Be honest now.

Pilchards

Some people are getting excited by the signing of Inigo and yet i've not heard of him.

I will go on to tell you that I had not heard of Fonte, Harding, Hammond, Puncheon, Antonio and finally Lambert before they signed for us.

My point is before we start telling everyone that we have so and so playing for us and that we will win the league, they will look at you and say WHO just like I did...!

It's amazing really how we have fallen in love with football outside the premiership and we thought it would be all doom and gloom.

ROLL ON another season as we tell everyone how amazing we are and yet our friends that support the big boys will look at you like a lost lemon :-)

PS What has Pardew done for Saints that no other manager in the lower leagues could not do with the money he had to spend?

In saying that I hope he stays because he has built a good squad of players that I've not heard of before until now.

I love League One, i'm actually glad we're here for another season because the matches are much more fun than Prem ones where you pay £30 for a ticket to watch some overpaid, foreign primadonnas falling over themselves and screaming at the referee. Much more fun to witness the 'bare knuckle boxing' style of the Paul Wotton types making crunching tackles and thumping headers (even though Wotton does neither of those things!). As for Inigo, i'm very happy he's signing for us. I feel that with him at RB we're pretty much sorted for a title-winning team for next season, and i'm certainly looking forward to seeing the lads lift the trophy at SMS (as well as the FA Cup, League Cup and JPT!). Roll on next season with Lambert whacking in the goals, Fonte making defending look as easy as breathing and Pardew at the helm orchestrating it all.

COYR!

Some people are getting excited by the signing of Inigo and yet i've not heard of him.

I will go on to tell you that I had not heard of Fonte, Harding, Hammond, Puncheon, Antonio and finally Lambert before they signed for us.

My point is before we start telling everyone that we have so and so playing for us and that we will win the league, they will look at you and say WHO just like I did...!

It's amazing really how we have fallen in love with football outside the premiership and we thought it would be all doom and gloom.

ROLL ON another season as we tell everyone how amazing we are and yet our friends that support the big boys will look at you like a lost lemon :-)

PS What has Pardew done for Saints that no other manager in the lower leagues could not do with the money he had to spend?

In saying that I hope he stays because he has built a good squad of players that I've not heard of before until now.

I think that's a little unfair on Pardew, the leagues are littered with managers that have failed with money to spend!

People keep saying this, yet unless we have a time machine to go back and try it a few times with different managers how will we ever know? I wonder how Wotte would have done this season if he'd stayed?

I love League One, i'm actually glad we're here for another season because the matches are much more fun than Prem ones where you pay £30 for a ticket to watch some overpaid, foreign primadonnas falling over themselves and screaming at the referee. Much more fun to witness the 'bare knuckle boxing' style of the Paul Wotton types making crunching tackles and thumping headers (even though Wotton does neither of those things!). As for Inigo, i'm very happy he's signing for us. I feel that with him at RB we're pretty much sorted for a title-winning team for next season, and i'm certainly looking forward to seeing the lads lift the trophy at SMS (as well as the FA Cup, League Cup and JPT!). Roll on next season with Lambert whacking in the goals, Fonte making defending look as easy as breathing and Pardew at the helm orchestrating it all.

COYR!

Agree with this. I've enjoyed this season more than any other in the last 20 years. I've enjoyed being a big club, I've enjoyed seeing us scoring five goals in a game, I've enjoyed nicking the best players from other teams, winning a trophy and going to Wembley, and I've enjoyed decent prices.

I like Div 1, the other teams and mostly other down to earth supporters. 90% of supporters in the premier league experience more disappointment during the season than we have in div one and they pay more for it.

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say with that post, other than your knowledge of English football is farking terrible.

I'd say it was pretty standard for a fan of a side playing their first season in a League lower. I'd never heard of any of them in August, and had only heard of Puncheon by the time we signed him.

This coming from someone who could tell you the squad number of any player in the Premier League in 2003...

The main point stands though, we probably won't know much about the half-decent Championship players we sign next season - might get a few League One players who've played well against us though.

So we can rule out Lewington of MK Dons! :D

I became aware of a chap called Jason Puncheon when he was playing for Barnet - Soccer Saturday I'm sure used to big him up whenever he scored (which was fairly frequently IIRC).

Harding also was highly-rated and I'm sure was linked to Saints previously.

Given us the hope of consistent management, the key to success in football.

I hope he stays so we can build on his knowledge of - his - team. If not, we risk a new man (undoubtedly of quality) who has to start over. If the new man fails to gain automatic promotion (something Pards has an odds on chance of achieving) then what? Sack him too? Then his successor?

