Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Post Match Reaction

Baj

A frustrating loss of one point, but not that unexpected. With this young, unexperienced side I guess we will be very vulnerable the last minutes of the games when experience is of great value...

On the other hand, it is not at games like Cardiff away where we are supposed to collect our points...

The perfect response will be to beat the Championship favourites next week.I feel we are playing them at the right time just after a narrow gut wrenching defeat and in our first home game of the season.I fully expected defeat today but i listened to the whole game and i heard enough to suggest we're going to be ok this season.

Many Saints fans don't deserve a good team to support. Lots of teams will lose at Cardiff, this result is by no means a disgrace. We just take the positives (no injuries, one away game out the way, first CCC goal for DMG, 90mins for killer, lots of debuts) and move on to the next games.

Much better than last seasons first game with the so called experienced players!

The voice of reason.

Are you sure you've come to the right place?

Let's get behind a young footballing team and see where we are in a couple of months.

Very true! These people are of no use to the club, especially when they don't go to any games and then still moan....

Guys, lets not go there... football is an emotional game, and so emotional reactions are a part and parcel of it... everyone is different and the best thing, for all our sakes, is to ignore the opinions that rile you up, because things can often get worse and the whole thread will degenerate... Do we really need an 'I'm a better fan than you' thread so early in the season!?

Some people need to get a grip. This was a tough fixture at any time and dont forget their last game was the Cup Final, so they would have been up for it. Birmingham is going to be tough as well, so it's important we beat Exeter in the week. We'll not know what the seasons going to bring or whether Rupert's gamble has paid of for at least a dozen games.

Guys, lets not go there... football is an emotional game, and so emotional reactions are a part and parcel of it... everyone is different and the best thing, for all our sakes, is to ignore the opinions that rile you up, because things can often get worse and the whole thread will degenerate... Do we really need an 'I'm a better fan than you' thread so early in the season!?

Mild mannered minty is a lovely chap, it's there for all to see, if I had a choice of having a beer with minty or alpine I would choose minty, who would you lot choose??

can we make this a poll?

We all knew it was going to be a long haul this year with the youngsters. I'm glad JP played them. We must stick with them and get behind them. I fear there will be worse results than this to come. But, however limited, at least this is our team. They are playing for the shirt and nobody's a loan player. Maybe this is finally where we start to build a team again properly

COYR

To lose away from home by a last minute goal first game of the season with a new team is not too bad IMO. Some might say this was character building. It's how they build from here over the nexty few weeks that counts in the longer term. Nice to see McGoldrick scoring and Svensson capataining a whole match - surely that's a miracle?

I think we could have done with Stern John for at least part of the game today to hold the ball up and maybe grab a goal.

Unfortunately the STATS tell the story

Possession

C 68% S 32%

Shots on target

C 7 S5

Shots off target

C7 S2

Corners

C8 S5

Probably a fair result

I think it is the Lack of Height which is going to be our downfall this season and I know it is only the First Game and away from Home but we are going to struggle

The figures are a travesty when we are supposed to be playing total football. Unless I've completely misunderstood the concept, the idea is to keep possession by passing the ball about the pitch, making the other team run around chasing shadows. Seems that from these statistics, it was us doing the running around. Thank God that they are youngsters and fit! I had thought that another part of the new philosophy was that we were to shoot on sight of the goal, but somehow managed only 7 shots, two of which were off target.

I had seen some exciting total football, or what I took to be that against West Ham. Would anybody who was there venture an opinion as to whether that was the style we played today? Otherwise I'll have to wait until Saturday and see whether there is any evidence of it against Brum.

To lose away from home by a last minute goal first game of the season with a new team is not too bad IMO. Some might say this was character building. It's how they build from here over the nexty few weeks that counts in the longer term. Nice to see McGoldrick scoring and Svensson capataining a whole match - surely that's a miracle?

I think we could have done with Stern John for at least part of the game today to hold the ball up and maybe grab a goal.

did his suspension get revoked then?

The voice of reason.

Are you sure you've come to the right place?

Let's get behind a young footballing team and see where we are in a couple of months.

Thank you friend.

Let's do that rather than some of the total d1cks on here who want to persist in their same attitude, as usual without getting of their fat slovenly asses and watching, and slag off a team they frankly don't deserve to be allowed to supprt.

So a kid gives away a free kick in the 90th minute and the opposition score - shall we crucify the lot of them?

I hate losing with a passion. HATE it. I'll kick the dog, the car, the walls.

BUT not this season.

Because this season is about getting behind the young lads. Picking them up when they're down, not kicking them.

HARD FECKING LUCK Saints. We came close but no cigar.

We dust ourselves down, work harder in training and go again next week.

What really ****es me off, is the self opinionated cyberfans who never seem to go to any games, but use their computers as statistical instruments to pontificate on the team, when it is obvious they are talking rubbish.

