Charlton Athletic

Goalie66

While it is a long short I reckon that Charlton are chatchable. Of their last 16 games they have picked up only 21 points with 5 wins 5 losses and six draws. All their fans think they are dreadful and are in a false position. They also have to play:

Huddersfield A

US A

Colchester A

Leeds H

Norwich H

On their current form I think they may struggle to get another 12 points.

My next door neighbour is a season ticket holder and yesteday against Gillingham they were baying for the managers head.

Some hope? Or too much to do?

While it is a long short I reckon that Charlton are chatchable. Of their last 16 games they have picked up only 21 points with 5 wins 5 losses and six draws. All their fans think they are dreadful and are in a false position. They also have to play:

Huddersfield A

US A

Colchester A

Leeds H

Norwich H

My next door neighbour is a season ticket holder and yesteday against Gillingham they were baying for the managers head.

I'd be suprised if we can catch Charlton. What I think Charlton shows though is how a really good start to the season can set you up. Charlton where flying early in the season and even though they are wobbling badly they're still in with a shout of promotion.

Personally I can't what for them to come to st Mary's. My sons first ever match was last years 2-3 defeat to Charlton at the end of last season so I want us to destroy them this year. All so Charlton fans are so ****ing gobby it'd be nice to wipe the smile of their faces (although as you point out they're not smiling much at the moment).

Huddersfield A

US A

Colchester A

Leeds H

Norwich H

My next door neighbour is a season ticket holder and yesterday against Gillingham they were baying for the managers head.

Charlton and Colchester are both wobbling at the moment but it's probably too late. Our goal difference means we're almost guaranteed to be above any team we catch but we still need to gain 5 points on Bristol Rovers, 6 on MK Dons, 11 on Huddersfield and to catch one of the playoff teams who are all 13-17 points ahead of us. The pressure will tell on our players (and fans) so we're bound to slip up at some point. My prediction from a few weeks ago was that we'd get between 65 and 75 points. I now predict we'll get to 73 points (7 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat) which won't be enough.

Have just spent a week in Tenerife (tough but someone's got to do it) where I met and discussed life, the universe and football (it was AI so free booze all week) with a Charlton fan.

He reckons they have a consistently awful record over the last few games of every season (like we always seem to get a bad start) and gives them zero chance of automatic and is seriously worried about play-offs.

Given their run-in, they could well be in trouble. We will be meeting before to game on Apr 10th to resume our serious attempt to reduce the world's alcohol lake :)

Huddersfield A

US A

Colchester A

Leeds H

Norwich H

Statistically every season (on average) at least two teams in the top six will lose form badly after Easter ...so .....

Have just spent a week in Tenerife (tough but someone's got to do it) where I met and discussed life, the universe and football (it was AI so free booze all week) with a Charlton fan.

He reckons they have a consistently awful record over the last few games of every season (like we always seem to get a bad start) and gives them zero chance of automatic and is seriously worried about play-offs.

Given their run-in, they could well be in trouble. We will be meeting before to game on Apr 10th to resume our serious attempt to reduce the world's alcohol lake :)

I have a similar plan with a couple of old school friends who still follow the Addicks. And it's true that, even in the days when I used to be a Valley regular back in the seventies, Charlton always have a worse second half to their season. I don't know if we can catch them, it looks a tall order. But I wouldb't mind betting they slip down to 6th, maybe 7th.

It would be good if they don't go up if we don't because at least it gives us an excuse to get together and drink too much.

But your argument shoots itself in the foot a bit.

Should Charlton lose to say Huddersfield and Colchester that puts those teams into Charlton's place not us. This whole play-offs discussion is a bit ridiculous, we aren't going to make up 13 in 10 on Colchester, 11 in 10 on Huddersfield and

17 in 10 on Charlton, they may wobble and waiver but at the end of the day 2 of them will be above us.At this moment in time there are still 7 teams in this division who have obtained more points than us , ie we haven't caught them up in 36 games so why anyone should think we will surpass 2 of them in the last few games beats me.

Should Charlton lose to say Huddersfield and Colchester that puts those teams into Charlton's place not us. This whole play-offs discussion is a bit ridiculous, we aren't going to make up 13 in 10 on Colchester, 11 in 10 on Huddersfield and

17 in 10 on Charlton, they may wobble and waiver but at the end of the day 2 of them will be above us.At this moment in time there are still 7 teams in this division who have obtained more points than us , ie we haven't caught them up in 36 games so why anyone should think we will surpass 2 of them in the last few games beats me.

