Jack Cork

RedAndWhite91

Disappointing if we don't get him. I really want us to sign someone of quality because it will really give an indication of what type of signings we are going to get. Spending spree of the first year of this regime? Or frees, low fees and loans of last season.

Why? As much as we need this type of player, there is nothing in his performances to indicate we should bust the bank for. A good player but he would not be on offer at this fee with greater potential.

Why? As much as we need this type of player, there is nothing in his performances to indicate we should bust the bank for. A good player but he would not be on offer at this fee with greater potential.

Does t have to be him bit we need some proven championship performers.

I haven't read what you have posted but I know what you have said because you have said it hundreds of times. I've outlined my position and why we spent significantly less on players and wages this year than our first year. No matter what you say, the transfers this summer will be a big indication as to our financial situation.

Good, then you should know that it was because we didn't need to spend big as the first 11 was already sorted. All we needed to buy last summer was squad players.

Good, then you should know that it was because we didn't need to spend big as the first 11 was already sorted. All we needed to buy last summer was squad players.

That is one explanation. All I am saying is that it will be interesting to see if this is the case this season considering our need to buy some proven championship quality. I don't think thats a particularly outlandish view to have!

I ignored what you said because I knew what you were going to say. I dot have you on my ignore list

Well every time I posted it, you have yet to answer any of the questions I raised. Such as how much Guly and Forte cost, why £450k is not a small amount to pay for a League One right back? Or most importantly why Saints needed much change after the summer of 2010 when the squad was already pretty much in place and the additions that were made helped obtain promotion?

Sometimes I think your username really is quite apt! ;) :p

That is one explanation. All I am saying is that it will be interesting to see if this is the case this season considering our need to buy some proven championship quality. I don't think thats a particularly outlandish view to have!

Davis, Butterfield, Richardson, Fonte, Jaidi. Harding, Chaplow, Connolly, Guly, Holmes, Fish, Jonno Quick, Lallana (+ Puncheon) all have proven Championship quality. Morgan and Chamberlain would get into any Championship side. I'd be surprised if we added more than 3 players, perhaps more if we lose one or two. Why do we ned to buy "proven" Championship quality? Why not one or two quality players from L1, or a promising youngster from a PL team on loan?

Davis, Butterfield, Richardson, Fonte, Jaidi. Harding, Chaplow, Connolly, Guly, Holmes, Fish, Jonno Quick, Lallana (+ Puncheon) all have proven Championship quality. Morgan and Chamberlain would get into any Championship side. I'd be surprised if we added more than 3 players, perhaps more if we lose one or two. Why do we ned to buy "proven" Championship quality? Why not one or two quality players from L1, or a promising youngster from a PL team on loan?

Morgan played 20 odd games for us in the Championship, in the early days before our lack of strike power became terminally negative ,the combination of Morgan and Holmes was oft very pleasing to watch and caused opposition defences no end of trouble.We just couldn't score and eventually embarked on a spiral descent.

we don't need proven championship players. We need players who will improve the team and fit in with the team spirit. Couldn't care less whether played in championship.

I agree with post above that this league is harder than last year, and also just because Norwich did it doesn't mean everyone who follows will - but they have shown that you do not need to fill your squad with proven championship signings, not sure whether Swansea did as don't know much about their squad.

I don't really understand why everyone is jumping down hypos throat? His point seems fairly valid to me, he is just saying that if we don't buy some real quality this summer then questions will be asked about our supposed financial superiority. I don't necessarily agree because I don't think you judge financial positions on signings alone, but there's no need for the abuse he's getting. The bloke is just putting across his personal point of view ffs!

I don't really understand why everyone is jumping down hypos throat? His point seems fairly valid to me, he is just saying that if we don't buy some real quality this summer then questions will be asked about our supposed financial superiority. I don't necessarily agree because I don't think you judge financial positions on signings alone, but there's no need for the abuse he's getting. The bloke is just putting across his personal point of view ffs!

