Charlton Athletic Build Up

Appy

If we aren't out of it yet. Then this is the first of 7 must win games as we know.

Have looked at the Charlton Website and they have only sold just over 1,100 for saturday, which is a surprise seeing how big a game it is for them too.

Team for me:

Kelv

Otsemobor Seabourne Fonte Harding

Puncheon Schneiderlin Hammond Lallana

Barnard Lambert.

2-0 Saints for me.

enjoy the game..playoffs are gone

no other pressure than finishing the season off in good form

In your opinion and mine they are gone. Others still have hope. Hopefully the players still do as i would love to beat Charlton.

Have looked at the Charlton Website and they have only sold just over 1,100 for saturday, which is a surprise seeing how big a game it is for them too.

In recent seasons their support at St Mary's has been very poor, considering there has usually been something on the game and the relatively short distance to travel.

Extract from the Charlton website:

Over 1,100 Addicks fans have secured their place for the trip at St. Mary's from Charlton's initial allocation of 2,245 seats. Tickets have been returned but fans can buy on the day, with places priced £22 adults, £17 over 60s and U22s, £10 U17s and £5 U13s.

Hardly 3,200 is it?

In your opinion and mine they are gone. Others still have hope. Hopefully the players still do as i would love to beat Charlton.

Its the old head and heart thing. I know in my head we wil just miss out, but my heart still has hope that all results will fall in our favour and we will scrape into 6th spot against Southend.

Its the old head and heart thing. I know in my head we wil just miss out, but my heart still has hope that all results will fall in our favour and we will scrape into 6th spot against Southend.

We just need to win as many and get as many points as possible between now and the end of the season. It still probably won't be enough but we would all be gutted if Huddersfield, Colchester and Bristol Rovers all slip up but because we had given up the chase, we never got enough points to capitalise.

Can see us winning this one which will keep peoples hopes up of reaching the playoffs. Can't really see us winning 7 games in a row though, especially with a couple of tricky away days, but you never know in football. I still have a tiny bit of hope left, but that will be crushed with a draw or loss in any of the remaining fixtures. Colchester host Swindon tomorrow and Huddersfield go to Brentford.

in my eyes if we win every game well make the play offs so ill keep dreaming untill we fail to win a game. 5/8 of the games are at home and 2/3 away games are against crao opposition, so why not. Is nice to dream.

2/3 away games against rubbish opposition? That has been our downfall this season, e.g Tranmere, Stockport, Exeter.........

in my eyes if we win every game well make the play offs so ill keep dreaming untill we fail to win a game. 5/8 of the games are at home and 2/3 away games are against crao opposition, so why not. Is nice to dream.

Crao, sorry crap opposition like Exeter, Wycombe & Tranmere?

Anyone any ideas what sort of attendance we're expecting for this one?

We just need to win as many and get as many points as possible between now and the end of the season. It still probably won't be enough but we would all be gutted if Huddersfield, Colchester and Bristol Rovers all slip up but because we had given up the chase, we never got enough points to capitalise.

Exactly, the player's mentality has to be that if we win every game we have a chance of getting promoted.

I'll be looking forward to each and every game until the end of the season, despite my opinion that the season is already over for us. For those that still believe, a win is a must against Charlton, and for every game left, but even though we're at home, I just don't see it happening.

I reckon this game has draw written all over it, 2-2.

Why don't people think we'll win?

We drew away with them in the league and beat them at home easily in the cup.

Apart from Jaidi, we will probably be able to field our strongest 11. We should win and I expect us to.

Despair I can live with (get over it after kicking a few cats and massive hang overs) - it's the hope that kills me :-) Just when we think we have blown the play offs for this year, we put together a few results or some bright spark comes up with a possible (completely unrealistic but just about plausible) case for us making it and I get my hopes up again - just to end up in the same old football cycle of life and disappointment !!!

No matter how many times I convince myself we have blown the play off this season and just enjoy the remaining games and look forward to next season, some fracker (Caprica speak) gives me HOPE - not sure I can take any more :-(

p.s. hate to say it (as they are just about an English team), but delighted Manure lost last night !!!

After the crap dished up against Orient I expect us to respond and win this one. Partly because there's no real hope or expectation of making the play offs the pressure should be off. If we keep winning and get a few snookers the pressure will really come on and that is when we will balls it up imo. So I'm going for par, 3-1 to Saints.

I also think we will win and win well, they aren't very good, we have already beat them and drawn away, they need to push for a win so we will tear them apart. 4-1.

I reckon they'd be happy with a point down here, just hope the Saints mind-set that done Leeds turn up and not the one against Orient. Charlton are a shade better than Orient.

And where did the Echo get 3,200 Charlton fans from? They took 2,200 tickets, sold 1,100 and sent the rest back.

http://tickets.cafc.co.uk/TicketsLatest.ink

No doubt more will turn up and pay-on-the-day but 1,100 sold for this one. Shocking.

bring it on , always nice to turnover a ****ney side.

as for the playoffs my old man (80) keeps quoting when saints were points ahead in the old div 2 with 8 games left and lost out because of a poor run in , so Huddersfield beware if we keep winning anything could happen

Tranmere and Brighton were the last must win games. Even if Saints win all the remaining 7, Huddersfield cannot be caught if they win 4 of their last 6, or win 3 and draw 2. As for Saints winning 7 games in a row, er, no. The last 7 league games were:- LWLWWDW. But never mind, rebuild in the summer, and lets have no prevarication from Pardew, the target next year is to win the Division with a team that can go straight on to make an impact in the n-power Champ. It could be a brilliant season.

enjoy the game..playoffs are gone

Unfortunately, you're probably just about right.