They really should get a life, the only opinions worth listening to, and they vary, are people who have seen the match.

Thank you friend.

Let's do that rather than some of the total d1cks on here who want to persist in their same attitude, as usual without getting of their fat slovenly asses and watching, and slag off a team they frankly don't deserve to be allowed to supprt.

So a kid gives away a free kick in the 90th minute and the opposition score - shall we crucify the lot of them?

I hate losing with a passion. HATE it. I'll kick the dog, the car, the walls.

BUT not this season.

Because this season is about getting behind the young lads. Picking them up when they're down, not kicking them.

HARD FECKING LUCK Saints. We came close but no cigar.

You listening Alpine and your mob, these are the words of a saints fan.

A good call. Definitely gutted by today's result but, as some have said, it could be a character building exercise. At least there seems to be some fight and resilience amongst the more experienced squad members (you could see Perry, Wotton and Svensson berating the ref on Sky Sports News), which should help the younger squad members.

We have no option but to support these young lads because they are our players. Gone are the days when we can just go out and buy some new "stars". I'm gutted about the result and disappointed by what the stats say about our lack of possession or threat, especially 2nd half, but at least they are showing passion and pride. Thanks to the old guard for the performance against Sheffield Utd, but I hope that these young guys will develop into a team that will be in a much stronger position by the end of this season.

The pity of today is that a point would have boosted the youngster's confidence which is bound to be brittle. A point is nothing over 46 games but it is important that they play without fear and last minute goals have a habit of undermining the character of the side. Svensson and Wotton's experience will be vital.

Listening on Solent it did sound like were a little light weight upfront and perhaps tried to play too much good football rather than go for goal. The balance has got to be right especially away from home where you are more likely to go a goal down.

I was pleased with what I heard but it is important we get a good win early on or else it could go down hill quickly.

Very true! These people are of no use to the club, especially when they don't go to any games and then still moan....

Cobblers.... the club NEEDS the money of the moaners as much as the optimists money. Get yer head round the situation or keep quiet

What football fan in their right mind would expect any CCC team to play at Cardiff and not come under pressure. It is great experience, that this young team will now be aware of, and realise they have to pick up the pace when under pressure. They will improve, unlike last years team.

Sorry, you didnt mention which stand of Ninian Park you and Derry were watching the game from...

I don't think Skip is suggesting he knows any better than yourself Alpine. He's just suggesting people take their chins off the floor with only one game of the season gone. That's all. Let's keep these things in perspective, just as we should have if the Lads had won or drawn.

Another game on tuesday, and another on saturday. I imagine Derby, Burnley, etc... supporters are also not seeing things terribly clearly this evening either.

EDIT: I wonder if Sheffield Utd supporters are reacting the same way..? Extremely similar result.

If it wasn't for KD we'd have been hamered today.

As expected our squad is utter ****e.

League 1 beckons.

See, now I havent made any polemic comments like this. I've looked at the comments made by the pundits during the match, the possession figures and also the result. I have not slagged down the youngster who conceeded the free kick, or Kelvin Davies, who from what I can tell had a great game. I have also not abused any fellow posters.

All I've done is cast grave doubts about the strength, stamina and will of this team to grind out the results required, on the backdrop on dire financial circumstances at the club prevent reinforcement, to avoid relegation.

Can someone explain the aggression in the responses I've got ?

Moral victory number one. But no points and that really is the point. I desperately want to be wrong but I think this is likley to be repeated many times this season. We will almost get a point or even almost win but this team is just not likely to be good enough.

I don't know if the ball crossed the line but we were under pressure for much of the game. There was an inevitability about the outcome. I know it's one game and there's a long way to go but I think the pundits are right. I am just being realistic.

Please let me be wrong and I will happily eat humble pie when these youngsters show they can beat the old pro's.

The first bit relates to what fans should do at matches.

The second bit relates to what coaches and players can do, not fans.

I thought a forum is a discussion place where people talk about how we played and how things might go in future. You seem to just want people to come on here and say "Up the Saints" and "Come on you Reds". Not really much discussion there.

What football fan in their right mind would expect any CCC team to play at Cardiff and not come under pressure.

The Lowe Luvvies said we'd be world beaters after the West Ham friendly. What went wrong?:confused:

I thought a forum is a discussion place where people talk about how we played and how things might go in future. You seem to just want people to come on here and say "Up the Saints" and "Come on you Reds". Not really much discussion there.

Yes, I dont get that either.

See, now I havent made any polemic comments like this. I've looked at the comments made by the pundits during the match, the possession figures and also the result. I have not slagged down the youngster who conceeded the free kick, or Kelvin Davies, who from what I can tell had a great game. I have also not abused any fellow posters.