What abuse? he and MLG are having a private spat, and myself and one or two others have put a contrary view. Others, like you support his view. C'est la vie. None of us is likely to be wholly right, or wholly wrong, and by and large haven't got a clue what we're talking about.

what questions..?

NC keeps stating that we have to live within our means.......now we are in the NPC that does not make us top dog at all..

only on here do you see utter idiotic fans claiming we are going to spend big...or we should

why do we have to...what if we dont..?

what questions..?

NC keeps stating that we have to live within our means.......now we are in the NPC that does not make us top dog at all..

only on here do you see utter idiotic fans claiming we are going to spend big...or we should

why do we have to...what if we dont..?

It's taking a lot of people a lot of time to realise that we're not a big fish in a little pond any more. There are many clubs around us now who are of a similar size. Add in parachute payments to relegated sides and we're at a distinct disadvantage to the spending power of a number of other sides.

It's taking a lot of people a lot of time to realise that we're not a big fish in a little pond any more. There are many clubs around us now who are of a similar size. Add in parachute payments to relegated sides and we're at a distinct disadvantage to the spending power of a number of other sides.

agree...add that to the small list of realistic targets that will improve all our teams...its hard unless you are willing to pay £50k a week (or what ever he is on) to nolan...(i thought west ham were going to struggle..?)

the new saints web phrase is "statement of intent"

you keep reading this....that we need to show our intent..?

intent on what..? staying up..? top half finish..?

why do we need to show anyone anything..? worry about ourselves imo

I think we will sign about 3-4 players. no more.

and I also KNOW for a fact that no matter who they are, many are going to be "underwhelmed" as that is the SWF way unless said player is a proven STAR..

:?

agree...add that to the small list of realistic targets that will improve all our teams...its hard unless you are willing to pay £50k a week (or what ever he is on) to nolan...(i thought west ham were going to struggle..?)

and I also KNOW for a fact that no matter who they are, many are going to be "underwhelmed" as that is the SWF way unless said player is a proven STAR..

"The club has a clear objective to advance directly to the Premier League, so we're going to take 5 or 6 quality players over the summer. I'll probably find three players who in principle are good enough to play Premier League, but have the mentality to play the Championship in one or maximum two seasons, which is the deadline to move up. This might sound like a somewhat over-ambitious target, but the club has the means and facilities to pursue their dreams into reality. "

Jakob Friis-Hansen

"The club has a clear objective to advance directly to the Premier League, so we're going to take 5 or 6 quality players over the summer. I'll probably find three players who in principle are good enough to play Premier League, but have the mentality to play the Championship in one or maximum two seasons, which is the deadline to move up. This might sound like a somewhat over-ambitious target, but the club has the means and facilities to pursue their dreams into reality. "

Jakob Friis-Hansen

who the fuk is this fella...?

could be you on a wind up as far as I know

Jakob Friis-Hansen

Saints new European scout outlining his objectives for the summer follwoing his appointment

Has he actually been confirmed ?

Even if he has, he is hardly an official clubs spokesman.

Because we are not as good as Norwich were and by all accounts the league is harder this season than last year.

Well every time I posted it, you have yet to answer any of the questions I raised. Such as how much Guly and Forte cost, why £450k is not a small amount to pay for a League One right back? Or most importantly why Saints needed much change after the summer of 2010 when the squad was already pretty much in place and the additions that were made helped obtain promotion?

Sometimes I think your username really is quite apt! ;) :p

You know full well that I answered all of your points in full in a long post I made amount two months back. WIth your penchant for pedantry and trawling past post history you should have no trouble in finding it. You are not worthy of your username.

I agree with you here. I think there are a number of ways to judge the state of our finances, but for me one big indicator is the type of signings we make. If it's frees and loans or low value signings (in terms of wages or transfer fees) and the type of players who generally of lower quality than the likes of the top end NPC players are signing, then IMO it is reasonable to assume that our financial backing has decreased somewhat. That's why I believe our first few signings of the summer will be so interesting.

Not at all. I think signing the likes of Cork would be a very good signing and is someone who we know can do well in the NPC. I would be excited to see what he can offer us should we sign him.

