Width of the Pitch...

Guided Missile

...was it just me, or has the pitch at St. Mary's been narrowed by a metre or two?

Was it all a cunning plan to prevent visiting sides from attacking our flanks and allow our midfielders to cover our attacking full backs.

I think we need to be told....

Err why ?

Certainly looked like there was a bigger gap between the pitch and the Kingsland stand. I actually thought this happened at some point last season as well. FA Rules have a minimum and maximum pitch size, as long as we are within that we have the right to change the size of the pitch.

Maybe it is to save money on the amount of new turfs required or to cut down the amount of fuel used by the lawn mowers, or the amount of water sprayed on it at half-time or even the amount of money spent on white lines (which is very expensive) :)

I think watering the pitch at half-time yesterday by the way was a bad move. Just after the break the ball was whizzing off the pitch, whereas in the 1st half it was much slower.

Funnily enough, I commented on this to my son before the kick-off. We were in block 41 so could see along the lines adjacent to the Kingsland and to us the margins off pitch looked wider than normal. We had thought it a mistake, as we presumed that our game plan was to use the maximum width to stretch out rival teams and make more space for attacking both up the wings and throught the middle.

Funnily enough, I commented on this to my son before the kick-off. We were in block 41 so could see along the lines adjacent to the Kingsland and to us the margins off pitch looked wider than normal. We had thought it a mistake, as we presumed that our game plan was to use the maximum width to stretch out rival teams and make more space for attacking both up the wings and throught the middle.

I was in the Itchen, and the extra width of the margin immediately struck me, but you inevitably tend to doubt your own memory, as I hadn't been in the Itchen since before last Xmas. Apart from the tongue in cheek suggestions, if our perception is correct, what would be the footballing objective of doing this? Its true The Dell pitch was virtually minimum width, and did encourage ball control and the passing style of play, but isn't that just as possible on a wide pitch?

I was in the Itchen, and the extra width of the margin immediately struck me, but you inevitably tend to doubt your own memory, as I hadn't been in the Itchen since before last Xmas. Apart from the tongue in cheek suggestions, if our perception is correct, what would be the footballing objective of doing this? Its true The Dell pitch was virtually minimum width, and did encourage ball control and the passing style of play, but isn't that just as possible on a wide pitch?

As I said, my perception was that the wider the pitch, the more width you can use and that by stretching the play out wide, the more gaps there are between the midfield players to exploit with a passing game. If my perception is incorrect, perhaps somebody will kindly explain where my thinking is wrong.

Its true The Dell pitch was virtually minimum width, and did encourage ball control and the passing style of play, but isn't that just as possible on a wide pitch?

The Dell pitch was reasonably wide actually, it was the lack of length that made it a 'small' pitch.

It was the same size as White Hart Lane and slightly larger than Highbury.

Or was it the other way round?

You are quite correct, bigger than Highbury for sure. The pitch itself was not that small, just that we used to stand almost on it and so it seemed small and intimidating.

I think there are several points in making the pitch narrower. It restricts the opposition so that they find it more difficult to get around our defenders (meant Fat Boy had to come inside more). Also makes it slightly easier for us to put in deeper crosses (crosses to the back post). Also means that our 2 defensive midfielders have less width to worry about, and so they can effectively cover the opposition attacking options more effectively.

On the subject of the pitch, as my abusive neutral mate pointed out in the pub, WTF have our ground staff been smoking. The pitch had the weirdest wobbly lawn mower lines we've seen on a tv. Thought it was the beer at first, but no, wiggly lines.

Don't tell me wiggly's come back now Rupe's is here?

Pitch Sizes can vary from 45yards wide to 90yards wide and 90yards long to 120yards long.

You could have a square pitch if you wanted.I personally dont think the pitch had changed dimension at all on Saturday.

The permissible sizes are somewhat different to that. The touch line can be between 100 and 130 yards and the goal line between 50 to 100 yards. You most definitely cannot have a square pitch, the touch line must be longer than the goal line. For international matches the length is from 110 to 120 yards and the width from 70 to 80 yards which I believe would have ruled out the Dell.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html

As I said, my perception was that the wider the pitch, the more width you can use and that by stretching the play out wide, the more gaps there are between the midfield players to exploit with a passing game. If my perception is incorrect, perhaps somebody will kindly explain where my thinking is wrong.

Dead right, except that White then Dyer kept coming inside, giving no useable width. JP emphasised that point, so I think it will be dealt with.