Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

And yet the ultimate irony is that Pompey think the FA and the Football League have screwed them...

The truth is that the powers that be have allowed Pompey to limp on as long as they have because of a guilty conscience.. No more, no less....

Time to put this rabid dog down methinks...

And yet the ultimate irony is that Pompey think the FA and the Football League have screwed them...

The truth is that the powers that be have allowed Pompey to limp on as long as they have because of a guilty conscience.. No more, no less....

Time to put this rabid dog down methinks...

Its amazing to think we were thinks few hours from going out of business with debts that seem like pocket money compared to pompeys 200 million odd. Yet they have survived, if the roles had been reversed the FA would have put us down along time ago. Just why is it the Premier League and now the Football League have bent over backwards to let them survive? What makes them so special?

Just why is it the Premier League and now the Football League have bent over backwards to let them survive? What makes them so special?

I think it's because they have the world's bestestestest fans ever. Copyright.

Just why is it the Premier League and now the Football League have bent over backwards to let them survive? What makes them so special?

I think it's because they have the world's bestestestest fans ever. Copyright.

@pn_neil_allen: Appleton has solution to #Pompey goalkeeping conundrum. http://t.co/wC3729i0

I think that as a caring club we should loan our south coast neighbours a goalkeeper and we could even pay 50% of his wages. I am sure Tommy Fourpast would make an excellent addition to their squad. It's not as if we are going to sell him or realistictly give him one of our 25 squad positions. Winner all round IMHO.

My prediction for the outcome of the Football League AGM:

Birch makes a caveat laden statement along the lines of "As long as the takeover of the club proceeds satisfactorily and an appropriate CVA is agreed, then PFC can complete their fixtures"

The Football League makes a similar statement, granting the club conditional access, with none of the conditions being enforced.

None of this improves the financial position of the club, but I'm fairly sure that the FL don't want to be the one to pull the plug. It's not in their interests.

My prediction for the outcome of the Football League AGM:

Birch makes a caveat laden statement along the lines of "As long as the takeover of the club proceeds satisfactorily and an appropriate CVA is agreed, then PFC can complete their fixtures"

The Football League makes a similar statement, granting the club conditional access, with none of the conditions being enforced.

None of this improves the financial position of the club, but I'm fairly sure that the FL don't want to be the one to pull the plug. It's not in their interests.

Apparently Birch is not going the meeting which is either supreme confidence or he is a very good poker player.

Err, I'd hope that they're sending someone. An empty seat wouldn't look very good. Or it's a sign that all hope is lost...

I would guess that one of the lesser spotted co-administrators is going? Who knows? Maybe they will send a cardboard cut-out of linvoy primus?

Edited by pedg

See most of the blue few on twitter are being too distracted by trying to win the 30k for the fan power stadium thing to worry about anything else.

given that i work at the place that made that i'm so sorely tempted to rig it so they don't win, it'd be actually quite easy to do too....

Apparently Birch is not going the meeting which is either supreme confidence or he is a very good poker player.

Crikey, think I'd give it a miss if all I could stand up and say was that we've not been able to pay the players again but can we have our golden share for next season pretty please?

Have they given Eugen Bopp a call yet?

Oh no, he's under contract at York City, they won't be able to afford that. They can at least call on youth prospects such as Marlon Pack and Matt Ritchie from their academ... Oh. But what about those players from Skate families, born and bred to feed through their Academy like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Ward-Prowse who can now step up and be the fut...... Oh.

You dirty Skate b@stards, you reap what you sow.

Edited by Colinjb

Came across this article on an Australin websire, talking about the increase in players wages compared to revenue and the incoming FPP. Two thing struck me about this article -

1) it would be more interesting to haev written this about the DFCSB's

2) Jouranlists here can't get anything correct. (see highlighted)

The Deloitte report does not cover the most recent season but it does show the effect of Britain's 50 percent tax band coming into play -- the 92 league clubs paid nearly 1.2 billion GBP in tax, up 20 percent

@pn_neil_allen: Another story today to sadden #Pompey fans. TBH, Lampitt & now Kanu. They seem to have forgotten club has no cash & struggling staying alive

Yeah, but look on the bright side, they won you a cup mate....

Edited by trousers

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/why-cash-strapped-pompey-are-leagues-apart-from-their-league-one-rivals-1-3906828

‘Doncaster Rovers, who have also come down from the Championship, will have a payroll less than £2m.

‘The average in the division is probably not as much as that.

‘At the moment this club’s is around £9.5m, which is massive.

‘Obviously it is all distorted by Ben Haim’s wages. While I expect others to leave over the summer, it remains the biggest concern – especially for prospective owners.

