Jim Steele story on Daily Echo website

Yeovil Saint

The Echo are doing their usual stirring act:

SAINTS legend Jim Steele has revealed he was asked to leave the Dell Sports Bar at St Mary’s earlier this season.

Steele, man of the match when Saints won the 1976 FA Cup final, was ejected from the cafe shortly after moving back to the area in September.

The 62 year-old said: “I’d heard all the things about Le Tissier and Cortese and this and that so when I bought two tickets for the Aston Villa game soon after moving down, I gave my name as ‘James Steele’.

“I was hardly going to say ‘Jim Steele’ even though the girl at the ticket office was only young and wouldn’t have known who I was.

“But the guy behind her said ‘I thought it was you Steeley!’ I said ‘don’t say anything, I might not get a ticket!’ “I don’t totally disagree with what’s been going on, so I bought two tickets thinking one of the ex-Saints would show up sooner or later.

“I went on to the supporters’ club below the stand and two or three came over to shake my hand and say it was great to see me back in town.

“Then this young kid came over and said ‘are you a member sir’? I said ‘no I’m an ex-Saint’ and he said ‘sorry you’re not allowed in, this is a supporters’ club’.

“I don’t blame Cortese for making us buy tickets but to not be allowed in the supporters club...! It wasn’t as if I wanted a free drink or anything!

“I love Saints but this sort of thing doesn’t happen at any other top club. It doesn’t make sense.

“After being thrown out I wasn’t even going to go to the game, but the pub round the corner made me feel so welcome. “I went with one of them in the end and it was a great win. I’ve been to every game since.”

So the story boils down to he didn't get membership to the Sports Bar (that everyone's got to pay £45 for) and he's put out that he wasn't allowed in. I can't see that the club's in the wrong (though it sounds like the club man might not have explained it to Jim very well).

It sounds like he is trying to blame NC for it, but I am pretty sure the chairman would be oblivious to this.

He went incognito and got treated like any punter. Not nice to read, but not he clubs fault. I doubt that anyone working in that bar would recognise him.

Should ex-players be able to turn up and have drink with supporters in the members bar? Absolutely, but they should phone ahead first....

Why are the echo stirring? They are reporting news and it's news that a member of the 76 cup winning side was thrown out of the supporters club by some busy steward. It's hardly stirring. Jim Steele should be welcomed into the club with open arms, not treated like a nobody.

Why are the echo stirring? They are reporting news and it's news that a member of the 76 cup winning side was thrown out of the supporters club by some busy steward. It's hardly stirring. Jim Steele should be welcomed into the club with open arms, not treated like a nobody.

He could walk up & shake my hand & I could honestly say I wouldn't recognise him.

He was asked to leave (not thrown out!) by a steward because he was not a paying member. Perhaps the steward did not know who he was but even if he was known as an ex player, should Jim have been allowed to visit the bar without being a member? That is a different question.

He was asked to leave (not thrown out!) by a steward because he was not a paying member. Perhaps the steward did not know who he was but even if he was known as an ex player, should Jim have been allowed to visit the bar without being a member? That is a different question.

Agreed, it's a total non-story as usual.

should Jim have been allowed to visit the bar without being a member? That is a different question.

Of course they should, business wise it's a no-brainer.

My mate took some clients to the Terry Paine suite a few years back and ended up sitting with Steele. They said he was a right laugh with some excellent stories. Made their day.

Edited by aintforever

Sure, it would be a sensible thing for ex-players to be allowed to frequent the club bar (I might even think of signing up if I thought I might meet some of my ex-heroes), but in this case an arrangement was not in place and therefore the steward was correct in his action.

I have to say though, if Cortese was as business-savvy as its thought, then you would think he might empower his employees to make sensible decisions to act in a manner that will lead to enhanced goodwill with supporters. 'Customer' satisfaction is everything in today's top companies.

Its not news, it happened in September. If they reported it then it would have been NEWs. Still have to agree that a legend like Big Jim should be welcomed, a nicer bloke you could not hope to meet. Guess this means he is no longer at The Bear in Moreton in the Marsh. Always enjoyed a quick beer there when visiting on odd occasion.

Its not news, it happened in September. If they reported it then it would have been NEWs. Still have to agree that a legend like Big Jim should be welcomed, a nicer bloke you could not hope to meet. Guess this means he is no longer at The Bear in Moreton in the Marsh. Always enjoyed a quick beer there when visiting on odd occasion.

Nice strategic time for echo to go to print then...

Agenda driven mugs...

He just turned up unannounced and tried to get into the supporters lounge ?

To me it sounds like he expected VIP treatment at the drop of a hat,I am sure ex-players from all clubs cant just rock up at a club and get in where ever they want especially when they played 30+ years ago,

The typical cry-babies out in force complaining that the Echo aren't being all nice and fluffy with their reporting. Give them some access and maybe they wouldn't feel the need to report stuff like this.

