Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

. . .which Pompey have recently insisted is the case, (so they don't have to pay the transfer fee)

the two league cups games make the difference. Lens say they count, the skates say the don't.

so they will have to either pay the £3m fee or pay a fine for having too many loanees in the squad. I presume Dindane's registration must be ratified by the Premier League/FA before he can play games, so this should be a formality?

the two league cups games make the difference. Lens say they count, the skates say the don't.

so they will have to either pay the £3m fee or pay a fine for having too many loanees in the squad. I presume Dindane's registration must be ratified by the Premier League/FA before he can play games, so this should be a formality?

2 problems. 1 they are potless, and 2 they are barred from paying for any transfers.

So even with pompey's version he can only play once more till it becomes active?

Just to clarify, Poopey go to court and HMRC are'nt happy with what is presented which is looking odds on - will Pompey cease to exsist there and then?

are you sure that's it? HMRC have already said that they aren't happy and have closed them down but the judge left room to appeal, which is what's happening on Wednesday. If the judge says that the original ruling stands then that's it. However, a deal can be done out of court with HMRC in the next couple of days. Can new "evidence" (so to speak) be introduced in court on Wednesday?

No, I think it's a case that they struck a deal with Lens in the summer to loan the player with a built in clause that once he's made x appearances, he is automatically a Pompey player, and a transfer fee kicks in. This was an existing agreement so wouldn't be covered by the embargo that came in in October.The number of games was supposedly 14, but Pompey claim to have agreed 22 (which Lens dispute). Either way, surely it's just a case of pulling out the contract and taking a look. How ****in hard can it be? Having said that, I'm assuming Pompey can find someone who can read....

Not only that, but, M'Lud, I bring you the evidence of Pompey v Newcastle in the transfer of Michael Williamson.

Storrie - 'Ere Doris, you got the paperwork for Williamson..I'm sellin 'im to Newquay'

Doris - 'Newcastle Peter....what's the selling price?'

Storrie - 'You know me Doris, I did a fantastic deal - the fans will love me more for this. Managed to offload him for £950k - blindin' deal'.

Doris - 'But Peter, we paid Watford £3M for him only 6 months ago'

Storrie - 'No we didn't - that was Kaboul wasn't it? Doris????'

Doris - 'Peter, did anyone check this? We've got to pay Watford £1.2M if we sell him'

Storrie - 'Nah....oh shi...'

If Pompey go into Admin then they have to submit in writing a request to still stay in the FA Cup according to FA Rules. Then and it is discretionery by the FA can they play.

Given the chaos at Fratton Park I just wander they might forget !!! Now that would be ironic

are you sure that's it? HMRC have already said that they aren't happy and have closed them down but the judge left room to appeal, which is what's happening on Wednesday. If the judge says that the original ruling stands then that's it. However, a deal can be done out of court with HMRC in the next couple of days. Can new "evidence" (so to speak) be introduced in court on Wednesday?

Thing is the Judge gave them the option to appeal but they can only appeal about a point of tax law that would have fairly major ramifications if successful. Because of its importance it's not something that is going to be resolved in a short period of time. There is no concrete evidence that they have taken up that option of an appeal (i.e. we ignore anything Jacob's and Story say and look for firm evidence instead!). At the moment it appears that they are staking the house on an 'appeal' to the judge to postpone the WUO. That's a lot different for a formal appeal of a point of law.

Edited by pedg
n

2 problems. 1 they are potless, and 2 they are barred from paying for any transfers.

Potless yes, barred from buying anyone yes....but since the deal was struck in August, and it's contracual prior to the embargo, then it's allowed. Imagine how ****ed off Lens would be if they wriggled out of it that way!

Please remember that HMRC have to agree to accept any deal and that payment be made before Wednesday. I do not think HMRC are in any mood for a deal and what to use this case as both a warning and cope de gras to Football in general.

If Pompey go into Admin then they have to submit in writing a request to still stay in the FA Cup according to FA Rules. Then and it is discretionery by the FA can they play.

Given the chaos at Fratton Park I just wander they might forget !!! Now that would be ironic

Palace are in admin and they're allowed to continue. That won't be a problem. Liquidation, however, and the gates are shut Wednesday night, and they're out...of everything....forever.

I don't remember Crystal Palace having to do that.

Pretty sure you are allowed 6 in the match day squad.

EDIT: I cant find anything in the FA rules but numerous websites list it as 5.

Anyone have the relevant emails of the echo/national journo's who could clarify this? All in the interests of research purposes of course...

So even with pompey's version he can only play once more till it becomes active?

I am wrong. The original agreement was 11 games and then the deal became permanent. When he played 11 games Pompey could not buy anyone so the two clubs renogotiated the deal. I would GUESS that the deal included a clause that said if the transfer embargo was lifted then Pompey would have to buy him outright. It has been lifted, but not to the extent where they can actually buy him - so there lies the difference in opinion.

Please remember that HMRC have to agree to accept any deal and that payment be made before Wednesday. I do not think HMRC are in any mood for a deal and what to use this case as both a warning and cope de gras to Football in general.

Not least of which, with UK PLC £200B in debt, HMRC are clawing "everything" they can and with the levels of foreign ownership in the UK in Football, no doubt leading to all kinds of creative accounting, they need to send a signal...

