Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Post Match Reaction

Baj

This thread is a perfect example of why alpine_saint clearly must be a skate, and should be banned for good.

This response is the perfect example of mindless idiotic baiting, and the sort of thing we had hoped was on the way out

Very good St Marco, thanks.

The areas of concern for me surrounds our habit of capitulating late goals which was still with us in pre-season and has carried over to where it matters - it needs fixing right now - over to you Jan.

Plus our discipline, or more like the lack of it; with some of the the players going to the referee to have it out with him at the end shows a complete lack of discipline or reasonable judgement; you cannot change the result and run the risk of picking up cards for your trouble; it is frankly stupid - ah footballers being stupid? far to many live down to the stereotype.

Time for the manager to lay down the law.

I am far from despondent and I expect that time will be needed to get things right.

However there is no excuse for the continuation of another Southampton trait on Tuesday evening - unprofessional capitulation to a lower division side is totally unacceptable.

Plenty for our new manager/coach and the players to work on.

Come on you Saints!!!!

Did Johnson's goal come off his chest?

I'm just about to write up my report for the saintsweb.co.uk site, but wasn't paying attention to the action as I was writing something about an earlier incident on my phone.

I looked up and saw the ball going towards goal, looked like it came off the chest to me, but BBC were saying he headed it.

I second that. On a positive side though, brilliant for Killer to get 90 minutes and play well!

Look. Didn't go today but saw the West Ham game.

This pure emotion thing with Killer is becoming tiresome - the blind God like obsession generated by the Echo and clung onto by a large section of fans is just getting silly.

Killer was continually beaten in the air against WH. Today he was man enough to admit in the post match interview that he was out jumped for their winning goal. Our central defenders are not tall enough and that includes Killer - wake up. We have a great bright young team with lots of potential but we are weak in the air at the back!!!!!

Well it is difficult to sum up this games performance really. There were a lot of positives to be taken and a lot of negatives. First off well done to the travelling supporters was an excellent turn out considering the size of that hole. Also was pleasing to see most of us laughed at the reaction Dyer got and some even joined in the “thieving bastard” chant, was a funny moment!

Now down to the football. The first 25mins I felt we were totally in control. The boys looked well up for it and were zipping the ball around amazingly. Schneiderlin is a quality player and has really great passing skills. I will say now he is probably going to be one of our best signings ever and if we can keep him could go on to be a legend here! Cardiff looked really nervous and the football they were showing reminded me of us at the start of last season. Nervous, nobody moving to collect the ball, no communication and rather then go for a short easy pass just lump it up field. Where as we were playing the ball on the ground and taking our time rather then lose possession so easily. Even Davis was making easy passes rather then kick it up field to their goalie as he had done so many times last season.

We pushed forward well and had quite a few corners. However in that period we had no clear chances and no real shots at goal which was a bit of a downer. After that Cardiff started to come back into it and started to boss the game. We tried to harass them when they had possession and that was very good to see. They had some good shots and Davis made some cracking saves. But the biggest positive was Killer! If he wasn’t playing we would have lost by quite a bit I think. He used his experience to make so many clearances and get ahead of players to get a touch on the ball that helped ease the pressure on us. Perry made a few mistakes but overall also did ok. I think all of us knew we were starting to be pegged back and for the following 20mins or so we never really went forward with any conviction. Davis made a superb save from Whittingham’s shot but then a few minutes later we just caved in and they scored from like 1cm out. When we kicked off we did a few long balls and I think I started to think “oh no were going to get mauled now”.

But Surman made a quality cross for Mcgoldrick to strike and we were back in it! But I have to be honest here we didn’t really deserve that goal as for the previous 20-25mins we had hardly got out of our half let alone created many chances. Second half starts and not much really happens except for Killer almost killing someone, was great to see! We had a shot I think from Morgan and then we started to be pegged back again like just before half time. The next 20mins was all them really with Svensson and Perry defending well. Then we had a nice little spell where we started to come back into it and get forward a bit more but again didn’t really create anything to danger the score. After that the subs happened and I think they didn’t really help us in all honesty. Schneiderlin I felt was playing well so not sure if he was injured? I thought Thomson was doing well but he looked knackered as he ran his socks off as did all of them.

