Give Guly a break...

sambosa75

I haven't yet read the rest of this thread, but I really felt the need to respond to this post. Guly recently DID ask to be substituted. His running was lazy. He rarely even jumped for the headers he should have been winning. His first touch was abysmal. He didn't look the slightest bit interested. Not ****ing good enough for a promotion chasing team, even if he does pull out a nice trick once in every 5 games.

You obviously have no clue at all. By all means criticise the guy for having a bad game, thats fair enough, but to say all he does is pull a trick once every five games is astonishing and plain wrong. Whatever anyone thinks about his heading, touch etc, you cannot deny that he creates and gets into space to make good chances for himself and his team mates.

Against Blackpool he put RL clean through for 2-0 and game over yet RL missed for a change. Yesterday while having a bad game he was the only one that found space in the box other than one set piece from which RL scored.

I am amazed that people cannot see the bigger picture and understand that the guy's strengths are his movement and ability to unlock a defence. He is also not a bad finisher, hence the reason he has one of the best goals / assists record in the NPC. Basically, he's ****e in the air and sometimes shows a bad touch but for me what he creates by far outweighs his weaknesses even though its sometimes frustrating to watch.

It also surprises me that Lallana gets off scot free for slowing attacks down constantly by not moving the ball quickly enough and trying his tricks which are not coming off. To be fair to him I wouldn't want to criticise him too much either but it just seems fans favourites like AL are untouchable because it looks like they run around a lot. I suspect that if AL was on that post and did the same then everyone would shrug their shoulders and say "well, hes not really a defender"

You obviously have no clue at all. By all means criticise the guy for having a bad game, thats fair enough, but to say all he does is pull a trick once every five games is astonishing and plain wrong. Whatever anyone thinks about his heading, touch etc, you cannot deny that he creates and gets into space to make good chances for himself and his team mates.

Against Blackpool he put RL clean through for 2-0 and game over yet RL missed for a change. Yesterday while having a bad game he was the only one that found space in the box other than one set piece from which RL scored.

I am amazed that people cannot see the bigger picture and understand that the guy's strengths are his movement and ability to unlock a defence. He is also not a bad finisher, hence the reason he has one of the best goals / assists record in the NPC. Basically, he's ****e in the air and sometimes shows a bad touch but for me what he creates by far outweighs his weaknesses even though its sometimes frustrating to watch.

It also surprises me that Lallana gets off scot free for slowing attacks down constantly by not moving the ball quickly enough and trying his tricks which are not coming off. To be fair to him I wouldn't want to criticise him too much either but it just seems fans favourites like AL are untouchable because it looks like they run around a lot. I suspect that if AL was on that post and did the same then everyone would shrug their shoulders and say "well, hes not really a defender"

Ok, I was exaggerating on the '5 games' comment. I was p*ssed and still disappointed having just seen the game back after getting in from the pub. I just can't understand how he can go from brilliant one game to not even remotely looking like a pro footballer in another.

I think that if Nige had other options then Guly would have been dragged off after an hour. Everyone else stepped up and were brilliant, he didn't and he was poor.

Reminds me of Beattie apart from Guly cannot seem to click away from home. Gives his all in home games, does not stop running, and has scored some great goals. Away from home I think it will come from him, it took a while at home.

I think he is a really good player at this level, and is well worth a first team place, even though he was well off his game yesterday. He WILL score against Palace.

I think the thing we need to remember is that Guly isn't really a striker and neither is he right mid either - he does a job to a greater or lesser extent but he's filling in because we've needed him to do so. Probably his best position is at the tip of a diamond but we've got better players than him if we play that formation and I'm not really a fan of it either. His first touch just isn't good enough most of the time to play up front on a consistent basis and for a bloke his size he really should be better in the air than he is. What's amazing to me is that we're top goalscorers, top of the league and yet for much of that we've had a makeshift striker.