All I've done is cast grave doubts about the strength, stamina and will of this team to grind out the results required, on the backdrop on dire financial circumstances at the club prevent reinforcement, to avoid relegation.

Good question.

Come on mods he is getting a bit of baiting...dare i suggest, to make him "lose it"

First of all we deserved a point at least, but we don't have height up front for crosses and the 4 or 5 corners that went begging. When we kept it on the floor we looked sweet, the goal was difficult to tell if it crossed the line from my angle. Davis looked very upset at the end and did come over to the fans. One Cardiff fan said we will be the team to beat later in the season I think he could be right.

Like a dripping tap or consistently nagging tart, it just goes on and on without abate. Just like the passenger on "Airplane", where any form of suicide is a viable alternative.

I'll explain.

You're quite a prolific and knowledgable poster. People take notice of you. Those posts you have pointed to are being made by poster who are describing a complex situation with one line, and are therefore being completely dismissed [take note those people]. But take heart, Alpine. Your doubts have been noted. Let's see what the next couple of games bring, and then perhaps you can write with a little more or less conviction.

It is disappointing and i get very annoyed however we lose....losing is for losers.

Every game needs to be played to win...if we have any aspirations of promotion, that is what we must do...and from what I have seen so far this season, that seems to be the way we want to play.

Importantly Mcgoldrick scored and in parts we looked ok. i'm increasingly worried about how incredibly sh1t we are at defending set pieces, how under sized we are all over the pitch and how we ALWAYS ****ing conceed in injury time and cannot close out games.

Would have taken the point if offered. An alternative way of looking at it is at least we didnt get thumped 4-1 or something, that would have been depressing.

Cardiff City boss Dave Jones:

"We can do better as we weren't fluent today. We enjoyed one or two good link-ups but too many players didn't perform to their capabilities.

"I was glad Steve scored but to let them equalise straight away was bad defending on our part because why we were trying to take a quick free-kick with half-time so close, I just don't know.

"However the boys stayed strong and showed great character to win the game.

"We kept a lot of pressure on Southampton and Roger is always dangerous at set-pieces as we work at it day in, day out on it.

"Southampton disputed the goal, however they were not questioning whether it was over the line or not because it was a good foot over.

"They thought Joe Ledley had thrown the ball in but he was just throwing it to Mark Kennedy to throw it in. The goal, though, came from corner that followed. I always tell my teams to play to the whistle, which is something they didn't do and they were punished."

He has a point at the end if the situation is as he described it.

I'll explain.

You're quite a prolific and knowledgable poster. People take notice of you. Those posts you have pointed to are being made by poster who are describing a complex situation with one line, and are therefore being completely dismissed [take note those people]. But take heart, Alpine. Your doubts have been noted. Let's see what the next couple of games bring, and then perhaps you can write with a little more or less conviction.

Perhaps I should add is that Alpine makes a good point here. There will be no room for name calling and malicious language on this forum. Already there have been the odd incident of it, and it won't help the poster's concerned in any way, other than to get them to receive infractions and bans. Don't even try to slip an insult in under the wire at quiet moments either and think you've got away with it.

Before you type your insult just stop yourself. Because of you don't you'll only end up worse off than before you started.

First of all we deserved a point at least, but we don't have height up front for crosses and the 4 or 5 corners that went begging. When we kept it on the floor we looked sweet, the goal was difficult to tell if it crossed the line from my angle. Davis looked very upset at the end and did come over to the fans. One Cardiff fan said we will be the team to beat later in the season I think he could be right.

The first post from somebody at the match. IMO a valuable insight. Statistics mean little, Radio commentaries give an opinion of the state of play in real time from professional witnesses.

Opinions of the actual event without being there are worthless.

Yep, 45 more games to go, eh lads ?

This goal was inevitable. We gave Cardiff 64% of the possession, FFS !

The team is simply not strong enough. They held on valliantly for 99% of the game, but this story is going to repeat itself throughout the season as the opposing team wear down and unlock the weaknesses in the team.

I agree,the team is far too weak..and small ! we wont score from corners more than 1 out of 100,and probably let in 1 goal each 6-7 against us.

however,I do still think we can win the majority of home games-when our youngsters feel comfortable and more adventurous. the talent is there,sadly that isn`t enough to anything more than a mid-table finish at the moment,IMO.

very sad that final goal went in,a whole summer of expectations fell massively down the toilet..AAAAAARGH !

Perhaps I should add is that Alpine makes a good point here. There will be no room for name calling and malicious language on this forum. Already there have been the odd incident of it, and it won't help the poster's concerned in any way, other than to get them to receive infractions and bans. Don't even try to slip an insult in under the wire at quiet moments either and think you've got away with it.

Before you type your insult just stop yourself. Because of you don't you'll only end up worse off than before you started.

