Andy Murray

bridge too far

Greg Rusedski all over again. Let's see if he can beat Mr Inconsistent.

I'll disregard the Rusedski remark as there is no comparison but I'm trying to work out how you can call Roger Federer inconsistant. 15 majors (Wimbledon 2003/04/05/06/07, US Open 2004/05/06/07, French open 2006/07/08 and Australian open 2004/06/07), a total of 55 tour wins plus 237 consecutive weeks at number one in the rankings and all this at the grand old age of 27, if that's inconsistant I'd hate to see his consistant record.

Well done Andy Murray. He may not be blessed with the ideal personality, to keep everybody entertained, but he can obviously play tennis bloody well. Players don't fluke wins over people like Nadal.

Absolutely agree, he is now number four in the world and has just soundly beaten the number one in the world, something you don't fluke, well done Andy and hopefully you can go one better tonight. It won't be easy but only two players can get to the final and to do that you have to be a bit special.

Well done Andy Murray. He may not be blessed with the ideal personality, to keep everybody entertained, but he can obviously play tennis bloody well. Players don't fluke wins over people like Nadal.

Exactly, there weren't too many Americans complaining about Sampras' personality when he was winning.

I can see that it sticks in the throats of a few on here that he is Scottish.

Murray, of course, has gone on record as saying he would support, "anyone but England" and therefore lost any support I would have given him.

Hope Federer tears him a new one.

Fair enough, but it doesn't mean that people should be racist or abusive towards him.

You have taken your stance and that is fine, but it is those who are hypocritical about it that I am calling out.

Guest Hacienda
Murray, of course, has gone on record as saying he would support, "anyone but England" and therefore lost any support I would have given him.

^^^^^What he said^^^^^^

I can see that it sticks in the throats of a few on here that he is Scottish.

I don't think his nationality is a problem, it's his attitude about "anyone but the English," that gets up people's noses tbh. Contrast that with quadruple Olympic champion Chris Hoy, a Scot, who when asked if he'd like to represent Scotland rather than GB in the Olympics said, "No, I'm proud to be a Scot but I'm proud to be a Brit too!"

I think that those 'in the know' know that he was being sarcastic with those comments about England.

According to those who know him, he's not a dour Scot at all, just a young lad who's still maturing.

In any event, he's a world class tennis player - not a comedian or a winner of a beauty contest. We should judge him on that talent and nothing else.

I thought that game last night was one of the most exciting tennis matches I've ever watched (and I've watched a few). Murray's play was sensational.

Guest Hacienda
Does anyone have a link to where he said he'd support anyone but England?

It was during the last World Cup when being interviewed at Wimbledon.

It was during the last World Cup when being interviewed at Wimbledon.

Wasn't he being asked if he was supporting Trinidad & Tobago because of Jason Scotland and he said he would support any of the teams apart from England.

However, go Murray, hope he wins tonight.

Thought this might interest some of you who berate Murray for being 'anti-English'.

From Wiki, but if you go to the website, you'll find the references

National identity

Murray identifies himself as "Scottish, but also British".[4][5] Prior to Wimbledon 2006, Murray caused some public debate[54] when he stated that he would like to see "anyone except England" win the 2006 World Cup. He received large amounts of hate mail on his website as a result.[55] Murray subsequently explained that his comments were said in jest in response to provocation from an English reporter who had asked if Murray would be supporting Scotland in the World Cup.[56] The reporter had asked the question in the knowledge that Scotland had not qualified for the tournament. Murray protested that he is "not anti-English and never was"[4] and he expressed disappointment over England's elimination from the 2006 World Cup by Portugal.[57]

In an interview with Gabby Logan for the BBC's Inside Sport programme, Andy said that he was both Scottish and British and was comfortable and happy with his British identity.[58] He said he saw no conflict between the two and was equally proud of them. He has also pointed out that he is 1/4 English with some of his family originating from Newcastle, his coach is English and that his girlfriend, Kim Sears, is English.[59]

Thought this might interest some of you who berate Murray for being 'anti-English'.

From Wiki, but if you go to the website, you'll find the references

And of course, Wiki is completely neutral with no input allowed from 3rd party individuals. It is inevitable he would want to backtrack on his statement. After all, he is a sportsman in the "entertainment" business, and the last thing you want to do is alienate punters, isn't it? Too late for me and a lot of others I'm afraid. He also looks patently ridiculous when he opens his gob.

And of course, Wiki is completely neutral with no input allowed from 3rd party individuals. It is inevitable he would want to backtrack on his statement. After all, he is a sportsman in the "entertainment" business, and the last thing you want to do is alienate punters, isn't it? Too late for me and a lot of others I'm afraid. He also looks patently ridiculous when he opens his gob.

Why is that relevant? The first and only thing he wants to do is to win major trophies.

I don't suppose he gives a flying f**k what 'punters' think TBH.

But as Bath Saint says, and as has been widely reported by sensible journalists, it was a tongue in cheek comment. However, irresponsible sections of the media chose to make it into something it wasn't.

Why is that relevant? The first and only thing he wants to do is to win major trophies.

I don't suppose he gives a flying f**k what 'punters' think TBH.

But as Bath Saint says, and as has been widely reported by sensible journalists, it was a tongue in cheek comment. However, irresponsible sections of the media chose to make it into something it wasn't.

Did you hear the quote? If not, you're relying on 3rd party reporting. And there's no need to swear, thanks very much.