Jim Steele was one of Lawrie's guests when I did Ambassadors Lounge a few years back (when corporate entertaining at St. Mary's used to be good). Great host, he got up and told a few stories and gave everyone a good laugh. Its to the club's chaigrin that they don't look to improve the supporters' experience by having ex-players around the place; that's what corp entertaining is much about.

The typical cry-babies out in force complaining that the Echo aren't being all nice and fluffy with their reporting. Give them some access and maybe they wouldn't feel the need to report stuff like this.

Jim Steele was one of Lawrie's guests when I did Ambassadors Lounge a few years back (when corporate entertaining at St. Mary's used to be good). Great host, he got up and told a few stories and gave everyone a good laugh. Its to the club's chaigrin that they don't look to improve the supporters' experience by having ex-players around the place; that's what corp entertaining is much about.

I'm sure you haven't lost your ability to reason and quite gone krakers yet krakers!

Being objective, the echo have a blatant and transparent desire to peddle all things 'bad' coming out if the club in recent times.

Why is this?

Lol at the picture. The presence of Lawrie next to him probably explains it all really. To be honest, if he had gone through the correct channels at the club he probably would have got a good welcome. I think the idea that he can just walk into a members only area and expect to be recognised and welcomed like a hero shows a touch of arrogance.

That aside, he was great player. I try to remember the good times and not just his **** up against Anderlecht

So, he was there as a guest, presumably pre-arranged? The Echo non-story suggests that in the case they are reporting, he just rocked up there, walked in, and was shocked to be asked to leave. I'm sure he's a great guy with many stories to tell, and a Saints hero for his part in the 76 final, but as others have pointed out, why would the current SMS stewards even recognise him? That was 30-plus years ago.

Totally agree - so long as they don't expect to be paid for it. The reward for corporate entertainment should be a seat to watch the game. Nothing more.

He's 6.5 balls of steal . Jim you cannot turn up and expect to get into the supporters club . There's a membership fee . I was a member for many years at the dell and once it became unviable in the end due to the cost of airfares . I asked to go in on one occasion and they said I couldn't go in as my membership had lapsed . So it's not only ex players that get refused . Sorry Jim you have been used by the echo . Just coincidence the echo should publish your story on the weekend mp and nc give interviews . No just the friggin echo stirring the ****

Well I would recognise him and I am a Dell Supporters Club member. Unfortunately this season it was made Members only with no guests signed in or otherwise. The stewards on the door are a warm friendly bunch and the Club is not busy after the game and so I am surprised they did not allow him in. We do not have current or ex players in the Club before the game or a host with the quiz or even the team advised. It is a different proposition to the one in the Archers Road.

All it really takes is a little common sense. If someone had pointed-out to the lad that it was Jim Steele in the bar, I'm sure a senior member of staff could have been summoned and had

a polite quiet word in Jim's ear that he's more than welcome on this occassion to enjoy a pre-match drink - but in future he will need membership.

Ex-Players should be welcomed into the club with open arms. They should go about it in the right way though, rather than getting themselves into a members-only area and complaining afterwards.

I'd hope that if Jim Steele or any other ex-Saint wanted to visit, maybe even do a bit of networking and meet some fans, the club would welcome them in and find a place for them.

You can't blame the steward for doing their job - members only is pretty clear. Why the Echo feel the need to report this tiny story is odd, but then that's why I don't and won't ever buy the Echo, I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

I'm sure you haven't lost your ability to reason and quite gone krakers yet krakers!

Being objective, the echo have a blatant and transparent desire to peddle all things 'bad' coming out if the club in recent times.

Why is this?

Seriously; you have to ask?!

Let's think about it. The Echo is a local newspaper that has been barred from the club premesis (stadium and training ground) for a couple of years, has been refused any access to staff and players for all that time, and generally been treated with less than contempt by the club. Given all that, are you really surprised that they choose to print good and bad news stories, despite how relatively minor news they are at times?

Seriously; you have to ask?!

Let's think about it. The Echo is a local newspaper that has been barred from the club premesis (stadium and training ground) for a couple of years, has been refused any access to staff and players for all that time, and generally been treated with less than contempt by the club. Given all that, are you really surprised that they choose to print good and bad news stories, despite how relatively minor news they are at times?

Bit naive to simplify it all down to this.

Granted that's no majestic leap you've attempted there, but why were they banned in the first place is obviously a good place to start.

If you're looking to harbour a 'community and local relationship' with the club, you have to uphold your remit and adhere to those values in your reporting trends.

Echo just plain **** me off nowadays, like many others have stated on here, can't remember last time I picked one up for a bit of positive saints reading.