My hope is that in January that if/when we get a proper striker in that it shows us a different dimension and far more clinical than we've been recently. I think Ricky in particular will benefit as well. To be fair you can also say the same of Morgan - he really shouldn't be playing right mid but he's doing a job and there's no one else (if NA doesn't rate SDR) that can do it.

So there's a few positives there - Chappy coming back, a new striker and a conventional right winger/ right mid player sees us looking quite strong again. For striker I'd prefer Maynard because he has pace as well as goals but Sharp wouldn't be too bad either. Forest's McGugan is a good shout out wide but the good thing is that there are enough players out there that should be realistic targets for us that will improve us.

Ok, I was exaggerating on the '5 games' comment. I was p*ssed and still disappointed having just seen the game back after getting in from the pub. I just can't understand how he can go from brilliant one game to not even remotely looking like a pro footballer in another.

I think that if Nige had other options then Guly would have been dragged off after an hour. Everyone else stepped up and were brilliant, he didn't and he was poor.

Guys, lets be serious. Guly was awful, even is he did find space, his touch was crap. He can't hold the ball up, puts us under pressure when we should've been attacking. Interestingly i don't think the goal was his fault. Was never going to get there before the defender, BBC just decided he should've and people love to jump on the wagon.. We should have won yesterday, it's not Guly's fault we didnt, he just played crap and generally does when we play away.

Completely agree that he was poor yesterday (but overall he deserves his place) but disagree that everyone was great. As a mate of mine who is a Pompey fan summed up ... to quote "I was over the moon with a point and just pleased you didn't bring your A game" Personally, I thought we were below par again and have been for a few games now. Not just a Guly thing but the whole team seem to have dropped a little compared to the early season form although its probably more to do with the fact that our start was nothing short of amazing and I expected a down turn sometime. Just hope we can snap out and regain some momentum in our next 2 league games.

Hope you're hangover is not too bad Jack!

If you concede that he is a flair player, in the context of your point he doesn't fit the physical profile of your 'typical' flair player, I've only seen him on tv but he looks reasonably big and strong, hardly a Fabric Fernandes type, he shouldn't have any qualms about going for a 50/50. It was certainly a half-hearted attempt to block or get the ball. Seems like he didn't know whether to stick on the line or go out, in the end he did neither with conviction. I was surprised to see him still on the pitch at that time equally surprised to see him on the post. He certainly didn't have a good game.

Completely agree that he was poor yesterday (but overall he deserves his place) but disagree that everyone was great. As a mate of mine who is a Pompey fan summed up ... to quote "I was over the moon with a point and just pleased you didn't bring your A game" Personally, I thought we were below par again and have been for a few games now. Not just a Guly thing but the whole team seem to have dropped a little compared to the early season form although its probably more to do with the fact that our start was nothing short of amazing and I expected a down turn sometime. Just hope we can snap out and regain some momentum in our next 2 league games.

Hope you're hangover is not too bad Jack!

What I meant to say is everyone stepped up after half time. Was talking in the pub afterwards and thinking about how everyone played after the break.

Davis - nothing much to do, went bravely at feet a couple of times but wasn't really tested

FR - energetic, gave them problems bombing forward

Jose - Solid

Jos - Won almost everything, many people's MOTM

Fox - Great deliveries, solid at the back. Harding - maybe should have put that out for a throw rather than a corner.

Lallana - Needed to move the ball a bit quicker and get shots off/crosses in a bit sooner. However, a class above on the ball and always kept possession

Deano - Ran midfield, was everywhere.

Cork - See above. MOTM contender.

Morgan - Looked very decent today

Guly - Only disappointing 2nd half performer for me.

Lambert - An absolute beast, gave their defence a torrid time. Well taken goal, love his passion. If only that volley flew in the top corner. My MOTM.

If we'd played like that from the start we'd have battered them eventually. Just didn't do enough with the ball in the final third.

