Matchday Programmes - a discussion

Saint Fan CaM

Latest offering explained here...

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1978599,00.html

But... do you buy them? I have on occasion in the past, but then they tend to just lie around at home gathering dust until Mrs.CaM decides a clear-out is in order. Is there too much advertising to make them a worthy read? Is the information any different to what you can glean from the OS, Saintsplayer or on the forum? I guess there must be some fans who have collected them for years? If so, how many do you have/what years etc?

I would buy one if it was a really special game I suppose (whatever that may be), but nowadays it's not £3 I need to spend. Am I missing out on something?

I have always bought a programme since I first started going in 1975 but I really wonder why sometimes, especially when the price is £3 (or £3.50 bizarrely at Blackpool). I have boxes of the things gathering dust. I find the older programmes (pre 1970) fascinating but they are so bland these days and full of advertising. I am thinking of only buying for new grounds or special games. I may reinvest my £3 in some older programmes. Friend I go with never buys one and I think he thinks I am a bit of a kn0b for doing so !

Funnily enough, I bought one at Wycombe. It was pretty good I thought. Anyone who wants it can have it, if there are collectors out there! Feel free to pm and I'll send it on.

so did I. The bloke selling them looked miserable so I cheered him up and handed over 3 quid.

Did you see the young nipper trying to sell tours of the ground outside the away turnstiles? He would have had better luck outside the home gates methinks!!!

shame fanzines are not around anymore, used to love getting on the march for a good laugh, much more fan related,but as with this its tinternet now,shame

uts

Yep, much better reads than the programme. Cheaper and funnier. Which was the one with the Branfoot cover - On the March or Beautiful South? I used to read all of them but On the March was probably my favourite.

Yep, much better reads than the programme. Cheaper and funnier. Which was the one with the Branfoot cover - On the March or Beautiful South? I used to read all of them but On the March was probably my favourite.

I always buy a programme and really enjoy reading it with a beer on the train home to Salisbury. The articles are quite well written, and I always find Kelvin/Pardew's views on the current situation really interesting! Probably makes me sound a bit sad, but for me it's all part of the matchday exp.

Edited by the boy from saints
Took out an exclaimation mark - sounded a bit too happy clappy!

I have always bought a programme since I first started going in 1975 but I really wonder why sometimes, especially when the price is £3 (or £3.50 bizarrely at Blackpool). I have boxes of the things gathering dust. I find the older programmes (pre 1970) fascinating but they are so bland these days and full of advertising. I am thinking of only buying for new grounds or special games. I may reinvest my £3 in some older programmes. Friend I go with never buys one and I think he thinks I am a bit of a kn0b for doing so !

You know, that's what I find interesting actually - isn't it strange that we think of old programs as more 'interesting' and in a way more 'valuable', but of course that's because someone has taken the time to collect them! Sounds a bit obvious I suppose, but your comment struck a chord there - i.e. if someone doesn't collect them now, in 20, 30 or 40 years time there will be no old things for the youngsters to look back on.

In some respects modern forms of communication, where we crave information immediately (like on here for example), perhaps tend to lead us to think history is being written for us so we don't bother recording it for ourselves. I'm reminded of digital photos (can you imagine life without them now!) - we must each take 100's more photos a year than 20 years ago and yet how many of those do we bother to go back and look at?! Soooo.... if it cost say £2, would anyone buy the program more if it were downloadable from the OS the day before the game? Or does that defeat the whole object of owning it - i.e. it's the paper in your hands that counts? Even then I'm still not sure I would to be honest.

Bit surprised FF has not made a comment yet - this kind of thing must be right up his street I would have thought and I would have valued his comments as a historian type fellow.

You know, that's what I find interesting actually - isn't it strange that we think of old programs as more 'interesting' and in a way more 'valuable', but of course that's because someone has taken the time to collect them! Sounds a bit obvious I suppose, but your comment struck a chord there - i.e. if someone doesn't collect them now, in 20, 30 or 40 years time there will be no old things for the youngsters to look back on.

In some respects modern forms of communication, where we crave information immediately (like on here for example), perhaps tend to lead us to think history is being written for us so we don't bother recording it for ourselves. I'm reminded of digital photos (can you imagine life without them now!) - we must each take 100's more photos a year than 20 years ago and yet how many of those do we bother to go back and look at?! Soooo.... if it cost say £2, would anyone buy the program more if it were downloadable from the OS the day before the game? Or does that defeat the whole object of owning it - i.e. it's the paper in your hands that counts? Even then I'm still not sure I would to be honest.

Bit surprised FF has not made a comment yet - this kind of thing must be right up his street I would have thought and I would have valued his comments as a historian type fellow.

I think some of the programme is very worthwhile reading. My fellow historians Dave Juson and David Bull always write original historical pieces which I sometimes think are wasted in the programme. The editor, Simon is also very diligent and painstaking in trying to present a readable programme sometimes twice a week.

I know recently the size has been reduced so NC obviously thinks there is a lot of crap in there too. I think loads and loads of pictures of sponsors etc to be ott and I would personally (now the Echo have been sidelined) like to see more info on the Reserves and Youth.

I was told our programme is reasonably priced compared to some. I can't get to many games, but I always buy a programme as it enhances the experience and gives me something to flick through at half time, as opposed to standing in a queue a mile long for a pie and a pint.

Content-wise, aside from the managers notes and info on some of the oppositions players we're up against, it's not worth it IMO. (Unless you happen to be sat close to the camera in the pre-match build up and get a signed shirt for waving it like a loony.)

I have a collection of around 2,000 programmes and have been to just about all of the games ! I stopped buying them for a while in (a pretty pitiful !) gesture against 'him of the rosy cheeks' but have started again !

I've got all the big games for Saints and also some iconic ones as well (Real Madrid-Eintracht 1960 and Man U -Benfica 1968 for example).

I tend to buy Saints programmes nowadays out of habit, because there is almost nothing written that you can't find online so maybe I should pack it in, let's see !

I think some of the programme is very worthwhile reading. My fellow historians Dave Juson and David Bull always write original historical pieces which I sometimes think are wasted in the programme. The editor, Simon is also very diligent and painstaking in trying to present a readable programme sometimes twice a week.

I know recently the size has been reduced so NC obviously thinks there is a lot of crap in there too. I think loads and loads of pictures of sponsors etc to be ott and I would personally (now the Echo have been sidelined) like to see more info on the Reserves and Youth.

Thanks for you comments Duncan. You know I echo your last thoughts in a way - I would perhaps be more tempted if there was more information about the club as a whole - pictures of Staplewood, behind the scenes in the kitchens, stuff about pitch maintenance, etc etc. It would be good to have a paragraph from each of the 1st team players on how they're doing in training, thoughts on last match etc.

I think I may buy todays programme and provide everyone on here with a critical report of its contents etc. actually.

Thanks for you comments Duncan. You know I echo your last thoughts in a way - I would perhaps be more tempted if there was more information about the club as a whole - pictures of Staplewood, behind the scenes in the kitchens, stuff about pitch maintenance, etc etc. It would be good to have a paragraph from each of the 1st team players on how they're doing in training, thoughts on last match etc.

I think I may buy todays programme and provide everyone on here with a critical report of its contents etc. actually.

I agree regarding Staplewood, especially as it is being refurbished.

Articles like a day at Staplewood for instance.

I just buy a copy of Razzle and write the players' names on the centrefold spread when they are announced before the game. It is much better than the programme and gives me something to do at half time. I used to only ever be able to get off to Kamil Koslowski, and he never won MOTM enough for there to be a decent picture of him in his post-match finery in the programme the next week.