Ian murray letter!

Avenue Saint

Originally Posted by charliegeorgesflymo View Post

Just emailed the Echo - advising them I would no longer be buying the paper and have urged my family to do similar - got this reply.

Many thanks for your email and comments regarding the Daily Echo and its Saints coverage.

Obviously we do not feel happy when some Saints fans become upset over our coverage.

However, it is difficult to see how we could have reported these matters in any different manner.

The facts are that the speculation regarding the future of Alan Pardew was started by Radio Solent quoting a source at the club close to the owner. The club and Radio Solent, as you no doubt know, have a financial arrangement so we can take what they say as an official view.

This speculation was taken up by national newspapers and elicited a strong response from such Saints legends as Matt le Tissier, Kevin Keegan and so on.

The Daily Echo sought clarification from the club day after day. We wished to put the rumours to bed and move on with positive news. A simple vote of confidence from the chairman would have quelled the rumours - this was not given. Yesterday, as you know, the chairman issued a statement on the matter and attacked us as well as others. The only media he did not attack was Radio Solent who began the rumours and speculation in the first place.

Now, some might say we could have, should have kept quiet and not reported on the whole matter, but that would be extremely unfair. Why should the Daily Echo, alone of all media, have to keep quiet on such an important issue to the fans? Why should Radio Solent, paid for by your licence fee, be allowed to start rumours and then escape any blame? Why indeed...

I believe we acted responsibly throughout and gave every opportunity for the club to put the record straight on rumour and speculation we did not start.

Some are telling us that the chairman only backed down over sacking his manager because of the publicity given to Pardew's cause and the support he received from sports legends, the media and of course the vast vast majority of the fans. I cannot speculate on that of course.

I hope that sets out a little clearer what has taken place.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact me.

Lol.

So are radio Solent paid for by the club "have a financial arrangement so we can take what they say as an official view"?

Or are they paid for by the licence fee "Why should Radio Solent, paid for by your licence fee"?

Seems to me Mr Murray throws out 'FACTS' as and when he needs them to suit his agenda....

It's utter nonsense to say that Solent started this with the "Liebherr isn't happy" comments.

And because Solent have a commercial tie-up with the club with repsect to online radio commentary it means that every word they utter is indubitably worth repeating ad nauseum?

The first recent press articles predated that and were rehashes of the ones that appeared around the time of the interviews earlier in the season.

TBH he has a point. Are they just meant to not write about rumours appearing in national papers which may be of interest?

They can write about whatever boIIocks they like!

They should also accept that their readers / customers will desert them when they find out that what they've printed is complete and utter nonsense...

It's utter nonsense to say that Solent started this with the "Liebherr isn't happy" comments.

And because Solent have a commercial tie-up with the club with repsect to online radio commentary it means that every word they utter is indubitably worth repeating ad nauseum?

The first recent press articles predated that and were rehashes of the ones that appeared around the time of the interviews earlier in the season.

Exactly! It's like saying "We heard a rumour from the SMS caterers and believed it because they have a financial arrangement with Southampton football club"!!!

Complete BS

They can write about whatever boIIocks they like!

They should also accept that their readers / customers will desert them when they find out that what they've printed is complete and utter nonsense...

But they wrote about the rumours which appeared elsewhere. What they wrote about the speculation was entirely accurate...

Solent said ML was unhappy. They did not say why.

So how did The Echo get from that toML is unhappy at our results, NC is ****ed off, see's it as a bad season and thus will sack Pardew on tues and potentially bring in Cotterill. Make legends of this club believe what they are saying so they comment on it etc etc.

I'm sorry but the way i see it they won't take an ounce of responsibility for their mistakes always passing it off onto other sources.

So how did The Echo get from that toML is unhappy at our results, NC is ****ed off, see's it as a bad season and thus will sack Pardew on tues and potentially bring in Cotterill. Make legends of this club believe what they are saying so they comment on it etc etc.

I'm sorry but the way i see it they won't take an ounce of responsibility for their mistakes always passing it off onto other sources.

the solent actually said that ML was not at the game as he was unhappy with the progress this season

slate the echo for bloating this story..but it originated from a person who was commenting on the game who claimed he had just spoken to someone close to markus..

if this was all bullsheet..then I fully expect said person to not be commentating on saints games next season

He could of been unhappy, that he couldn't make the last game due to his flight being grounded. He could of been unhappy on finding out that the cheats down the road owe us £35 grand, he could of seen his rose garden blighted by greenfly. Who knows the reason, but I'd bet my last dollar, given his show of affection at Wembley, that he wasn't unhappy with Alan Pardew. He may, like thousands of fans, been sad the we fell at the last hurdle, but like most sane fans, I'd Say that he didn't expect the success we actually had this season. All this is opinion, my opinion.

Murray can dress it up anyway he likes! The Echo are hacked off about the way they have been treated even though it was them who broke the Staplewood embargo! Even forgetting the Pardew coverage, they have been having a pop at Cortese ever since. Just came across like sourgrapes and point scoring on their behalf! Would much prefer and will always get my info from people who matter on here!!!

Why shouldn't the echo comment on such things? Some of you lot really are mongs getting all uppity and defending NC in the way you are. Its a free ****ing world FFS. There are plenty of people who's only source of Saints news is the ****ing echo (people who don't use the net), why shouldn't they comment on that sort of speculation. Some of you need to wake up!

Murray can dress it up anyway he likes! The Echo are hacked off about the way they have been treated even though it was them who broke the Staplewood embargo! Even forgetting the Pardew coverage, they have been having a pop at Cortese ever since. Just came across like sourgrapes and point scoring on their behalf! Would much prefer and will always get my info from people who matter on here!!!

Cheers thorpie, I will keep the info coming :finga:

Lol.

So are radio Solent paid for by the club "have a financial arrangement so we can take what they say as an official view"?

Or are they paid for by the licence fee "Why should Radio Solent, paid for by your licence fee"?

Seems to me Mr Murray throws out 'FACTS' as and when he needs them to suit his agenda....

Wasn't 'Mister' Murray a Skate fan at one stage?

If so that lends a certain weight to all the muck raking, in my humble opinion.

Why is this b*ll*cks still rumbling on ?

The "In AP Trust" brigade got what they wanted

'Those of us a little more equivocal in our support are also happy because NC has a firm grip on the reins and is fully focused on delivering promotion.

The only people not happy are Stadler and Waldorf in Row ZZ of the Chapel, FFS.

Are you all so bored now the season is over ?

Why shouldn't the echo comment on such things? Some of you lot really are mongs getting all uppity and defending NC in the way you are. Its a free ****ing world FFS. There are plenty of people who's only source of Saints news is the ****ing echo (people who don't use the net), why shouldn't they comment on that sort of speculation. Some of you need to wake up!

Errr, not so many years ago journalists were paid to do JOURNALISM (get it? the clue is in the name). So what the echo do is just regurgitate any old rumour they get sitting at their desks, googling stuff. Any old press statement is just fodder for their pathetic copy. Truth? Accuracy? fact? Fark that lot, just hype up some rumour some bloke down the pub said his mate read on some web site, job done, easy money. The more outrageous the better. Some celev names: great! some smutty sex; fantastic!

But actual jornalism? You mist be joking!

I think EastleighSoul Boy is a reliable source. I think The SKATE should be sacked as Saints' main football rag leader. He obviously has an agenda! Being a SKATES fan does not lend itself to an impartial view of things. I think we need a statement from this SKATE editor, dod he ever go to one of their games? If he did, he should be sacked!

Seriously, this makes total sense, SKATES in Cup final, let's bash the scum before we sink without a trace. SKATES should be banned from the echo, or at least they should print their name in blue so we know they are biased in their views and want only to destroy our club.

SACK SKATE MURRAY!

Why is this b*ll*cks still rumbling on ?

The "In AP Trust" brigade got what they wanted

'Those of us a little more equivocal in our support are also happy because NC has a firm grip on the reins and is fully focused on delivering promotion.

The only people not happy are Stadler and Waldorf in Row ZZ of the Chapel, FFS.

Are you all so bored now the season is over ?

Agree with your sentiments Alps but who are the "In AP Trust brigade" you speak of? Is it just another divisive name? As per Happy Clappers etc etc etc?

Of course you can't expect the echo to just ignore the speculation...

The thing is that the echo didn't just take the reports appearing elsewhere and comment on them. They took them and bloody ran and ran and ran with them!

They didn't just report that they had heard rumours, they reported this stuff as though it were fact!

That was their mistake IMO.

Originally Posted by charliegeorgesflymo View Post

Just emailed the Echo - advising them I would no longer be buying the paper and have urged my family to do similar - got this reply.

Many thanks for your email and comments regarding the Daily Echo and its Saints coverage.

Obviously we do not feel happy when some Saints fans become upset over our coverage.

However, it is difficult to see how we could have reported these matters in any different manner.

The facts are that the speculation regarding the future of Alan Pardew was started by Radio Solent quoting a source at the club close to the owner. The club and Radio Solent, as you no doubt know, have a financial arrangement so we can take what they say as an official view.

This speculation was taken up by national newspapers and elicited a strong response from such Saints legends as Matt le Tissier, Kevin Keegan and so on.