Hangover is hideous, thanks for asking! Wisely booked the day off work.

having looked at the replays he'd of done well to have won that header. He had to go whole hog, but as soon as he looked at the player coming towards him it was all over. At that point all he could have done was take one for the team and in all honesty the number of Saints players that I'd put money on doing that decreases a little bit. In other words I blame him far less than the cock on BBC did several times.
If he had have stayed in his zone instead of getting himself in nomansland between the far post and the 6 yard line the ball would have dropped on his head. Saying that he didn't won a header all match, so it may be a hell of an assumption he would have won it even then. Edited by krissyboy31

im sorry, he gets vastly rewarded and applauded for doing well......at times people will have a pop when it is a bit OTT....but today he was a complete passenger and in a game like that......just not acceptable....constantly gave the ball away....awful touch......and lost out on so many headers.........next week might be a different story..............I would have taken guly off and had de ridder on for the last 15-10 mins myself.....anyway, still top of the league

He has games like that. It goes with the territory, he's a flair player and sometimes things don't work for him.

Having been at the match and then watched it again when I got in, I thought the BBC's editorial on him was unfair to say the least. If he'd done his job and stayed on the line (he'd obviously been coached to drop onto the line when the cross goes to the far post, as his starting position was where the goal was scored from) and not taken responsibility to close Ward down no-one would have been claiming he "bottled" anything. He'd have been doing his job on the line and someone else would be getting the b0llocking they deserve for not marking Ward. It sure as hell wasn't Guly's man.

In addition to that, he had 3 chances, miskicked one early on under pressure, scuffed one across the face that would usually be turned in, and forced one good save when he barely knew the ball was in front of him. A little bit languid on the ball, most of his passes went to teammates, but he sensibly stayed out of making crappy striker tackles and getting the crowd more into it.

Basically he's worth his place and gives us something we don't have from anyone else. An alternative target man AND possession footballer who does the unexpected and has a bit of pace where needed. No-one that I know of has slated Lambert for not making Lallana's through pass out wide on the break because he wasn't fast enough, let's not slate Guly for not being a completely different kind of player either.

Though I do agree that de Ridder should have got a run when it went 1-1, I believe it was Mattock (who is on loan from West Brom) that he took to pieces pre-season on his debut.

If he had have stayed in his zone instead of getting himself in nomansland between the far post and the 6 yard line the ball would have dropped on his head. Saying that he didn't won a header all match, so it may be a hell of an assumption he would have won it even then.

Pretty sure his job was to mark the zone, then drop to the goal-line because the ball went to the far post from the corner. The only way he'd have stopped Ward's header was to play for the block by jumping later, rather than try and leap in and find himself on the way down as the header was won.

I think Guly has been harshly criticised on this forum in the past but I have to agree he was absolute pants yesterday. Gave it away countless times and didnt work hard at all. He is a luxury player away from home and either goes from sublime to mediocre way too often for my liking.

Agreed...so why on earth didnt our management team sub him...cripes we have enough in the dugout to see what nearly everyone else could see needed doing.

I’ve never rated Guly but have always given him the benefit of the doubt. After yesterday I never want to see him wear a saints shirt again. We had 10 players giving it their all absolutely blowing out of their arse for the cause! Guly was just uninterested. Moving away from the ball, walking round sulking, clearly didn’t understand what the game meant. He could have lost every ball, missed every tackle but if you could see him gritting his teeth and getting stuck in we couldn’t have asked for more! Don’t know what were missing but I just don’t know what Adkins sees in him. Get De Ridder on and let him prove himself.

He has games like that. It goes with the territory, he's a flair player and sometimes things don't work for him.

Having been at the match and then watched it again when I got in, I thought the BBC's editorial on him was unfair to say the least. If he'd done his job and stayed on the line (he'd obviously been coached to drop onto the line when the cross goes to the far post, as his starting position was where the goal was scored from) and not taken responsibility to close Ward down no-one would have been claiming he "bottled" anything. He'd have been doing his job on the line and someone else would be getting the b0llocking they deserve for not marking Ward. It sure as hell wasn't Guly's man.

