Leyton Orient at home-

Turkish

in theory it should be a sell out. Trophy paraded around the pitch at some point, bank holiday so not many working.

but i bet it will only be about 24k.

thats what i thought, considering its a bank holiday, trophy paraded round the pitch and estimates of 51k great fans who had such an amazing day out at wembley on sunday, i'd have though selling 30k or so tickets for a home league match would be no problem.

Edited by Turkish

If Saints beat Brighton, I'd expect 30000 +

AND I'm going with my 2 kids , their FIRST Saints match!!!Whoopee!!!

i'd expect that anyway, if only one in two of the fans that went to Wembley on sunday attended that is still almost 26k home fans with probably around 1500 Orient fans meaning we should expect a minimum attendance of at least a 27.5k.

There were a lot of fans at Wembley that had travelled from accross the country and abroad. In my hotel there were two Irish saints, father and son i think, that had traveled to the game without tickets. Cup finals bring everyone out at the same time. Leyton Orient at home is never going to have that effect.

There were a lot of fans at Wembley that had travelled from accross the country and abroad. In my hotel there were two Irish saints, father and son i think, that had traveled to the game without tickets. Cup finals bring everyone out at the same time. Leyton Orient at home is never going to have that effect.

be that as it may, over half the fans there wont have travelled from all of the world. If you are generous maybe 1000 came from outside of England with lets say another 5000 from outside of the 50 mile radius of Southampton, so that leaves 45,000 fans who were at Wembley from within an hours drive of Southampton. then there are all the fans that wanted a ticket but couldn't get one.

I couldn't go back without at least going to one other game, and luckily I've managed to get two. Will be there on Monday and also the Charlton game - although it will be a quick dash up the motorway to Heathrow straight afterwards :)

Almost the same as you mate! I leave the day after Charlton and plan on both of these home games. (I'd better call the ticket office tomorrow to see how sales are going and probably book.)

It's also Easter and school holidays which means people will also be away on holiday/short-breaks/visiting relatives etc. I reckon 25K at most.

or will have people visiting them so could bring them along to the game, that is what i would do anyway. And the majority of people wont be working, with work commitments cited as one of the top three reasons why people dont attend games.

Orient's support is very small, given their proximity to West Ham entirely understandable, I'd be surprised if they brought more than 1,000.

but what about our fans? If one in two that were at Wembley turn up then should be 26k home fans, i think it is more than reasonable to expect a minimum of 50% of what we took to Wembley be attending matches regularly at home. So why is our average home attendance only 21k?

but what about our fans? If one in two that were at Wembley turn up then should be 26k home fans, i think it is more than reasonable to expect a minimum of 50% of what we took to Wembley be attending matches regularly at home. So why is our average home attendance only 21k?

"Only" 21,000 is a lot in Division 3. We were getting 15,000 in the Prem 9 years ago.

You're always going to get a lot of people wanting to go to Wembley, particularly as we hadn't played there since it had been re-built.

"Only" 21,000 is a lot in Division 3. We were getting 15,000 in the Prem 9 years ago.

You're always going to get a lot of people wanting to go to Wembley, particularly as we hadn't played there since it had been re-built.

It may be a lot for division 3 but i wonder where the other 30,000 "fans" that were at Wembley sunday, plus all the the others that wanted a ticket but couldn't get one, are every week. I dont see people posting on here with their seat, row and block number when we had Stockport at home or Brentford away.

It may be a lot for division 3 but i wonder where the other 30,000 "fans" that were at Wembley sunday, plus all the the others that wanted a ticket but couldn't get one, are every week. I dont see people posting on here with their seat, row and block number when we had Stockport at home or Brentford away.

I would've done, but i was in the terrace at Brentford ;).

Me too, and in my season ticket seat for Stockport. I shall not be there for this game though, the only league home game I shall miss. :mad:

Plastic. You go to Wembley then miss the Leyton Orient game ;).

How is that relevant? It was a 15,000 seater stadium so how could they have got more?

But our fanbase has grown since that time. Probably more notably in terms of the away following. I can remember being one of only about 400 Saints on a Saturday at Maine Road when we drew 3-3 up there when Ekelund was on fire, and regularly one of about 500 - 600 at Elland Road in any season in the mid to late 90's.

And yet we now take 900 to Hartlepool in midweek and 2,000 to Leeds.

But our fanbase has grown since that time. Probably more notably in terms of the away following. I can remember being one of only about 400 Saints on a Saturday at Maine Road when we drew 3-3 up there when Ekelund was on fire, and regularly one of about 500 - 600 at Elland Road in any season in the mid to late 90's.

Agree with that, i remember going to Leeds c1997? We won 1-0 and Carlton Palmer got sent off and there was only about 500 there.

If the missing 30k also manged to get off their arse and go to half a dozen games a season then we would sell out every week, funnily enough we had no problems in the premier league. What team to they go to watch?

In the 1970's and early 1980's The Dell was attracting crowds of 20,000+

In the 1990's The Dell capacity was reduced due to the Taylor Report. It became 15,000 but had it been larger the crowds would have been larger.

Edited by Matthew Le God

In the 1970's and early 1980's The Dell was attracting crowds of 20,000+

In the 1990's The Dell capacity was reduced due to the Taylor Report. It became 15,000 but had it been larger the crowds would have been larger.

i remember being at the Dell in the mid to late eighties when crowds of 15-16000 were common place before the capacity was reduced. I remember one game during the Branfoot era when the crowd was only about 9,000 with a sit in protest after the game. There is no doubt our fan base has grown, but i do question which team some of these so called saints fans go to watch.