The Daily Echo sought clarification from the club day after day. We wished to put the rumours to bed and move on with positive news. A simple vote of confidence from the chairman would have quelled the rumours - this was not given. Yesterday, as you know, the chairman issued a statement on the matter and attacked us as well as others. The only media he did not attack was Radio Solent who began the rumours and speculation in the first place.

Now, some might say we could have, should have kept quiet and not reported on the whole matter, but that would be extremely unfair. Why should the Daily Echo, alone of all media, have to keep quiet on such an important issue to the fans? Why should Radio Solent, paid for by your licence fee, be allowed to start rumours and then escape any blame? Why indeed...

I believe we acted responsibly throughout and gave every opportunity for the club to put the record straight on rumour and speculation we did not start.

Some are telling us that the chairman only backed down over sacking his manager because of the publicity given to Pardew's cause and the support he received from sports legends, the media and of course the vast vast majority of the fans. I cannot speculate on that of course.

I hope that sets out a little clearer what has taken place.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact me.

oooh fame at last

suggest you all write to him just to make his Monday!

I think EastleighSoul Boy is a reliable source. I think The SKATE should be sacked as Saints' main football rag leader. He obviously has an agenda! Being a SKATES fan does not lend itself to an impartial view of things. I think we need a statement from this SKATE editor, dod he ever go to one of their games? If he did, he should be sacked!

Seriously, this makes total sense, SKATES in Cup final, let's bash the scum before we sink without a trace. SKATES should be banned from the echo, or at least they should print their name in blue so we know they are biased in their views and want only to destroy our club.

SACK SKATE MURRAY!

Not sure if Murray was one of those that came from the p*rtsMYTH News a few years back when there was a shake up at the Echo offices but several others did.

One was Simon King who became Sports Editor who had a knack of negative reporting on all things Saints whilst bigging up the skates. I remember he took a lot of stick in the letters pages but he just defended it by saying he was a Notts County fan but it was plain to all he was true-blue-few.

Another was Simon Walters, the pr*ck who gave TCWTB a near full-page glowing article in the Echo for the England v Macedonia game at SMS, a sure fire way to rile Saints fans. It worked, shame the **** got full Police protection at that game…

I believe others worked in the offices.

Sh*t rag.

Obviously, as a local paper, the Echo couldn't ignore speculation in the national press about the local football club. What I would have expected is that the local paper would check whether or not it was true rather than run repeated stories and get people who also didn't know the true situation to comment.

Murray says that the club refused to comment. Well, firstly, why should the club comment? Does NC have to respond to every rumour? And, secondly, perhaps Murray should be reflecting on why the relationship with SFC is so poor that the club won't speak to the local paper.

And somebody said that perhaps the Radio Solent commentator won't be commentating on Saints games next season because of his remarks. I hope that's true. Not because of his remarks but because he's not a very good commentator. And Dave Merrington has got beyond parody "What they don't want to do now is concede a goal". Dave, thanks for all you did for the club, but please stop now.

TBH he has a point. Are they just meant to not write about rumours appearing in national papers which may be of interest?

They are supposed to report on facts as known.... NOT to invent their own Storyline and print it as being true

Just because Cortese did not speak to them is NO EXCUSE in invented maliscious GOSSIP, just to attract a few more "readers":cool::D

They are supposed to report on facts as known.... NOT to invent their own Storyline and print it as being true

Just because Cortese did not speak to them is NO EXCUSE in invented maliscious GOSSIP, just to attract a few more "readers":cool::D

Do you have a link to the offending article? Because I think I may have been reading the wrong one.

Obviously, as a local paper, the Echo couldn't ignore speculation in the national press about the local football club. What I would have expected is that the local paper would check whether or not it was true rather than run repeated stories and get people who also didn't know the true situation to comment.

Murray says that the club refused to comment. Well, firstly, why should the club comment? Does NC have to respond to every rumour? And, secondly, perhaps Murray should be reflecting on why the relationship with SFC is so poor that the club won't speak to the local paper.

And somebody said that perhaps the Radio Solent commentator won't be commentating on Saints games next season because of his remarks. I hope that's true. Not because of his remarks but because he's not a very good commentator. And Dave Merrington has got beyond parody "What they don't want to do now is concede a goal". Dave, thanks for all you did for the club, but please stop now.

I think it is time to move on from all this, and just see how next season unfurls. However, can't you see the absurd contradiction in what you've written?

I think the daily echo gets a very harsh rap. Imo it provides solid, in-depth saints coverage (the more the better in my view) and has got on the wrong side of 'mr paranoia' cortese for reasons not of their own making.

Time for a lot of people to get off the bandwagon and think about how the echo has been unfairly treated, and then stigmatised, this season