FFS we need consistency, I hope Cortese is reading this.

Better the devil you know and even better the playing devils Pardew knows would be my strategy for next season. No need to change anything - we're on the way up as champions as we stand.

Agree with this. I've enjoyed this season more than any other in the last 20 years. I've enjoyed being a big club, I've enjoyed seeing us scoring five goals in a game, I've enjoyed nicking the best players from other teams, winning a trophy and going to Wembley, and I've enjoyed decent prices.

I like Div 1, the other teams and mostly other down to earth supporters. 90% of supporters in the premier league experience more disappointment during the season than we have in div one and they pay more for it.

Rubbish .

A draw against Liverpool or Aston Villa is an infinitely better result than a victory against Southend or Yeovil . Those who are satisfied with yet more 3rd Division mediocrity not only display a chronic lack of ambition , but also ignore the history of this great club .

This club should be playing its football in the top divisions of English football - anything else is failure .

Rubbish .

A draw against Liverpool or Aston Villa is an infinitely better result than a victory against Southend or Yeovil . Those who are satisfied with yet more 3rd Division mediocrity not only display a chronic lack of ambition , but also ignore the history of this great club .

This club should be playing its football in the top divisions of English football - anything else is failure .

That's why football is such a great game. We all have our opinions and there are a million of them. I despise the Premier League. The lack of loyalty, the price of tickets, the general GREED. Of course I hope Saints do get there in the not too distant future...but I also hope the financial crisis pulls down a few of the big clubs before then and that we can get to the point where ANY team can finish in a European place and the majority might even have a chance of winning the league. Ok...I'm stuck in a 70's timewarp, but I don't care! lol

Had heard of some of these:

Lambert= some fat scouser whose jammy deflected free-kick knocked us out of the Fa Cup - once a lower league journey-man, always a lower league journey man - 30 a season in a league above L1, you're having a laugh.

Fonte = (along with Speroni), the Sarf London gypsy king(s) - always a good, cheap target for abuse and slander when we were flying high in the lower reaches of the championship...

Puncheon = lazy showboater, fancy dan with no end product whose skillz, along with some ******-poor R&B/rap track would be invariably used to pad the lower league highlights on Soccer AM.

Harding = part of the Leeds factory system that churns out dirty, niggly fullbacks until i found he was bum chums with Hammond at Brighton.

Of course, all now walk on water and are the best thing since sliced bread...:smt038

I'm with you on this. I buy a programme every match and cast my eye down to see if I recognise any of the opposition names and there are very few (mainly ex/ageing Premiership players). Nevertheless I have been very impressed with the players Pardew has brought in so he seems to know what he is doing! I guess we'll be more familar with another season in L1. Roll on next season, champions in waiting!

Rubbish .

It's the paradox of supporting a mid-size club like Saints.

This season has, for me in terms of attending matches, been more enjoyable than most others in recent memory. Being a big fish in admittedly a small pond brings its own benefits and, after 27 years of being the underdog in a higher league, its nice to be the team to be feared for a change.

That said, it's also a natural ambition to want to leave all this behind and sit alongside the big boys again in the top division, where we'll be fantastically happy with avoiding defeat in certain games and 0-0 scorelines against the top sides will be considered a great result.

Football for me is a little bit more than just looking at the league table. It's about the enjoyment of going to matches and the atmosphere inside the ground, which this year has been enormously improved from previous seasons. Ultimately I of course want to see us playing at the highest level, but that's not to detract at all from what has been a thoroughly entertaining campaign.

It's the paradox of supporting a mid-size club like Saints.

This season has, for me in terms of attending matches, been more enjoyable than most others in recent memory. Being a big fish in admittedly a small pond brings its own benefits and, after 27 years of being the underdog in a higher league, its nice to be the team to be feared for a change.

That said, it's also a natural ambition to want to leave all this behind and sit alongside the big boys again in the top division, where we'll be fantastically happy with avoiding defeat in certain games and 0-0 scorelines against the top sides will be considered a great result.

Football for me is a little bit more than just looking at the league table. It's about the enjoyment of going to matches and the atmosphere inside the ground, which this year has been enormously improved from previous seasons. Ultimately I of course want to see us playing at the highest level, but that's not to detract at all from what has been a thoroughly entertaining campaign.

Great post - completely agree.

The addition of Inigo C may be an inspired choice by the scouts - let's face it they will be tracking the guy in games we will not have seen and reporting back that he's got potential to improve the squad. I have no doubt that he will make a difference, however I've felt that Semi could develop into a good player like Harding has (let's face it, DH faced some flak on here when he first joined).