Give Guly a break...

sambosa75

he was easily not the best.......

IMO he had an average game...and that average was due to his two goals

fair play to him...right place, right time and all that...keep em coming

Nope he wasn't the best, but i just don't get these '''he's the worst player'' comments, when he quite clearly isn't. I can accept that he has bad games, like last week, but he also has effective games - like today. And he also has unplayable games where he's all over the show.

He's an enigma and a match winner, and you have to accept the rough and the smooth with him. Take him out of our side and we've lost alot of the unpredictability we have.

Nope he wasn't the best, but i just don't get these '''he's the worst player'' comments, when he quite clearly isn't. I can accept that he has bad games, like last week, but he also has effective games - like today. And he also has unplayable games where he's all over the show.

He's an enigma and a match winner, and you have to accept the rough and the smooth with him. Take him out of our side and we've lost alot of the unpredictability we have.

i would have a fit connolly over his unpredictability every day of the week....sadly, that is never an option really

I totally agree with this post. I think that remarks like "I don`t ever want to see the useless **** in a Saints shirt again" (elsewhere in this thread) are plain ridiculous. I no that it`s opinions and all that, but come on!

I agree with the above comments - Ramage and Parr were dreadful.

As for Guly, he scored two today but didn't do much else and I for one (like many around me) were expecting Connolly to replace him moments before he scored number two.

At his best, he's one of our best, sadly he is very inconsistent. The fact is, if he was brilliant like he can be every week he'd be playing for a top six prem club and not for one in the Championship.

We wouldn't be where we are without him and I want him to continue in the side (although maybe on the right of midfield should we sign a new front man).

Would we be Top of the League if Guly had not been at this club this season?

Nope.

Oh dear, not another pointless comparison between fact and fiction. You simply don't know. If Guly hadn't been at the club we would have drafted in a replacement and the replacement would have played in front a great midfield with a class strike partner. I think it's reasonable to suggest that any half decent centre forward would do well in Gulys position.

Oh dear, not another pointless comparison between fact and fiction. You simply don't know. If Guly hadn't been at the club we would have drafted in a replacement and the replacement would have played in front a great midfield with a class strike partner. I think it's reasonable to suggest that any half decent centre forward would do well in Gulys position.

Barnard?

how hard is it to just say...he did not play that well but popped up to nod the ball in twice....regardless of last week or next week..

he was not the worst player on the pitch..but probably the worst saints player (someone has to be).....still, contributes for the team at vital times

I agree with you. I just noted with interest once I got back that when he scored, a host of posters were quick to start pouring scorn on those who had expressed their frustration at him in recent weeks, as if scoring a couple of goals somehow negated previous poor performances or rendered them less poor somehow.

It's a really odd attitude.

I'm pleased he got the goals today, that's good. Control was much better today, no star jumps, used his chest to effectively ping the ball back to Cork a few times. Still offside a lot though, and doesn't make a great effort to run back from offside positions. I think he was helped a lot by their defence not knowing how to play an offside trap - the amount of times they shouted and appealed for offside and it wasn't remotely offside was ridiculous.

However, do any of us honestly think he'll put in a decent performance like that away from home? Got to say I'm doubtful.

A striker that scores goals ? What a novel idea !! I see the forum mongs are out in force again !

9 goals in a competitive league hardly a poor show eh ?

It's not. Today, I just think his game was a bit off. He did however leap like a salmon twice to win us the game. I have no problem with that but will be honest and say he never really played that well

I'm pleased he got the goals today, that's good. Control was much better today, no star jumps, used his chest to effectively ping the ball back to Cork a few times. Still offside a lot though, and doesn't make a great effort to run back from offside positions. I think he was helped a lot by their defence not knowing how to play an offside trap - the amount of times they shouted and appealed for offside and it wasn't remotely offside was ridiculous.

However, do any of us honestly think he'll put in a decent performance like that away from home? Got to say I'm doubtful.

That's just it. I only do aways now and normally he's crap.

I'm never sure what to think of Guly, at times he can be unplayable but other times he can struggle to get into the game at all.