It's difficult to see as the camera starts zoomed in on the corner taker, but it's interesting that I've not seen it mentioned that Lallana was the nearest player to Ward as the ball came back across, but was stood watching.

Good thread, I think Guly is a terrific footballer with a great touch and I don't understand this constant criticism of him. Lallana has been poor since returning from injury and looks scared to shoot at goal but everyone gets behind him. Luckily it's only Adkins opinion that counts and he obviously rates them both! I have yet to be impressed by SdeR!

And a last point to those who say Guly is poor in the air he has scored a couple of great goals with his head, Middlesborough game I think!!

I think the thing we need to remember is that Guly isn't really a striker and neither is he right mid either - he does a job to a greater or lesser extent but he's filling in because we've needed him to do so. Probably his best position is at the tip of a diamond but we've got better players than him if we play that formation and I'm not really a fan of it either. His first touch just isn't good enough most of the time to play up front on a consistent basis and for a bloke his size he really should be better in the air than he is. What's amazing to me is that we're top goalscorers, top of the league and yet for much of that we've had a makeshift striker.

My hope is that in January that if/when we get a proper striker in that it shows us a different dimension and far more clinical than we've been recently. I think Ricky in particular will benefit as well. To be fair you can also say the same of Morgan - he really shouldn't be playing right mid but he's doing a job and there's no one else (if NA doesn't rate SDR) that can do it.

So there's a few positives there - Chappy coming back, a new striker and a conventional right winger/ right mid player sees us looking quite strong again. For striker I'd prefer Maynard because he has pace as well as goals but Sharp wouldn't be too bad either. Forest's McGugan is a good shout out wide but the good thing is that there are enough players out there that should be realistic targets for us that will improve us.

Herewith the NP Championship goalscorers :

Npower Championship Top Scorers

Lambert Southampton 15

McCormack Leeds 10

Andrews Ipswich 9

Henderson Millwall 9

Sharp Doncaster 9

Wood Birmingham 9

Austin Burnley 8

Davies Barnsley 8

Fryatt Hull 8

Jutkiewicz Coventry 8

McCann Peterborough 8

Snodgrass Leeds 8

Chopra Ipswich 7

Cole West Ham 7

Guly Southampton 7

League goals only.

Looks to me like the 'proper' strikers like Billy Sharp are not so far ahead of Guly and bear in mind that he does not always play in the striker's role (ie. early in the season when Connolly was up front with Lambo!).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another couple of quality signings but I think that we need some perspective in the Guly discussion !

Ps. Maynard and Rodrigues are not even on the list !

Edited by eurosaint

Good thread, I think Guly is a terrific footballer with a great touch and I don't understand this constant criticism of him. Lallana has been poor since returning from injury and looks scared to shoot at goal but everyone gets behind him. Luckily it's only Adkins opinion that counts and he obviously rates them both! I have yet to be impressed by SdeR!

And a last point to those who say Guly is poor in the air he has scored a couple of great goals with his head, Middlesborough game I think!!

Which exactly why it's so infuriating that he didn't really try to win a header yesterday. He will sort of jump in the direction of a high ball, but not make a proper challenge for it like he should. We know he can use his head, but he bottled it several times.

This is what annoys me, he can be a brilliant player at times, but with more effort, concentration, and a bit of bottle he could be consistently brilliant.

Herewith the NP Championship goalscorers :

Npower Championship Top Scorers

Lambert Southampton 15

McCormack Leeds 10

Andrews Ipswich 9

Henderson Millwall 9

Sharp Doncaster 9

Wood Birmingham 9

Austin Burnley 8

Davies Barnsley 8

Fryatt Hull 8

Jutkiewicz Coventry 8

McCann Peterborough 8

Snodgrass Leeds 8

Chopra Ipswich 7

Cole West Ham 7

Guly Southampton 7

League goals only.

