Who Is Our Emergency Keeper

John Boy Saint

That old sports stars challenge thing featuring Matty was on the box tonight. The Daughter said he won a goal keeping challenge last week, which reminded me that there was something about him being pretty good in goal and that he was the emergency goalie if we had used all our subs and the Keeper got crocked.

Most of us remember Dexter Blackstock between the sticks at St James Park. More recently I recall it being mentioned that Morgan was the emergency keeper should he be needed.

I wonder who has that job in the team now he has gone?

That old sports stars challenge thing featuring Matty was on the box tonight. The Daughter said he won a goal keeping challenge last week, which reminded me that there was something about him being pretty good in goal and that he was the emergency goalie if we had used all our subs and the Keeper got crocked.

Most of us remember Dexter Blackstock between the sticks at St James Park.

More recently I recall it being mentioned that Morgan was the emergency keeper should he be needed.

I wonder who has that job in the team now he has gone?

unless I'm very much mistaken, and judging by the fact that he recently signed a new 4 year contract.. I'd say the answer to that one is ....Paulo Gazzaniga

unless I'm very much mistaken, and judging by the fact that he recently signed a new 4 year contract.. I'd say the answer to that one is ....Paulo Gazzaniga

Read it again David, we are in the 82nd minute, 1-0 up to win the title, all the 3 subs are used, goalie gets a severe smack in the chops and is stretchered off down the tunnel, we only have 10 outfield players to replace him............

Read it again David, we are in the 82nd minute, 1-0 up to win the title, all the 3 subs are used, goalie gets a severe smack in the chops and is stretchered off down the tunnel, we only have 10 outfield players to replace him............

can't get that bit into my head.......I'm still dwelling on the thought of us being 8 mins (+ inevitable stoppage time) ....away from winning the title.:lol:

ask me another ......

I think we should do what we did at St James Park, namely bully a junior player into doing it, even if he has absolutely no desire to do so. Having an outfield player prepare for such an emergency is a waste of time, and totally unnecessary. Just like practicing penalties for a World Cup, which is just a lottery anyway.

I think we should do what we did at St James Park, namely bully a junior player into doing it, even if he has absolutely no desire to do so. Having an outfield player prepare for such an emergency is a waste of time, and totally unnecessary. Just like practicing penalties for a World Cup, which is just a lottery anyway.

Well THAT'S just wrong. There's loads of research saying skill and mental strength impact on the outcomes.

http://www.bases.org.uk/Psychological-Preparation-for-Football-Penalty-Shootouts

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/05/21/revealed-the-art-of-winning-a-major-tournament-penalty-shootout-210501/

"Strikers have the best conversion rate (85.52 per cent) with defenders (70.79 per cent) and midfielders (70.67 per cent) virtually the same.

A significantly higher success rate for younger players age 18-24 (79 per cent) and older players aged 31-plus (82 per cent) than ‘peak year’ players aged 25-30 (71.5 per cent).

A significant drop-off in success as pressure grows, with success rates dropping from 80 per cent for the first kicks per team to a low of 63 per cent for the fourth kicks.

A huge difference in success rate in different placements, with 91 per cent of kicks aimed high and right being scored, but as few as 55 cent when hit high and middle."

http://footieridiculosity.tumblr.com/post/91540666574/penalties-are-a-lottery-and-other-myths-of

tumblr_inline_n8lijdg5bP1sz2xow.png

"The real mystery is why this “penalties are lotteries” school of thought is so pervasive. My pet theory is that it’s a consolation fairytale English pundits cling to (and evangelise via the global media outlets that hire them) to feel better about England losing six out of seven shoot-outs in World Cup history. I’d love to hear perspectives from other countries. I doubt the Germans spend much time banging on about how full of entropy and injustice shoot-outs are."

tumblr_inline_n8lj31gnsw1sz2xow.jpg

Lottery it isn't.

Equally, having Long as a back up keeper would be better than most as he's got experience in handling a ball in a competitive sporting environment, even if it was as an U-18 gaelic football Munster junior champion for Tipperary.

Edited by The9

Whoosh!

Seriously, I've long been an advocate for the goalie sub being independent of the 3 outfield subs. What's wrong with allowing 3 outfield subs PLUS a goalie sub for injuries? A team could use 3 subs, due to a couple of injuries and maybe one tactical, and then unfairly get screwed when their goalie gets injured.

Given the current rules, the team should have at least two emergency goalies, with at least one a regular in the team. Not much point having the emergency goalie and the reserve goalie both on the bench when disaster strikes.

Well THAT'S just wrong. There's loads of research saying skill and mental strength impact on the outcomes.

:thumbup: And practice. In the 1998 World Cup finals when England lost to Argentina on penalties, England coach Glenn Hoddle admitted they hadn't even practiced them in training. The penalty that knocked England out was taken by David Batty, who had never taken a penalty in his life.

:thumbup: And practice. In the 1998 World Cup finals when England lost to Argentina on penalties, England coach Glenn Hoddle admitted they hadn't even practiced them in training. The penalty that knocked England out was taken by David Batty, who had never taken a penalty in his life.

I met Sven-Göran Ericsson at a PR signing in Stockholm (prior to the World Cup 2002).

I pointed out to him that England had gone out of numerous tournaments because of poor penalty taking. (A fact he said.. he was unaware of).

Two weeks later....in a press interview....he said that he was organising extra penalty practice..but it was one of those tournaments where we didn 't have to take them.

It was the one and only time I've given advice to an England manager :smug:.... the more recent ones think they know it all....:lol: