Give Guly a break...

sambosa75

The guy has been top draw for the most part of this season, particularly in home games. I think people need to lay off him a bit. When he's banging in the goals like he did against Middlesborough and Millwall etc... no one seems to mind his laid-back, languid approach. When he's splitting defences with passes like he did last week against Blackpool for Lambert to spank a shot straight at the keeper no one seemed to complain then.

He is a luxury player at times, but his positives more than outweight his negatives. He perhaps struggles a bit in games like today when time on the ball is at a premium but give him that time on the ball and he is probably our most gifted player in terms of vision and providing a killer pass.

To be honest, I'm more frustrated with Lallana recently. He seems to want to beat his man twice everytime when once will suffice.

im sorry, he gets vastly rewarded and applauded for doing well......at times people will have a pop when it is a bit OTT....but today he was a complete passenger and in a game like that......just not acceptable....constantly gave the ball away....awful touch......and lost out on so many headers.........next week might be a different story..............I would have taken guly off and had de ridder on for the last 15-10 mins myself.....anyway, still top of the league

Manager kept him on....

Exactly. What do people want him to do? Ask to be substituted? He actually wasn't that bad. His running off the ball was good, would have scored but for a good save from their keeper, actually won quite a few headers and drew a lot of fouls. Pretty sure he was the one chopped down for their players booking when he would have otherwise put Richardson clean through on the right-wing.

I tolerated one thread on this after the Hull game, I won't tolerate another.

The guy needs to learn something called consistency. He's not a bad player but he often plays like one. Mistake to play him at all today.

It is not his fault entirely today, and it's silly to say so, but he's certainly not helped. The warning signs were there against Hull, his incredible star jump to try and control the ball which totally failed being the worst thing in memory, as well as him being easily bullied by defenders and then sulking when he didn't have the ball - and walking around feeling sorry for himself.

I don't think the guy deserved to start today. I'll repeat, I do not think he is a bad player, I do not think he alone cost us the game today, but he has got to buck his ideas up. I'm all for giving players time and I don't shout abuse at my own team's players when they're doing badly, but he is seriously testing my patience.

The guy has been top draw for the most part of this season, particularly in home games. I think people need to lay off him a bit. When he's banging in the goals like he did against Middlesborough and Millwall etc... no one seems to mind his laid-back, languid approach. When he's splitting defences with passes like he did last week against Blackpool for Lambert to spank a shot straight at the keeper no one seemed to complain then.

He is a luxury player at times, but his positives more than outweight his negatives. He perhaps struggles a bit in games like today when time on the ball is at a premium but give him that time on the ball and he is probably our most gifted player in terms of vision and providing a killer pass.

To be honest, I'm more frustrated with Lallana recently. He seems to want to beat his man twice everytime when once will suffice.

He deserves criticism today.

TBH I tend to agree with both of these posts. He has been a very important part of our season so far. A good look at his stats prove that, but he wasn`t at his best today, although he wasn`t as bad as the usual suspects are making out. Other players were less than at their best as well. He wouldn`t be the first player to be phased by the atmosphere at a local derby like today. I would, however, question why he was on the line defending a corner in the first place. Surely it should have been a defender.

I like a lot of what he brings but I've never been fond of players who play when they feel like it and drop their heads easily. He does both. Add a lack of bottle to that and there's a big problem.

I'm still p*ssed at the way he was strolling back from an offside position (by some ten yards) when Rickie headed the equalizer against Blackpool. If the officials had been looking for an excuse, that could have been just as costly as today's gutless 'contribution' on the post.

I think Nigel needs to give him some tough love and see how he responds.

Good player, but not today.

Not today because the Pompey defenders did a number on him. Guly is the type of player that needs time on the ball or his team mates to have time on the ball to get the best out of him. If he doesn't he is not effective. I'd expect Adkins to acknowledge this and know that in a game like todays it was unlikely we would be afforded the luxury of time on the ball and decide not to play him. Alas, Adkins chose to play him so you have to put up with the likliehood of Guly not being at his best.

I like a lot of what he brings but I've never been fond of players who play when they feel like it and drop their heads easily. He does both. Add a lack of bottle to that and there's a big problem.

I'm still p*ssed at the way he was strolling back from an offside position (by some ten yards) when Rickie headed the equalizer against Blackpool. If the officials had been looking for an excuse, that could have been just as costly as today's gutless 'contribution' on the post.

First half against Hull. He loses out in a challenge in the air for the ball and slaps his arms to his side, head drops as if a kid going 'oh what's the point'. Didn't see that today, but I didn't see him busting a gut either.

I hate hearing the line 'he's not interested' as it's a stupid judgement to make but with him I do wonder.

I don't like criticising my own players and I will never be the sort to stand up and shout abuse, but I will call it as I see it, Saints player or not. He was not good enough today and there are far too many occasions where he doesn't look up to it.

I prefer him playing on the right. He seems to work harder there and he's not a natural goalscorer. The chance that came to him in the first half was the kind a natural goalscorer would have put in but he wasn't alert enough and not attacking it like a natural forward.

He has got 8 goals this season. Not too bad for someone who is not a natural goalscorer.

To be fair, put any south-American "flair" type forward on the back stick and that is exactly what you will get. Can you imagine Luis Suarez attacking that ball with abandon? No, the difference is I'd dare say Dalglish would put someone else there who would. I'm not having a go at Adkins, I think the guy is great but surely he should know this?

