Sorry Jan, you got it wrong today ?

Smalls

Should have played Cork for starters and the Tottenham striker, Why ? because Cork is real class I was mightely impressed with him against Birmingham. these kids can not possibly manage as it stands Blackpool are no man u but it really was a comfortable win for them. Our central pairing at the back must be the slowest in the league and we will come unstuck.

Finally 2 home games 2 defeats, not good at all and the attendance will get worse still.

Should have played Cork for starters and the Tottenham striker, Why ? because Cork is real class I was mightely impressed with him against Birmingham. these kids can not possibly manage as it stands Blackpool are no man u but it really was a comfortable win for them. Our central pairing at the back must be the slowest in the league and we will come unstuck.

Finally 2 home games 2 defeats, not good at all and the attendance will get worse still.

Cork is also a "kid" by the way.

Played the same team that ****ed all over derby. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

a **** poor result today, first half display was ok but no end product.

very worried here

ps. leicester are top of their league, bring back NP

They are also a league below us. Means absolutely f'all. I was definitely one of these desperate to keep NP but I really like Poortvliet, although he needs to come up with a plan B.

a **** poor result today, first half display was ok but no end product.

very worried here

ps. leicester are top of their league, bring back NP

Top of the league and only another 120 odd points available to the rest - looks like the jobs done - quick, get rid of JP and get me NP back here now....!!!

I don't think you can criticise JP for his starting line up. It was the same team that beat Derby and all 11 of them earned their place. There was also no need to change the system, so it seemed like a solid plan to start with.

The problem arose, as many have already pointed out, with Plan B, or the lack thereof. The flexibility needed for proper 'total football' was quite evidently missing and we looked short of ideas in the second half.

They are also a league below us. Means absolutely f'all. I was definitely one of these desperate to keep NP but I really like Poortvliet, although he needs to come up with a plan B.

Agree with all this. Our plan B today seemed to be taking on a Championship defence with long balls and taking off our two ball playing midfielders. That's what Jan got wrong today IMO.

Have to agree with you there Smalls

its all about momentum - and playing Cork and Pekhart would have kept that going - that feeling that the team was coming together and getting stronger

and by all accounts Pekhart would give us the pace, power and goal instinct we are lacking upfront at the moment - in the same way Cork would have given us the pace we need at the back - or at least a young pair of legs!

And DMG played very well today, no need to play Pekhart.

McGoldrick did indeed play well today - but he is a second striker and we need a centre forward on the pitch at the same time

With Surman, Gillett, Schneiderlin and James feeding the ball to Holmes, McGoldrick and Lallana with Pekhart feeding off them in return

TBH the phrase "No Plan B" is haunting me ATM. Plan A is brilliant when it works.

I agree but it was obvious today that after 30 mins or so it was not. Today JP's tactics were very poor. The defence was pulled out of position with MS and CP running their nuts off as the full backs were no where to be seen. The other point which I know I have been on about before is this one up front. On several occasions today LH was pinging in crosses and there was no in the box!

I agree but it was obvious today that after 30 mins or so it was not. Today JP's tactics were very poor. The defence was pulled out of position with MS and CP running their nuts off as the full backs were no where to be seen. The other point which I know I have been on about before is this one up front. On several occasions today LH was pinging in crosses and there was no in the box!

I agree. I lost count of the number of times I saw us attacking with two wide men, DMG alone in the middle, and there were 7 Blackpool players defending in a semicircle based on the edge of their penalty area. Our midfield took an age to get up in support.

From where we were sitting the problem today was stuff all to do with a plan B. It was all the more to do with the complete lack of actually playing to plan A.

We sat down to watch this pass and move we have heard so much about and from the first few seconds we chipped the ball into the air.

To be honest apart from a few overcomplicated passing moves and a couple of jinks by DMG & Lallana it could very easily have been a replay of some games last year.

Plan A is football on the deck and pass and move, there were only very few occassions today where we seemed to play short balls instead of long hopeful balls into space.

It was execution today, not simply just planning. What JP needs to do is get the kids playing Plan A properly first and coping with their "off days". Adding a plan B now would just add too much confusion to the learning curve

From where we were sitting the problem today was stuff all to do with a plan B. It was all the more to do with the complete lack of actually playing to plan A.

We sat down to watch this pass and move we have heard so much about and from the first few seconds we chipped the ball into the air.

To be honest apart from a few overcomplicated passing moves and a couple of jinks by DMG & Lallana it could very easily have been a replay of some games last year.

Plan A is football on the deck and pass and move, there were only very few occassions today where we seemed to play short balls instead of long hopeful balls into space.

It was execution today, not simply just planning. What JP needs to do is get the kids playing Plan A properly first and coping with their "off days". Adding a plan B now would just add too much confusion to the learning curve

Then we have a big problem. Being able to change things to counteract the opposing side's changes in tactics is fundamental.........

I agree with that. I don't know if it was due to there being more pressure to perform well today, if it was due to the heat and therefore inability to maintain the work rate and high tempo, or if it was because Blackpool were an organised and physical side who were able to stop us playing. Whatever the reason was we need to learn to deal with it and improve.

