Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

TB must be getting to the point where he is in danger of running the "business which is in administration" whilst it is insolvent.As i understand it that makes him in breach of his legal duty to the Court, hence why he is becoming more desperate in his pieces in the press.

Something has to give very soon, either accept any offer from Chainrai or liquidate, or his company risks being liable for all debts which have occurred since administration started

TB must be getting to the point where he is in danger of running the "business which is in administration" whilst it is insolvent.As i understand it that makes him in breach of his legal duty to the Court, hence why he is becoming more desperate in his pieces in the press.

Something has to give very soon, either accept any offer from Chainrai or liquidate, or his company risks being liable for all debts which have occurred since administration started

I'm not sure how he is getting away with not paying CVA 1 and deferring players wages. Current turnover may have been reduced but he is just putting his head in the sand.

- who can pick out the bones in this statement - Love the optimism they used to have - no mention of naming and shaming players here ....

17 February 2012: Trevor Birch, Bryan Jackson and Ian Gould of accountancy firm PKF (UK) LLP have today been appointed administrator of Portsmouth Football Club (2010) Ltd.

Commenting on the appointment, Trevor said:

“Portsmouth Football Club is a vital part of the local community and its fans, players and staff have been unswerving in their support despite the club’s recent difficulties. We will do all we can to secure the club’s long term future and ensure that this loyalty is rewarded.

“We will work with everyone involved with Portsmouth Football Club – directors, staff, players and creditors – to attempt to resolve the financial issues facing the club.

“Our aim is to achieve an outcome that helps ensure the club’s long term survival, preferably by finding a suitable buyer.

“We will now begin discussions with the club’s stakeholders with a view to getting Portsmouth out of administration as soon as is practically possible. Until then, our intention is to stabilise the situation and keep the club running on a day-to-day basis.

“Everyone involved with the club has endured a turbulent past few years and our aim is to bring some much-needed stability to the situation. Quick fixes and wealthy benefactors are not necessarily the solution here – the club needs a pragmatic new owner with a sound business plan that can reinvigorate the club and bring confidence back to Fratton Park.

“We have considerable experience in the football industry and are ready to take on the challenges that lie ahead. I have personally served as Chief Executive of several major clubs, including Chelsea, Derby County, Everton, Leeds United and Sheffield United. PKF has worked for a number of teams over the past few years and we have a successful track record as football club administrators, having previously been appointed at Clyde, Clydebank, Dundee, Motherwell and Oldham Athletic.”

See pompey begin congratulated on twitter for lowering their season tickets by up to 70%. No mention that the reduced income from season tickets this would produce makes their current position even less viable.

See pompey begin congratulated on twitter for lowering their season tickets by up to 70%. No mention that the reduced income from season tickets this would produce makes their current position even less viable.

They must know they'll have a **** team next season and no one will want to watch them.

Not bad prices for them, but the headline grabing 70% discount is a bit misleading.

£299 for returning adult season ticket holders, but £399 for new sales.

£75 for kids.

Good for them on that score, but £400 for a new season ticket in that ground, and at that level, makes our £600 look good value.

Oh dear, Birch seems to have gone all nervous and panicky.

Two days of spin leading into the AGM, but too dangerous to attend in person and face those awkward questions.

I have said all along they will not be liquidated...... Seriously might need to reconsider that call

So I assume by now the league meeting is over and they are all off having nice expensive meals on expenses (well except Birch who is at home with his pot noodle) and no news of anything besides increasing the number of subs?

Is there actually any confirmation, anywhere, that part of this meeting did involve a commitment from clubs that they can forfill their fixtures?

One might be tempted to think that the whole thing had been built up as a critical point in an attempt to get people to act? How many people have lost money getting loans in a bid to rush through their contribution to their trust in time for this meeting?

Not bad prices for them, but the headline grabing 70% discount is a bit misleading.

£299 for returning adult season ticket holders, but £399 for new sales.

£75 for kids.

Good for them on that score, but £400 for a new season ticket in that ground, and at that level, makes our £600 look good value.

I don't think they are expecting to attract new fans to league one football tbh, they are just desperate to keep hold of as many existing ST holders as possible.

Is this much of a surprise? In any case it is funny to see...

Footballing "giants" Crawley Town are currently at a shorter price to win League One than Portsmouth with bookmakers BetVictor and Stan James.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-one/english-league-1/winner

I thought they were such a big club hey we're going to walk League One - or so a Pompey fan told me!

Obviously it is all distorted by Ben Haim’s wages. While I expect others to leave over the summer, it remains the biggest concern – especially for prospective owners.

It is the key to Portpin coming in. They do not want to take it on board in its current state because, potentially, they will lose money next year.

‘I would say that is what is holding up the process at the moment.

This quote is the key to their whole plight. It also confirms the conditionality of Chinny's bid.

It's a game of chicken. If the club is to continue to participate in the league, it must make good on its commitment to wages and football debts. However, in liquidation, there is no Football Creditors Rule and the players must queue up with all the other creditors to get their deferred wages and the balance of their contracts paid.

I'm not sure whether the PFA or FA or FL would step in and make good on the deferred wages in the event of liquidation, using parachute payments or transfer fee installments owed.

Who blinks first?

Tucking into my second bottle of sauvignon blanc so now philosophically befuddled.

As far as I am aware PFC cannot sign new players until they are out of admin or signed a CVA (which one is it?). Both meaning a new owner.

I think that includes free agents as well. Is that right?

If that is the case, and Portpin won't buy until TBH and the others are somehow dumped (no money to pay them off), then it looks to me as though they will only ever have the 11 players currently on the books plus existing youth players.

So if they survive long enough to start the season, they probably won't even have a viable team to turn out. Does that seem right?

I don't think they are expecting to attract new fans to league one football tbh, they are just desperate to keep hold of as many existing ST holders as possible.

And also fill spaces with kids at no real extra overhead costs. Possibly a little too late to consider building a new fan base however.

This quote is the key to their whole plight. It also confirms the conditionality of Chinny's bid.

It's a game of chicken. If the club is to continue to participate in the league, it must make good on its commitment to wages and football debts. However, in liquidation, there is no Football Creditors Rule and the players must queue up with all the other creditors to get their deferred wages and the balance of their contracts paid.

I'm not sure whether the PFA or FA or FL would step in and make good on the deferred wages in the event of liquidation, using parachute payments or transfer fee installments owed.

Who blinks first?

It is my understanding that in liquidation the outstanding sums due to players under the FCR are settled from a central fund. PFA I believe. Probably underwritten by insurance. But they weren't expecting a $2M hit from one player for sure. So Zahavi and Ben Haim can just wait until they go pop. Any moment soon......I'm sure of it. PKF are starting to become liable......

Who blinks first?

If the FL takes no action publicly following their meeting, I think the assumption must be that they feel there is no need to do so, partly in order to not get involved, in the expectation that the financial end game is approaching in any case and TB will fold his cards in deference to High Court creditor obligations unless Chinny takes the plunge. Perhaps the FL has offered TB 30 days of June to get it sorted.

From Chinny's perspective, with debts rising by the day, I'd imagine that he must be considering letting the club go into liquidation, holding on to Fratton Park from afar for a couple of years so it becomes obvious that there is no footballing future there to the council, and then selling for redevelopment at commercial land prices (maybe even with planning permission in place for something else).

Edited by TopGun

From Chinny's perspective, with debts rising by the day, I'd imagine that he must be considering letting the club go into liquidation, holding on to Fratton Park from afar for a couple of years so it becomes obvious that there is no footballing future there to the council, and then selling for redevelopment at commercial land prices (maybe even with planning permission in place for something else).

But hasn't Birch already publicly stated that in the event of liquidation, Chinny does not get FP and the land to do with what he wants, but just whatever proceeds he (Birch) can muster from liquidation?

But hasn't Birch already publicly stated that in the event of liquidation, Chinny does not get FP and the land to do with what he wants, but just whatever proceeds he (Birch) can muster from liquidation?

I think technically he doesn't get FP but in reality he just has to bid £1 more than anyone else for it and as the secured creditor he would get the procedes from the sale anyway.

I think technically he doesn't get FP but in reality he just has to bid £1 more than anyone else for it and as the secured creditor he would get the procedes from the sale anyway.

In which case, this has SURELY got to be Chinny's best option if he can be sure if getting it. The PP's are going to fast disappear if TBH, Benjani, Kanu etc stick to their full contract. This gives me hope for a happy ending!

Reading what TB said about those guys not wanting to take a pay cut is mental. When you read the comments of the few you can see it had the desired effect and they now have it in for Kanu and TBH. If they defer their wages it will save the club!

But yet he doesn't say anything about people like Chiney. If he wrote off his debt wouldn't that help the club to survive? Wouldn't it make it look a better prospect to buy? Why are their fans not saying to him if you care like you say you do then write off your debt. Because that's what they are asking the players to do.

Which in my view shows why anyone anywhere who claims them the "bestest" simply needs to read those comments and they will see they would rather blame guys who have deferred wages for the clubs finances then the people who offered them those deals. If I was a player I'd never want to join them because when they did well your loved but the minute it goes bad they expect you to rip up your contract and walk. And if you don't then your to blame!

If this was any normal company they would of been dead long ago. TB admits in his comments the problem is the staff won't accept pay cuts and the club can't afford to pay them. In that case you have no option but to pull the plug. Thats your job. You are not supposed to be a puppet of Chinneys to do what he wants. Your supposed to represent all those owed money and appointed by the court to get the club on its feet financially. That obviously can't be done with Chinney as he wants the wages down. If you can't get him to take it on then you have no real offer from him. Wind the club up.

It is my understanding that in liquidation the outstanding sums due to players under the FCR are settled from a central fund. PFA I believe. Probably underwritten by insurance. But they weren't expecting a $2M hit from one player for sure. So Zahavi and Ben Haim can just wait until they go pop. Any moment soon......I'm sure of it. PKF are starting to become liable......

All Football creditors or just the players? What about the other deserving causes like Lumpitt? He's (somehow) a Football Creditor, but not a player does he get his filthy lucre?

There are so few clubs that have actually gone into liquidation, there isn't much precedence for this situation and I don't think that there are any rules that spell out the consequences.

Time for TB to call everyone elses bluff and announce he has no other choice but to liquidate them on Friday 8th.

Then see what happens. :lol:

The old "hours from liquidation" routine. We haven't had that one yet this time round.

Gotta love FMDP.

Been having problems finding wifi access here in Italy.

So she drags me all across Rome yesterday and ends with...

Here you are this will make you feel better..

I'm looking at a pile of stones.

She says - It's The Forum, you can find out if Pompey are Dead yet.

:facepalm:

The way I see it is that, one way or another, we are approaching the end-game. Birch is sat in the middle of a poker table, trying desperately to save his reputation along with the Skates, staring blankly ahead as he tries to call everyone's bluff. And there are a lot of players around the table to persuade.

Chinny has to accept TBH & Kanu's wages if he is ever going to get his hands on Nottarf Krap.

The FL has to give the Skates the golden share, even though they are clearly broke, or be held responsible for kicking the 'bestest, pluckiest little sleeping giant in the country' into oblivion.

TBH and Kanu and the like have to volunteer to walk away from millions, even though they have children and (in some cases) grandchildren to support.

The PFA might have to encourage them, too, or have to find £10million or more in guaranteed wages for the Skate players.

Those pesky creditors have to willingly accept less than F-all.

And all the while that Birch has to stare unblinkingly at his opponents, he knows that the potential costs to PKF are racking up with less and less likelihood of recouping them.

The question is, which one blinks first.

Had a thought in the shower this morning (no, not one of those).

There are similarities between Poopey and the EU.

For Germany, think Football League. For Greece, well you put it together.

Germany keeps on kicking the can down the road, whilst all parties in the EU know what the end result, and consequences will be.

Lovely isn't it? :)

Gotta love FMDP.

Been having problems finding wifi access here in Italy.

So she drags me all across Rome yesterday and ends with...

Here you are this will make you feel better..

I'm looking at a pile of stones.

She says - It's The Forum, you can find out if Pompey are Dead yet.

:facepalm:

Pompeii has been dead for quite a while. HTH

Comments back up on the News site. For those thinking its was a conspiracy it appears comments were down on all the sites owned by the same group and probably has more to do with the new cookie law than anything pompey related.

One interesting comment is that their 'Chimes Club' price has gone down from £2,600 a season by a massive £100 to £2,500.

@pn_neil_allen: The public outcry by #Pompey fans over David Lampitt appointment at @SuppDirect has promoted a response. http://t.co/tGo0AN38

SD'S NEW CHIEF EXECUTIVE SPEAKS

Friday, June 01, 2012

Since my appointment at SD, there has been some comment in the media and social media about certain issues relating to my time at Portsmouth FC. Whilst I, along with everyone at SD, would like to move forward positively and focus on issues that are important for our cause, it is also important that these issues are dealt with so that they can be better understood and so that SD does not suffer any damage as a result. I have therefore provided some clarification below which I hope will assist our members and other interested parties.

Football Creditor claim

Along with all fellow staff members that were made redundant without notice by the Administrators, I have a claim under football rules for out-of-pocket expenses and arrears of salary that was owed to me when I left the club. This does not cover any other claims (eg. for notice period) which fall properly to be dealt with alongside ordinary creditors.

It has been suggested that this claim conflicts with comments made previously by SD about the Football Creditor Rule whereby certain parties get paid in full; I'm not sure this is fair or reasonable. Firstly, employees do not get paid in full as they are not afforded the same protection by this rule that applies to other parties (eg. clubs and players) for whom it ensures full payment under contract and (in the case of players) protection from redundancy. This is obviously why it was possible for an Administrator to make non-playing employees redundant without notice or compensation and why, as employees, we rank alongside ordinary creditors for any claims for notice or unfair dismissal. Secondly, and importantly, I'm not sure SD's position can be called into question when these circumstances arose well in advance of my appointment, when SD was not aware of them, and when I did not know of my possible future role.

It is also worth noting that the scale of my claim and those of other members of staff is immaterial to the trading position of the club, being a tiny fraction (less than 0.1%) of creditor claims. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply misleading. Equally importantly, as I understand it, this claim will only be paid from future football revenues if the club exits from administration. Having fought for two years to save the club from the wreckage of the previous regime, the last thing I would want to do is jeopardise the club's future. However, along with other loyal staff members who dedicated so much to the club before being made redundant, I have claimed for these relatively modest amounts which were not paid whilst I was employed at the Club.

I have weighed very carefully the question as to whether I should now forgo this claim as a result of my appointment at SD. That is a very significant sacrifice to contemplate when I have a family including three wonderful children to look after. I am not a wealthy individual and three months ago I lost my livelihood overnight, and whatever any individual or organisational view is of the current rule, it is nonetheless still in place. Ultimately I do not feel that foregoing this claim is something that I can do. However, if I do end up receiving these arrears, I will be contributing to the charities affected by the club’s demise.

Charity payments

I have commented publicly on this situation previously and do not propose to re-hash those comments here. However there are a few things to consider that may provide some further context: there are good causes that received donations earlier in the season that would not have benefited if we had not made the gesture of donating these funds; the funds were freely offered from the ticket revenues of the club; it was not a charitable marketing campaign and there was no point of sale information; the ticket prices were set by the previous ownership long before the charitable gesture was made, and the club's new owners simply wanted to give something back from the revenues received.

In the few weeks prior to the collapse of the ownership last November, there were two games for which donations did not get paid over. The monthly reconciliation process was in hand at the point of CSI's collapse which unfortunately happened before payments were made. Perhaps rightly, I have been criticised, along with others, for failing to get these payments out more quickly which I certainly regret. But I do not believe that should cast any doubt over my integrity, the integrity of my staff, or indeed the integrity of SD in appointing me. It should also be remembered that subsequently, our obligations as directors prevented us from treating any single creditor or class of creditors in a preferential way.

Administration and benefaction

Let's be crystal clear on this point - Portsmouth FC went into administration for one reason only and that was the extraordinary overnight collapse of the business interests of its principal shareholder and funder. When the club came out of administration in 2010 it was always going to require funding for at least three years whilst it recovered from the legacy issues and contractual obligations of the previous regime. Inspite of this, we managed to get the club into a financially relatively stable state with losses of less than £1m on our P&L in the season to 2011. This compares very favourably with other clubs in the same division. However, it also masks the fact that there was still a cash funding requirement to keep the club going.

Under new ownership last summer the business plan was revised but in a measured way that ensured the club traded at all times within the parameters of the financial fair play proposals that were being contemplated by the Championship at the time and that, I'm glad to say, have since been voted through. Across this period the wage bill of the club was reduced from in excess of £30m to around £17m last season and again to £12.5m this season. This downward trajectory was set to continue towards a fully sustainable level once the legacy player contracts (which amounted to nearly £8m, or two thirds, of this season's wage bill) and other legacy issues had run their course. I see this process which was never going to be achieved overnight, as well as my involvement at the club generally, as being fully compatible with the my own values and the values of SD and this was something that I expressed in my interviews for the job.

As I said on this website last week, my determination has long been to improve the operational side of football, and I firmly believe we were on a path to achieving this at Portsmouth. However, that process was shattered by the events affecting our owners and has led to the incredibly difficult position the club currently finds itself in. It is heartening that there is a young but very strong supporters’ trust down there led by excellent people who are working tirelessly to secure a better future for the club and I along with everyone at SD, will continue to do all we can to support that process as it would be such a significant step for the trust movement.

These experiences, whilst difficult, will undoubtedly assist me in continuing the great work that SD does in promoting sustainability in sport and assisting supporters in their involvement with clubs and club ownership. I very much hope that can now be the focus as I, and the rest of the team, look forward to welcoming as many of you as possible to our Conference on 7 July.

David Lampitt

So Lampitt speaks at last, he claims a downward spiral of wages, getting the club to a financially sustainable situation! How then does he explain 55- million debt then? How does that explain his & Cloterill's quality over quantity. As head of integrity & now at SD sustainability in sport LOL. Please explain how spending all 10.5- million from CSI on overpriced overpaid players helped this sustainability? Oh almost forgot he did spend some of it on the bog but didn't quite manage to clear the fat in the pipes, but £100 only goes so far with a plumber right.

He also didn't see the collapse coming with the wonderful benifactors that they had, untill they had their collars felt by the law!

Whilst several of our investigative geniuses or nut jobs on here kept banging on about them & CSI.

Anyway Dave you have a special place in this thread, you've given us many a laugh on here & will no doubt have a whole chapter in the book dedicated to your good self!

Your Integrity & selflessness is legendary keep up the good work!

Along with all fellow staff members that were made redundant without notice by the Administrators, I have a claim under football rules for out-of-pocket expenses and arrears of salary that was owed to me when I left the club. This does not cover any other claims (eg. for notice period) which fall properly to be dealt with alongside ordinary creditors.

So, basically, he's making a claim for arrears of salary and out of pocket expenses that he didn't pay himself whilst he was in charge of PFC, because he was so incompetent at running the club!

Now, as a result of this claim, he's bumped himself up the list of creditors under the Football creditor claim. If this was any other club than Pompey, I'd find it incredulous! As it is Pompey, I guess it's completely reasonable for the person who brought the club to it's knees to want his payment for doing so in full and in front of everyone else in the queue :rolleyes:

CEO's just don't come out with these statements..... someone has put pressure on him to release that.....may be the interview panel that has gone back and done the checking they should have done before they hired him. Anyone trying to take money out of fratton park, usually has my blessing but this guy is taking the pish.

One of his first acts as CEO (When the club was still officially in receivership) was to smash the wage cap, that had been agreed as the part of the CVA by signing lawrence and kitson on 20k a week wages. Of course he didn’t stop there, plenty of other high earners were added. He might argue that was when the Russians were on board, but he seemed to champion their cause and was left bewildered when the inevitable happened (As predicted 5 months earlier on here) and this is where he got things really wrong. The arrest happened in November and he publically stated that they had funds to the end of the year. He had a whole two months to line up players for sale, do early deals etc etc. before the transfer window opened and then a further month to close them off. He did nothing, because in my opinion, he feared that ripping the squad apart would result in certain relegation and apparently refused to answer his phone on the last day of the transfer window, which even had Andronikou (Who thought he was going to be the administrator) demanding answers.

At the risk of creditors, charities and the clubs existence itself, it seems to me, he thought that by putting the club into admin and using Andronikou, that the squad could overcome a 10 point deduction (The squad as it was then probably could have) and prevent relegation.

This was just another pompey roll of the dice – another gamble. I wish I could go to a casino that you get to claim back all the other peoples you’ve lost, as your own.

As if HMRC's court room failures against Cheats FC hasn't made me sick enough lately, I get a bloody letter through today saying I haven't paid enough tax and owe them £60.

God bless HMRC?

**** you HMRC.

@pn_neil_allen: The public outcry by #Pompey fans over David Lampitt appointment at @SuppDirect has promoted a response. http://t.co/tGo0AN38

You can see how he got the job with waffle like that. We've employed people like that at my company in the past, all talk and no substance.

We found out their owners were crooks after 5mins of googling, yet he chose a "quality over quantity" plan that required their continued funding instead of living within their means.

This is the f*ckwit that signed Benjani on 15K a week, their current plight is down to him more than anyone. No doubt whoever employed him at SD just saw FA on his CV and fell for his b*llsh!t.

As if HMRC's court room failures against Cheats FC hasn't made me sick enough lately, I get a bloody letter through today saying I haven't paid enough tax and owe them £60.

God bless HMRC?

**** you HMRC.

Offer to pay 4% of 20% of the £60, referencing Pompey as a precident in your covering letter. Seriously....

Everything Lampitt says is entirely plausible until you remember that it took a matter of minutes on here for people to find information in the public domain to suggest that Antonov was as dodgy as feck. Perhaps he really was naive enough to dismiss it as mere rumours, or perhaps he thought 'What the hell? It's £600k/pa and I get to play with other people's money.' But anyone taking on Benjani on £15/week makes Storrie look like a football genius.

Personally, I think he is just a bullsh!tter who was totally out of his depth at Pompey, and probably took the job in the first place because he'd been rumbled at the FA. I've known a few like him, and they wing it for so long until their history becomes impossible to ignore. In five years time he'll be CEO of Gosport Borough or Fareham Town on £30k a year.

Should Skates go pop, its going to cost a fair bit starting again, assembling a squad, finding somwhere to play, all the infrastructure etc. Whats stopping the PST using their money from buying a lower-level local club and rebranding it. I ask because I was on Wikipedia and found that Airdrieonians and Clydebank did exactly that, not too long ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airdrieonians_F.C.#Liquidation_and_re-incarnation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clydebank_F.C.#Decline_and_fall

League share, training facilities, ground, staff etc, all ready to go and be called PFC Mk2.

Latest, must file a story, any story, at the news is that due to the wages problems all remaining first team players are legally allowed to leave on a free after giving 14 days notice.

and none have.

Next birch will probably be forced to burst into song...

Go on now go

Walk out the door

Just turn around now

'Cause you're not welcome anymore

Edited by pedg

that means the firesale is over and the amount raised by transfers from now on will be zero - thus reducing the assets of the company.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference if no one can get their wages matched by another club.

I'm not even sure if they have any assets now....the ground is secured, the players can walk away without a fee - the business owns nothing and is slightly more insolvent today than it was yesterday.

Yet the league seem happy for them to continue.....

How can they start another season??

Well, I'm over in the UK on Tuesday, I mut give some Pompey supporting friends a call. At Christmas they were complaining about how they'd been shafted by their owners and it was all so unfair... Yes... I said... not sure what to say this time...

@Pompey_Royal: @timpayton @mattslaterbbc question for @SuppDirect is who on earth at Pompey gave a reference for his work there?

@mattslaterbbc: @Pompey_Royal @timpayton @suppdirect don't know the answer to that but DL is still well thought of at FA for earlier compliance work

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})