Message from the Chairman on the OS

Frank's cousin

Of course, if everybody agreed with your assertion that there could never be a consensus on here, then that in itself would have been a consensus, wouldn't it? ;)

But in any event, I disagree that there can never be a consensus on here. A consensus is the opinion of the majority and I reckon that under that definition the vast majority are of the opinion that Markus Liebherr and Nicola Cortese are the best thing that has happened to this club and that they are doing a brilliant job at running us. Of course, that opinion could change in the future, but at the moment the club is the closest it has been to being unified that I can ever remember. If you can produce evidence that supports your view that a consensus doesn't exist on that, I'd be pleased to read it.

Name me any poster on here who is not delighted that we are rid of Lowe, Wilde, Askham, Crouch, etc and not happier with whom we have now?

I am really happy with the situation we find ourselves now however I dont really feel the same way as other posters towards ML and NC yet

Although I would hate to think the position we would have been if Pinnacle had been the owners

Edited by John B

Does it not bother anyone else that he doesn't really mention Christmas, apart from to say have a nice one? Surely this would have been an ideal time to just spend a short amount of time getting people to think about the true meaning of Christmas and what is really important in life? Football is here all the time and we're all guilty of either thinking too much about it, spending too much on it writing too much about it on messageboards! But God is also always here with us, but we rarely see as much though going into Him as we do Southampton (ironically called The Saints"!). It would have just been a nice touch if he had mentioned the birth of Jesus and something about Christian values.

Yeah...good one.

Of course, if everybody agreed with your assertion that there could never be a consensus on here, then that in itself would have been a consensus, wouldn't it? ;)

But in any event, I disagree that there can never be a consensus on here. A consensus is the opinion of the majority and I reckon that under that definition the vast majority are of the opinion that Markus Liebherr and Nicola Cortese are the best thing that has happened to this club and that they are doing a brilliant job at running us. Of course, that opinion could change in the future, but at the moment the club is the closest it has been to being unified that I can ever remember. If you can produce evidence that supports your view that a consensus doesn't exist on that, I'd be pleased to read it.

Name me any poster on here who is not delighted that we are rid of Lowe, Wilde, Askham, Crouch, etc and not happier with whom we have now?[/quote

Well Wes, if that was the case I wonder why NC and AP have both come in fr cyber attacks recently.

You are right of course Wes, this is a place for debate and opposing views, but given the hatred shown here for previous eompoyers and the fact that both NC and AP seem to be a pretty decent job so far I hav been surprised to see them both give the "treatment" so soon!

My point is that I think we have an element of the fan base who like to wallow in the negative side of things and find it hard to adjust when things are going relatively well. They always need to find some kind of scapegoat to vent their anger on. Having not heard from Alpine for a while for example he has just had a pop at me and even managed to bring in George Burley again too and slag him off! Why would you feel the need to do that I wonder? What goes on in these people's live that they feel they have to continue their vendetta against people long after they have left?

Doesn't bother me at all.

If I wanted to be lectured about a mythical tale i'd go to Church, not my football clubs website.

?...Rather ironic then, that Marcus Liebherr (a man who clearly does believe) was influenced enough by the club's Christian background to buy the club at the 11th hour, and save it from total annihilation.

There are also those who prayed for the club in its darkest hour, and saw his intervention as an answer to prayer. :o

I am really happy with the situation we find ourselves now however I dont really feel the same way as other posters towards ML and NC yet

Although I would hate to think the position we would have been if Pinnacle had been the owners

Out of interest, what would they have to do to go up in your estimation??

Personally, I am wondering what else they could do to be better owners??

?...Rather ironic then, that Marcus Liebherr (a man who clearly does believe) was influenced enough by the club's Christian background to buy the club at the 11th hour, and save it from total annihilation.

There are also those who prayed for the club in its darkest hour, and saw his intervention as an answer to prayer. :o

I find it odd that people pray fot a football club. It is the definition of insanity in my view to believe that an ominpotent being would choose to answer the call of a few hundred football fans but ignore the millions starving worldwide... Strange priorities this God has. Or was it Marcusio, the God of Football we were praying to? ;)

Where the feck is this thread going....

Just for SOG

'****' you I wont do what you tell me' ;-)

Seriously, lets be honest. No one is infallable.... especially when it comes to opinions... Some felt NC was right about the ECHO some felt he was wrong... no one is every going to be 100% all the time whatever we think, but I think the message was spot on, relatively BS and spin free, sincere and appropriate. Time will tell on whether the legacy that ML and NC provide for the club is a great as ome of you are already alluding to, but it goes without question that to date they are headed in the right direction and things like the personal investment in the infrastructure etc shows its a long game they are interested in.