I wonder if Norwich forums, this time last year, were full of concern about them not showing intent and signing established CCC players!

They made some very shrewd signings last season and had a lot more right to feel more confident than we are now, having performed better than us over the season and entering a league which is much weaker than this year. Sorry for all the posts in a row, will stop now!

It isn't me on a "wind up"...

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/Friis-Hansen-skal-hjaelpe-Saints-i-PrL

It is a member of staff at the club, showing that the club has a very different view to the one you think it does.

Well then we will see MLG and I will be at the front of the queue being excited if what he says does happen. If it doesn't though then I will question the level of finance we have available to us, especially with our stated aim of reaching the premiership as quickly as possible.

had a lot more right to feel more confident than we are now, having performed better than us over the season and entering a league which is much weaker than this year.

But which squad was better after the final game of the 2009/10 season? After Saint's spending in January, I think Saints had a better squad than Leeds, Norwich and Millwall. Those three were then able to attract players for their Championship seasons because their squads needed improvement, Saints however were already good enough for a League One campaign. As for this coming season, it is 18th June and there are two and half months left of the window.

Well then we will see MLG and I will be at the front of the queue being excited if what he says does happen. If it doesn't though then I will question the level of finance we have available to us, especially with our stated aim of reaching the premiership as quickly as possible.

The money spent on the training ground is a clear indication of the level of finance. There is no need to do that unless you are planning to be a top half Premier League side relatively soon. Also none of us know how much Guly cost, how much Forte cost, we do know Richardson cost £450k, Dickson fee was set by tribunal and would have cost a lot more if it hadn't, we don't we know for certain the terms of the Chaplow deal or how much it cost to get Lallana to sign a long term deal.

But which squad was better after the final game of the 2009/10 season? After Saint's spending in January, I think Saints had a better squad than Leeds, Norwich and Millwall. Those three were then able to attract players for their Championship seasons because their squads needed improvement, Saints however were already good enough for a League One campaign. As for this coming season, it is 18th June and there are two and half months left of the window.

I realise it is the 18th of June. If you read what I said, I said I would be at the front of the queue congratulating the club and being excited if we sign quality, but if we were to go the way of many of our signings from last season then IMO our financial support has been reduced.

The money spent on the training ground is a clear indication of the level of finance. There is no need to do that unless you are planning to be a top half Premier League side relatively soon. Also none of us know how much Guly cost, how much Forte cost, we do know Richardson cost £450k, Dickson fee was set by tribunal and would have cost a lot more if it hadn't, we don't we know for certain the terms of the Chaplow deal or how much it cost to get Lallana to sign a long term deal.

No it is not. The money for the training ground could quite easily have been agreed by Markus before his death with certain finance ringfenced. The 'upgrade' of facilities could have been planned all along and released to the fans as a decent bit of PR. Additionally, the training ground does not lose its value and can be added onto the for sale price should the club ever be put up for sale. With regards to the rest of your points, I have answered them before as you are fully aware. Go and find the thread I answered them in and remind yourself of my answer (I think I repeated it twice hoping it would quieten you down.)

If we were to go the way of many of our signings from last season then IMO our financial support has been reduced.

Why have you jumped to that conclusion?

Before Liebherr died the club plan for one training ground, after he died they submitted new plans that will cost 3x as much as originally planned.

Plus, the club was building a squad to get promoted, by the summer of 2010 most of that was already in place, even if money was available it would be pointless spending for spendings sake. For example Saints already had Lambert and Barnard up front, pointless spending more to bring in another player to be 1st choice when the incumbents are more than good enough. Same applied to most other positions in the squad, as shown by promotion being obtained at the end of the season.

Why have you jumped to that conclusion?

Before Liebherr died the club plan for one training ground, after he died they submitted new plans that will cost 3x as much as originally planned.

Answered that point already. Stop repeating yourself.

Plus, the club was building a squad to get promoted, by the summer of 2010 most of that was already in place, even if money was available it would be pointless spending for spendings sake. For example Saints already had Lambert and Barnard up front, pointless spending more to bring in another player to be 1st choice when the incumbents are more than good enough. Same applied to most other positions in the squad, as shown by promotion being obtained at the end of the season.

