Thoughts were Koeman to return (hypothetically)?

eddie

Just interesting in scouting the forum opinion on this. Given he's had premier league offers since the sacking and has turned them down, as well as ruling himself out the Swans job, I wondered what the possibility is of him returning.

Pellegrino sacking isn't impossible, and if results don't improve becomes increasingly likely.

The vacant position isn't the most attractive in the premier league, and would add to the idea Southampton's 'stability' and 'solid structure behind the scenes' is losing it's mojo.

Having said that, Koeman did an excellent job for us in the grand scheme of things.

Two top finishes and a structured defense, along with key signings (perhaps more down to Paul Mitchell who left for Spurs) mean I wouldn't be against the idea.

Personally the way it finished with Koeman, much of it rumours, soured my view of the guy. That being said, I think it wouldn't be the worst idea to bring him back, if he'd accept, along with two attacking signings in January with Van Dijk going the other way, my preferred option.

Thoughts?

I've lost faith in the belief that a new manager will suddenly get us playing together better and scoring more. I say stick with what we have and build slowly.

Although if we lose to Huddersfield tomorrow I reserve the right to come on here and say the exact opposite.

Did a brilliant job when he was here. Him along with Les Reed got the club reaching higher and higher heights that I didn't think was even remotely possible under previous regimes. Helped the club go from strength to strength peaking in that sixth place finish. Brilliant. Right man at the right time.

While I have no doubt he could come in and secure us in this division this season, I'm not particularly comfortable with how it would pan out longer term.

We need rid of Pellegrino but I don't want to go back to Koeman.

Why go for a Manager who's stock is so low, who couldn't motivate players when things were going badly.

We should go for someone who's stock is on the rise like that Leicester Fella.

Alternatively we could give a Manager a reasonable length of time to find out if he is actually any good or not.

Why go for a Manager who's stock is so low, who couldn't motivate players when things were going badly.

We should go for someone who's stock is on the rise like that Leicester Fella.

Alternatively we could give a Manager a reasonable length of time to find out if he is actually any good or not.

You don't think 18 games gives you a pretty good idea of wether he is actually any good or not?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Without doubt Koeman was a fantastic manager for us

He did however, despite all the sales in the summer of 2014 inherit the bases of a good squad.

We still had Yoshida, Fonte and Clyne at the back, he brought in Forstr, Toby Alderweireld and Ryan Bertrand all fantastic signings at the time. We also signed Gardos!

The midfield was arguably one of the best we have had Scheniederlin, Wanyama, Davis, Ward-Proswe and Cork.

Attacking wise we had an injured Jay rod, a young Sam Gallager and Mayuka (yes i know he was ****) He brought in Pelle, tadic, Long and Mane who all again were fantastic players for us.(I know Tadic gets a lot of stick but personally with the right players around him he's still a great player).

We signed a couple of players in January Elia and Durjic on loan.

In his 2nd season again we had a solid squad. We sold Clyne, Scheniederlin. Toby didn't renew his loan and Forster was injured. We got in Stekelnburg, Cedric, Van Dijk, Clasie, Romeu all good signings(Personally I thought Clasie done ok) We also signed Martina and Juanmi.

In January Cork left and Austin came in.

I'm not so sure this squad of players are as strong as the squad Koeman had in his 2 season here and not convinced he would be able to sign the players he make think are required to improve us, but i do think he would get better out of the current squad than Pellegrino has so far. Like all managers there are always rumours that certain players didn't get on with him.