Any news about a minute's silence today ?

alpine_saint

Apparently we are not having one, and it will be held on the 'All Saints day', whenever that is.

Hmmm. I've never been too sure about this concept. I am sure it is less disruptive to the club and stuff, but it tends to gloss over the significance of individual losses.

Hmmm. I've never been too sure about this concept. I am sure it is less disruptive to the club and stuff, but it tends to gloss over the significance of individual losses.

I think the "All Saints Day" thing is good in honouring fans and players of yesteryear but I would have thought that this is special circumstances and should be treated as such.

**Warning Controversial View** ;)

What is the point of giving anyone a minutes silence? What does it achieve? Especially someone you didn't know. Just a hollow gesture by the needlessly sentimental. Yes, I appreciate the work the fireman do in the city, but leave it to their family and friends to mourn.

**Warning Controversial View** ;)

What is the point of giving anyone a minutes silence? What does it achieve? Especially someone you didn't know. Just a hollow gesture by the needlessly sentimental. Yes, I appreciate the work the fireman do in the city, but leave it to their family and friends to mourn.

Respect?

I think the "All Saints Day" thing is good in honouring fans and players of yesteryear but I would have thought that this is special circumstances and should be treated as such.

I agree with you,this loss is 'above' just football,and it merits a minutes silence.

This is a community loss and the club are very mush part of it. So there should be a minutes silence. Waiting several months to do it would be a farce.

It will be very embarrasing if there is not a minutes silence today.

"mush" - freudian slip?

But agree with you.

Respect?

If you mourn everyone that dies with a minutes silence to give respect where do you draw the line? We'd end up having a minute's silence every week. As I said earlier, leave it to family and friends to mourn, not "force" a minutes upon 20,000 who didn't know the individuals. Just feels hollow otherwise. This is why the current system of remembrance of all on one day is the best idea.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Respect?

Incredible isn't it how some people just can't comprehend the significance of a minutes silence as a mark of honour and respect for another persons memory?

I thought the 'clapping' issue had reduced it to a base level,but the 'lets not bother at all' response is a sad indictment.

If you mourn everyone that dies with a minutes silence to give respect where do you draw the line? We'd end up having a minute's silence every week. As I said earlier, leave it to family and friends to mourn, not "force" a minutes upon 20,000 who didn't know the individuals. Just feels hollow otherwise. This is why the current system of All Hallows day remembrance is the best idea.

I think you need to stop playing Football Manager and get out more MLG. Taking 1 minute before a game just to mourn the death of somebody is a mark of respect, to say it's pointless is ridiculous.

If you mourn everyone that dies with a minutes silence to give respect where do you draw the line? We'd end up having a minute's silence every week. As I said earlier, leave it to family and friends to mourn, not "force" a minutes upon 20,000 who didn't know the individuals. Just feels hollow otherwise. This is why the current system of All Hallows day remembrance is the best idea.

It is not suggested that a tribute is paid to all and sundry,the All Saints Day is a 'catch all' for that perhaps,but there are events and people that deserve a mark of respect to be shown ie those who have contributed to the club significantly (Ted Bates,Alan Ball,etc) and tragedys (Bradford fire,Hillsborough,twin towers in 2001),and I think two local firemen fall into that category.

Large areas of Northam lost family in the Titanic disaster,do you think Southampton as a community should have said "nothing to do with me" and gloss over it if they did not personally know anyone in it?

I think you need to stop playing Football Manager and get out more MLG. Taking 1 minute before a game just to mourn the death of somebody is a mark of respect, to say it's pointless is ridiculous.

To mention FM is bizarre, petty and irrelevant.

You don't need a game of football to remember someone.

People go to a football match for football.

People go to remembrance services for remembrance.

If you want to remember these people there is ample opportunity to go to a service or pay private tribute in the city. There is no need to combine the two unless the person that died is significant to the club, everyone else can be given respect on the All Saints day.

To mention FM is bizarre, petty and irrelevant.

You don't need a game of football to remember someone.

People go to a football match for football.

People go to remembrance services for remembrance.

If you want to remember these people there is ample opportunity to go to a service or pay private tribute in the city. There is no need to combine the two unless the person that died is significant to the club, everyone else can be given respect on the All Saints day.

OR, we could have a mins silence at the club..?

OR, we could have a mins silence at the club..?

People choose to go to a remembrance service to remember people, that is its function. It is not the function of a football match to provide a grieving service to the thousands of people that die in the UK each year. There are outlets to remember these people IF you choose to do so, thus no need to "force" hollow remembrance upon 20,000 that are not there for that purpose every week at a sporting event. An annual remembrance at St Mary's is all that is needed.

People choose to go to a remembrance service to remember people, that is its function. It is not the function of a football match to provide a grieving service to the thousands of people that die in the UK each year. There are outlets to remember these people IF you choose to do so, thus no need to "force" hollow remembrance upon 20,000 that are not there for that purpose every week at a sporting event. An annual remembrance at St Mary's is all that is needed.

in your opinion

in your opinion

But then it is just your opinion that the opposite is needed. ;)

The same can be said of everything on an internet forum, just personal opinion. However I have outlined why I believe there is already rememberance services that provide the function that you are asking for without imposing it on a sporting event on a frequent basis. I'm not saying these men don't deserve respect, just that there are other events that provide that function and there is no need to overlap events that have the same function and impose themselves on people that are indifferent to the event. Millions die around the world and the UK every year but I'm sure you only truly care if the person is family or friend.

