Europa League - Qualification question.

Saint86

My understanding is that the prem gets as standard 4 CL places, and 1 Europa league place.

Then, if a top 5 team wins the capital one cup, 6th place gets the EL spot?

Then, if a top 6 team wins the FA Cup, 7th place gets the EL spot?

But then, if 7th place win the CL, doesn't 8th place get the EL spot?

Or do i have this totally wrong? General question :D

If we finish 7th then we need United to win the FA cup and if we finish 8th we need Liverpool to win the Europa Cup thus qualifying for the Champions League,for us to qualify.(I think)

"It should also be stated," he added, "that an association with, for example, four places in the UEFA Champions League can increase their participation to five places should a club from their association win the UEFA Europa League in the previous season.

"If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via their domestic league, then the association remains with four places in the UEFA Champions League. If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Europa League via their domestic league, it results in five clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, and two – not three – participating in the UEFA Europa League."

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/execu...d=2226990.html

"It should also be stated," he added, "that an association with, for example, four places in the UEFA Champions League can increase their participation to five places should a club from their association win the UEFA Europa League in the previous season.

"If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via their domestic league, then the association remains with four places in the UEFA Champions League. If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Europa League via their domestic league, it results in five clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, and two – not three – participating in the UEFA Europa League."

So what happens if they finish 8th or lower?

Are we sure that's good enough, if Liverpool are 8th but qualify by winning the Europa cup?

But then I think we would have 3 places as we are designated 1 league place, and 2 x cup places! Say if we won capital one cup and Palace won the FA cup, both finished outside 5th. You couldn't just take away one of those 3 designated places from one of the clubs because the bladdy scousers won Europa

Edited by Saint IQ

Thanks - doesn't seem to cover the scenario in which the club in question wins the Europa but doesn't qualify otherwise but presumably we should infer that there would only be 2 places in that case.

So we need to cheer on United and Sevilla?

Thanks - doesn't seem to cover the scenario in which the club in question wins the Europa but doesn't qualify otherwise but presumably we should infer that there would only be 2 places in that case.

So we need to cheer on United and Sevilla?

Utd yes. But it doesn't matter if Liverpool win or lose. It only goes down to 2 EL if they finish in an EL spot but qualify for CL. For example, if they win EL and finish 8th they enter CL and the PL gets the usual 4 CL + 3 EL, plus a bonus CL for Liverpool (so 5 CL + 3 EL total). But if they win EL and finish 7th (say) and Utd win the cup, then their EL spot gets converted to CL for them, but no extra EL spot is opened up below them. So instead of 4 CL + 3 EL we get 5 CL + 2 EL. No-one gets punished, but 8th doesn't get rewarded either.

During the press conference today a journalist made the statement if MU win the cup and Liverpool win the EL eight teams will qualify. RK agreed with him and said he wanted Liverpool to win.

I find it strange that he wouldn't know the rules as he has been banging on about Europe all season.

During the press conference today a journalist made the statement if MU win the cup and Liverpool win the EL eight teams will qualify. RK agreed with him and said he wanted Liverpool to win.

I find it strange that he wouldn't know the rules as he has been banging on about Europe all season.

Not so strange. Pellegrini didn't know how the away goal rule worked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10509964/Manuel-Pellegrinis-blunder-costs-Manchester-City-chance-to-top-Champions-League-group.html

Plus, he may have understood the question to refer to Liverpool finishing 8th.

Eight slots are only available if Liverpool win and finish 8th or low. We still want Liverpool to win the EL, just not their EPL games. We need to finish ahead of them, or Man U, or West Ham. Preferably two of them.

So in summery , it won't make a blind bit of difference if Liverpool win the Europa league or not . Or am I missing something

You're not missing anything, that is correct. But we do need to cheer Man Utd in the cup. Which may be painful for some of us.

it's pretty easy folks.

01) Root for Saints to get two more wins to finish 7th.

02) Root for Man U to win the FA Cup.

03) Root for Liverpool's opponents in League play so they finish 8th.

and finally,

04) root for Liverpool to lose in the 90th minute to Seville in the Europa League Championship - So that they will go from the cusp of qualifying for CL to not being in Europe at all.

But then I think we would have 3 places as we are designated 1 league place, and 2 x cup places! Say if we won capital one cup and Palace won the FA cup, both finished outside 5th. You couldn't just take away one of those 3 designated places from one of the clubs because the bladdy scousers won Europa

This is true. Which is why they're only saying the EL winner's CL place removes an EL place IF the CL winner is already an EL qualifier. It's also why the assumption is that 3 EL places remain if Liverpool finish outside the EL qualifying places. And now I've found the Access List, I'm pretty sure (finally) that's the case.

The access list shows there are 6 European places plus the FA Cup winner. The Lge Cup winner gets one in England (and France). They only remove an EL place if Liverpool have already got one, otherwise it remains 3.

access%20list%20official%2016-17.png

Edited by The9

So in summary , it won't make a blind bit of difference if Liverpool win the Europa league or not . Or am I missing something

Yeah, it doesn't actually matter by the looks of it. Which makes sense because the EL TH slot is meant to be independent of the national qualifying places anyway, they can only cost the Prem an EL slot only they can fill.

I'm still pleased they're playing Sunday/Wednesday/Sunday/Wednesday and the EL Final is after the final prem match so they're going to struggle to focus, especially if Chelsea beat them 3 days before.

If Liverpool finish 8th and win EL they trump 7th's place in Europe...England have a maximum of 7 teams in Europe next season...

Not true. Thought this for a while, but Liverpool can only lose an EL slot they've qualified for.

OH actually maybe not. So yeah top 6 for sure, 7th and we need united to win the cup. 8th and there is no chance.

But doesn't this all change if United beat Citeh to 4th spot? Which is highly likely now. Or does it stay the same since Citeh have already got a EL spot through the Capital One Cup?

But doesn't this all change if United beat Citeh to 4th spot? Which is highly likely now. Or does it stay the same since Citeh have already got a EL spot through the Capital One Cup?

You've got it.

Basically, 5th is a EL place, straight into the group stage, whatever. 6th is an EL place, but will be an automatic group stage place if Utd beat Palace. 7th will be a third qualifying EL place if Utd beat Palace. If Palace beat Utd, then the league positions will end at 6th

Sky Sports website now emphatically saying that 8th can qualify - even from here. I am reading on the app, so not sure how to cut and paste?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10275547/the-premier-league-race-for-champions-league-and-europa-league-qualification

"Defeat to Sevilla and an eighth-placed Premier League finish would see Liverpool miss out on European qualification altogether"

Finally the penny has dropped. :rolleyes: Maybe they have been reading our thread(s).

The other question is should we qualify will the tickets be done on priority for those of us that made the aways in Europe last time or will it go on aways done this season? Since they didn't count the European aways against normal away priority this season for some strange reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10275547/the-premier-league-race-for-champions-league-and-europa-league-qualification

"Defeat to Sevilla and an eighth-placed Premier League finish would see Liverpool miss out on European qualification altogether"

Finally the penny has dropped. :rolleyes: Maybe they have been reading our thread(s).

We can always hope.