Looks to me like the 'proper' strikers like Billy Sharp are not so far ahead of Guly and bear in mind that he does not always play in the striker's role (ie. early in the season when Connolly was up front with Lambo!).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another couple of quality signings but I think that we need some perspective in the Guly discussion !

Ps. Maynard and Rodrigues are not even on the list !

Notoriously difficult quoting stats because they really don't tell the whole story. Far more telling would be goals to shots ratio or even how many shots on target. Then of course you have to consider the respective teams they play in. Ultimately though it comes down to individual judgement and I'm by no means saying Guly is a bad player but I don't think he's a natural striker either. To be honest looking at the goalscorer list shows how good Sharp is - he's missed a fair number of games and plays for a team at the bottom of the table. So what you've shown is that there are affordable players out there that would do a better job. Ta.

Notoriously difficult quoting stats because they really don't tell the whole story. Far more telling would be goals to shots ratio or even how many shots on target. Then of course you have to consider the respective teams they play in. Ultimately though it comes down to individual judgement and I'm by no means saying Guly is a bad player but I don't think he's a natural striker either. To be honest looking at the goalscorer list shows how good Sharp is - he's missed a fair number of games and plays for a team at the bottom of the table. So what you've shown is that there are affordable players out there that would do a better job. Ta.

Wasn't trying to score a point Revo, just showing that Guly is not the useless git that some would make him out to be (someone even said "he should never wear the shirt again"!).

Even with Rickie as the talisman, he chips in with his fair share of goals and assists !

I also accept that stats are not the be all and end all, but it is quite important to make a subjective assessment rather than spit out vitriol as many seem prone to (not you by the way!).

hasn't sharp been out for a fair few games...?

hasn't he been playing in a struggling team.....I bet donny do not create any where near the chances we do

Fair enough and I'd love to sign him, but best we don't assume that he is a racehorse and Guly is a donkey !!

To me, regardless of if Ward is Guly's man, when he makes the decision to leave the post and close the header down, he has to go right through it. Instead he pulls his head away, put his back in and pushed to the floor and we draw when we could of quite easily won. His commitment in that one moment is awful, let alone the rest of the game.

To me, regardless of if Ward is Guly's man, when he makes the decision to leave the post and close the header down, he has to go right through it. Instead he pulls his head away, put his back in and pushed to the floor and we draw when we could of quite easily won. His commitment in that one moment is awful, let alone the rest of the game.

Ward was at the best I can see Lallana's man, but TBH nobody gave a particularly decent job of marking a man that had a reasonable presence in both our box and on the pitch in general, Fonte was trying to do a decent enough job of keeping someone from making the header.

The way I see it, Harding should never have panicked and belted it out for a corner, Thorne should never have jumped higher then the 3 !! Saints players he beat for the first header and then Lallana just watched as Ward had a free header at the goal, and easily a 10 -15 yard run up.

There was no way Guly could have won that with the run up Ward had, and having marked the post before you really are stuck in that position, do I challenge ? Do I stay on the post ?? Basically you are thinking 'Oh f*ck'

Perhaps he could have gone in more committed ? And perhaps he would have given away a penatly to more abuse, I don't know.

We didn't win at the end of the day, but we definately didn't lose and we are top for crimbo, frankly the fact that Saints fans always have to have a scapegoat, be it Lallana a few years back, through wotton, Hammond, Guly, Papa etc is frankly pathetic.

Ward was at the best I can see Lallana's man, but TBH nobody gave a particularly decent job of marking a man that had a reasonable presence in both our box and on the pitch in general, Fonte was trying to do a decent enough job of keeping someone from making the header.

The way I see it, Harding should never have panicked and belted it out for a corner, Thorne should never have jumped higher then the 3 !! Saints players he beat for the first header and then Lallana just watched as Ward had a free header at the goal, and easily a 10 -15 yard run up.

