Reply from David Luker re installment plan

Huffton

Had a reply from Mr Luker. Reason given is that the administrative costs are too high. Sounds like a cop out excuse to me, I just hope the administrative savings outweigh the lost revenue from those that now can't/won't renew.

Dear Jason

The Supporter Charter relates to the 09-10 season, whereas the prices released relate to the 10-11 season.

The Club has decided against offering an installment payment option this year due to the increased costs of administering such a scheme.

We hope this answers your query.

Kind Regards

David Luker

Head of Supporter Services

Southampton Football Club

Could we not offer it but pass the additional cost on, eg. pay a % fee for it??

This would of course be the sensible option. I'm sure most people would be happy to pay 10% over six months or 15% over twelve.

To not offer it is quite strange really.

At least no one will have an excuse for not being prepared to pay in one go for 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14.

The transition had to take place at some point. :)

Some Saints fans need some personal finance lessons. ;)

I think you are being slightly over the top in your response if the club had told fans there was not going to be any installment plans then they could have planned accordingly.

A very poor decision by the club.

Dont think people would be very happy in Southampton Council said all Council Tax had to be paid in one installment instead of the usual ten

It would have made sense to keep the installment option with an extra % charge. It seems crazy to me. I don't have a bad credit history and will have to get a credit card in order to pay but I'd much rather it be done via the club than a credit card. Thats just my opinion and I am sure many others feel the same. Bad choice. The family enlosure price of £277 is very reasonable though.

DD maybe they don't want to have to take out another credit agreement just to watch the football.

Yes and it's quite an obvious answer. I'm not sure why he keeps repeating himself

Every other club in league 1 has a payment plan, I don't see why saints couldn't have charged 5 or 10% extra for the privilege

Yep. Everyone else has one, why dont we?

I think you are being slightly over the top in your response if the club had told fans there was not going to be any installment plans then they could have planned accordingly.

A very poor decision by the club.

Dont think people would be very happy in Southampton Council said all Council Tax had to be paid in one installment instead of the usual ten

Well said - MLG stick to FM will you.

DD maybe they don't want to have to take out another credit agreement just to watch the football.

Every other club in league 1 has a payment plan, I don't see why saints couldn't have charged 5 or 10% extra for the privilege

ummm this may be me just being blonde but if you were to get a season ticket on the installment plan wouldnt you be doing just that??

you think that getting ST on installments is not credit then..?

why dont people pay 0% extra and get a new credit card..lower the limit to the ST amount and pay it off over 6 months

not hard what so ever..

seriously, I really think some actually want the club to wipe their arses for them after taking a dump

why cant people get an intrest free credit card

seriously..?

I already have like two grand on a credit card from when I started my own business, if there's a direct debit taking the money straight from my account that's a lot better than more money on a credit card that I'll just keep putting off and paying the minimum ammount each month.

It's not like my suggestion would hard the club in anyway, I think the club must have had a few people cancelling direct debits and running into arrears. There's no other viable reason to not offering payment installments.

At the end of the day we're customers and we aren't being looked after. If I went into Vauxhall to buy a new car and they didn't offer me a finance deal I'd walk down to road and buy a Ford. Obviously it's different with Football which is a shame as customers really don't have much swing because they know we will keep coming back no matter what (within reason).

Edited by Andy_Porter

So called 'admin costs' that the majority of other clubs can afford !

Basically they are cost cutting and cortese fails to see that for such a small saving its a massive kick in the bollards to fans.

I can't see why the club has stopped the installment plan. I have never used it but it must be down to people abusing it in the past.

I can't see why the club has stopped the installment plan. I have never used it but it must be down to people abusing it in the past.

That's the only reason I can think of as well.

I also don't understand why it took them so long to get ST prices announced. If they where desperate to get money into the club asap they could have just put them on sale after the Southend game and they would have had a fairly large chunk of money in already.

would be interesting to know how many "free games" people have gotten over the last few years due to them defulating on payments/stopping direct debit etc..

this has to be the reason behind this

Agreed.

It's a shame the club has had to come to this decision as I think the majority of people will probably just think it's the club being lazy when in reality it's just the people abusing the system.

No I dont think it is

Do you pay your Council Tax in installments or up front?

SFC are just getting money in early

big difference is that you have to pay your council tax. Also, if we started charge xxx% interest it then becomes a credit agreement, doesnt it?