‘It is the key to Portpin coming in. They do not want to take it on board in its current state because, potentially, they will lose money next year.

‘I would say that is what is holding up the process at the moment.

‘The Trust are in the same boat and share the same views on the wage bill. There is no doubt about it – it is a big, big problem.

they can't afford the wages, they can't offload players, and they can't sign new ones.

Unlike before they can't afford to buy out contracts and pretend the players were free agents.

If Chanrai agreed a 'deal' tomorrow it would take six weeks.

If they have a next season I think it's already damaged - Appy will be starting pre-season in four weeks with half a team, and we've seen in the past how a disruptive pre-season is difficult to shake off.

They are limping.

Sounds like Birch may have squeezed the players and the wages are now about £600K a month with maybe a further £300k deferred? - and the tax ignored, ditto image rights.

Income for May-July from the league is less than £350K.

Their wagebill is five times that of Doncaster, maybe six times the League One average.

That must be quite a letter that Birch has sent to Portugal, I'm amazed he hasn't attended to fight their corner.

It will have to be the most persuasive bit of A4 since Hitler convinced us that the shed behind him full of Panzers with a forty-foot-high skull logo on the door was actually a sewing machine factory.

...and the wage deferrals still have to be paid.

So Portpin want the high earners off the wage bill before they complete a purchase. But not only do they have to agree severance on the 1 year remaining on most contracts (more in some cases) that they keep talking about, but they also need to reach agreement on all the deferred wages. They talk as though the deferred wages have just gone away!!?

I don't get the bit in the article which suggests deferred wages have been funded by the money from the FL. Can anyone explain that?

they can't afford the wages, they can't offload players, and they can't sign new ones.

Unlike before they can't afford to buy out contracts and pretend the players were free agents.

If Chanrai agreed a 'deal' tomorrow it would take six weeks.

If they have a next season I think it's already damaged - Appy will be starting pre-season in four weeks with half a team, and we've seen in the past how a disruptive pre-season is difficult to shake off.

They are limping.

Sounds like Birch may have squeezed the players and the wages are now about £600K a month with maybe a further £300k deferred? - and the tax ignored, ditto image rights.

Income for May-July from the league is less than £350K.

Their wagebill is five times that of Doncaster, maybe six times the League One average.

That must be quite a letter that Birch has sent to Portugal, I'm amazed he hasn't attended to fight their corner.

It will have to be the most persuasive bit of A4 since Hitler convinced us that the shed behind him full of Panzers with a forty-foot-high skull logo on the door was actually a sewing machine factory.

the biggest chance of Pompey ever going pop is if the receiver is likely to be likely to pick up the bill, at that moment they would pull the plug. Until that stage is reached they will survive and justice has not been served.

I like the sewing machine analogy Rallyboy, although the inspectors of the FPPT would look at the factory and would still pass it,

Benjani - £15k a week! That's roughly £620k he cost them since signing last summer or equivalent to £36.5k per game or equivalent to £620k per goal. Brilliant business by Clotterball. I'm "****ing myself laughing". Oh I do miss Corp.

I like this bit from TB,

‘Nine months ago Erik Huseklepp was worth 2.37m euros. Now they tell me we cannot give him away. How can that be?

I can answer that for you Trevor,

It's because he was never worth it and you paid over the odds for him. Bit of a recurring theme really

So, Birch is now playing the emotional blackmail card...."look at the high wage earners folks....they are gonna bring your club down if they don't fore-go what is legally owed to them"

FFS Birch....you're supposed to be an asute business man....if the sums don't add up ****ing get on with the job your company is supposed to do (whilst racking up a tidy profit in the process) and wind this sorry excuse for a business up.

Jesus....Carlsberg don't do rocket science, but if they did....

p.s. if the Football League deem it appropriate to re-issue the Golden Share to Pompey for next season whilst they are obviously still trading insolvently then the whole thing is a complete and utter farce.

IMHO of course

Edited by trousers

I like this bit from TB,

‘Nine months ago Erik Huseklepp was worth 2.37m euros. Now they tell me we cannot give him away. How can that be?

I can answer that for you Trevor,

It's because he was never worth it and you paid over the odds for him. Bit of a recurring theme really

:-) ...and teh fact you probably pay him double what he could get anywhere else and unlikely to want to take a paycut.... classic

Ok so they're still trading insolvently even with the wage deferrals, but we all know that they'll limp into next season as Rallyboy predicts with pre-season training being 4 weeks running round jackets in the local park & stealing a football from a 9 year old (plus a holiday in Gibraltar paid by god knows who).

