Davy Jones

rocknrollman no2

Very saddened to read this news. Davy Jones like the other Monkees had a big part in the lives of so many young people all those years again. Being British he was kinda special over here in the UK. He was indeed a jack of all trades, even a jockey at one time. Still brings a tear to my eyes whenever such hits as Daydream Believer, We are the Monkees, I'm a Believer.,

From their comedy acting to their corny but loveable music the Monkees was popular from all sides of showbusiness.

R.I.P. Davy, thanks for the music, the fun, and for being British.

Edited by ART

The Monkees were part of my childhood. The best manufactured band, bar none. How Simon Cowell and that Irish puff would give for songs like, I'm not your stepping stone, I'm a believer,and the aforementioned last train to clarkesville. Mike Nesmith's Rio is one of my favourite songs of all time.

RIP Davy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0bmcJSLuO8&feature=related

Yes, RIP Davy. I'm only slightly younger than 40 (at least for 2 weeks) but The Monkees reruns were compulsory Saturday morning viewing. For a manufactured band they had some cracking tunes as well, "Last train to Clacksville" and "Pleasant valley sunday" being my favourites. Oh, and I had no idea Shirley Maclaine was Davy's mother!

Very saddened to read this news. Davy Jones like the other Monkees had a big part in the lives of so many young people all those years again. Being British he was kinda special over here in the UK. He was indeed a jack of all trades, even a jockey at one time. Still brings a tear to my eyes whenever such hits as Daydream Believer, We are the Monkees, I'm a Believer.,

From their comedy acting to their corny but loveable music the Monkees was popular from all sides of showbusiness. Davy never quite achieved the acting fame of his mother Shirley MacClaine, who's still going strong and joining the cast of Downton.

R.I.P. Davy, thanks for the music, the fun, and for being British.

One of those songs that just lifts your mood, I can't listen to this song and not be happy.

Yes, RIP Davy. I'm only slightly younger than 40 (at least for 2 weeks) but The Monkees reruns were compulsory Saturday morning viewing. For a manufactured band they had some cracking tunes as well, "Last train to Clacksville" and "Pleasant valley sunday" being my favourites. Oh, and I had no idea Shirley Maclaine was Davy's mother!

She would have been 11 when he was born.

The Monkees TV show was one of the highlights of the week back then.

As others have said, they made some quality music.......a Monkees "best of" is money well spent. Loads of great songs, "listen to the band" is often on my turntable.

They brought a lot of fun into the world.

A sad day, today .

A nice little tribute on Digital Spy to Davy with a number of great Monkee clips. Boy, they were good when you see them against the biggest groups of the past 50 years. I've listened to amazing stuff this evening that I'd never ever heard before. Amazing

Great Monkee clips

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a368608/davy-jones-1945-2012-the-monkees-greatest-songs-video.html

Without wishing to compare celebrity deaths (said a man about to do so) but this news about Davy Jones saddened me several multiples more than the likes of Winehouse and Houston.

Yes, he achieved fame on the back of a manufactured pop band but you always sensed a huge element of humility and genuine-ness in what he and they did.

There aren't many celeb deaths that bring a lump to my throat but this is one.

:-(

He used to live near Hambledon, in fact i nearly ran him over whilst he was walking his black labrador one morning.

Used to bring his kids in for ice cream when I worked at Ye Olde Tea Shoppe in Wickham in my youth. Always a nice bloke. RIP

A really sad day, and a thread which would probably be beytter suited to the main board. I think it's probably come as a bit of a shock to everyone. While there was obviously a lot of controversy while he was with Saints (which lets not forget was a complete farce, and should never have gone as far as it did), he was a good manager. Guiding Wolves to promotion and Cardiff to an FA cup final is no mean feat, which he deserves a lot of credit for.

RIP Dave Jones.

Very sad news.

As a kid I loved the Monkees, I remember they were shown during tha six week holidays, it was one of the things you could gaurantee would be shown, (along with Why Don't You, Banannasplit & The Arabian Knights). As others have alluded to they were the very best manufactured band, the early material was recorded by session musicians, but from rudimentary beginings (all four were actually reasonable musicians to start with, but not good enough), they learned their trade & evolved into a decent "propper" band, touring and realeasing their own music.

Rip Davy Jones, singer songwriter & grandson of Ena Sharples.