Aren't some people on here forgetting that English is not the same as British? Wouldn't it be entirely possible to support anyone but England in one type of competition (like football) and support GB in lets say the Olympics? Wouldn't it even be logical since England are one of the main rivals of Scotland in some sports when at the same time they are part of the same team in others?

I heard the quote and it sounded like what it quite clearly was; a tongue in cheek remark designed to wind up the hard of thinking and take the p1ss out of knee-jerk nationalism. It seems to have worked very well.

He's got a boring voice, but he's a superb tennis player and last night's closing sets were great to watch. Here's hoping for another great match tonight.

Aren't some people on here forgetting that English is not the same as British? Wouldn't it be entirely possible to support anyone but England in one type of competition (like football) and support GB in lets say the Olympics? Wouldn't it even be logical since England are one of the main rivals of Scotland in some sports when at the same time they are part of the same team in others?

dont mean to be rude...but that is one of the most patronising posts I have read in a long time..

Peoples dislike for murray is nothing more than the chip on the old shoulder the scots have had for years which came to light in quite a big way before the 2006 world cup....and some have had enough..

scotland is one of the most openly racist countries I have been to...and I have been all over the world.

me, personally...I hope he wins as I think he is alright and a bloody good player...However, I can fully understand why many english folk dont like him...

Edited by Thedelldays

Being allegedly 'anti English' is not the same as being openly racist, and having lived in Scotland for 25 years, fail to see where you come up with that comment from?

ummm...NOT being allowed in certain pubs and being told that it is because of the country I am from..

NOT being allowed to cheer when watging an england game as they "did not want that kind in their pubs"...

being ignored at fast food outlets and jokingly told by another customer, "you should at least try and put on a scottish accent and you might get served"..

um, that disabled kids being abused during the world cup and got blue paint thrown on him whilst he was in a wheel chair...

I could go on, the racism against the english is so bloody blatent and allowed it was alarming..

all this in places I have been to..

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Rosyth

Helensburgh

Dunfirmline

Aberdeen

Dundee

Kirkaldy

Inverkeething

and many more

Im sorry, I have been subject to all sorts of abuse (nasty abuse too) just down to the fact of the accent that came out of my mouth..

ummm...NOT being allowed in certain pubs and being told that it is because of the country I am from..

NOT being allowed to cheer when watging an england game as they "did not want that kind in their pubs"...

being ignored at fast food outlets and jokingly told by another customer, "you should at least try and put on a scottish accent and you might get served"..

um, that disabled kids being abused during the world cup and got blue paint thrown on him whilst he was in a wheel chair...

I could go on, the racism against the english is so bloody blatent and allowed it was alarming..

all this in places I have been to..

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Rosyth

Helensburgh

Dunfirmline

Aberdeen

Dundee

Kirkaldy

Inverkeething

and many more

Im sorry, I have been subject to all sorts of abuse (nasty abuse too) just down to the fact of the accent that came out of my mouth..

I am Scottish but have an English accent (went to school in England) but have never suffered any abuse like this, maybe it was your attitude that they didn't like.

On the other side of the coin is that I have received abuse in England whilst wearing my Scotland shirt, but I just ignored it as being dimwits who will pick up on anything different about people to get a rise out of them and have an excuse to beat them up. There are people like that in every country.

I am Scottish but have an English accent (went to school in England) but have never suffered any abuse like this, maybe it was your attitude that they didn't like.

On the other side of the coin is that I have received abuse in England whilst wearing my Scotland shirt, but I just ignored it as being dimwits who will pick up on anything different about people to get a rise out of them and have an excuse to beat them up. There are people like that in every country.

Shut it you "slack jawed sweaty sock".;)

As I said being anti English and racist can be 2 completely different things, depending on your acceptance of the definition of the word race. From the English Oxford Dictionary it can mean either a "group of persons connected by common descent", or in it's primary definition, a race is "one of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics"

I am sorry you had bad experiences in the places you mentioned but to be fair they are all ****e anyway...

Back to the tennis, hope Murray wins for Britain and Scotland, as he himself says, as would I.

As I said being anti English and racist can be 2 completely different things, depending on your acceptance of the definition of the word race. From the English Oxford Dictionary it can mean either a "group of persons connected by common descent", or in it's primary definition, a race is "one of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics"

I am sorry you had bad experiences in the places you mentioned but to be fair they are all ****e anyway...

Back to the tennis, hope Murray wins for Britain and Scotland, as he himself says, as would I.

Erm - you're from Glasgow.

I'll disregard the Rusedski remark as there is no comparison but I'm trying to work out how you can call Roger Federer inconsistant. 15 majors (Wimbledon 2003/04/05/06/07, US Open 2004/05/06/07, French open 2006/07/08 and Australian open 2004/06/07), a total of 55 tour wins plus 237 consecutive weeks at number one in the rankings and all this at the grand old age of 27, if that's inconsistant I'd hate to see his consistant record.

think he was being sarcastic

dont like him, he cant grow a proper beard, is ginger and scottish

but good luck to him for tonight. i for one wont be watching

If he wins it's a great performance from a fantastic British player. If he loses it's because he is a useless Scots w*nker.

If he wins, I will cheer the British hero, if he loses then I will laugh at the Scottish c*nt.

Bit of waste of your three posts to say things that have already been said.

Both were diiferent, one said he was a w*nker the other said he was a c*nt. Both different but correct.

Edited by Fan The Flames