Then we have a big problem. Being able to change things to counteract the opposing side's changes in tactics is fundamental.........

But this wasn't the problem in this game.

As Phil has said above, and others who were there have said, the problem is we were rubbish. We couldn't execute our own game.

It wasn't so much we were "counteracted" by Blackpool. Blackpool just played better and we played poorly.

All I could see were the wide players coming in far too tight and teeny tiny intricate passing moves going nowhere. I think that was less to do with anything Blackpool specifically did, and much more to us having a collective off day.

Whether these off days are the exception or the rule is the million dollar question of the season, and we'll know the answer by the end of October, I think.

I don't think you can criticise JP for his starting line up. It was the same team that beat Derby and all 11 of them earned their place. There was also no need to change the system, so it seemed like a solid plan to start with.

The problem arose, as many have already pointed out, with Plan B, or the lack thereof. The flexibility needed for proper 'total football' was quite evidently missing and we looked short of ideas in the second half.

What i didnt get is if our plan b is to bring Wotten on how does that = goals? In my mind we should of had Skacel on the bench. At least he can set up goals and score some himself. Ah well least we have got Pullis now, he is a goal threat! :rolleyes:

We are great at passing around the half way mark, our problem is when we try and pass it forward. Today Holmes i thought did some decent crosses just nobody was forward enough to get it. Blackpool hustled the ball and man marked well. So i dont think it was us having an off day as i have seen the same thing many times to know now if you work out our forward patterns you can stop it. In the 2nd half they worked that out and stopped Holmes and Lalanna totally and the chances dried up. As others have mentioned when that happens you need a plan B. Ours was to bring on Dyer and for the 1st 5mins or so it seemed to be ok, he then got double marked and that was it. Then we tried hoof ball. So i dont think it was an off day as i have seen it many times in pre-season, at Cardiff and against Brum. Teams that play us will find out quicker that if you stop Holmes and Lalanna you pretty much stop our free flowing passing which results in us self destructing.

We are great at passing around the half way mark, our problem is when we try and pass it forward. Today Holmes i thought did some decent crosses just nobody was forward enough to get it. Blackpool hustled the ball and man marked well. So i dont think it was us having an off day as i have seen the same thing many times to know now if you work out our forward patterns you can stop it. In the 2nd half they worked that out and stopped Holmes and Lalanna totally and the chances dried up. As others have mentioned when that happens you need a plan B. Ours was to bring on Dyer and for the 1st 5mins or so it seemed to be ok, he then got double marked and that was it. Then we tried hoof ball. So i dont think it was an off day as i have seen it many times in pre-season, at Cardiff and against Brum. Teams that play us will find out quicker that if you stop Holmes and Lalanna you pretty much stop our free flowing passing which results in us self destructing.

That's a very perceptive analysis. Why is it that you can see it but others can't?

I would have thought that Holmes put in maybe 3 crosses first half and 3 second??

In the first half, one fell at the back post and McG and Lallana were both front! Would have been a bloody tap in!

In the second half, no-one seemed to be in the box at all! But it was tough to see from where we were.

I'm not convinced they 'stopped' us - didn't see that. Saw us play some really, really poor balls and too many of them behind the receiver.

Yep, credit to Blackpool they stepped up. But the movement was poor today. At throw ins and corners we simply weren't showing enough.

It just wasn't the same team who played the last three games - IMHO.

What i didnt get is if our plan b is to bring Wotten on how does that = goals? In my mind we should of had Skacel on the bench. At least he can set up goals and score some himself. Ah well least we have got Pullis now, he is a goal threat! :rolleyes:

Skacel has an injured ankle, he was on crutches last week. Where did playing Skacel come from, or do you really not know who is injured or not.

Have to agree with you there Smalls

its all about momentum - and playing Cork and Pekhart would have kept that going - that feeling that the team was coming together and getting stronger

and by all accounts Pekhart would give us the pace, power and goal instinct we are lacking upfront at the moment - in the same way Cork would have given us the pace we need at the back - or at least a young pair of legs!

And with this comes the problem of winning the two previous games. The other players may have had more time to integrate, so rather than upset the 'gang' mentality that has emerged, the new boys may now get put in, seeing as the established youngsters have had a chance to fail.

That's a very perceptive analysis. Why is it that you can see it but others can't?

Because they are biased :) We all want us to win but football like most combative things is all about tactics and ability to change them. If you play a certain way all the time your opponent will work it out. Football is like boxing, you try to find ways to hit the person, if you keep throwing the same type of punch your opponent will be aware of it and expect it thus making it easier to deal with. Our problem is we are very limited in our moves, hence why very few if any teams play total football today.

They said about a week he would be out

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1783_4024625,00.html

Seeing as that was 9 days ago would expect him to be near returning.

On 24th August the club stated it would be two weeks before he would start training again. In any event he has had no real games since last season and he was poor for the reserves before going off.

I think we will have our answer within 48 hours as JP said tonight he is awaiting several developments with outgoing players, on that depends whether he can make another signing.