There was no way Guly could have won that with the run up Ward had, and having marked the post before you really are stuck in that position, do I challenge ? Do I stay on the post ?? Basically you are thinking 'Oh f*ck'

Perhaps he could have gone in more committed ? And perhaps he would have given away a penatly to more abuse, I don't know.

We didn't win at the end of the day, but we definately didn't lose and we are top for crimbo, frankly the fact that Saints fans always have to have a scapegoat, be it Lallana a few years back, through wotton, Hammond, Guly, Papa etc is frankly pathetic.

Hear, hear !!

Wasn't trying to score a point Revo, just showing that Guly is not the useless git that some would make him out to be (someone even said "he should never wear the shirt again"!).

Even with Rickie as the talisman, he chips in with his fair share of goals and assists !

I also accept that stats are not the be all and end all, but it is quite important to make a subjective assessment rather than spit out vitriol as many seem prone to (not you by the way!).

Cheers, to be honest we're probably singing from the same hymn sheet here. I'd never slag the guy off because he has done well for us and not in his natural position either so fair play to him. As I mentioned you could say the same about Morgan as well. Both of them have put a shift in when the odds were against them so, in my case at least, it's no criticism when I think we need additions to the squad. Hopefully we look back in May and thank Guly for his part in a promotion campaign but if he were to carry on in that starting striker role I think we may regret it.

Time has passed and i have calmed down a lot.......

On reflection i can now conclude.......... Guly is an **** and can kiss my ass (both cheeks!) A lazy gimp that cost us 3 points yesterday! Unforgivable performance!!

Going by your "logic" he actually cost us 2 points yeasterday. The man has scored 8 goals this season and had a high number of assists. He did have a bad game yesterday - no doubt - but there are too many people who just don`t like him. It`s as simple as that. If he had scored 20 goals so far but still appeared "A lazy gimp" I have no doubt that your overall opinion would be the same.

Guly was truly dreadful yesterday and for the life of me I can't understand why he wasn't subbed. Lallana is a class player but make wrong decisions and over elaborates. Very diappointed with the result. A match we could and shoudl have won. And as for Guly's half hearted attempted at that defensive header - just embarrassing.

Guly was truly dreadful yesterday and for the life of me I can't understand why he wasn't subbed. Lallana is a class player but make wrong decisions and over elaborates. Very diappointed with the result. A match we could and shoudl have won. And as for Guly's half hearted attempted at that defensive header - just embarrassing.

How did he play today because I think he is one of our best players

For a trully awful player without a first touch and who never goes for a header he didn't do to badly and scored two headers...

I remember somebody else who didn't go up for headers. His initials were MLT.

I also noted that he has slowed down his game (Guly that is), and as a result he loses the ball. Whilst a great admirer of his I don't really think he has been on top form lately. But 9 goals scored tells a story for those who want to listen.

A enigma, wrapped up in a mystery, that was posted in a unaddressed envelope - I don't know what to make of him, I don't even think his manager does in all honesty.

Obviously the Guly fan club will be on here now citing the two points he undoubtedly gained us today as evidence of what a great player he is, and who can blame them ? The evidence of my eyes however tells me that (for prolonged periods) he's just not a very good footballer at all. It's almost like he's akin to a low-rent version of Demitar Berbatov - you wonder sometimes what he does exactly only for him to then do something special.

But just like Berbatov's limited opportunity's at MUFC of late, it's been my observation that football managers ultimately tend to prefer players who can deliver a good performance for them reliably rather than their more enigmatic counterparts.

the worst player on the pitch scored both goals today but saying that, my gran would've put them away from 2 yards.

the second goal was a poor header as well, straight at the keeper who dived out of the way!!!

Whatever.

He was not the worst player on the pitch. That is a fact.

the worst player on the pitch scored both goals today but saying that' date=' [b']my gran would've put them away[/b] from 2 yards.

the second goal was a poor header as well, straight at the keeper who dived out of the way!!!

I really hate this argument; would your gran have had the positional sense to be there or the ability to have lost her marker in the box? Thought not.