Give Guly a break...

sambosa75

What do you mean jumping on the bandwagon? Could it not be that this is what people honestly think? I mean sure no need to go overboard by saying he was awful or anything, but he didn't have the greatest of games. No harm in telling it like it is.
In your opinion, which I disagree with. But what about Lambert? How many people are having a go at him for yesterday, he wasn't at his best.

amazing how defensive people get...christ, just saying on a Guly thread that his overall game was below par (to his standards).....
you seem to have a problem with anyone who disagrees with you. I thought Guly did well in a deep role, covered a lot of ground and made a bit of space for those around him. Oh, and he scored 2 goals.

you seem to have a problem with anyone who disagrees with you. I thought Guly did well in a deep role, covered a lot of ground and made a bit of space for those around him. Oh, and he scored 2 goals.

I have not got a problem..where have I got a problem...just commenting on that I DID NOT THINK he played that well.....

Why would I bring up a Lambert thread? He has been outstanding this season, and 1 below par game does not warrant a lynching.

where is the lynching..? seriously...

why can't you say a player never really played well

lambert had an off day, as did lallana..

morgan, cork, hooiveld and richardson with de ridder were brilliant......is that ok to say too...?

where is the lynching..? seriously...

why can't you say a player never really played well

lambert had an off day, as did lallana..

morgan, cork, hooiveld and richardson with de ridder were brilliant......is that ok to say too...?

Not having a go at you personally. It's just that I think that people are quick to slag off Guly, as the Northam did a bit yesterday, and a few on here have, without being objective. You're right about Morgan though, he was pure class yesterday.

Not having a go at you personally. It's just that I think that people are quick to slag off Guly, as the Northam did a bit yesterday, and a few on here have, without being objective. You're right about Morgan though, he was pure class yesterday.

well don't take it out on me...just saying I don't think he played that well......on a thread about Guly

I also thought lambert and lallana we pretty average yesterday....if that is OK...?

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Thedelldays viewpost-right.png

bring up a lambert thread and people will..

The point for me is some in the stadium go mental when Guly messes up, and yet when any other player does something similar you hear those people shout "unlucky Lambo" and applaud them.

For me, Ricky represents the fan on the pitch more than any other player at Saints, including Lallana and why he gets treated differently. What I cannot understand is how much snow blindness comes with that position as you point out.

At the present time Ricky is in a rich vein of form and I have no complaints, but that has not always been the case. Earlier parts of this season have been iffy and parts of last season were dreadful and deserving of not being started or subbed. With the position we are in at this moment with Lallana and Guly not hitting their boot straps, it all falls on Ricky. The further forward Ricky plays, the less we get out of him but do get more from others. The further forward Guly plays the same is true to an extent and Ricky looks better. It's what is best for the team but there is little doubt that it ends up with at least one player compromising their performance for the team to the betterment of others. The main problem being that Ricky is not a natural #9, but #10. That's why I would have no problem if we brought in someone like Jutkiewicz, with some saying he is too similar to Ricky. I can't see any way he would be getting in Ricky's way, just adding to what Ricky delivers. With that system Guly has a lot more to offer when he is on form, resulting in less play time for Ricky.

But if you lok at our style of play, we have produced wonderful football without an out and out #9 and is the way to go forward IMHO. That would mean the addition of pace in someone like Maynard who wont allow their back four to press up without consequences and adding so much more to the attacking line up.

Matt Oakley

Steve Baker

Keith Cassells & David Puckett was always the ones that I remember most.

Oakley? really?

I remember being at oxford away 87 ish, as the teams were warming up the announcer read out the teams, when he said steve baker there was a few saints that boo'ed, baker gave us the v sign :lol:

Can't blame him really, but god he was s hite, Ray wallace is another.

Come on now, you arent deriously cpmparing guly with MLT are you???

Of course i am not, no one comes close to lacing Mattys boots. But what I was trying to get accross is that if this forum site was around when Matty was, then there would be loads of idiots having a go at him. Guly makes mistakes and is immediately picked out, others can make just as many mistakes but are immune. Matty would sometimes be singled out by idiots "what has Matty done today" all this after he had scored the only goal in the game, and for the best part of it looked disinterested.

Guly is a great player - when he turns up. I have seen him play fantasically well this season but I have also seen him struggle. I defended him against detractors in the match against Doncaster but i thought he was pretty poor against Pompey. He scored two great goals against Palace and long may it continue.

He's a marmite player and certainly does my nut but I'd have him on the teamsheet every week, that said, he was sh it at Fratton, Brizzle and Derby.

I'm confused and need a lie down!!

