Adds a bit more to the FA cup Clash

Dazza82

They're rattled and we'll stuff them on Saturday because they now have an expectation on them of performing on Saturday and this pressure will ensure that they don't. And even if they do raise their game, we're more than good enough to dispatch them in 3rd gear. It'll be a comfortable win by a clear margin.

"I'm not sure whether they still think they're a Manchester United or a Chelsea - they're playing among the smaller fry of the Football League now," Turner added.

haha, ok then pal, we hadn't noticed.

who did we play last night?

Shrewsbury are a handy outfit. They will give us a good run out at the very least.

But I think Turner needs to look up the word 'pragmatism' in the dictionary. We will not be dropping prices to spite ourselves with lower profit, it will be done to get more people through the door to optimise any revenue we both could make.

"I'm not sure whether they still think they're a Manchester United or a Chelsea - they're playing among the smaller fry of the Football League now," Turner added.

haha, ok then pal, we hadn't noticed.

who did we play last night?

Still? Still? Did we ever?

They're rattled and we'll stuff them on Saturday because they now have an expectation on them of performing on Saturday and this pressure will ensure that they don't. And even if they do raise their game, we're more than good enough to dispatch them in 3rd gear. It'll be a comfortable win by a clear margin.

You've put my mind at rest, I'll sleep easy again now.

Well thats lucky then because we haven't really moved up from 3rd gear yet...

I can't believe they wanted us to charge £25 for this. There is a fair chance they will make more money with the cheaper tickets.

Apparently they have got injury problems, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem at home, I would like to see a couple of fringe players get a run, Doble etc.

Didn't they beat us at The Dell in the cup a few years back? When we were Premier League.

"I'm not sure whether they still think they're a Manchester United or a Chelsea - they're playing among the smaller fry of the Football League now,"

"so if I were them I'd be a bit more respectful to other teams in the League,"

I find this all a bit ironic. Turner's not being overly respectful in referring to clubs as "smaller fry". But.....

I am with others as I do think that it was wholly unnecessary to wash the dirty linen in public. What was to be achieved by doing it apart from making Shrewsbury look greedy? Do we come out as some paragon of virtue?

Let's be realistic - they probably do need the money. We can afford it and can be a bit blazé about lowering the price, but it rather discounts the needs of Shrewsbury, who were perfectly within their rights to not agree to it. Maybe they need an extra £20-30k (or what ever it is) to pay the staff. The FA Cup does give opportunities to clubs, who don't have the biggest income in the world, to cash in. Why do so many clubs want to draw Man Utd at Old Trafford? Not because 99 times out of a 100 they are going to get beaten, is it? Shrewsbury's highest attendance this season has been 6993 so any extra income has to be welcome, and I think that it is arrogant of us to have done this. If the club was worried about ticket prices, maybe they could have lowered the price on a League game (although hard to refund ST holders) or not charged so much in the first place.

PS - I looked into their ticketing prices and came across this and I can't see why they are complaining about the £15 ticket price.

The EARLY BIRD is here ! Enjoy the thrills and spills of football league action here at the Prostar, where an adult can watch the SHREWS from as little as £7.61 per game (Adult season ticket 1 adult + 1 12 -16 Cat B) an under 16 can also watch for just over £6 and we even offer deals where children can come and watch for FREE!

At £25 a pop I think a lot of Saints fans wouldn't have bothered. At £15 it's more likely that people will go. According to OS they have opened up blocks 3 and 43. This must mean that as far as the Shrews are concerned, even at the reduced prices they aren't bringing many. OS also hinted they may start opening Chapel end, so ticket sales must be going OK at Itchen and Northam for them to initially open 3 and 43, and then hint chapel too. By my very basic calculations, for every 1000 tickets at £25 we need to sell 1667 tickets at £15 for same income. However this does not include a number of these extra 667 punters buying programs, beer, pies etc. Or bringing little ones for their first matches, visiting shop and buying shirts, scarfs etc. The maths isn't as straightforward as £25 v £15.

£25 is relatively expensive for a Championship game FFS. It is ridiculous for a match no one cares about against League Two opposition.

Yes, it might have been petty to make our public statement but WTF were Shrewsbury doing trying to justify ticket prices at the maximum possible level? What a complete waste of the FA's time and of our time, as well as their own.

Forget whether they need the money or not - £25 to watch a third division team play a fourth division team is a ridiculous proposition.

Edited by benjii

£25 is relatively expensive for a Championship game FFS. It is ridiculous for a match no one cares about against League Two opposition.

Yes, it might have been petty to make our public statement but WTF were Shrewsbury doing trying to justify ticket prices at the maximum possible level? What a complete waste of the FA's time and of our time, as well as their own.

Forget whether they need the money or not - £25 to watch a third division team play a fourth division team is a ridiculous proposition.

Back to old money terms it really is a reminder of how far we have fallen :scared: (not to mention playing in Round 1 FFS)

Bollix to all this Prem/Championship L1 / L2 etc.... lets get back to basics.

It's sad that The Fa Cup has lost it's magic, the blame lies with the likes of Moan U who complain about too many fixtures then happily fly to the other side of the world for a meaningless World Club Cup Final and vote for Pool matches in all stages of The "Champions" league where you can finish 2nd 3rd or 4th to enter WTF.

mind you The Fa Cup is tainted now with Cheatsmuff appearing in the final and even winning it by default. :(

I work with quite a number of Shrews fans ( my local club).

Don't quite get it but they think a. we've dropped the prices to get a big crowd in to buy loads of beer & food which they won't get any profits from. b. they're used to variation of only a 1000 or so or gates at home so don't get it that not dropping prices might make (at my guess) 8K difference to the crowd. c. think think our statement was rude and patronising :lol:.

Just as long we win.

Someone should point out to them that for as long as we've been at SMS, whenever we are at home in the early rounds of FA/Carling/JPT matches we are consistently amongst the highest, if not THE highest attendances of the round. Why? Because we get the price levels right for the game in question.