SUI vs ENG

angelman

I know this is early days, but now we have beaten Switzerland away, we really should (based on our players) win every game in this group. Probably gonna have to end up eating those words, but I just don't see how I can justify us not beating all those teams given our players - although I guess the point here is players as individuals.

Either way, qualification looks like a waltz. Seems pretty pointless for the 'bigger' countries now that it is 24 qualify.

It wasn't a good result or there isn't a fk load of work to do before 2016?

I think my post is pretty self explanatory. We have won the hardest fixture in the group. We will do enough to finish second easily, we will probably win the group.

I thought the first half was very encouraging from England. We pressed high up the pitch, the 2 front men split wide to stop their full backs pushing on, the midfield did well, and the defence looked solid. we were unlucky not to go in 1 or 2 up. They only really had 1 shot of note, and Hart saved well with his legs.

The second half, they pressed on, as you'd expect and we sat back a little more... giving us some space in behind to exploit with pace. The plan (if indeed it was our plan) played out expertly.

Anyone who is saying that this was a poor performance or not an improvement on recent matches, needs their eyes tested.

I still cant for the life of me work out what Wilshere adds to the team, though. When Milner came on he (and we) were much more solid in the middle of the park. He (Wilshere) looked like a lost little boy in the middle of the pitch and seemed surprised when the ball was passed to him.

I thought the first half was very encouraging from England. We pressed high up the pitch, the 2 front men split wide to stop their full backs pushing on, the midfield did well, and the defence looked solid. we were unlucky not to go in 1 or 2 up. They only really had 1 shot of note, and Hart saved well with his legs.

The second half, they pressed on, as you'd expect and we sat back a little more... giving us some space in behind to exploit with pace. The plan (if indeed it was our plan) played out expertly.

Anyone who is saying that this was a poor performance or not an improvement on recent matches, needs their eyes tested.

I still cant for the life of me work out what Wilshere adds to the team, though. When Milner came on he (and we) were much more solid in the middle of the park. He (Wilshere) looked like a lost little boy in the middle of the pitch and seemed surprised when the ball was passed to him.

Struggle to work out where or how Wilshere is best used. There's clearly some talent in there somewhere, but he just hasnt pushed on as anyone would have liked. He certainly isn't a DM though.

Struggle to work out where or how Wilshere is best used. There's clearly some talent in there somewhere, but he just hasnt pushed on as anyone would have liked. He certainly isn't a DM though.

I personally wonder why Tom Huddlestone hasn't been called in, would be far more comfortable in that role then Wilshere. Equally, this on football365 made me gasp somewhat.

John Stones

Faced a big test against the Swiss footballer of the year, Ricardo Rodriguez, but handled himself well on his competitive debut. The biggest concern regarding Stones is that he lacks the pace to provide attacking support in a diamond formation. England would be much stronger in this system with a fully fit and in-form Kyle Walker.

I personally wonder why Tom Huddlestone hasn't been called in, would be far more comfortable in that role then Wilshere. Equally, this on football365 made me gasp somewhat.

Yeah, I like Huddlestone. I think it was Adrian I was talking about this recently. He does lack a bit of mobility, but he's got to be better than anyone else we've got in a holding role. At least that is actually his position. Henderson has a decent engine on him, and has impressed recently to be fair to the guy. That might work as a deep midfield axis, it may at least be worth giving a go.

Jack Cork would be a possible alternate, but he has to nail down a starting XI place here first. Never easy with Big Vic & Morgan also playing in your position. Nice position for Saints to be in though :)

Oh and FFS Woy, just sodding call up Clyne. Or play Chambers RB. Both are better than Walker.

I would like to see Clyne and Shaw in at full back to add some pace and attacking support over the qualifying campaign and we will look a lot stronger. Swap out jones for Chambers and give him a run to help him develop and I think we would look a damn sight stronger. All in all a decent performance though.

I would like to see Clyne and Shaw in at full back to add some pace and attacking support over the qualifying campaign and we will look a lot stronger. Swap out jones for Chambers and give him a run to help him develop and I think we would look a damn sight stronger. All in all a decent performance though.

Ever one to be a contrarian, i think we should stick with Jones. He needs to stick to CB, imo it's his best position. He has been alright so far this season and I do think there is potential in him to be a very good CB, he is still pretty young as defenders go. Just don't play him with Smalling. Actually, just don't play Smalling at all.

IMO the "Job-Done" brigade are looking at qualifying as an end rather than a means-to-an-end.

It means England will qualify for France 2016 and then get butt-f**ked in the group stage.

But you don't care about England so what does it matter to you?

Ever one to be a contrarian, i think we should stick with Jones. He needs to stick to CB, imo it's his best position. He has been alright so far this season and I do think there is potential in him to be a very good CB, he is still pretty young as defenders go. Just don't play him with Smalling. Actually, just don't play Smalling at all.

I rated him at Blackburn but since going to Man United he's had a few injuries and not had a settled position. Can't help a player who is still young and learning the game

A problem for me is we also don't have a decent, true defensive central midfielder. Wilshire is not the man for that job. Going to be a huge problem when we play a top nation as they all have very good attacking central midfielders. Can anyone think of a decent English one? Lee Cattermole perhaps ;-)

Decent performance and beat a side that don't loose at home to anyone very often, got a little bit of luck but then so did they! I much prefer the look of the England side when we get away from 442, some of the personnel could do with a swap I wouldn't play Wilshere let alone as a holding midfielder he needs to go back to Arsenal and build some form. The right back situation is laughable I think the whole saints team should warm up in Clyne for England T-Shirts it's crazy that we are using an inexperienced centre half to fill in at right back when Clyne suits that formation perfectly. Jones is a liability at the minute and is another who needs to go back to his club and earn another call up short term I'd put Jags back in but we need to develop someone to take the role long term which means Stones and Chambers need to both be playing week in week out and centre back which doesn't seem to be happening.

