Jack Cork

RedAndWhite91

TBF the majority of Burnley's fanbase were of the opinion that he was their POTS last year.

I have no idea why we're debating if Jack Cork is good enough for us, when he clearly would walk into our team.

in the cup game this year against Man Who 3/4 of their team were really poor but i would still take pretty much all of them if the chance arose for saints.

Even playing out of position he looked unambitious and most of his passing was safety first sideways and back. There is no way he could play in the same midfield as Schneiderlin. Chaplow maybe, but he looks like he is still an unambitious defensive midfielder which we don't need. We do need a driver in midfield that will make us play.

2-0 up and cruising isn't the time to take risks. Can't write him off from 45 minutes out of position in a friendly!

Our left back didn't seem to be stopped from attacking and how would I know? Do you?

I'm not the one making judgements on the basis of half a game played out of position with no knowledge of what the brief was.

2-0 up and cruising isn't the time to take risks. Can't write him off from 45 minutes out of position in a friendly!

I'm not writing him off, I am saying I'm not sure he is what we need. Schneiderlin is similar in many respects I can't see them as a pair. As I said previously we need a leader/driver in midfield, neither Cork or Schneiderlin are a leader. I never said he wasn't talented but he was unambitious and ultra safe, Gibbs on the other side was the opposite, adventurous. He was out of position but has played there before, however he didn't show anything other than to play sideways and back. In any event I'd be surprised if we signed him. It's only paper talk a bid has been accepted and other sources put that wide of the mark.

I'm not writing him off, I am saying I'm not sure he is what we need. Schneiderlin is similar in many respects I can't see them as a pair. As I said previously we need a leader/driver in midfield, neither Cork or Schneiderlin are a leader. I never said he wasn't talented but he was unambitious and ultra safe, Gibbs on the other side was the opposite, adventurous. He was out of position but has played there before, however he didn't show anything other than to play sideways and back. In any event I'd be surprised if we signed him. It's only paper talk a bid has been accepted and other sources put that wide of the mark.

But it's one half of football. In a friendly. When he was out of position.

I've seen him playing for S****horpe, then his half season with Saints plus the odd tv game, I was expecting him to have stepped up a gear from then but he was still the same. I wouldn't be overenthusiastic if he signed but we would need to sign a leader to play central midfielder with him. I'd be surprised if we sign him.

It was a game before the real competition starts and a chance to impress the Manager, particularly as he was not first choice. Did nothing to suggest he "wanted it"

I am sure he is a decent player but is he right for us in a central midfield position if he does nothing more than play safe!

It was a game before the real competition starts and a chance to impress the Manager, particularly as he was not first choice. Did nothing to suggest he "wanted it"

I am sure he is a decent player but is he right for us in a central midfield position if he does nothing more than play safe!

So what! Any player in the world can have a poor 45 minutes in a game when played out of position. There could have been any number of factors. If we are going to judge players on shaky information then I would much rather go on the views of Burnley fans who see him every week or even the number of NPC managers who are looking to sign him.

I'm not writing him off, I am saying I'm not sure he is what we need. Schneiderlin is similar in many respects I can't see them as a pair. As I said previously we need a leader/driver in midfield, neither Cork or Schneiderlin are a leader.

I agree on this.

He's too similar to Schneiderlin to be an effective pairing, unless we don't play 442 of course.

Didn't see the game Weston, but I'd never form an opinion of someone when they play for England!

I think Cork would be a top signing. (I'd take Danns too, of course)

I agree on this.

He's too similar to Schneiderlin to be an effective pairing, unless we don't play 442 of course.

Agree with you and Derry.

Would much rather sign someone like Danns. That's what we are missing; forward mobility and dynamism from CM (other than from Chaplow but he is not really good enough to be a first choice starter every week).

I agree on this.

I remember the comments that we need 2 players in every position, we missed Morgan very badly although we was winning games but at times we struggled.

Cork is a great signing and I hope it comes off.