Nothing about being abused as stated by david Luker. More to do with saving admin costs. I bet we are the only club in the league not to have some sort of PP scheme.

I also don't understand why it took them so long to get ST prices announced. If they where desperate to get money into the club asap they could have just put them on sale after the Southend game and they would have had a fairly large chunk of money in already.

I dont think there has been a need to rush money in. The interest gained is minimal at present so no need to in that respect

The last time I checked SFC was a football club, not a Bank.

If it was cost effective to offer the installment plan, they would. If you're happy to pay 10-15% just take out a 6 month bank loan or as DD says, a 0% Credit Card.

No drama really, and most will renew on these terms.

maybe they were trying to find a payment plan provider at reasonable rates, on the other hand it could well be that the parent company ML5 million384.6... or whatever it is has a financial year ending 31st May and today we started a new one.

i asked Dave Luker if they were sending out renewal forms as in previous years' date=' he said no not enough time ?[/quote']

Crazy. What about people who don't have the internet? Why is there not enough time, why didn't they release all this info ages ago? The club's communications are terrible at the minute.

Why not just charge people a bit extra who want to pay in installments?

Like you do when you renew your car insurance with Directline etc.

Muppets. Thought the new regime was an improvement, am now not convinced they are much of an improvement on Lowe et al with regards to fan relationships, PR etc.

As Roger Daltrey put it all those years ago:

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", followed by Pete Townsend's unbelievable axe-wielding.

Muppets. Thought the new regime was an improvement, am now not convinced they are much of an improvement on Lowe et al with regards to fan relationships, PR etc.

As Roger Daltrey put it all those years ago:

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", followed by Pete Townsend's unbelievable axe-wielding.

slightly OTT imo

Jesus guys. It's not like they've asked you each to line up a loved one to be a human sacrifice at the ticket office before you can claim your ST. There are plenty of avenues available for getting personal credit to buy a season ticket, or alternatively just pay on the day. If the number of ST holders drops significantly then maybe it would be reassessed for next year. As it is, this is the way it's going to be for 2010/11. You can either arrange your own credit or suck up the one off payment.

Personally, I'm just happy that prices haven't shot through the roof.

i asked Dave Luker if they were sending out renewal forms as in previous years' date=' he said no not enough time ?[/quote']

It's like they have got to June and suddenly some idiot woke up and realised they need to sell season tickets for next year!

****ing idiots.

This really is a bit of a PR flop....and I would bet it is down to Luker or someone else, rather than NC directly. I suspect figures were discussed and agreed and then DL (or a.n.other) were tasked with the public announcement and delivery of ST sales etc.

I would expect an overhaul of the "Supporter Services Department" any time soon......

Jesus guys. It's not like they've asked you each to line up a loved one to be a human sacrifice at the ticket office before you can claim your ST. There are plenty of avenues available for getting personal credit to buy a season ticket, or alternatively just pay on the day. If the number of ST holders drops significantly then maybe it would be reassessed for next year. As it is, this is the way it's going to be for 2010/11. You can either arrange your own credit or suck up the one off payment.

Personally, I'm just happy that prices haven't shot through the roof.

Over-reaction Ponty.

The point is that the club has not communicated it's intention (as it promised in the charter) to do away with the installment scheme (which it lauded in the charter) until the very same day that STs go on sale.

Yes, lots of people will move heaven and earth to secure their ST (myself included) but there are many who won't be able to.

As far as price hikes go.........

My ST has increased by over 12%.

The current rate of inflation is around 5%?

Therefore my ST has increased by more than DOUBLE the rate of inflation.

Over-reaction Ponty.

The point is that the club has not communicated it's intention (as it promised in the charter) to do away with the installment scheme (which it lauded in the charter) until the very same day that STs go on sale.

Yes, lots of people will move heaven and earth to secure their ST (myself included) but there are many who won't be able to.

did you have a ST last season and how did it compare in % terms etc..?

Over-reaction Ponty.

Probably because we have bought two one Million £ + players and apparently need at least one more.Non success in League 1 this season obviously hasn't come cheaply, still we won the JPT ;)

Over-reaction Ponty.

Inflation is currently about 3.7% which I think includes the fact that VAT has gone up by 2.5% so your figure of 5% is reasonable

But lets face it Cortese is not here to help the fans he is here to make money like all previous Chairman I would have thought maybe more than the others but we will never know