Message from the Chairman on the OS

Frank's cousin

He says that they received literally thousands of Christmas cards from the fans. That was a great initiative suggested on here and which has borne fruit. The two of them can be in no doubt whatsoever as to the high esteem and gratitude the fans have towards them.

The least we can do now is fill the stadium on Boxing Day to thank them.

We really did luck out with Markus and Nicola. This time last season we were losing left, right and centre and could only count on the diversions of Man U for a plastic-filled capacity. Unbelievable that a year on we're close to selling out Exeter - all on the basis of our own efforts and achievements. Makes me proud, grateful and incredibly hopeful for the months and years ahead.

Edited by shurlock

I think we had sold over 21,000 for Exeter as at a week ago, and with the £10 for Adult and Child pair special deal hopefully we will get close to the 30k mark. Will depend on how many Exeter bring with them. It will be a big one for them, but with no trains running and still a few hours drive I doubt they'll bring more than 1500. Any idea what the latest ticket sales are?

January is going to be a massive month with potential transfers in and out of the club, JPT area final first leg, 6 pointer games v Millwall / Huddersfield / Swindon, who knows could have a big tie in the FA Cup 4th round.

Says it all about the quality and sincerity of our leadership team !

I was always wholly against administration, but despite the nuisance of -10 points it has brought us these excellent people together with a workable and exciting future strategy - And returned pride to this great club of ours.

Beyond my wildest hopes from where we were a year ago.

Thanksyou Markus and Nicola and Happy Christmas to you and yours too !

Does it not bother anyone else that he doesn't really mention Christmas, apart from to say have a nice one? Surely this would have been an ideal time to just spend a short amount of time getting people to think about the true meaning of Christmas and what is really important in life? Football is here all the time and we're all guilty of either thinking too much about it, spending too much on it writing too much about it on messageboards! But God is also always here with us, but we rarely see as much though going into Him as we do Southampton (ironically called The Saints"!). It would have just been a nice touch if he had mentioned the birth of Jesus and something about Christian values.

Does it not bother anyone else that he doesn't really mention Christmas, apart from to say have a nice one? Surely this would have been an ideal time to just spend a short amount of time getting people to think about the true meaning of Christmas and what is really important in life? Football is here all the time and we're all guilty of either thinking too much about it, spending too much on it writing too much about it on messageboards! But God is also always here with us, but we rarely see as much though going into Him as we do Southampton (ironically called The Saints"!). It would have just been a nice touch if he had mentioned the birth of Jesus and something about Christian values.

It is not ironic that we are called 'The Saints'. It is deliberate since we were formed by young men from St Mary's church - what is more surprising is that more teams (who can trace their origins back to church youth organisations) are not called the Saints.

We can therefore deduce that God is Saints fan and that far from being conflicted with football, He would be delighted to see a full house on Boxing Day joined together in worship with His team.

It is not ironic that we are called 'The Saints'. It is deliberate since we were formed by young men from St Mary's church

So WS is right; it is ironic, since we are called The Saints, that the Christmas message from the Chairman didnt mention God to Christ then?

The first and only time I will use the term "WS is right"...

Had sold 26k when I went there Friday lunch time. So got to be 27k or so now

that must be including away fans, otherwise 27k plus the away section would only leave a couple of thousand seats left for sale in the home end.

Doesn't bother me at all.

If I wanted to be lectured about a mythical tale i'd go to Church, not my football clubs website.

Yes, I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Its funny isn't it? Just the other day NC was getting stick for his spat with the Echo! Still, good luck to them both and to the club next year.

It was just a minority that made an issue out of the Echo thing. I think Duncan is still a bit upset about losing his free season ticket and this may have influenced his stance.

Not sure I wanted this to be a debate about faith/God (although as a Humanist, you will know what side I am on), but although I find it hard not to respond to WS's post, this is about football and that conversation is for another thread. However, 'values' are universal, 'Christian' or otherwise, so I dont think we need to be rude to WS.

I know that your post is an effort at satire, but thankfully for us atheists he declined to rabbit on about the meaning of Christmas on a football club website and kept it to what was pertinent for most of us.

And I disagree that too much time is concentrated on football and not enough about religion. We might have the odd punch-up that is football related, but we have full scale wars using religion as an excuse. As for the expenditure on football, even as a season ticket holder I'd find it a close run thing as to whether I spent more on watching football or on Christmas and the Christmas preparations began almost at the same time as the football season too.

