Jack Cork

RedAndWhite91

I'm not sure that is entirely accurate or fair on Cork. He returned to Chelsea at the end of a three month deal, probably because we could not afford to extend the deal, and even if we could he saw that being part of the wreckage that SFC had become for the remainder of the season offered no benefit to his career.
His head is away in WAG land it seems, and I'm not sure he's what we would have really needed.

parachute payments are no-where near enough to finance them, they have huge debts and could well go bust if they don't get promoted. Think the theory is, if you have over £100m of debt you can't afford and will never clear outside of prem - you may as well add a few million - will still go bust if you don't go up, just owing bit more, but gives you chance of promotion

Also, I'm not sure why parachute payments or getting promoted back to the Prem will clear their debt when playing in the Premier League caused it in the first place.

There was an excellent piece in The Sunday Tmes yesterday by Rod Liddle which was very insightful - he opined that very often the reason clubs don't sign people early is not because they are not trying to do so but because big name players turn them down. This (he said) leads to mangers getting ever more frustrated and coming our with excuses like "plenty of time yet" and "no need for anybody to panic", lines in fact which are very familiar to most fans - we've heard them used here in the past many times.

If he's right it maybe puts a different slant on our apparent inactivity in the transfer market, perhaps we have been turned down by some key targets who may not see our prospects of a quick return to the PL in quite the same light as management at SMS.

Apparently bookies odds can be a factor influencing players judgement's as to where they should go to ensure career progress and more importantly more dosh.

Just got a feeling the club in question may be Leicester!!!!! They are set to gazump our every move this summer, mwahhhhhhhhhhaaahhhhhhhh!!!

or West Ham as the greasy reptile Sloberdyce is intending to spend out of all proportion in pursuit of promotion, or financial ruin.

Doubt it's us, I have a feeling this went dead a while ago.

Unsurprisingly, everything went quiet with him when he went to the U21's. Not surprising that it could reach a conclusion now he's on his way back. Que Sera Sera.

Not doubting you for a mo but source!!

My source is an agent. I do not know if that is HIS agent. Given the thread that has just begun regarding comments by agents it's rather ironic I realise!

I sincerely hope no one gets too excited or disappointed - things are never as simple as they seem.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say West Ham.

They've shed Ba and Da Costa in the past week or so, high earners, so they've generated money and the wage bill has gone down meaning they can afford the asking price and his wages. The Mirror said we were offering £15,000 a week wages.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's us; deal done before Euros and confirmed now he's back as it's all quite soon after we were knocked out. Nothing on West Ham forum 'Knees Up Mother Brown'. Cue announcement from West Ham saying "we are delighted to confirm the signing of Jack Cork..."

You darn fool IKT lol!!!!! Wait a min, IKT is an anagram of ITK........its true, its true

585 posts about a player who will never, ever, sign for us

And post 586 was so much better? Hmm.

As for 'faster route to the Prem' I'm not sure that would matter to a man who - if he has signed for a Championship club as I have been informed this evening - had Premier League offers. Swansea were apparently very keen and I dare say he would have started a lot of games for them.

As for 'faster route to the Prem' I'm not sure that would matter to a man who - if he has signed for a Championship club as I have been informed this evening - had Premier League offers. Swansea were apparently very keen and I dare say he would have started a lot of games for them.

West Ham or Us, right now, who would you back to get back to the Premiership first? Premier League offers notwithstanding, surely a 'whole package' would be considered. Swansea on 15K, West Ham on 20k and us on 15k could still leave West 'Am as a prefered option.

Edited by Colinjb

West Ham or Us, right now, who would you back to get back to the Premiership first?

Not as straightforward a question as it seems but if I had to choose, West Ham. Early signs for them are encouraging but they've lost a lot more players than they've signed and still need to sell to buy. Any team that gets promoted this season from the Championship needs to have one of the best seasons in their history - as I outlined in another thread, it's one hell of a division this time around, big clubs + big budgets = big expectations.

Still not able to ascertain Cork's new club by the way folks. Not entirely helpful I admit!

Not as straightforward a question as it seems but if I had to choose, West Ham. Early signs for them are encouraging but they've lost a lot more players than they've signed and still need to sell to buy. Any team that gets promoted this season from the Championship needs to have one of the best seasons in their history - as I outlined in another thread, it's one hell of a division this time around, big clubs + big budgets = big expectations.

Still not able to ascertain Cork's new club by the way folks. Not entirely helpful I admit!

If he has signed for someone, it will be out there somewhere!!! Dig my boy dig!!!

According to wicki-US! ???

I remember when I submitted an article on FourFourTwo about Aquilani possibly going to Liverpool, his page changed within about two minutes. Luckily for me, the transfer did materialise.

Anyway that's bound to be someone who's read this thread. In fact... Was it you by any chance?

Cork Deal Back On? http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/burnley/news/9099002.Burnley_target_Cork__left_in_limbo_/?ref=rss

It seems that we are still the only club to have offer accepted and now we need to agree something with him if we want him because there are plenty of other clubs interested.

According to the journo, doesn't sound like he's interested in us anyway.

Wonder if the Cortese bashers will have a comment about us being the only club to pay the required fee, if that is true?

As I've mentioned before, his wages are apparently £15,000 a week. If he wants to keep that level of pay he'll not really have a lot of choice in what Club he plays for. It's a lot of money.

Seems more 'off' than 'on' to me...

"JACK Cork has been left in limbo with Chelsea’s financial demands currently pricing Burnley out of a deal for the midfielder.

Southampton had an offer accepted late last month but I understand Cork is not keen on a move to the south coast club.

The England Under-21 international remains open to a permanent switch to Turf Moor, where he has spent the last 18 months on loan, and has also attracted interest from other sides tipped to challenge for promotion to the Premier League during 2011/12.

But Chelsea have been reluctant to disclose the figure they accepted from Nigel Adkins’ Southampton and, when Burnley attempted to respond to the Saints’ bid by holding discussions with the Blues, they fell short of the asking price.

It is understood that four or five interested clubs have now been unable to agree a fee with Chelsea, who are said to be determined not to budge in their financial demands.

The other clubs have not been named, but it was already known that Blackpool, Nottingham Forest and Leeds were among those interested. Swansea, preparing for their first season in the top flight, and West Ham have also been linked."

Edited by trousers