Team for CCC play offs

NickG

Pardew has said that he wants to assemble a team, this close season, good enough to not only win this league, but be good enough for play off in CCC the season after.

This was our play off team:

Bart

Jesus

Baird

Pele

Bale

Surman

Guthrie

Viafara

Belmadi

Jones

Saga

(2nd leg Southampton: Davis, Makin (Belmadi 71), Baird, Cranie, Skacel, Viafara, Pele, Guthrie (Idiakez 83), Surman, Best, Saganowski (Rasiak 74).

Subs Not Used: Bialkowski, Wright-Phillips)

don't think we are far off in a few positions, think we should be able to match most of that defence and midfield

It really wasn't, we lacked a dominating centre back to partner Baird and we lacked a midfielder who could take games by the scruff of the neck against the real top teams in the league.

Jones and Bale apart it was fairy average, those two dragged us through so many games.

The number of changes in the sides between the two legs sums up Burleys reign of indecision.

Just illustrates what a poor job the blithering idiot did considering 6 of the players in the starting line up for the first leg have since been signed by clubs playing in the PL. We only got to the play offs in the first place due to other results going for us in the last couple of weeks.

Pardew would have taken us up that season with that squad IMO

The number of changes in the sides between the two legs sums up Burleys reign of indecision.

To be fair jone and Bale both got injured in the first leg and couldn't play. Pele got shown up by the might Steve Howard and cost us both goals so played in midfield and Davis should never have been dropped for Bart in the first place. But yes, Burley never did seem to know what his best team was.

To be fair jone and Bale both got injured in the first leg and couldn't play. Pele got shown up by the might Steve Howard and cost us both goals so played in midfield and Davis should never have been dropped for Bart in the first place. But yes, Burley never did seem to know what his best team was.

Didn't KD get injured in the warm up?

I may be wrong.

I remember Bart being kept on the bench almost all season, even for the early rounds of the league and FA cups. He only played when KD got suspended or injured.

Another point is that Jermaine Wright must have been out with a long term injury at that point of that season :wink:

Didn't KD get injured in the warm up?

I may be wrong.

I remember Bart being kept on the bench almost all season, even for the early rounds of the league and FA cups. He only played when KD got suspended or injured.

Another point is that Jermaine Wright must have been out with a long term injury at that point of that season :wink:

Southampton: Bialkowski, Ostlund, Baird, Pele, Bale (Skacel 56), Belmadi, Viafara, Guthrie, Surman, Jones (Best 55), Saganowski (Rasiak 87).

Subs Not Used: Davis, Cranie.

Booked: Pele, Surman.

Davis was on the bench, he may have been injured, but i thought he was recalled for the second leg after being dropped for the first. anyone know? Remember Saganoski hitting the bar from about 5 yards out when easier to score in the first leg?

Oh to have Jones, Bale and Guthrie in this current squad. We would be unstoppable!

True. The rest above were pretty good on their day, but too often they were off the boil, and even Kelvin was fallible that year.

KD was suspended for a few games prior to that 6-0 thrashing of Wolves, in that game Bart saved a penalty and made a few great saves and thus kept his place until the end of the season. Bart had a dodgy game in the first leg of the playoffs and was replaced for the second by Davis.

I was just thinking the same.

+3.

A settled team like the ones Pardew puts out would have been much preferred. And it isn't as if Burley didn't have enough time to figure out his best team, or to address the defensive shortcomings.

But ultimately, looking back on it all, what a shame that Best played in that second leg, instead of a better striker.

I think we should all take a minute to remember and reflect on Viafara's master class at Pride Park that day. Not to mention his grammatically incorrect vest.

thank you for bringing the wonderful memory back to me. Not sure I've celebrated as much ever as I did when he scored the second.

Pardew has said that he wants to assemble a team, this close season, good enough to not only win this league, but be good enough for play off in CCC the season after.

This was our play off team:

Bart

Jesus

Baird

Pele

Bale

Surman

Guthrie

Viafara

Belmadi

Jones

Saga

(2nd leg Southampton: Davis, Makin (Belmadi 71), Baird, Cranie, Skacel, Viafara, Pele, Guthrie (Idiakez 83), Surman, Best, Saganowski (Rasiak 74).

Subs Not Used: Bialkowski, Wright-Phillips)

don't think we are far off in a few positions, think we should be able to match most of that defence and midfield

right back really has been a prpblem over the years hasn't it? I've never been a big Dodd fan, but taking him out for the equation when's the last tiem we had a decent right back at the club?

KD or Bart

any half decent RB or Jesus

Fonte or Pele

Jaidi or Baird

Harding or Bale

Lallana or Surman

Schneiderlin or Guthrie

Hammond or Viafara

Puncheon or Belmadi

Lambert or Jones

Barnard or Saga

right back really has been a prpblem over the years hasn't it? I've never been a big Dodd fan, but taking him out for the equation when's the last tiem we had a decent right back at the club?

Jeff Kenna?

Phil Ifil looked pretty decent in the half season he spent here. Never Prem standard, but useful in the CCC.

Just done a quick Google, apparently he is out of contract along with Prutts at Colchester. Another good HCDAJFU but I think he left last time because he didn't want to be too far from his family in North London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/colchester_united/8690090.stm

BTW, if we're going to pick and chose players from the playoff squad and this one, I'd take:

Davis

Baird - Fonte - Jaidi - Bale

Lallana - Pele - Morgan - Skacel

Lambert - Jones

Pardew will get us better players than that dross.

Jones, Bale and Guthrie were by no means dross! I would love to have any of those three in the team now or when we get promoted, they would all walk into the side.