I agree that it seems somewhat dobtful on paper, but as I wrote earlier....almost every season at least 2 of the top 6 lose form dramatically in the run in after Easter. They might not lose every game, but if they only draw and get 1 point a game, then a run of 3 point games from Saints would quickly close the gap by gaining 2 points over the opposition from each match.

Those of us with an eye for history can look back at our copy of In That Number and see the dramatic end to the 1948/9 season when Saints were 8 pints ahead of the second club with 7 games to go. Saints lost top scorer Charlie Wayman through injury and then went into free fall, getting only 1 win and 2 draws from those last 7.

(In those days it was only 2 pts. for a win.)

It would indeed be a remarkable feat if it comes off and I believe it would go to the last game before we see the outcome..but ..remember 1949 !

NOTHING is impossible.

Totally agree.Charlton may indeed suffer a wobble but it is most unlikely given our level of consistancy that we will take advantage of it.

I'm confused - is it long or short...?? ;)

Perhaps he is hedging his bets.

I agree that it seems somewhat dobtful on paper, but as I wrote earlier....almost every season at least 2 of the top 6 lose form dramatically in the run in after Easter. They might not lose every game, but if they only draw and get 1 point a game, then a run of 3 point games from Saints would quickly close the gap by gaining 2 points over the opposition from each match.

Those of us with an eye for history can look back at our copy of In That Number and see the dramatic end to the 1948/9 season when Saints were 8 pints ahead of the second club with 7 games to go. Saints lost top scorer Charlie Wayman through injury and then went into free fall, getting only 1 win and 2 draws from those last 7.

(In those days it was only 2 pts. for a win.)

It would indeed be a remarkable feat if it comes off and I believe it would go to the last game before we see the outcome..but ..remember 1949 !

NOTHING is impossible.

Of course nothing is impossible..yet. This case is not so simple though, it's not about 1 team making up points on another team ,it's about us surpassing no less than 4 other teams who are more or less points ahead of us.Only 10

wins will do us any real good and even then I don't see any 2 of Colchester,Huddersfield,Swindon,Millwall and Charlton going into complete free fall and Bristol Rovers and MK Dons only getting average results.

Charlton have done really well to be where they are - no money spent, lost players, future in doubt, off field board trouble ect ect

If Charlton fans are calling for Parky's head then they are mental!

All too common these days - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Nottm Forest's recent wobble had some fans on their message board saying get rid of Davies!

Now get back to work.

Charlton are one of the few clubs in this league that I hate. The amount of stick we got on their forum when we appointed Pardew was pretty funny.

I remember the majority saying 'they're going straight to league two.' Even some couldn't understand why Liebherr had brought Southampton when he could have brought a bigger club like Charlton.

Anyway, back on topic - I think it would be a very tough task to catch up with Charlton.

Charlton have done really well to be where they are - no money spent, lost players, future in doubt, off field board trouble ect ect

If Charlton fans are calling for Parky's head then they are mental!

I think you need to support another team mate. You are full of praise for everyone but saints. Constantly..

I'd be suprised if we can catch Charlton. What I think Charlton shows though is how a really good start to the season can set you up. Charlton where flying early in the season and even though they are wobbling badly they're still in with a shout of promotion.

Personally I can't what for them to come to st Mary's. My sons first ever match was last years 2-3 defeat to Charlton at the end of last season so I want us to destroy them this year. All so Charlton fans are so ****ing gobby it'd be nice to wipe the smile of their faces (although as you point out they're not smiling much at the moment).

My sons first ever game as well.

Luckily he was only 4 and still doesn't know that we lost!

Fortunately he has been a few times this season and seen us win including MK at the weekend.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/wettbewerb/GB3/league_one/transfers/transferuebersicht.html

Just an interesting read. According to that we have 2m profit over the course 09-10 thus far..

I'll await the ripping apart from the doomers

did we really get 1.6 million for Rasiak, good business then, useless dork.

If NC got all that for Rasiak then he is a top top man.

but these figures aren't kosher are they because Hammond certainly wasn't free.Must be some silly video football game I guess.

Edited by Window Cleaner

My sons first ever game as well.

Luckily he was only 4 and still doesn't know that we lost!

Fortunately he has been a few times this season and seen us win including MK at the weekend.

We where at MK (was my sons first away match):p. I'm glad I started taking him this season (so far he has only seen saints lose once this year to Swindon:mad:). If I'd taken him last season he'd be a Manure fan like all his friends by now. This year though he has loved it now he's red and white just like his dad:D.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/wettbewerb/GB3/league_one/transfers/transferuebersicht.html

Just an interesting read. According to that we have 2m profit over the course 09-10 thus far..