Doubt there is much in this episode but what I dont quite understand is this. Jim Steele was allowed entry but at some point was then asked if he was a member. What isn't clear is why the young kid asked him that. Would the staff generally recognise all members and question anyone they thought wasn't a member?

Bit naive to simplify it all down to this.

Granted that's no majestic leap you've attempted there, but why were they banned in the first place is obviously a good place to start.

If you're looking to harbour a 'community and local relationship' with the club, you have to uphold your remit and adhere to those values in your reporting trends.

Echo just plain **** me off nowadays, like many others have stated on here, can't remember last time I picked one up for a bit of positive saints reading.

Well we can pick the bones out of it all day whether it's right for the club to ostracise the Echo 2 years after a very minor transgression. Probably fair to say that neither party made themselves look good from the spat.

That said, if you're going to shut out the local media in such a way I don't think you can have any sort of complaint if the local media decide to take a harsher line on their reporting.

But if you think the Echo don't do positive reporting then I don't think you actually read it, or only see what you want to see.

Well we can pick the bones out of it all day whether it's right for the club to ostracise the Echo 2 years after a very minor transgression. Probably fair to say that neither party made themselves look good from the spat.

That said, if you're going to shut out the local media in such a way I don't think you can have any sort of complaint if the local media decide to take a harsher line on their reporting.

But if you think the Echo don't do positive reporting then I don't think you actually read it, or only see what you want to see.

Agree with the above. Surely it's time for the club/Echo to grow up and sort this out.

Sorry, don't entirely agree.

The selection and choices of stories the echo have decided to go to print with and also at the select times speaks volumes about the image of the club they desire to project.

In reference to eyes... only wanting to see... Well you'ld have to be blind to miss the obvious direction our silly local rag is currently pursuing.

It's sad to think of it, but the local papers are going the same way as the nationals, fewer and fewer readers and dropping like flies. This Echo feud wont be an issue in a year or two as the paper probably wont exist. You might be able to pick up a copy when you drop off your 35mm film for processing or post off your handwritten letters.

Sorry, don't entirely agree.

The selection and choices of stories the echo have decided to go to print with and also at the select times speaks volumes about the image of the club they desire to project.

In reference to eyes... only wanting to see... Well you'ld have to be blind to miss the obvious direction our silly local rag is currently pursuing.

You clearly don't read the paper if you stand by your comment "can't remember last time I picked one up for a bit of positive saints reading". They print some negative stuff, of course they do. Its vastly outnumbered by positive news stories. Just go on the Echo webiste, find their Saints page and look.

Guess the papers should've left the Saville story alone then seeing as though it happened so long ago.

Steele was asked to leave after a little commotion because people recognised him. The steward wouldn't have known him from Adam had people not been coming up to him shaking his hand etc. Said steward could've got on his radio and asked the powers that be for guidance...if there's anyone employed there who's over 40 or has a smidgen of respect for our great club's past.

You clearly don't read the paper if you stand by your comment "can't remember last time I picked one up for a bit of positive saints reading". They print some negative stuff, of course they do. Its vastly outnumbered by positive news stories. Just go on the Echo webiste, find their Saints page and look.

I'm yet to read anything positive about the overall impact Cortese has had on the club.

Loving this new Internet malarkey...

I'm yet to read anything positive about the overall impact Cortese has had on the club.

Loving this new Internet malarkey...

You're genuinely suggesting the Echo has never said anything positive about Cortese's impact since being here?

I'll leave it there if that's the case. Crikey.

Yet another rather trivial, but still illuminating, story.

To me, this anecdote is symptomatic of a rather officious approach by the club. It's not so much the decisions themselves, but the manner in which they're executed.

For out MotM in the 1976 FA Cup Final, perhaps let it go on his first appearance at the supporters club, then drop him a letter on the Monday from Cortese "Dear Jim, I was delighted to hear you were at the game on Saturday and we hope to see you back at St Mary's very soon. We're all enormously grateful for everything you did for Southampton in your distinguished career - especially, of course, on a particular May day in 1976. However, I hope I can draw your attention to our current policy without causing any offence or embarrassment. After long consideration, we have decided...etc etc"

Instead, you get some jumped up petty bureaucrat kicking him out on the spot.

I myself have experienced similar sorts of jobsworth behaviour under Cortese's chairmanship on several occasions and I find it grating, irritating, unnecessary and it leaves an unpleasant and sour taste in the mouth.

It would be so easy to sort out this "soft PR"/supporter relations/internal comms stuff, but they just haven't done so.

In all fairness there are only a few non superstar ex players who are instantly recognisable

I know very little about the supporters club

If they had ex players who are raconteurs to speak after the games it would be very tempting to get a membership

The club could pick who they want I expect a lot of the ex players would be happy with a couple tickets & travel expenses