However, that cannot be the mindset of the players or of AP. Can you imagine the backlash from the supporters if it was evident that we'd just given up on reaching the play offs?

The usual suspects would have a field day with negativity towards Pardew - "we should never have given up", "we still could have made it FFS" etc etc.

Therefore whilst it's still mathematically possible, we should go out there believing we can still do it. I think we'll win 2-1 tomorrow and it'll be a close game.

Can't make it down myself but hoping for an entertaining encounter.

Unfortunately, you're probably just about right.

However, that cannot be the mindset of the players or of AP. Can you imagine the backlash from the supporters if it was evident that we'd just given up on reaching the play offs?

The usual suspects would have a field day with negativity towards Pardew - "we should never have given up", "we still could have made it FFS" etc etc.

Therefore whilst it's still mathematically possible, we should go out there believing we can still do it. I think we'll win 2-1 tomorrow and it'll be a close game.

Can't make it down myself but hoping for an entertaining encounter.

Exactly. Unless you are confident Huddersfield will win every match then at some point there will be an opportunity to close the gap and put the pressure on. We have to make sure we're ready to capitalise, just in case a chance materialises.

They could lose a key player in a match, score a freak own goal, whatever.

I'm not going to book a hotel for the play-offs final but I think we have a team capable of getting the results we need so we have to make sure we do that without worrying about the other teams' results.

If we aren't out of it yet. Then this is the first of 7 must win games as we know.

Team for me:

Kelv

Otsemobor Seabourne Fonte Harding

Puncheon Schneiderlin Hammond Lallana

Barnard Lambert.

2-0 Saints for me.

That's pretty much everyone's first pick team including Pards, so no prizes for that but the jury is still out o Otsemobor and why not give Lloyd a run out at RB, at lease he gets forward and can put in decent crosses; unlike Puncheon Lloydy can take useful corners.

I am looking forward most to the game being played in nice warm spring sunshine for a change so we can turn up in lighter clothes and not huddle together to keep warm.

Despair I can live with (get over it after kicking a few cats and massive hang overs) - it's the hope that kills me :-) Just when we think we have blown the play offs for this year, we put together a few results or some bright spark comes up with a possible (completely unrealistic but just about plausible) case for us making it and I get my hopes up again - just to end up in the same old football cycle of life and disappointment !!!

No matter how many times I convince myself we have blown the play off this season and just enjoy the remaining games and look forward to next season, some fracker (Caprica speak) gives me HOPE - not sure I can take any more :-(

p.s. hate to say it (as they are just about an English team), but delighted Manure lost last night !!!

This. This part of the season is definately a red and white striped rollercoaster :rolleyes:

I doubt the players adopt any attitude displayed on this forum and nor would I expect them to

does not change the reality that the season is over...lets just enjoy the run in

If it was clear that the players and the manager had given up on the playoffs despite it being possible, you'd be livid wouldn't you?

If it was clear that the players and the manager had given up on the playoffs despite it being possible, you'd be livid wouldn't you?

not the point I was making.....they can try as they might, the season is over....not being negative..just realising where we are right now

That's pretty much everyone's first pick team including Pards, so no prizes for that but the jury is still out o Otsemobor and why not give Lloyd a run out at RB, at lease he gets forward and can put in decent crosses; unlike Puncheon Lloydy can take useful corners.

I am looking forward most to the game being played in nice warm spring sunshine for a change so we can turn up in lighter clothes and not huddle together to keep warm.

Not sure there will be too much sunshine;

From Until Temp Feels UV Rain Cloud Dir Speed Gust 1:00 3:59 5 °c 7 °c 0 0.0 mm 89 % 0 mph 0 mph

4:00 6:59 3 °c 4 °c 0 0.0 mm 69 % 2 mph 2 mph

7:00 9:59 14 °c 14 °c 2 0.0 mm 40 % 2 mph 2 mph

10:00 12:59 16 °c 17 °c 4 0.0 mm 45 % 4 mph 5 mph

13:00 15:59 17 °c 15 °c 5 0.0 mm 86 % 5 mph 6 mph

16:00 18:59 17 °c 12 °c 3 0.0 mm 92 % 5 mph 6 mph

19:00 21:59 12 °c 8 °c 0.0 mm 93 % 5 mph 6 mph

not the point I was making.....they can try as they might, the season is over....not being negative..just realising where we are right now

Ok, then we're making different points. Because I tend to agree that we will just miss out, but the point I was making was that I hope the players and staff don't have the same attitude - and they shouldn't.

We will not win our last seven games so lets enjoy it. We have to start playing from the first minute[unlike Hartlepool and Orient, where we could and should have been at least

2-0 down in the first ten minutes]. If we are totally up for the game we will win comfortably, if not we will probably lose by the odd goal.

Problem is, we've heard 'the playoffs are gone' after countless matches and for 2 or 3 months. yet none of those were true.

Exactly. The play-offs can only be 'gone' when it is mathematically impossible. That was the case on August 8th 2009 and is still the case now.

Those are the facts, everything else is subjective statistical opinion.

Problem is, we've heard 'the playoffs are gone' after countless matches and for 2 or 3 months. yet none of those were true. the brighton game was the key for me, if we won that, I thought we'd make it. now, I think we'll get close, but we can't do it. 7th and 2 points of huddersfield IMO. Too many crappy draws away from home.

nearly ALLK season I have been banging on about the playoffs..and mostly been met with replies of "you are unrealistic" etc

I'm sat in mcdonalds on the a20 and 4 lads wearing immaculate, matching training gear have just started tucking into some grub. I think we'll be ok! I'll find out who they are later, one is totally bald with a huge nose, another is going grey and has tats on his arms.