To be fair, put any south-American "flair" type forward on the back stick and that is exactly what you will get. Can you imagine Luis Suarez attacking that ball with abandon? No, the difference is I'd dare say Dalglish would put someone else there who would. I'm not having a go at Adkins, I think the guy is great but surely he should know this?

One of my first thoughts was "Adkins, what the frick is Guly doing on that post?"

Doesn't Fox normally take that post at corners? That could account for Guly being there, although I'm not sure why.

Does it matter where they're from? Don't think so.

Still doesn't mean I'm wrong. How many flair players do you know that crunch in to 50/50 defensive headers? Not many, one suspects.

To be honest, I'm struggling with the idea of him as a flair player at the moment.

I'm not being unreasonable here, I have seen far too many occasions where he's not performed, and as soon as I voice my concern I'm on his back and won't give him a break. Nonsense. I call it as I see it.

To be honest, I'm struggling with the idea of him as a flair player at the moment.

I'm not being unreasonable here, I have seen far too many occasions where he's not performed, and as soon as I voice my concern I'm on his back and won't give him a break. Nonsense. I call it as I see it.

He is a flair player in so much as all he needs is a split second and he can change the game. Either with a pass like last week when Rickie should have scored or with a cute little run like today when he was foiled by a good save from their 'keeper. The fact people are claiming he was largely anonymous today but could still have been our match winner means that he is a flair player.

How can anybody defend him after a performance like this today? He might be the best player in the world at home but he was absolutely shocking today and is constantly bad away from home. The guy just can't hack it out of his comfort zone it seems.

His performance in the most important game of the season is unforgivable.........zero passion.

How can anybody defend him after a performance like this today? He might be the best player in the world at home but he was absolutely shocking today and is constantly bad away from home. The guy just can't hack it out of his comfort zone it seems.

His performance in the most important game of the season is unforgivable.........zero passion.

Have to agree.

He didn't have a particularly good game today but he played his part. Two things annoyed me about today's game both connected to the equaliser. Firstly Harding didn't need to concede the corner so easily he could have taken it towards the corner or put it into touch as it was on his left foot going away from goal, secondly Guly bottled the challenge and pulled out into Davis's way allowing Ward a free header. Harding was brought on presumably because Adkins thought he was a tighter defender, one up, ten minutes to go why wasn't he on the post defending? Leaving Guly to defend was stupid.

The main problem we have is that neither Lambert or Guly want to play on the shoulder of the last defender, it's not their game and we don't have such a striker at present. In the past I have seen Lambert attempt to stay upfront and Guly in behind and it's a different story. What we are doing at the present is making the best of a bad job with the resources we have available to put out on the pitch.

**** off! People hung Bartoz. Guly deserves everything he gets today IMO. He bottled that challenge no doubt and that cost us 2 points. Well ****ed off. Benali would have gone through Ward.

FFS. Yes he would, but Benali was a defender with nothing but guts, pride and passion. People are expecting Guly to display the attributes of someone as gritty as Benali. If he had scored his chance everyone would be on here bumming him.

He didn't have a particularly good game today but he played his part. Two things annoyed me about today's game both connected to the equaliser. Firstly Harding didn't need to concede the corner so easily he could have taken it towards the corner or put it into touch as it was on his left foot going away from goal, secondly Guly bottled the challenge and pulled out into Davis's way allowing Ward a free header. Harding was brought on presumably because Adkins thought he was a tighter defender, one up, ten minutes to go why wasn't he on the post defending? Leaving Guly to defend was stupid.

That's what I don't get. If it's a full back's role when Fox is on, why the hell change it when Harding comes on?

And Guly didn't even have to win the header, just spoil. He did worse than nothing.

I couldn't understand the Harding for Fox change at the time, and I'm not sure that Fox could, either.

FFS. Yes he would, but Benali was a defender with nothing but guts, pride and passion. People are expecting Guly to display the attributes of someone as gritty as Benali. If he had scored his chance everyone would be on here bumming him.

You think people are slating him over that one mistake? He was awful throughout the game, his touch, shooting but what f***s me off the most was he looked lazy. In a match against our biggest rivals you hope every single player is up for the game and not a passenger.

Also I see you are slating Lallana on another thread, you obviously have some strange views.

You think people are slating him over that one mistake? He was awful throughout the game, his touch, shooting but what f***s me off the most was he looked lazy. In a match against our biggest rivals you hope every single player is up for the game and not a passenger.

Also I see you are slating Lallana on another thread, you obviously have some strange views.

Exactly. Mistake to play him at all today. I don't claim to be able to predict the future but I thought to myself if he did play he'd be a disappointment.

We all know there is a vocal Guly fan club on here (but not so much at actual matches) that will tolerate no criticism of him, indeed some seem to think he's a better player than Rickie Lambert even. In my view he's made a real contribution to our success of late but surely he's also a luxury we just can't afford at times. In all honesty I just wasn't satisfied with his defending for their goal today, and I suspect that in their heart of hearts few Saints fans are if they are equally honest with themselves.

I'm not sure some foreign born players ever really 'get' English football, for instance is there any other player in our team who would have ducked out of that challenge today ? ...... thought not. We should be looking for a better striker partner to play alongside Lambert next season - whatever division we are in.

Sadly despite the credit he gets on here Harding is thick in a football sense and worse still ball watches. He had to take resposibility to defend that left post but went missing.

I agree. You can't blame Guly on the line for not winning a header the other player has a 10 yeard run on. Someone should have blocked Ward off prior to Guly getting anywhere near it.