I do think the stick he gets from fans in the Northam and Kingsland North is uncalled for. Guly always has his better games at St. Mary's when the crowd are behind him, sadly one misplaced pass or poor judgement and the crowd get on his back. Players like Lallana (Who has been average for a while now) don't usually get stick like Guly gets when he makes a poor piece of play.

It's almost like some of our fans want Guly to fail.

It's not. Today, I just think his game was a bit off. He did however leap like a salmon twice to win us the game. I have no problem with that but will be honest and say he never really played that well
as long as he scores I couldn't care less away I'll question his inclusion but at home he scores goals no one else got on the end of any chances today so he won us 3 points IMO ! Lineker only ever scored goals and was not considered a bad player ?

I think that is te crux of the matter. A general theme I have noticed is that people are generally more charitable if they haven't been to a lot of away games. Having done most of them this year, I think you see how poor guly can be more frequently. I really think we should consider something different away.

as long as he scores I couldn't care less away I'll question his inclusion but at home he scores goals no one else got on the end of any chances today so he won us 3 points IMO ! Lineker only ever scored goals and was not considered a bad player ?

Linekar was a world class striker who did it the world over and at world cup semi finals... Quite what that has to do with anything..

Anyway, very happy today. Guly won us the game just commenting that his all round play was not good IMO. But hey ho, no drama

How many times has Guly played for Brazil?

That's just it. I only do aways now and normally he's crap.

Unlucky. I only go to home games. He's one of these players that either has a two or three out of ten or an eight or nine. No middle ground really.

I think that is te crux of the matter. A general theme I have noticed is that people are generally more charitable if they haven't been to a lot of away games. Having done most of them this year, I think you see how poor guly can be more frequently. I really think we should consider something different away.

Again, I can only get to home games, some of them he chips in with goals and you have to salute that, other times he's making the easy things look bloody difficult.

I'm never sure what to think of Guly, at times he can be unplayable but other times he can struggle to get into the game at all.

I do think the stick he gets from fans in the Northam and Kingsland North is uncalled for. Guly always has his better games at St. Mary's when the crowd are behind him, sadly one misplaced pass or poor judgement and the crowd get on his back. Players like Lallana (Who has been average for a while now) don't usually get stick like Guly gets when he makes a poor piece of play.

It's almost like some of our fans want Guly to fail.

Oh do me a favour - that's a load of absolute ********.

The guy is inconsistent, there should be no problem in pointing that out.

If he scores goals, brilliant. If he chips in with an assist or two, great. If he plays well, I'll say so. When he's jumping in the air with his limbs flailing wildly when trying to control the ball and it goes straight to a defender, which then causes him to have the body language of a sulking child and goes missing, I'll say so then as well. Saying a fan wants a player to fail is a bogus line for someone who doesn't want to accept someone has a different opinion to them.

I think this is rubbish. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Exactly.

It's true, but let's not pretend we'd have a brilliant away record just if Guly was replaced away. The general attitude and team performances haven't been as good away, defensive and attack.

I agree, but I do think playing guly away hasn't helped matters. It's almost like he is surprised sometimes when opposing players have the temerity to close him down quickly.

Don't know how long this forum site has been going, but if it was around at the time of Matty no doubt all you Guly knockers would be saying the same about him! Yes he makes mistakes, but look at the likes of LLana, he loses the ball just as much etc. but seems immune to critisiscm. For **** sake he makes errors, but is still scoring goals. What does Lambert do that does not allow critisiscm, some of his passes are just as bad, but does he track back as far as Guly? Why do people need to pick on one player who is actually scoring goals? If it isn't for a goal you are not going to win a game,

Don't know how long this forum site has been going, but if it was around at the time of Matty no doubt all you Guly knockers would be saying the same about him! Yes he makes mistakes, but look at the likes of LLana, he loses the ball just as much etc. but seems immune to critisiscm. For **** sake he makes errors, but is still scoring goals. What does Lambert do that does not allow critisiscm, some of his passes are just as bad, but does he track back as far as Guly? Why do people need to pick on one player who is actually scoring goals? If it isn't for a goal you are not going to win a game,

Both fair points. If I had to put my finger on why Lallana doesn't get as much stick, it's because he genuinely looks up for it whereas Guly doesn't help himself with negative body language. As for picking on a player that's scoring goals, as I said, I'm very pleased he scored twice, the real test is if he keeps it up.

