing easier.... cause as we now know it is a very long way from end to end (i nearly keeled over running side to side!!!)

But the atmosphere would be sh*t. The two sets of fans would hardly be able to hear each other.
But that is the point the away fans would hear as there would be a large congregation of singing fans.I sat in the chapel against Bury last season and you couldnt hear the Northam even though they were in full swing.The same went if you stand in the itchen you cant hear them.Get them at 1 end and it would be for the better.It is a nonsense splitting your singing fans.

The most famous ends are where the home fans congregate.

If do s**t and are near the bottom- 10k average

Mid to bottom of of table- 12k average

Mid to top of table- 16k average

Towards top of table- 20k average

imo

I would tend to agree with this estimate, however it could be factored up or down depending on (a) who the manager is and (b) whether some decent players are signed. There will be a honeymoon period for an incoming new owner I suspect, so it will be critical to win over the fans and get results before Xmas otherwise I think early optimism will be replaced by a renewed exodus from SMS. All of this of course assumes there will be a club come Xmas and I am still of the opinion that is far from certain at this stage.

But that is the point the away fans would hear as there would be a large congregation of singing fans.I sat in the chapel against Bury last season and you couldnt hear the Northam even though they were in full swing.The same went if you stand in the itchen you cant hear them.Get them at 1 end and it would be for the better.It is a nonsense splitting your singing fans.

The most famous ends are where the home fans congregate.

I don't understand what you mean, how would moving the Northam to the Chapel help. Fans next to the away end in the Itchen will want to stay there so you wont get a better concentration. Leave it as it is.

after 20 odd years in the Prem and a few in the CCC I just can't see any signings in League 1 getting Saints fans excited. My hot tip for exampe on the HCDAJFU thread was Danny N'Gussen from Lincoln. He is a young winger available on a free. If we managed to get him, which we won't, do you think many will have heard of him never mind get excited about it.

I didn't actually say "excited" because I agree that some if not all of our potential signings will be relatively unknown to most of us. Signings will be the indicative of the new manager and available funds so "the feelgood factor" will come from the trust and popularity of the new manager, hopefully Tisdale and the new owner(s).

I doubt we will get "excited" about a signing for 2 or 3 years at least!!!