How do you define 'experienced'? Would it be a 35 year old ex-Premier League midfielder who is slowly working his way down the leagues?

Jack Cork is only 21, but he has played in the Premier League, has represented England at every level from U.16s to U.21s, and made 40 Championship appearances last season alone. He is sought after by a number of clubs, and highly rated. Rightly so.

If I had to choose between an old experienced player or a highly rated young player, I wouldn't need to even think about it.

I don't think experience comes into it, if you're good enough, then you're good enough. Cork is good enough IMO.

We made a thing of signing experienced midfield players, Alan ball and Jimmy Case to mention two who did well for us. You sign what your team needs at the time - sometimes that can be experience. Lots of people turned their noses up at Jim McCalliog but his pass won us the 1976 FA cup. Sometimes managers see things we don't.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. It might be AOC is part of the deal (Chelsea might just as well buy him to stop their competitors getting him), then again it might not. Not much point speculating whether we sign anyone until they arrive.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. It might be AOC is part of the deal (Chelsea might just as well buy him to stop their competitors getting him), then again it might not. Not much point speculating whether we sign anyone until they arrive.

I think Corks out of contract, and the 750k is going to chelsea as part of a development fee. I may be wrong though

I thought he looked incrediable on his loan debut for us, and that his following performances were never quite as good, however that was some time ago and I certainly think he's the sort of player we need to be signing to do well next season. I've not seem him play for a while but we could do a lot worse.

Not wanting a player because he's similar to one of our better players. :(
Really? Do you not understand what we need in central midfield? Your judgement is better than that Hopkins

I will give you an example

Last season Cork 36 starts plus 4 Subs 3 goals 2 assists - Shots 19 on target 15 off.

Last season Schneiderlin - 23 starts 4 subs no goals 1 assist - 7 shots on target 14 off

See the problem of playing both? Our central midfield has gone missing too often. We will not get away with that in the Championship

We made a thing of signing experienced midfield players, Alan ball and Jimmy Case to mention two who did well for us. You sign what your team needs at the time - sometimes that can be experience. Lots of people turned their noses up at Jim McCalliog but his pass won us the 1976 FA cup. Sometimes managers see things we don't.

This is a good point, and true. However, I can't see an ageing midfielder fit into the current 2011 squad, unless they were exceptional and signed for a high fee from a PL club, of course. (Which I can't see happening anyway). I'd just rather have Jack Cork who has the potential to develop into a quality player, than a quality player winding down his career who has no potential beyond a couple of years. Just my opinion (and also the way I seem to play FootballManager...)

Schneiderlin and Cork in a central midfield pairing? Too samey.

Or you could play both - but have Neil Danns playing just in front, Lallana one side, Chambo the other and Lambo up top.

I reckon that's how Adkins wants us to play eventually, but i'm not 100% sure the single striker will end up being Lambo long-term.

Really? Do you not understand what we need in central midfield? Your judgement is better than that Hopkins

Last season Cork 36 starts plus 4 Subs 3 goals 2 assists - Shots 19 on target 15 off.

Last season Schneiderlin - 23 starts 4 subs no goals 1 assist - 7 shots on target 14 off

See the problem of playing both? Our central midfield has gone missing too often. We will not get away with that in the Championship

In fairness I do see the point. I also see it more as I'm still yet to be convinced that Adkins rates Morgan as much as we all do and I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan goes at some point in the near future. He also loves Hammond and I can't see him going out of his way to drop him. So if he does sign Cork I see him partnering Hammond but anyway my point still kinda stands. Morgan is one of our better players (In a lot of peoples opinions) so I can't really see the big dissapointment if we sign someone like him. If Gobern goes we'll need someone to replace him, Cork is a step up in quality from Gobern and is young enough to be a big part of this club. Morgan has a year left on his contract I believe? Don't see him staying too much longer because he'll want to further his career probably back in France and if that is the case then getting Cork now not only helps us out this season but allows us to replace Morgan for the future too.