Those on about fans needing a scapegoat player are spot on, I sit next to one!

was it that guy sort of behind me......?? he was berating guly the whole game...

Nah, Corky Morris.

The cock behind you usually slags off Fox!

It's not about having a scapegoat because Guly can play rubbish when we win which contradicts that argument. Just because I don't see all the things you see in him does not make me right or you wrong or visa versa.

As I have said before, the guy has undoubted talent, but sometimes he lacks in effort.

Mind you - at least I can acknowledge when I am wrong unlike someone I know!!!!

We're never going to agree whether he is great or crap - but a healthy debate never harmed anyone. That said I fail to see how contributions like "he's a crap footballer" or "he's just lazy" adds much. Adkins sees the matches too (and even has the luxury of seeing Guly in training and knowing what job he is supposed to do during games!), so I find it hard to accept that Guly is just a lazy no-good footballer. So maybe we could be a little more constructive or illustrative when discussing him?

In some ways he is the opposite of a player like Scott Parker who (like Chaplow) brings energy and aggression (and other plus-words: drive, commitment etc.) whereas Guly's contribution is more difficult to see and understand. Parker makes a lot of ball-winning tackles and often goes for the simple, short pass to the nearest team mate. That's his job; stress the opponent, win the ball, deliver it at the feet of a team mate with better passing skills, in a better position, with license to roam etc.

Guly is one of those players that Parker would pass the ball to and expect to deliver something "creative". He would probably make an excellent playmaker linking up midfield and strikers, but that sort of position seems to have left modern football with the rising prominence of the 4-5-1.

When he is played as a winger, some of his weaknesses are exploited, as he doesn't threat the fullbacks like for instance de Ridder and he leaves a lot of the defending for his team mates behind him. He is no clear cut striker either, as he is not a big, strong player like Lambert, a nippy Defoe-type or even a predator like Connolly. But in both positions he has managed to add something to the team. When played as a winger he is able to work in tight spaces and always makes himself available to the defenders. When played as a striker he's linking up well with players around him though he can be a little light-weight when we are defending. His heading is surprisingly good and he times his runs very well.

To me the crucial question is: is his link-up play good? Does he help the midfield get the ball forward, does he set up his team mates for goal-scoring chances?

My views are based on whatever material has been available online - mostly from live streaming and SaintsPlayer. What are the views of those who see him live? And no, "he's useless" wont do... (cue loads of one-liners...)

Was Jermaine Wright a scapegoat or was he genuinely ****? For that matter, what was Jason Euell?

Both. Wright was a below average player, well past his very limited best. Yes he was sh*te, but he got a lot of unfair stick because he was engraved on Burley's team sheet. Don't think I've ever been as angry at a game of football as Saints 0-3 Watford in 2007. Wright played LB, Euell played LM. Both were complete gash and we had Vignal and Skacel on the bench. Dear God, those were dark days. I actually hated the last season of Burley's era more than the Wotte/Portaloo era.

Euell seemed to play 30 odd games a season and put in 5 decent performances in each other them. Some people were fooled into thinking he was alright. I always thought he was a donkey. Completely forgettable scoring record too.

Guly is inconsistent, but seems to chip in with the goals. He's a bit like Rasiak IMO. Yes he scored 2 goals, but he isn't beyond criticism for his performance just because of that. A decent performance against Palace doesn't erase his Pompey performance, or prove his doubters wrong. Similarly a poor performance on Friday wont make yesterday's performance crap.

How about a player we can all agree on. Darren Powell. Christ alive he was dreadful.

Edited by Lighthouse

Don't think I've ever been as angry at a game of football as Saints 0-3 Watford in 2007. Wright played LB, Euell played LM. Both were complete gash and we had Vignal and Skacel on the bench. Dear God, those were dark days. I actually hated the last season of Burley's era more than the Wotte/Portaloo era.

Dark days indeed, when Watford's 3rd went in guy in front of me in Kingsland walked down to the pitch and threw his season ticket onto the pitch and walked out. I wonder if he ever came back.

Jordan Sibley answers a question about the legitimacy of Guly's twitter account:

@hellssfc: @jordansibley is @gu11guly real?

@jordansibley: Yep, and I bet his English will be better on here than when I ask him to speak to press!!

Sneaky b*stard that Guly ;)

Guly is a great player - when he turns up. I have seen him play fantasically well this season but I have also seen him struggle. I defended him against detractors in the match against Doncaster but i thought he was pretty poor against Pompey. He scored two great goals against Palace and long may it continue.
Guly is fine against teams who don't press and harry us i.e. Palace.......Also evidently doesn't like playing away .....ummmm..........