The biggest **** up today was the half time sub. White had to come off so fair play to him for that but IMO Wotton on with Lallana moving to the right was the obvious thing to do. Would have steadied the midfield and made the right side a lot better.

Dyer was predictably complete s h i t e when he came on.

The biggest **** up today was the half time sub. White had to come off so fair play to him for that but IMO Wotton on with Lallana moving to the right was the obvious thing to do. Would have steadied the midfield and made the right side a lot better.

Dyer was predictably complete s h i t e when he came on.

Interesting. I was in the Itchen, whereas Dyer was playing next to the Kingsland, but from where I sat it looked as if Dyer was getting stuck in very well and that his speed was having an effect. But I was a long way from where he was playing.

In the first half, I was impressed with Holmes but the attacks down the left seemed to fade as the game went on.

Interesting. I was in the Itchen, whereas Dyer was playing next to the Kingsland, but from where I sat it looked as if Dyer was getting stuck in very well and that his speed was having an effect. But I was a long way from where he was playing.

In the first half, I was impressed with Holmes but the attacks down the left seemed to fade as the game went on.

I sit in the Kingsland and IMHO he was like a headless chicken. He gave the ball away too many times and tried to run through players.

Originally Posted by Saint Martini viewpost.gif

And DMG played very well today, no need to play Pekhart.

Disagree, I believe McGoldrick is lightweight, and a litttle inconsistent. Pekhart needs a chance, I reckon he has goals in him at this level.

DMG has been and was good enough for the start. But knowing what Blackpool would come and do, we left very little room for manoeuvre. We should have started with John and MCG, with Pekhart on the bench to change things around. We never gave ourselves the option of being able to change things around significantly. One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb is having Svennson and Perry press a high line, dead in the water against moderate pace. Jan made several mistakes in this game, but you could see from his response that he recognised these problems and I fully expect him to correct them. He has already admitted that they cannot put in the amount of energy over 3 games in a week and it will have to be Jan who decides who plays in future, not the players themselves. The most concerning aspect was the mobility of Perry and Svennson and this has to be addressed. Certain games we will be able to get away with it, but others will be as we saw against Blackpool.

Who has seen Peckhart play? So all of a sudden he is a match winner and our own player should be dropped.We had the same debates last season when Hammil was the 'star' and would win goames for us.

We let in the first goal and whoever did so was likely to lose in that heat. Had we taken our chances today some fans would be saying that we only beat them because they were relegation certainties.One poster on another thread said that they would make the playofffs!

A young team is always up and down, at the moment more down than up but we all knew that we had a tough start and many would not have said we would have any points at this stage.

I sit in the Kingsland and IMHO he was like a headless chicken. He gave the ball away too many times and tried to run through players.

Agree and at times was fortunate in where the loose ball went gifting him advantage.

IMO it just didn't happen yesterday with a couple of players who are instrumental in how we play having an 'off game' it isn't terminal and does not require wholesale changes.

A young team is always up and down, at the moment more down than up but we all knew that we had a tough start and many would not have said we would have any points at this stage.

Come on, Derby haven't won a league game in over a year and we need to be beating teams like Blackpool at home. Cardiff and Birmingham are tough, but Derby and Blackpool are well beatable.

What concerns me is Blackpool set down the blueprint to beat us and I'm sure other managers will do the same. If we dont start defending long balls properly it wont matter how well we play going forward, we'll go down. Scunny played some good stuff last year and Southend the year before, but..........

Come on, Derby haven't won a league game in over a year and we need to be beating teams like Blackpool at home. Cardiff and Birmingham are tough, but Derby and Blackpool are well beatable.

What concerns me is Blackpool set down the blueprint to beat us and I'm sure other managers will do the same. If we dont start defending long balls properly it wont matter how well we play going forward, we'll go down. Scunny played some good stuff last year and Southend the year before, but..........

The fact is if Stern had put away the header to make it 2-0 v Brum and Lallana put away either of his chances we would be 6 points better off.

I'm in the Kingsland. Trust me, Dyer was crap. he beat the guy once when he basically ran into him and got a lucky bounce back off his own shins. he's quick but he has no brain at all... always cutting inside into traffic and onto his weaker foot, never really making space for a pass to go to him. When he does kick it past the man and tries to out pace him, he gets shoved off the ball because he's too small. If by some chance, he finds himself in a crossing position - his crosses are ****. I honestly don;t see what there is left. Forgetting the handbags thing for a moment - i don't see why there was a big fuss about us losing him and I really can;t see why on earth we offered him a new contract.

I'm in the Kingsland. Trust me, Dyer was crap. he beat the guy once when he basically ran into him and got a lucky bounce back off his own shins. he's quick but he has no brain at all... always cutting inside into traffic and onto his weaker foot, never really making space for a pass to go to him. When he does kick it past the man and tries to out pace him, he gets shoved off the ball because he's too small. If by some chance, he finds himself in a crossing position - his crosses are ****. I honestly don;t see what there is left. Forgetting the handbags thing for a moment - i don't see why there was a big fuss about us losing him and I really can;t see why on earth we offered him a new contract.

So we can sell him hopefully. He really is clueless.