Yah Boo Sucks :smt076

Disappointing to have lost it at the death (how many times have we said that over the years? ) but what a bonus to have Killer back in the team - and playing well throughout.

Its going to be an interesting season and methinks not as bad as the press predicts.

The second bit relates to what WE do too.

I love the fact that Alpine can tell me we were 'lightweight' in midfield from a handful of statistics and the comfort of his sofa... yawn.

A team can have 99% possession and still not threaten.

The statistic that counts is, 1-2 - from a free kick on 90 minutes given away by a kid playing what, his first competitive game??

And yet Alpine writes off our season. Quality.

No-one thinks Llloyd James or Davy McG are computer literate then??

All this whailing and gnashing of teeth over a loss ot Cardiff, what's that doing for our confidence and morale as a club - because YES, WE are all this club, players and fans alike.

Far as I know we've lost nothing but 3 points today.

And yes we might lose every game this season and be relegated.

And people who lose hair fretting over it need to get a grip and grow the feck up.

I say again, we're going to be watching a lot of kids learning their trade.

If it's too much like hard work to take the knocks and be a man about it, then give up supporting.

I'm proud of young lads wearing a shirt I would DIE to wear.

There's no Burley, no Euell, no Wright to pillory so, tell you what, let's piilory the new team shall we - in their first competitive match. Call their 'bottle' and fight into question, accuse them of being lightweght?

When will people understand, THIS IS IT. Yeah?? Get it??

There's no Terry Hurlock waiting in the wings. No magic wand we can wave and buy Makele.

THIS IS IT.

Wake up!

some people will only be satisfied if we win 10-0 every week. Give the team a chance like a true supporter.

It is quite obvious to me that the team is likely to struggle this year but of course I will support the team but I do not expect to be a supporting a successful team for another 3 to 4 years.

I feel the expectactions of the fans is too high today's result was very reasonable and probably expected but lots of posts suggested before that we were going to win .

Perhaps it was wishful thinking but it gives the wrong impression I would have thought.

Position 18 where we are today in The Championship is fine by me

Edited by John B

It is quite obvious to me that the team is likely to struggle this year but of course I will support the team but I do not expect to be a supporting a successful team for another 3 to 4 years.

I feel the expectactions of the fans is too high today's result was very reasonable and probably expected but lots of posts suggested that we were going to win .

Perhaps it was wishful thinking but it gives the wrong impression I would have thought.

Quite right sir. No-one likes losing, but Rome was not built in a day.

And certainly not by half the Romans while the other half sat chirping away about the quality of the cement...

I was at the game and the reason for the disputed goal wasn't whether or not it crossed the line, but that as Dave Jones has already stated the Saints players felt that Cardiff took a throw in twice. Giving away the freekick was foolish, but Lloyd James was pretty solid. However, he does seem to have the Jermaine Wright mentality of giving the winger too much space. Kelvin Davis' save in the second half was brilliant and he was confident coming for crosses and corners which was good to see. Killer and Perry were solid at the back and at times we played good football. It seems like there has been a lot of post-match negativity on the forum, but the support at the game was great, even at the end after we'd lost. My main concern would be that we were fine with the ball in the middle of the park, but we weren't all that convincing in the final third, McGoldrick was doing well to pressure the defenders in the opening half an hour, but after that he seemed to leave them to it. Lallana was quality, everything we did going forward went through him, but we just didn't commit many forward in support. It's really not as bad as some people are making out.

The second bit relates to what WE do too.

I love the fact that Alpine can tell me we were 'lightweight' in midfield from a handful of statistics and the comfort of his sofa... yawn.

A team can have 99% possession and still not threaten.

The statistic that counts is, 1-2 - from a free kick on 90 minutes given away by a kid playing what, his first competitive game??

And yet Alpine writes off our season. Quality.

No-one thinks Llloyd James or Davy McG are computer literate then??

All this whailing and gnashing of teeth over a loss ot Cardiff, what's that doing for our confidence and morale as a club - because YES, WE are all this club, players and fans alike.

Far as I know we've lost nothing but 3 points today.

And yes we might lose every game this season and be relegated.

And people who lose hair fretting over it need to get a grip and grow the feck up.

I say again, we're going to be watching a lot of kids learning their trade.

If it's too much like hard work to take the knocks and be a man about it, then give up supporting.

I'm proud of young lads wearing a shirt I would DIE to wear.

There's no Burley, no Euell, no Wright to pillory so, tell you what, let's piilory the new team shall we - in their first competitive match. Call their 'bottle' and fight into question, accuse them of being lightweght?

When will people understand, THIS IS IT. Yeah?? Get it??

There's no Terry Hurlock waiting in the wings. No magic wand we can wave and buy Makele.

THIS IS IT.

Wake up!

At last someone with a sense of reality good on you.