The guy is inconsistent, there should be no problem in pointing that out.

So is Lallana but there are several posters on this forum that would jump to defend him if anyone gave him the criticism that Guly gets.

Lallana can make lose the ball by trying to do too much with it (like he always does) yet gets a good reaction from the crowd but one bad pass from Guly and he's suddenly got the crowd on his bad.

So is Lallana but there are several posters on this forum that would jump to defend him if anyone gave him the criticism that Guly gets.

Lallana can make lose the ball by trying to do too much with it (like he always does) yet gets a good reaction from the crowd but one bad pass from Guly and he's suddenly got the crowd on his bad.

Well Adam is a local ish lad, and of course he doesnt have a foreign complexion.

I have never understood the logic behind, "all he did was score 2 goals". That's his job, to put the ball in the net or assist others in putting the ball in the net. I doesn't to be pretty, he don't have to make a perfect play every time he gets the ball. If he is scoring goals then he is doing his job. I remember all the stick Rasiak used to get, "uhh, he's slow/awkward/lazy" and Crouch when we first got him, "ughh, lanky uncoordinated, touch of a rapist" etc. Give me a player who puts the ball in the net over some ball of energy or a fancy dan who doesn't score, ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

Guly got so much abuse from the Northam today, even after his 2 goals. Connolly then came on and manged to absolutely f**k up his first 3 touches of the ball....... but noooooo we're not allowed to say bad things about Connolly.

Most of our fans are mongs, and Guly is the new scapegoat.

This. Anyway hes in good company. I can remember Benali getting booed every time the team was read out before the game. There was a lot of fans who slagged Alan Ball during games and even fans who called MLT *gulp* lazy (that was before it became illegal to criticize him).

He has done so IMO at Ipswich, Leicester, Derby and Coventry, to name four or the eight away I've done. Nobody was great at Donny or Bristol City, I acknowledge he was poor at P*mpey.

Come on now, you arent deriously cpmparing guly with MLT are you???

Most of the game Guly did his jogging back from an offside position thing. No movement, very little passing, lost control of the ball a lot, missed important through balls, but scored two nod ins. Surely would have been subbed just before his second. I'd have taken him off at half time. Mind you, Connelly looked very rusty. Oh well, can remember another player who used to drift in and out of games and win them with a bit of le genius...

Guly got so much abuse from the Northam today, even after his 2 goals. Connolly then came on and manged to absolutely f**k up his first 3 touches of the ball....... but noooooo we're not allowed to say bad things about Connolly.

Most of our fans are mongs, and Guly is the new scapegoat.

To be fair football has always been like that. I personally could not give a flying **** what the Northam think. You only have to look at the OS pictures with Schneiderlin and see SDR and Guly after the game to realise that the players love Guly to bits. I honestly thought he would be out of his depth in this league but now I'm thinking he can probably do a job in the Premiership. I've been to a few games this season with neutrals (home and away) and the consistent remark was 'who is that guy - he's everywhere...'. Even on his quiet days he's pulling markers off Lambo and Lallana to give them more space. On the basis that we generally have players like Barnard and Connolly on the bench to shake things up if he does go missing I really do not see what the problem is.

Can't help thinking that there's a few bandwagon jumpers slagging Guly off. He played deep yesterday and covered a hell of a lot of ground across the pitch. He did ok for me. There were 1 or 2 of ours that we're a little off their games yesterday, but I

'm not going to slag them off.

Can't help thinking that there's a few bandwagon jumpers slagging Guly off. He played deep yesterday and covered a hell of a lot of ground across the pitch. He did ok for me. There were 1 or 2 of ours that we're a little off their games yesterday, but I

who is slagging him off..?

just saying his game was not that great yesterday....on a guly thread that someone brought up..

What do you mean jumping on the bandwagon? Could it not be that this is what people honestly think? I mean sure no need to go overboard by saying he was awful or anything, but he didn't have the greatest of games. No harm in telling it like it is.