All the very best for Chrsitmas and the New Year to Nicola and Markus and least I forget you lot out there including Alps and SOG. Have a good one

I find it odd that people pray fot a football club. It is the definition of insanity in my view to believe that an ominpotent being would choose to answer the call of a few hundred football fans but ignore the millions starving worldwide... Strange priorities this God has. Or was it Marcusio, the God of Football we were praying to? ;)

Touche

Well Wes, if that was the case I wonder why NC and AP have both come in fr cyber attacks recently.

You are right of course Wes, this is a place for debate and opposing views, but given the hatred shown here for previous eompoyers and the fact that both NC and AP seem to be a pretty decent job so far I hav been surprised to see them both give the "treatment" so soon!

My point is that I think we have an element of the fan base who like to wallow in the negative side of things and find it hard to adjust when things are going relatively well. They always need to find some kind of scapegoat to vent their anger on. Having not heard from Alpine for a while for example he has just had a pop at me and even managed to bring in George Burley again too and slag him off! Why would you feel the need to do that I wonder? What goes on in these people's live that they feel they have to continue their vendetta against people long after they have left?

Why havent you got the balls to admit you wish your "dream team" of Roopey and Georgie were still in charge instead of trying to masquerade as a boring one-dimensional shrub trying to stimulate a debate which doesnt exist ?

Where the feck is this thread going....

Just for SOG

'****' you I wont do what you tell me' ;-)

Seriously, lets be honest. No one is infallable.... especially when it comes to opinions... Some felt NC was right about the ECHO some felt he was wrong... no one is every going to be 100% all the time whatever we think, but I think the message was spot on, relatively BS and spin free, sincere and appropriate. Time will tell on whether the legacy that ML and NC provide for the club is a great as ome of you are already alluding to, but it goes without question that to date they are headed in the right direction and things like the personal investment in the infrastructure etc shows its a long game they are interested in.

All the very best for Chrsitmas and the New Year to Nicola and Markus and least I forget you lot out there including Alps and SOG. Have a good one

Happy Christmas, Frank

Out of interest, what would they have to do to go up in your estimation??

Personally, I am wondering what else they could do to be better owners??

They are just owners to me thats all never really bothered who is the chairman just want some good times thats all.

People with money are just people with money.

Not sure I wanted this to be a debate about faith/God (although as a Humanist' date=' you will know what side I am on), but although I find it hard not to respond to WS's post, this is about football and that conversation is for another thread. However, 'values' are universal, 'Christian' or otherwise, so I dont think we need to be rude to WS.[/quote']

Damn. I so had you pegged as a religious fruitcake.

That aside....Jesus was born in September, Christmas is a pagan festival!!.

Well to be a pedant, The yuletide celebrations around the mid winter (21st December) are pagen in origin, the fact that Christ' mass is held in december is a calenar thing... and lest not forget that teh big fat bloke St Nicholas (santa claus) saints day is Dec 6th - he was a turkish (i think) bloke who apparently gave gifts to the poor children of households who could not afford to provide their girls with dowry's and so would have ended up in slavery etc...

Damn. I so had you pegged as a religious fruitcake.

seriously? ;-)

Hey evolutionary biologist me .... I worship at the alter of Darwinism - which for the creationists out there is NOT a belief, but knowledge based on reason and evidence ;-)

My favourite quotation:

" Ever notice how creationists look so ..unevolved?''

The late great Comedien Bill Hicks

seriously? ;-)

Hey evolutionary biologist me .... I worship at the alter of Darwinism - which for the creationists out there is NOT a belief, but knowledge based on reason and evidence ;-)

My favourite quotation:

" Ever notice how creationists look so ..unevolved?''

The late great Comedien Bill Hicks

Apologies, Frank. I now realise you're really one of us, minus a spell checker.

I thought it was relatively widely recognised he was probably born in March/April - especially given the respective lunar positions of those months in relation to the star the wise men might have followed.

I think Christmas is celebrated on 25th December to coincide with Roman traditions of worshipping the sun on this date (Soli Invictus); essentially because Emperor Constantine was fed up with people not working and having lots of time off to celebrate different religions/Gods on different days and not building any bloody roads!

With the spread of the Roman Empire, it is no surprise to find the spread of the Roman Catholic 'Christ-mass' taking off.

As to the bloke in the red suit, pass... ;)

How do you know it wasn't a few THOUSAND...or even prayers of ONE person, eh?

Dare I say to you that I was " wishing " very hard for an equaliser in the 92nd minute last Tuesday evening, but I'm not taking the credit for Waigo's goal, or Bart's saves.

...and I always understood it wasn't what God " allows, or ignores " but more a case of what the governments of.. or..

the people of the world allow to happen. Famine and storms aren't preventable but there are enough resources in the World to help people in catastrophic situations.