That is a fair point. IF it was the case that we didn't spend money because we didn't have to, then it follows that now we DO have to spend money that we will.

No it is not. The money for the training ground could quite easily have been agreed by Markus before his death with certain finance ringfenced. The 'upgrade' of facilities could have been planned all along and released to the fans as a decent bit of PR. Additionally, the training ground does not lose its value and can be added onto the for sale price should the club ever be put up for sale. With regards to the rest of your points, I have answered them before as you are fully aware. Go and find the thread I answered them in and remind yourself of my answer (I think I repeated it twice hoping it would quieten you down.)

If you really want me to know tell me, if I have seen it before it can't have impressed me or I'd have remembered it. ;) Hence why I'd like to see it again.

As for the training ground, why would a League One club build a Champions League level training ground if it had no intention of competing anywhere near that level? They may as well have not spent the money, if they intend to hang around in the Championship of lower reaches of the Premier League. You say it "doesn't lose its value and can be added to the sale price", it also doesn't gain much in value as it only has one purpose and doesn't directly provide a revenue stream like capital investment on a stadium does or a player purchase.

Edited by Matthew Le God

That is a fair point. IF it was the case that we didn't spend money because we didn't have to, then it follows that now we DO have to spend money that we will.

And Cortese, Adkins and Friis-Hansen have all indicated that to be the case. It is now just a matter of watching it unfold over the next two and half months, rather than panicking about it when we don't know what they are doing behind the scenes with such a long time still left. If money was that desperate it would be hard to convince Lallana, Fonte and Chamberlain of the clubs ambitions for them to be here long term. All three are still here at the moment, Lallana wouldn't have extended his contract, Chamberlain may well have been sold by now and Fonte wouldn't have dropped a league and signed in the first place.

If you really want me to know tell me, if I have seen it before it can't have impressed me or I'd have remembered it.

As for the training ground, why would a League One club build a Champions League level training ground if it had no intention of competing anywhere near that level? They may as well have not spent the money, if they intend to hang around in the Championship of lower reaches of the Premier League. You say it "doesn't lose its value and can be added to the sale price", it also doesn't gain much in value as it only has one purpose and doesn't directly provide a revenue stream like capital investment on a stadium does or a player purchase.

Amazing the selective memory you have when you can remember the smallest details in posts from more than six months ago. FWIW I answered the point on here and on football forums where you are a running joke and routinely voted the most infuriating and dull poster on there. In regards to your point, at NO point did I not say we have lofty ambitions. A training ground does not gain value but neither does it lose it. It's an investment which will always be recouped through the purchase price of the club. It is quite possible that Markus agreed to any necessary training ground expansions before his death. In fact, I would imagine it quite likely considering how forward thinking Cortese supposedly is. Buying a player is a much more risky investment since they could break their leg and never play again.

In my opinion, there is a possibility that following Markus' death our revenue stream has been reduced. Not stopped completely but we have had to tighten our belts. The expansion of the training ground does not influence this opinion since it is quite possible that this was agreed beforehand. I have seen little evidence to the contrary THUS FAR to challenge this. That is why I think signings this summer will be interesting.

You may disagree with this but it is my opinion and I feel like I am repeating myself because you continue to make the same points over and over and over.

And Cortese, Adkins and Friis-Hansen have all indicated that to be the case. It is now just a matter of watching it unfold over the next two and half months, rather than panicking about it when we don't know what they are doing behind the scenes with such a long time still left. If money was that desperate it would be hard to convince Lallana, Fonte and Chamberlain of the clubs ambitions for them to be here long term. All three are still here at the moment, Lallana wouldn't have extended his contract, Chamberlain may well have been sold by now and Fonte wouldn't have dropped a league and signed in the first place.

I'm not panicking, I'm waiting to see what signings we make which will form my opinion about our financial situation. Not sure why you think I am panicking, I'm not saying 'FFS we haven't signed anyone!'