Does anyone know how much they have deferred in wages? That has to add up to sizeable chunk by now, and like or lumpitt (see what I did there) that ain't going to go away. I'm assuming that the parachute payments are going to be used to clear them unless Chainrai buys the club and pays the deferrals in the manner that Pompey pay their CVA's i.e. never. It's a sizeable and growing debt which is hanging over their heads... question is when will the players realise that Pompey won't be able to pay it back for some time... or is everyone just waiting for the axe to fall and the PFA to pick up the bill?

4035622040.jpg

By Jordan Cross

Published on Friday 1 June 2012 09:50

We all know following Portsmouth is a unique and far-reaching experience.

Now the time has come to outline the rules for a healthy future of following the team we all love.

I hereby announce the Pompey Supporters’ Manifesto – the one-stop guide to following the star and crescent.

Feel free to tweet your additions to the fans’ manifesto at pn_jordan_cross...

1) Don’t expect a thing. Be prepared for anything.

2) Make some noise – and plenty of it. Sing, clap, shout and chant. Pompey supporters support their team.

3) Love Fratton Park and the way it is. Like our parents, it won’t be around forever. On second thoughts...

4) Appreciate the sentiment behind trying to raise money for Pompey through #fanpowerstadium on Twitter. But secretly be sick to death of it filling up your feeds.

5) Love the Pompey sailor, support any efforts to bring back the Pompey sailor wholeheartedly.

6) Don’t boo your own players. Ever. No matter how bad they are.

7) Love Alan Ball.

8 ) Back the Pompey Supporters’ Trust and their community share scheme. It may work, it may not – but they are operating in their club’s best interests and fighting for its well-being. That’s no bad thing.

9) Rue Matt Ritchie leaving the club.

10) Get angry at talkSPORT’s Adrian Durham and his misinformed rants at Pompey.

11) Get angry at talkSPORT’s Stan Collymore and his misinformed rants at Pompey.

12) Understand Balram Chainrai is not a saviour. He’s just a businessman trying to make money.

13) Bemoan Matt Le Tissier as a TV pundit. It’s not because he played for Southampton. He’s just rubbish.

14) Know that Ian Ormondroyd was offside in the play-offs against Leicester City in 1993. He is about 8ft 7in and he was offside. Thanks, Roger Milford!

15) Fight your corner when it comes to people attacking your club. You’re not at fault for its troubles. You are its best asset.

16) Support Michael Appleton – your club’s second best asset.

17) Insist you were there when Pompey beat Stockport in 1998 at the ‘wall of noise’ game. For the record, the attendance was 8,662.

18 ) Worship Barry Harris.

19) Question the Premier League and the Football League’s role in Pompey’s downfall.

20) Under no circumstances, bicker and fight with other fans about the best way forward for the club. Talk about it, yes. Debate it, certainly. But don’t bicker and fight.

21) Start every sentence with: ‘I for 4-1’ in the company of any Southampton supporter.

22) Appreciate old Pompey kits. Especially the Asics one in the early 90s – and the Umbro kit when Alan Ball’s side won promotion in 1987.

23) It’s 1992 at Highbury. Darren Anderton scores after 108 minutes. Ronnie Whelan scores after 116 minutes. Realise you’ve just witnessed the lot of a Pompey fan in eight minutes.

24) Wish you’d seen Jimmy Dickinson play. If you are lucky enough to have watched him, wish you’d seen Jimmy Guthrie lift the Cup in 1939. If you are of a certain vintage, wish you’d seen Arthur Conan Doyle play in goal for Portsmouth AFC.

25) Be proud of a history few clubs can match.

ROFLSmiley.gif

Edited by trousers

...and the wage deferrals still have to be paid.

So Portpin want the high earners off the wage bill before they complete a purchase. But not only do they have to agree severance on the 1 year remaining on most contracts (more in some cases) that they keep talking about, but they also need to reach agreement on all the deferred wages. They talk as though the deferred wages have just gone away!!?

I don't get the bit in the article which suggests deferred wages have been funded by the money from the FL. Can anyone explain that?

I think it actually means that the current paid bill (excluding deferrals) is £50,000/week to those five players at £10,000 each. That is about £200,000/month and that is what they get each month from the FL as a Championship club. And that drops to £65,000 at the end of June. Just poorly written.

I think it actually means that the current paid bill (excluding deferrals) is £50,000/week to those five players at £10,000 each. That is about £200,000/month and that is what they get each month from the FL as a Championship club. And that drops to £65,000 at the end of June. Just poorly written.

Ah - just poorly written by a **** journolist

Person in "wanting to be paid what he's contractually owed" shocker.

I know it's a bit of a new concept to people down there, but when you promise to pay someone a certain sum of money, you're actually obliged to pay them that sum of money.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})