Christmas might be a time of goodwill to all men and I am happy enough that there is a feeling of mutual goodwill between us and ML and NC. But I can't bring myself to show the same amount of goodwill towards the blue few along the coast. I'm a really bad person, aren't I?

I expect he wasn’t looking to alienate any non believers, Not saying I am one or not but he is the chairman of a football club giving a message about the club so far its just the timing of the statement is at Christmas time. Weve all had too long of being divided over issues through the club, and that’s why I believe there wasn’t a mention on god, Jesus or any other biblical comments. We are finally all pulling in the same direction and everyone is on board with it, (even Alpine, nearly!) Lets not alienate any Saints fans and see you all Boxing Day COYR!

Its funny isn't it? Just the other day NC was getting stick for his spat with the Echo! Still, good luck to them both and to the club next year.

Why is it funny? Surely it isn't two much for people to respond to individual actions and statements as they come along?

Why is it funny? Surely it isn't two much for people to respond to individual actions and statements as they come along?

It just goes to show that there will never be a consensus on here about anyone or anything. If you cannot see the irony between the the two threads then so be it.

Happy Christmas.

It was just a minority that made an issue out of the Echo thing. I think Duncan is still a bit upset about losing his free season ticket and this may have influenced his stance.

I agree that it was a minority, just as it was a minority who were saying a few weeks back that it wasn't a question of if Pardew should be sacked, it was a matter of when.

It just goes to show that no matter what anyone does at this club there will always be a faction of supporters who will take a negative viewpoint.

For those hoping that this nonsense would disappear along with Lowe, it obvioulsy has not.

I agree that it was a minority, just as it was a minority who were saying a few weeks back that it wasn't a question of if Pardew should be sacked, it was a matter of when.

It just goes to show that no matter what anyone does at this club there will always be a faction of supporters who will take a negative viewpoint.

For those hoping that this nonsense would disappear along with Lowe, it obvioulsy has not.

change the farking record for once

change the farking record for once

POt, kettle, black DD. I seem to remember you having several hobby horses on her which you flog to death. As ever, if you don't agree say why, if you don't like a thread find one you do!

I think I make a valid point. As you keep telling us, isn't that what this place is about?

It just goes to show that there will never be a consensus on here about anyone or anything. If you cannot see the irony between the the two threads then so be it.

Happy Christmas.

There's no irony there.

Some people were puzzled that NC banned the Echo. Some people think NC's Christmas message is a classy gesture. Both perfectly valid and compatible opinions.

I think you're seeing things that aren't there in order to make some kind of point.

Oh. There you go.

Brilliant.

Our Chairman publishes an uplifting message about the future of the club, and sad b**stards like SOGGY, still seething at how their twin Messiahs of beetroot-faced bullying pig farmer and clueless Scottish soak got unceremnoniously turfed out, turn it into an argument.

What a superb fan-base we have...:rolleyes:

Nice message NC.

The usual one eyed self justifying drivel from the king of guff, sadoldgit? Still making up opinions never displayed here (ever) and knocking them down to make a pi s s weak point? Oh yes he is. Happy t w a tt y christmas.

Edited by CB Fry

Happy Christmas.

Of course, if everybody agreed with your assertion that there could never be a consensus on here, then that in itself would have been a consensus, wouldn't it? ;)

But in any event, I disagree that there can never be a consensus on here. A consensus is the opinion of the majority and I reckon that under that definition the vast majority are of the opinion that Markus Liebherr and Nicola Cortese are the best thing that has happened to this club and that they are doing a brilliant job at running us. Of course, that opinion could change in the future, but at the moment the club is the closest it has been to being unified that I can ever remember. If you can produce evidence that supports your view that a consensus doesn't exist on that, I'd be pleased to read it.

Name me any poster on here who is not delighted that we are rid of Lowe, Wilde, Askham, Crouch, etc and not happier with whom we have now?

???

Brilliant.

Our Chairman publishes an uplifting message about the future of the club, and sad b**stards like SOGGY, still seething at how their twin Messiahs of beetroot-faced bullying pig farmer and clueless Scottish soak got unceremnoniously turfed out, turn it into an argument.

What a superb fan-base we have...:rolleyes:

Oh dear Alpine, you STILL don't get it do you? And for you to call any other fan sad takes the biscuit as the most negative poster once again in 2009.

Never mind.

"Clueless Scottish soak"??? LOL You are priceless Alpine. Sorry to hear that you have been unwell but good to see you back to your normal self again.