If not enough people care - nothing will change.

You don't always get the answer you want, BUT maybe the opponents fans prayed harder ! OUCH

Edited by david in sweden

ABSOLUTELY !.. and we don't know the exact year either, it was all the fault of that Dionysius Exiguus (and a bit from Archbishop Usher) that fouled up the calendar we have now.

However, there are people still alive today who can't tell you with any great certainty which month..or even which YEAR they were born in !:o

I think the most important thing is not that we celebrate on a certain day

..but the fact that we remember to celebrate it anyway.

ABSOLUTELY !.. and we don't know the exact year either, it was all the fault of that Dionysius Exiguus (and a bit from Archbishop Usher) that fouled up the calendar we have now.

However, there are people still alive today who can't tell you with any great certainty which month..or even which YEAR they were born in !:o

I think the most important thing is not that we celebrate on a certain day

..but the fact that we remember to celebrate it anyway.

Isnt it generally accepted that Jesus was born in 4BC.

BC, As is Before Christ :rolleyes:

Isnt it generally accepted that Jesus was born in 4BC.

BC, As is Before Christ :rolleyes:

Yes, around theat time,I think... maybe 5 BC.

I watched a TV prog.someyears back that suggested that the Bethlehem Star

was in fact a " triple conjunction " of 3 planets around that time.

Which was of itself a pretty unique occurance, and of course the three wise men, didn't have access to the Hubble telescope at the time, and they wrote about it as they saw it.

Unfortunately, the 4th century monk charged with the task of calculating the calendar back to find the " actual date " lost count on his fingers and toes and missed it by about 5 years. By the time the error was discovered, over a thousand years had passed, and no-one wanted to alter the history books or almanacs.

There were problems enough in 1753 when the Astronomer Royal deleted 10 days from the calender and there were street riots on London calling for the 10 days to be restored.

Edited by david in sweden

It was just a minority that made an issue out of the Echo thing. I think Duncan is still a bit upset about losing his free season ticket and this may have influenced his stance.

Just for the record I still get a "free" (as you put it) season ticket in lieu of the work I do on behalf of the club, which includes a profit to the club of over £50,000 in Hagiology book sales. (you remember my "boring" books) :)

Not sulking at all - just realised for every good guy on here there is also a village idiot, and your post was the perfect reminder.

Happy Xmas!

Just for the record I still get a "free" (as you put it) season ticket in lieu of the work I do on behalf of the club, which includes a profit to the club of over £50,000 in Hagiology book sales. (you remember my "boring" books) :)

Not sulking at all - just realised for every good guy on here there is also a village idiot, and your post was the perfect reminder.

Happy Xmas!

I hope you mean that dune is a village idiot for talking about your "free" season ticket, not because he disagrees with your views.

I bet all you heathens start believing in God when you're about to cark it. He won't be fooled, and you will probably end up at Fratton Park for all eternity.

Happy Christmas.

Why, at my time of death, will I start believing something I havent believed in all my life....

I bet all you heathens start believing in God when you're about to cark it. He won't be fooled, and you will probably end up at Fratton Park for all eternity.

Happy Christmas.

Luckily, so long as I repent all my sins, he grants me a get into Heaven free card all the same.

Or at least he does in the Christian religion.

Mind, if he doesn't let me in, I shall pop next door and ask the Muslim fella.

And then if that doesn't work, ask Vishnu to bring me back as a pigeon and crap all over Fratton Park...

Why, at my time of death, will I start believing something I havent believed in all my life....

you wouldn't be believing, human nature allows superstition to make you do it on the off chance that miraculously some force will intervene and you will not die. it would be last throw of the dice rather than a genuine belief that God would save you.

That is why we start praying at football. Desperation. Come on saints, only a minute to go......

Happy Xmas!

Duncan, there are plenty of us who can discern some of your drivel on here (hands up we're all guilty milord of proliferating cobblers opinions) from your excellent work for Hagiology [spel?]. Match of the Millennium, Dell Diamond, etc are my favourite bog reads - and trust me that is a compliment!!!!

He says that they received literally thousands of Christmas cards from the fans. That was a great initiative suggested on here and which has borne fruit. The two of them can be in no doubt whatsoever as to the high esteem and gratitude the fans have towards them.

The least we can do now is fill the stadium on Boxing Day to thank them.

All contributes to global warming, any little helps as Monty Python might have said.

Luckily, so long as I repent all my sins, he grants me a get into Heaven free card all the same.

Or at least he does in the Christian religion.

Mind, if he doesn't let me in, I shall pop next door and ask the Muslim fella.

And then if that doesn't work, ask Vishnu to bring me back as a pigeon and crap all over Fratton Park...

Like it.