There is no guarantee that they will play together in central midfield and Cork is a step up from Gobern who looks set to leave us. In fact...I wouldn't be surprised if we did sign Cork if we went on a signed another attacking central midfielder (Maybe one who can play out wide also tbf).

Is this because they've been asked to play a similar role? Can neither play further forward? Anyone know if Schneiderlin plays the same role for France Under 21's as he does for Saints?

Is this because they've been asked to play a similar role? Can neither play further forward? Anyone know if Schneiderlin plays the same role for France Under 21's as he does for Saints?

When I saw Morgan play for the U21's he scored a goal from the edge of the box and always seemed to be involved in the attacks.

I think he's natrually a cautious player though but I still wouldn't turn my nose up to Jack Cork.

When I saw Morgan play for the U21's he scored a goal from the edge of the box and always seemed to be involved in the attacks.

I think he's natrually a cautious player though but I still wouldn't turn my nose up to Jack Cork.

Doesn't play the same role for the bleuets, plays as one of 2 recuperateur/relayeurs both with equal liberty to move forward when the opportunity arises but the other one hasn't to go charging forward at the same time. 4-2-3-1 is bog standard in French football it's the base system and it's the formula which Morgan most easily drops into.However with Saints

wanting, nay needing to play with 2 strikers all of the time because they don't have a real 'hole man' he may not be so much at liberty to get forward.

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that France seem to play him further forward. I think there's a danger that we categorise players as a certain type without having seen them in role different from the one they are asked to play for a particular team. For all I know Cork also may be perfectly capable of playing in a more forward role.

Schneiderlin and Cork in a central midfield pairing? Too samey.

I don't agree with that. Cork and Surman were too samey when they were asked to play in centre midfield. They both liked to push on, but at times that cost us as we looked lightweight down the middle defensively. Cork looks like he is still willing to push forward these days and he certainly looks like he has an engine on him so I'd of thought he be a good foil for Morgan.

Cork plays as a box to box player for Burnley I believe. Most assists come from wide areas, set plays or forwards moving the ball on. Its not that often a central midfielder has an opportunity to get a direct, open play assist. It's silly to expect that many goals from them either and 3 is obviously better than none. Our top 5 scorers this season are all strikers or wingers and I'd be willing to bet that our asssists table looks much the same.

Cork is a solid receive and pass CM and yes in a similar vein to MS. Cork is also versatile which adds value to the squad.

The real difference maker, however, would be Danns. Pace, skill, delivery, set pieces, goals ... this is the attacking piece we are desperately missing and NC should let bygones be bygones and make it happen.

Of course, it would be handy to have Cork in CM to give Danns the ball ...

Cork is a solid receive and pass CM and yes in a similar vein to MS. Cork is also versatile which adds value to the squad.

The real difference maker, however, would be Danns. Pace, skill, delivery, set pieces, goals ... this is the attacking piece we are desperately missing and NC should let bygones be bygones and make it happen.

Have I missed something? What bygones?

I'd love Danns, but i'd be very suprised if he ends up anywhere other than Hull.

Isn't Danns supposed to have turned us down 18 months back??

Pretty much. Went for him and Fonte, but Danns was convinced by Warnock to stay there at the time - only for Warnock to shorlty move anyway!

I think the main reason he didn't move then was because of our league position. He'd have been in L1 for another 18 months at least, with Fonte he was kind of pushed out of the door as the Administrator's needed that £1m.

Didn't Danns have some family living in Southampton?

Cork plays as a box to box player for Burnley I believe. Most assists come from wide areas, set plays or forwards moving the ball on. Its not that often a central midfielder has an opportunity to get a direct, open play assist. It's silly to expect that many goals from them either and 3 is obviously better than none. Our top 5 scorers this season are all strikers or wingers and I'd be willing to bet that our asssists table looks much the same.

Bullsh*t.

when did Nicola fall out with Danns??!!