I am wrong. The original agreement was 11 games and then the deal became permanent. When he played 11 games Pompey could not buy anyone so the two clubs renogotiated the deal. I would GUESS that the deal included a clause that said if the transfer embargo was lifted then Pompey would have to buy him outright. It has been lifted, but not to the extent where they can actually buy him - so there lies the difference in opinion.

I guess the thing is the initial agreement was made before the ban so would probably have been okay (if they had the money) but the renegotiated one was made during the ban so its probably up to our old friends the lawyers to try and figure that one out (though it may be a moot point anyway?).

Anyone have the relevant emails of the echo/national journo's who could clarify this? All in the interests of research purposes of course...

I have emailed the full details to The Premier League...all in the interest of clarification purposes of course.

So what is the most realistic out-come Wednesday????

IMO chances of having the WUO postpones are minimal. Likely scenarios are:

1) Into receivership before the WUO. Safest option but guarantees relegation.

2) A deal done with HMRC who withdraw WUO. Would almost certainly need indication of new money coming in.

3) Go to court and given more time to pay

4) PFC Wound up and Liquidated.

Of those I would plump for 1 but which is the most realistic I don't know.

1) They go into Admin today or tomorrow, but time is ticking on and it doesn't seem like that is the path they want to go down.

2) They roll the dice and gamble. They have requested a stay of execution, stating that they will pay but need more time. I'm guessing that this is what will happen and they will be granted 28 days as per Notts County, to come up with the money.

My money would be on the 2nd scenario, but if Chairai, does get to keep the land as a creditor, then he will at least come out of it with something. The 28 days will buy him time to see if he can flog the club for anymore or not

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=738464&sec=england&cc=5739

Soccernet
can reveal that lawyers representing Portsmouth were locked in crisis talks with the lawyers of HM Revenue & Customs on Monday in a last-ditch bit to ward off Wednesday's winding-up order.

--

Looks like a rehash of earlier story with that bit tagged on top.

Edited by pedg

There will not be any "signals"

There will not be any room for sentiment or emotive pleas

The law says this, the question will be asked and the law will decide if the answer is legally acceptable and the evidence is factual and makes any of the situation expedient or extenuating under the law.

If it is not legally acceptable then the judge will read the law book that states the exact terminology of how and what the content must be when he makes his judgement.

there ain't no emotion in law, just grey greyer and confusing.

(Business Studies, Year One How the Law works)

ANYTHING - else emotional appeals, dodgy deals etc will have to be done BEFORE they enter court

Soccernet
can reveal that lawyers representing Portsmouth were locked in crisis talks with the lawyers of HM Revenue & Customs on Monday in a last-ditch bit to ward off Wednesday's winding-up order.

--

Well, that could tell us why Jacobs is still on board, him being a lawyer and all.

Soccernet

--

Of course they are. The only reason Chainrai excercised his lien.

If it fails they will be in admin tomorrow.

Just a thought. Could HMRC call Pompey's bluff on there being a couple of interested parties and put them into Administration rather than a winding up order. Is that what Storrie wants? "Not my fault....HMRC did it?

I don't think so, but not 100% sure.

I would hazard a guess though, that admin is the very last thing story wants. Not only would he be out on his ear, but the accounts will be laid bare to everybody and if as many suspect that they have been trading insolvently, he could not only face charges, but be persobally liable for some or all of the debt.

I am waiting for my source (the guy who spilled the beans to me in the first place) to give me permission to spill a bit more on what's going on behind the scenes. As he has not got back yet all I can say it's not looking good for them and steps might have already been put in place for administration. I will post as soon as I can, but a lot of what is going on is obviously pretty sensitive.

have you got permission yet i`ve got work to do but am sat here waiting for you info!!!

2) A deal done with HMRC who withdraw WUO. Would almost certainly need indication of new money coming in.

It would seem from their insistence that there are likely investors they're going for option 3. Notts County got 28 days grace on the back of the "new investors" angle did they not.

A little problem here, there are now two partys who are on the petition, so they would have to buy them both off.:confused:

It would seem from their insistence that there are likely investors they're going for option 3. Notts County got 28 days grace on the back of the "new investors" angle did they not.

Possibly but unless they have cast iron documention in place its a dangerous game to play as you don't get to try again if the judge does not believe you and goes for liquidation. IF you have the money in place then you negotiate with HMRC in advance to avoid that scenario. Given they are 'locked in discussion' I would suggest that they don't have any proof of new money coming in as otherwise the discussion would be a lot shorted.. 'Look HMRC here is a large pile of cash and we will pay you in the morning.. Fine we will withdraw the WUO'.

Yes....but they lied, the investors were a not as real as they made out, and with Poopys history!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

A little problem here, there are now two partys who are on the petition, so they would have to buy them both off.:confused:

The money for the other is a lot less (60K I think I read somewhere) so if Chainrai can't run to that then they are not going to be able to sweet talk HMRC anyway.

Palace are in admin and they're allowed to continue. That won't be a problem. Liquidation, however, and the gates are shut Wednesday night, and they're out...of everything....forever.

Just to clarify Admin can only happen befor Wednesday.If they go that route then they COULD forget to apply to the FA to continue in the Cup.I realise that if the Winding up order is successful then they are dead, finito.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})