Edited by Matthew Le God

But then it is just your opinion that the opposite is needed. ;)

The same can be said of everything on an internet forum, just personal opinion. However I have outlined why I believe there is already rememberance services that provide the function that you are asking for without imposing it on a sporting event on a frequent basis. I'm not saying these men don't deserve respect, just that there are other events that provide that function and there is no need to overlap events that have the same function and impose themselves on people that are indifferent to the event. Millions die around the world and the UK every year but I'm sure you only truly care if the person is family or friend.

there was once upon a time when a club was regarded as part of a community...part of the fibre of the city..

I would like to think SFC is exactly that (still)..with the location of the ground and infact the name of the ground..even next year when we celebrate 125 years of the club with a "one off kit"..

the firemen that died are from St Marys station right..?

if so, isnt that yards away from the stadium that is home to the club that is not only part of the city and its make up...but more locally to the surrounding areas of St Marys..

now, I know many people die every year in southampton..but what is wrong in saying "thank you" for 1 whole muinute of our miserable lives to those who (i know they choose to) put their lives on the line for others...

now, I know many people die every year in southampton..but what is wrong in saying "thank you" for 1 whole muinute of our miserable lives to those who (i know they choose to) put their lives on the line for others...

I'm not saying we shouldn't pay tribute at the football. Just do it once a year on All Saints day.

If you really want to do it near to the event of their death then go to the remembrance service along with the friends and family of the dead.

A minutes silence doesn't actually achieve anything and is ultimately a pointless act that achieves nothing. You can't show respect to the dead, they are dead. What is gained from applauding someone that isn't alive? It is a futile act that is ultimately pointless. Yes, that may sound cold and heartless but that doesn't make something less true. If you want to show respect to Southampton's emergency services then do it to those still alive and actually make a difference. Donate to the lifeboat charity etc.

I'm not saying we shouldn't pay tribute at the football. Just do it once a year on All Saints day.

If you really want to do it near to the event then go to the remembrance service along with the friends and family of the dead.

A minutes silence doesn't actually achieve anything and is ultimately a pointless act that achieves nothing. You can't show respect to the dead, they are dead. What is gained from applauding someone that isn't alive. Yes that may sound cold and heartless but that doesn't make something less true. If you want to show respect to Southampton's emergency services then do it to those still alive and actually make a difference. Donate to the lifeboat charity etc.

to you maybe...to others clearly not..

you are clearly one of the most self rightous heartless bastards on here...

Of course there should be a minutes silence. I didn't know either of the guys, or anyone related to them, but I think there is no reason why there shouldn't be one. They lived and worked in the city, helping the citizens and people of Southampton, and though they may not have supported the club, it would still be a nice mark of respect.

there was once upon a time when a club was regarded as part of a community...part of the fibre of the city..

I would like to think SFC is exactly that (still)..with the location of the ground and infact the name of the ground..even next year when we celebrate 125 years of the club with a "one off kit"..

the firemen that died are from St Marys station right..?

if so, isnt that yards away from the stadium that is home to the club that is not only part of the city and its make up...but more locally to the surrounding areas of St Marys..

Don't agree with quite a few of the minute's silences etc. (e.g. cancelling games for 9/11).

Hardly ever agree with TDD.

But agree wholeheartedly with TDD on this one. These deaths occurred when people were doing their duty for the City. It happens very rarely. The Fire Brigade, the Club, the supporters are all part of the same community. I would have thought this was one occasion when a small, symbolic gesture would be entirely appropriate and appreciated by those more directly affected.

I would agree that the minutes silence is not really appropriate. Mainly for the reasons outlined above. Neither they, nor the incident, were connected with the club. It also dilutes the minutes silence if you keep having one every time someone dies.

That may sound callus, but think of it like this. Let's say there are 45,000 Saints fans, based losely on the JPT final. Let us also assume the average person lives to be 75 years old. Therefore this means 45,000 Saints fans will die every 75 years, roughly speaking. 75 years is 27,375 days therefore 2 Saints fans die every day.

Not a pleasant thought, but that is life for you. So, with all due respect... Why should we hold a minutes silence for 2 firemen who were killed, but not the 14 Saints fans who die every week?

Only if you think serving local football for close on 40 years is serving the local community. :rolleyes:

quite sad really..

people are just suggesting that two firemen from the station around the corner from the ground COULD get a mins silence as a gesture of thanks for putting their lives on the line for others..

and people come out with stuff like you did and stamp their feet

if YOU feel your dad could have a mins silence, why not start a thread about it..or ask the club..

if you feel he should not have one...does that in anyway have anything to do with this thread..

personally, im not bothered either way..but to suggest they should NOT because others have not is a bit daft

quite sad really..

people are just suggesting that two firemen from the station around the corner from the ground COULD get a mins silence as a gesture of thanks for putting their lives on the line for others..

and people come out with stuff like you did and stamp their feet

if YOU feel your dad could have a mins silence, why not start a thread about it..or ask the club..

if you feel he should not have one...does that in anyway have anything to do with this thread..

No NO and no but you seem to feel or I get the impression that you so,me how feel ashamed because there was not a minutes silence - where does that stop eh? Stop using everything you possibly can to beat the club. They can't do everything right oveytime.

No NO and no but you seem to feel or I get the impression that you so,me how feel ashamed because there was not a minutes silence - where does that stop eh? Stop using everything you possibly can to beat the club. They can't do everything right oveytime.

where have I used anything to beat the club

seriously, do you have a default view when responding to me

I have not even mentioned the club at all.. I have even said that I am not bothered either way...but can see why SOME WOULD want to pay their respects...all my respsonses have pretty much been to people like you who say NO because others have not..where have I mentioned the club...

where on earth have I "used everything to beat the club"

please...tell me