I will be there, but not in my usual seat in the Kingsland/Northam corner, as my lad has been picked out the hat to be mascot for the day!:supz: Bringing along 3 of his mates and the missus. Downside is that they don't let a parent accompany the mascot on the visit to the dressing room & meet the players part :mad:. Good news is a fully signed JPT Final programme will be available on ebay from Monday night! (that is a joke)

I'll be there. I was going on my tod until I realised it was a 3pm kick off and not a 7:45 kick off. (I'm a doughnut.)

So bought another for the other half. She can drive down, she doesn't know it yet, but I'm fed up of staying sober for Saints games due to driving.

I'll be there. I was going on my tod until I realised it was a 3pm kick off and not a 7:45 kick off. (I'm a doughnut.)

So bought another for the other half. She can drive down, she doesn't know it yet, but I'm fed up of staying sober for Saints games due to driving.

Good man, she should expect to drive anyway, i mean why else would a woman be allowed to go to football?

or will have people visiting them so could bring them along to the game, that is what i would do anyway. And the majority of people wont be working, with work commitments cited as one of the top three reasons why people dont attend games.

If you cant make Saturday games because of work then more then more than likely you work in retail, leisure, or service industry, which won't mean you are any more likely to be free on a Bank Holiday Monday!!

If you cant make Saturday games because of work then more then more than likely you work in retail, leisure, or service industry, which won't mean you are any more likely to be free on a Bank Holiday Monday!!

smae could be said for sundays, didn't hear many people citing work commitments as a reason they couldn't go on sunday.

smae could be said for sundays, didn't hear many people citing work commitments as a reason they couldn't go on sunday.

Yes but if you work in retail and have to work weekends. Which fixture are you going to book holiday for? JPT final at Wembley or a normal L1 league game v Leyton Orient at SMS?

Yes but if you work in retail and have to work weekends. Which fixture are you going to book holiday for? JPT final at Wembley or a normal L1 league game v Leyton Orient at SMS?

so are you saying the 30,000 fans that were at Wembley that dont go regularly/at all all work in the retail sector?

so are you saying the 30,000 fans that were at Wembley that dont go regularly/at all all work in the retail sector?

Of course not but there's a hell of a lot more reasons to go to Wembley, than a normal League home game. I'm not going because I'm away for the weekend and going to a friends wedding reception. If that had been last weekend, I'd have said, sorry guys, you'll have to do it without me.

Of course not but there's a hell of a lot more reasons to go to Wembley, than a normal League home game.

Yeah there is, its called jumping on the bandwagon and being a plastic fan. Do they support Saints or the occasion, and at the "big" games, Pompey, Leeds etc which team are they going to watch? As i say, not everyone can or wants to go every week, but you'd expect all these people that had such a "whoop whoop day, OMG wemberlee was soooo amazin' lol!! " to get off there arse at least a handful of times a season and go now and again. I bet these sames ones who didn't watch the last five years of dross but would expect a ticket for the play off finals and be moaning about all the corporate tickets if they cant get one.

Yeah there is, its called jumping on the bandwagon and being a plastic fan. Do they support Saints or the occasion, and at the "big" games, Pompey, Leeds etc which team are they going to watch? As i say, not everyone can or wants to go every week, but you'd expect all these people that had such a "whoop whoop day, OMG wemberlee was soooo amazin' lol!! " to get off there arse at least a handful of times a season and go now and again. I bet these sames ones who didn't watch the last five years of dross but would expect a ticket for the play off finals and be moaning about all the corporate tickets if they cant get one.

So you'd rather us sell 19,000 tickets then? There may have been a lot of part-time fans (or plastics if you like). But it was a brilliant day, a brilliant sight and shows the potential support of our club.

Your assumption that there was only 5000 fans from outside the SO postcode is wrong IMO. There were around 70 people from Weymouth alone.

Also, I am a ST holder and can't go to this one as I am working 10-5 that day. If it was 7.45 I could jump on the last train, but as it is i'm fooked.

Your assumption that there was only 5000 fans from outside the SO postcode is wrong IMO. There were around 70 people from Weymouth alone.

Also, I am a ST holder and can't go to this one as I am working 10-5 that day. If it was 7.45 I could jump on the last train, but as it is i'm fooked.

Exactly, I'm from Andover and have a season ticket and travel to nearly every away game (super fan hey ;) )

No, i said 5000 from outside a 50 miles radius of Southampton, both Weymouth and Andover are in this zone.

Orient's support is very small, given their proximity to West Ham entirely understandable, I'd be surprised if they brought more than 1,000.

Orient won't bring that many I don't think.

Orient will bring plenty, a lot will make a day of it, new/big ground/away day for them, they'll have 2k+.

So you'd rather us sell 19,000 tickets then? There may have been a lot of part-time fans (or plastics if you like). But it was a brilliant day, a brilliant sight and shows the potential support of our club.

What i'd rather is that people supported the club and went to watch saints rather than the occasion or the other team.

Also, just to clarify regarding all those excited about the support we took to Wembley, there were loads of people around me who had brought their wife/kids/mates along for a day out, who were all clearly not regular match goers, but came along for a good day out at Wembley.

Also, just to clarify regarding all those excited about the support we took to Wembley, there were loads of people around me who had brought their wife/kids/mates along for a day out, who were all clearly not regular match goers, but came along for a good day out at Wembley.

But what's wrong with that?