'Good' bars to watch football in

Guan 2.0

Hello all.

Hoping to catch up with some old friends on saturday - had arranged it for 5ish, not realising that the game would be a late kick off, thinking i could go after listening on solent.

Now I don't really want to cancel (cannot rearrange for earlier, or miss the game, and for once, going to a bar with loud fellow saints fans is not going to be productive.

So I was wondering if anybody knew of any quieter bars in either Southampton or Winchester, that show the match (even on a little screen that a can sneak at a glance at now and then).

Thanks in advance.

Winchester is a tricky one.... Although you are more likely to find a 'quiet' pub there. I would suggest looking just off the high street. The Royal Oak perhaps. The best pub though is 'The Eclipse' but it only has terrestrial.

Southampton would be a better bet.

It will be on in the Exchange - on at least some of the TVs - a few of will probably be in there. They will probably have the Man Utd game (or whichever Premier League game it is) on at the same time - with the sound on for that one. The landlords an Arse...nal fan so can't really expect much better from him than that!

The White Swan used to be the place to go but it's got new owners now.

O'Neills will probably have both games on as well.

Hello all.

Hoping to catch up with some old friends on saturday - had arranged it for 5ish, not realising that the game would be a late kick off, thinking i could go after listening on solent.

Now I don't really want to cancel (cannot rearrange for earlier, or miss the game, and for once, going to a bar with loud fellow saints fans is not going to be productive.

So I was wondering if anybody knew of any quieter bars in either Southampton or Winchester, that show the match (even on a little screen that a can sneak at a glance at now and then).

Thanks in advance.

Tell your "friends" that you are watching the football if they like it or not, they are welcome to watch it you and you will even let them buy you some drinks and go to the bar when the game is on. Alternatively why not make a day of it and take your "friends" along to Peterborough? Tickets still available for only £20 which is bargain price to see L1 level football whilst standing on a terrace romantisising about how much better football was when you could stand up with being ejected. Unless they are strange, homosexuals or women then they will be delighted to watch the game with you. If they refuse then i suggest you find some new friends, anyone that doesn't like football is wierd and you are only delay the invitable by culling them now. Best get it out of the way before you start being invited to Robot parties and Country fayres. Unless of course they are a woman but in that case what are you doing taking women to a pub? THey should be at home cooking at 5pm on a saturday evening.

Edited by Turkish

Tell your "friends" that you are watching the football if they like it or not, they are welcome to watch it you and you will even let them buy you some drinks and go to the bar when the game is on. Alternatively why not make a day of it and take your "friends" along to Peterborough? Tickets still available for only £20 which is bargain price to see L1 level football whilst standing on a terrace romantisising about how much better football was when you could stand up with being ejected. Unless they are strange, homosexuals or women then they will be delighted to watch the game with you. If they refuse then i suggest you find some new friends, anyone that doesn't like football is wierd and you are only delay the invitable by culling them now. Best get it out of the way before you start being invited to Robot parties and Country fayres. Unless of course they are a woman but in that case what are you doing taking women to a pub? THey should be at home cooking at 5pm on a saturday evening.

This. 110%

Good morning Mr Gray! ;)

Good morning Mr Gray! ;)

Ha ha, Quite! 2 of them are women, while of the men, 1 other saints fan, one Liverpool and one Blackburn. Two are travelling down from Sheffield and one from manchester, so a change of venue is a no go - though don't think I didn't have the idea of just giving them the postcode for satnav, and trying the whole "my word, this appears to be London road, the ground, not the street in Southampton, oh well, now we're here we might as well go in".

Oh and *start* to get invited to robot parties? It's the very marked difference that my uni mates and my friends who married/pushed out rug ruts early are set apart by.

Can anyone reccommend a good pub in Southampton to watch the Peterborough game? Im based in Bournemouth and dont expect any of the pubs down here to be showing it due to Rugby, Mancs etc, dont have sky either so thought i might jump on the train and watch it up in Southampton.

Cheers,

Ben

Can anyone reccommend a good pub in Southampton to watch the Peterborough game? Im based in Bournemouth and dont expect any of the pubs down here to be showing it due to Rugby, Mancs etc, dont have sky either so thought i might jump on the train and watch it up in Southampton.

Cheers,

Ben

The Royal Oak will be the best bet if you want a 'pub', somewhere like Wahoo would be decent if you want a more pub/bar sort of place.

Ha ha, Quite! 2 of them are women, while of the men, 1 other saints fan, one Liverpool and one Blackburn. Two are travelling down from Sheffield and one from manchester, so a change of venue is a no go - though don't think I didn't have the idea of just giving them the postcode for satnav, and trying the whole "my word, this appears to be London road, the ground, not the street in Southampton, oh well, now we're here we might as well go in".

Oh and *start* to get invited to robot parties? It's the very marked difference that my uni mates and my friends who married/pushed out rug ruts early are set apart by.

Of these women, which one are you going to try to nail?

Is Varsity definitely showing the game at the weekend Samuel? Don't quite fancy going all the way down to Wahoo tbh!

Good point, Man United are on at the same time, guess it depends if there are more Man United or Southampton fans in the bar. My mate works there, will ask him and let you know. When I used to be a regular at the Royal Oak they had about six TVs and sometimes showed two games at the same time on Champions League nights, haven't been there in a couple of years though, so not sure whats changed.

I'm fortunate, my local in Hungerford doesn't have ESPN, so will have to show the Saints game instead of Wolves/Man United.

Good point, Man United are on at the same time, guess it depends if there are more Man United or Southampton fans in the bar. My mate works there, will ask him and let you know. When I used to be a regular at the Royal Oak they had about six TVs and sometimes showed two games at the same time on Champions League nights, haven't been there in a couple of years though, so not sure whats changed.

I'm fortunate, my local in Hungerford doesn't have ESPN, so will have to show the Saints game instead of Wolves/Man United.

F**ks sake, please don't tell me there would be any debate in any pub in Southampton as to which game will be shown?

Winchester is a tricky one.... Although you are more likely to find a 'quiet' pub there. I would suggest looking just off the high street. The Royal Oak perhaps. The best pub though is 'The Eclipse' but it only has terrestrial.

Southampton would be a better bet.

neither have Sky so top suggestions mate as to where he can watch the game. O'Neills and King Alf will have it on and the pub up near the hospital thta name escapes me (no St James Tavern)

Oh and best pub in Winch is Black Boy

Can anyone tell if Turkish is a ******, a troll or both?

Sue, a female, a footie fan, player and gay. Also good at cooking with a good knowledge of slow-acting poisons...

Can anyone tell if Sue has no sense of humour is over sensitive or both? Lighten up FFS.

In Southampton the Alex is pretty good, but will probably be quite busy.

Does anyone know of any other decent pubs that will have the game on in Town or Portswood or anywhere inbetween. (Not Varsity or Wazzo, preferably crappy chain pubs)?

In Southampton the Alex is pretty good, but will probably be quite busy.

Does anyone know of any other decent pubs that will have the game on in Town or Portswood or anywhere inbetween. (Not Varsity or Wazzo, preferably crappy chain pubs)?

How about the Mitre?