No we won't win Euro 2016 but we will qualify and perform ok with a young side, not the finished article but definite signs of improvement.

Still can't believe the number of muppets on here that said Welbeck wasn't good enough for us!

I rated him at Blackburn but since going to Man United he's had a few injuries and not had a settled position. Can't help a player who is still young and learning the game

A problem for me is we also don't have a decent, true defensive central midfielder. Wilshire is not the man for that job. Going to be a huge problem when we play a top nation as they all have very good attacking central midfielders. Can anyone think of a decent English one? Lee Cattermole perhaps ;-)

Agree with this. As I said, needs to stick to CB imo. As awful a cliche as it is, he's a victim of his versatility.

Agree with DM. Hence above, saying I wouldn't mind Huddlestone given a go. I know he's far from a world beater, but at least he is a DM. Far better than trying to play an attack minded CM there (Wilshere). Cork or maybe yeah Cattermole. Please just play someone there. Right now a recall for Barry is an attractive option. What does that say about England :mcinnes:

Surprised you've got the nerve to show yourself round these parts any more considering how your angry, insecure, attention-seeking and agressive posting style has been totally and utterly ridiculed and destroyed by saintbletch...

I've destroyed your relentless pie eyed garbage every freaking week on this forum for five years or more.

Never stopped you coming back, has it choccy?

Surprised you've got the nerve to show yourself round these parts any more considering how your angry, insecure, attention-seeking and agressive posting style has been totally and utterly ridiculed and destroyed by saintbletch...

In the words of the great man Jack White; "I've said it once before, but it bears repeating now"

alpine_saint, never knowingly self-aware.

It doesnt. That doesnt prevent me from commenting on it.

So you don't care about The England team and you're negative in comments about this.

You comment negatively about saints because you care so much.

What's your view on things you've only got a passing interest?

So you don't care about The England team and you're negative in comments about this.

You comment negatively about saints because you care so much.

What's your view on things you've only got a passing interest?

I decide on a case-by-case basis, as any intelligent person not fixated on silly little WUM victories on an internet chat-page would, Turkey...

I decide on a case-by-case basis, as any intelligent person not fixated on silly little WUM victories on an internet chat-page would, Turkey...

So you're not sure what things you just have a passing interest in? How odd.

What about the England cricket team? Do you care about that?

Turkey LMFAO

Edited by Turkish

Agree with this. As I said, needs to stick to CB imo. As awful a cliche as it is, he's a victim of his versatility.

Agree with DM. Hence above, saying I wouldn't mind Huddlestone given a go. I know he's far from a world beater, but at least he is a DM. Far better than trying to play an attack minded CM there (Wilshere). Cork or maybe yeah Cattermole. Please just play someone there. Right now a recall for Barry is an attractive option. What does that say about England :mcinnes:

If Jones had signed for Saints and not ManU I think he would be an England regular by now. I just hope that he, Chambers and Stones all play regularly at CB this season for their respective clubs. We will then hopefully have four decent CB's.

I thought Stones was ok at RB, good defensively but poor going forward, we were crying out for Clyne. Surely he will get his chance in the next squad.

So you're not sure what things you just have a passing interest in? How odd.

What about the England cricket team? Do you care about that?

Turkey LMFAO

Oh dear. Illiteracy alert...

You asked what my view is on issues I have a passing interest in, and I said I decide on a case-by-case basis; meaning as my "interest" "passes" over the issue...

If you want my opinion on something which isnt the centre of my world, please advise what it is so I can either give you it, or spend a moment thinking about it if I havent already.

I have a "passing interest" in the Scottish independence referendum, and I decided as my interest passed over that I dont give a f**k either way.

Oh dear. Illiteracy alert...

You asked what my view is on issues I have a passing interest in, and I said I decide on a case-by-case basis; meaning as my "interest" "passes" over the issue...

If you want my opinion on something which isnt the centre of my world, please advise what it is so I can either give you it, or spend a moment thinking about it if I havent already.

I have a "passing interest" in the Scottish independence referendum, and I decided as my interest passed over that I dont give a f**k either way.

Illiteracy? I think that might be you my chunky chum. Was it a care, don't care or passing interest in the cricket team?

Without wishing to be a "*insert saints players name* is the answer what is the question?" then Cork should be given a go as there really isn't anyone else.

Astonishingly poor team selection matched by some inept performances. How did we win.

Really? This place is weird. We played very well, on the whole. I agree that selecting Stones was stupid, but apart from that, formation, everything was good. We do need to find a proper DM, though.

The difference between the mainstream reaction and here is funny.

Without wishing to be a "*insert saints players name* is the answer what is the question?" then Cork should be given a go as there really isn't anyone else.

I wouldn't be adverse to Corky being given a go. He's as good as anyone else England have in a more defensive midfield role, and it's certainly more suited to it than an out of position Wilshere. Again, Cork's problem is that he isn't going to be playing every week for us. Anyone else in the country and it would be suggested "he can't even get into *mid-table club name* team, how is he good enough for England?". So it may well be Saints lensed biased on my(/our) part.

I thought that Delph was supposed to play as DM last night but clearly not given the positions he was getting into. Thought he had a decent game though.

Lots of positive comments on the performance on the radio today. I still think that defensively we were caught out too many times - probably as said through the lack of cover in midfield. Shame Morgan isnt English. Still a lot of work to be done but at least there were more positives last night and with the return of all of the injured players we will have more strength to pick from.