I'll await the ripping apart from the doomers

That site doesn't have a clue and has little credibility for a start it states Seaborne and Hammond were free transfers which is clearly wrong.

Huddersfield A

US A

Colchester A

Leeds H

Norwich H

Harsh IMO, while the USA may not be the best world force, they're surely too good for Charlton.

I don't want Leeds to go up, and because of this, I actually hope Charlton's form picks up.

Slight tangent. Should I be ok to buy a Charlton ticket a week in advance when I'm down for the Orient home game? Also, Orient should be fine to get a ticket on the day, shouldn't it?

(and I assume that Brighton has long sold out?)

Slight tangent. Should I be ok to buy a Charlton ticket a week in advance when I'm down for the Orient home game? Also, Orient should be fine to get a ticket on the day, shouldn't it?

(and I assume that Brighton has long sold out?)

It's a bank holiday 3pm kick off, so there could be quite a few people interested in spending the day at St Mary's...

REMEMBER ..The Great Escape Season... 98/99

.....nothing is ever over 'till the fat referee blows time on the last game.

Hmm, an escape from relegation. I prefer the 1983-84 season where despite having Steve Williams injured for the run-in, Saints gained 6 wins and 4 draws. They lost the first 2 without Stevie, and then went on their run. Try this for size:

Leicester [H] 2-2

Everton [H] 3-1

West Ham [H] 2-0

Watford [A] 1-1

Coventry [H] 8 [Eight] - 2

Stoke City [A] 1-1

Spurs [H] 5-0

Brum City [A] 0-0

WBA [A] 2-0

Notts County [A] 3-1

It took them to within 3 points of Liverpool and 2nd place. Ironically, it was losing to relegated Notts County at home, the previous year, that possibly cost Saints the title that season. Same old Saints.

As for the other teams in this division, this season. There are plenty of slip-ups to be had. We're not out of it yet.

Hmm, an escape from relegation. I prefer the 1983-84 season where despite having Steve Williams injured for the run-in, Saints gained 6 wins and 4 draws. They lost the first 2 without Stevie, and then went on their run. Try this for size:

Leicester [H] 2-2

Everton [H] 3-1

West Ham [H] 2-0

Watford [A] 1-1

Coventry [H] 8 [Eight] - 2

Stoke City [A] 1-1

Spurs [H] 5-0

Brum City [A] 0-0

WBA [A] 2-0

Notts County [A] 3-1

It took them to within 3 points of Liverpool and 2nd place. Ironically, it was losing to relegated Notts County at home, the previous year, that possibly cost Saints the title that season. Same old Saints.

As for the other teams in this division, this season. There are plenty of slip-ups to be had. We're not out of it yet.

Nice quote Andrew, I was thinking of the fantstic run-in in those last 3 months. It was (mainly Pahars signing) that produced those vital goals to keep us up, but one of two of those teams who went down under us (Blackburn and Notts Forest) wouldn't have expected that looking at the table the prev.Christmas.

As stated I'm expecting (statistically speaking ) some fall-out from at least two of the present top six ..just how badly they perform and how well we can do to make up the gap ..remains to be seen.

COYR !!!!!!

Huddersfield A

US A

Colchester A

Leeds H

Norwich H

.and of course they don't actually have to lose ALL these games either.

A run of defeats or even 1 point draws would have the same outcome..especially IF we can continue to pick up 3 points a game.

Charltons form has dipped dramatically of late, and Colchester are looking a bit rocky, too.

Edited by david in sweden

.and of course they don't actually have to lose ALL these games either.

A run of defeats or even 1 point draws would have the same outcome..especially IF we can continue to pick up 3 points a game.

Charltons form has dipped dramatically of late, and Colchester are looking a bit rocky, too.

Which ever way I do that BBC predictor we can only get up on goal difference, finishing above both Charlton and Colchester but below Huddesfield. Therein lies the problem - there are nine teams currently better placed above us.

Which ever way I do that BBC predictor we can only get up on goal difference, finishing above both Charlton and Colchester but below Huddesfield. Therein lies the problem - there are nine teams currently better placed above us.

Thats the way I see it (and have done for a while), there's just to many teams they can't all **** it up. Without the -10 we'd be well placed for a last gasp push for the play offs but with the -10 it's to much to do with the games left.

perhaps they will go into administration?

...stranger things have happened !

there are already a couple of teams in L1 who are on the brink..

sadly not likely to help us much.

(as too are Cardiff ..and they are in play-off places in CCC .....

and Palace are on the way down after there debacle with -10)