By this point I think it was clear we had settled for the draw and we would have been happy with that. A point from this game with so few shots on goal would have been a great result. But with that comes the invitation to get so many people back it is hard to relieve the pressure. Dyer was pretty disappointing in my book; he as always was just brushed off the ball when someone slightly touches him. However he and BWP were our only real source to get ball away from goal. Eventually the pressure counted and after some poor defending and failing to clear Davis scrambled to get to the ball. At the time I thought it was an awful decision and like most was ****ed off that a referee had screwed us again. But on the way home the general census was it was actually over the line by quite a bit and the reason everyone was annoyed was due to the fact they might have taken a throw twice…. After that we had no time to do anything.

So on reflection I have to ask myself did we deserve to lose the game. Trying to be non biased I have to say we did. We had very few chances on goal and for majority of the match were defending and doing it well. Our keeper made some good saves where as I can’t recall theirs doing anything. We had a lot of corners but Holmes wasted them. So a lot of people on here last season complained about teams who came to St Mary’s and played for the draw, people complained about the 1-0 style of some teams. We tried to do that today. So to be fair we didn’t really threaten their goal to say we deserved to win. And if it weren’t for Killer and Davis the score would have been very different. Though DMG scored a well taken goal like so many times with our strikers last season he was largely anonymous. Lallana I felt did ok and made some decent runs of which on a different day might have been a bit more lucky with. So I would have to say in comparison to our game their in march I think we played better and created a lot more chances in that game then this game. We looked a better attacking team then in my opinion and that game we didn’t deserve to lose. This one I don’t think we did enough to win it and to draw we were always holding on.

But there are positives and a lot of them. The team is a young team who have played only three times before with each other. They put in more effort in that 90mins then a lot of players did for the whole of last season. They tried really hard and ran until the final whistle. Killer is back and was MOTM by far. And in my view the biggest positive of all is these players have now gained some experience. They are learning and they will need time. People have to remember that and not expect the world from them. There is a long way to go but if we can keep Svensson fit and work on that final third so we create chances we will be safe from trouble I feel. However if something keeps Killer and Davies out I do worry that could be a huge problem for us. Also I wonder if leaving out the experienced players is a good idea. Confidence is key and right now I can’t imagine those players are too happy at the way they have been treated. If things go wrong and we have to call on them will they give us the effort we will need? It is a unique situation I feel where there are like 2 teams here. The youngsters and the old guys.

I can imagine people will say we didn’t deserve to lose and in a lot of regards they are right. But I think it depends a lot on how you approach a game. I felt we settled for a point too early and that might have been a bad decision. We tried counter attack football and it didn’t really work. So as I said mixed views really, a lot of good and a few bad. I’m sure we will improve. Also it must be worth noting I think Cardiff are just as poor as we are really. I can’t see them being in the top half either.

Thanks Marco. Bring on Shearer! ;)

Well we lost, I got my prediction right, and Killer came through it ok.

JP said a few weeks ago that the new system will take a while to come into full effect, and while he may have said it to cover his back, I'm sure we have a lot of good football this season to look forward to.

Here is my report of the game, should be going on the Saintsweb.co.uk site when that gets started up...

Cardiff City Vs Southampton

Cardiff started the game quickly, with debutant Ross McCormack surging down the right hand side and crossing dangerously across the six yard box. However the Saints’ Lloyd James cleared well under pressure from Steven Thompson. Saints then replied with a mazy run of their own down the right side, with Jake Thomson making light work of make-shift left back Mark Kennedy and crossing towards the centre of the penalty area; Glenn Loovens was on hand to head clear, but Morgan Schneiderlin pinged the ball back into the box for Michael Svensson, who headed well over.

The next few moments were controversial, as twice the Southampton players in the attacking third closed down the Cardiff backline in menacing fashion, subsequently forcing them into nervy back passes. The first by Loovens was disregarded by the referee - who claimed the ball came off the player’s thigh, leaving the home goalkeeper feeling relieved. But there was nothing he could do about the next one, as Lee Holmes gratefully intercepted on a weak backpass by Johnson and Manchester United loanee Heaton pounced on the ball. Simon Gillett blasted the resulting in-direct free kick into the wall.

A frantic opening to the first half continued when Chris Perry slipped on the wet surface and Joe Ledley appeared to be clean through on goal, however he decided to pick out a pass for Peter Whittingham, rather than shot and the latter saw his shot closed down quickly by Andrew Surman at left back.

Southampton kept up the early pressure, as their quick closing down of players in midfield and in around the final third was paying off, Thomson winning a corner and Holmes floating one in for Svensson, who again headed over. The away side were working well as a team, as they collectively gave Cardiff little time on the ball; the younger players’ greater enthusiasm and desire to get to the ball first, was a cause of concern for Home fans, but although the Saints were applying a great deal of pressure in this first twenty minutes, they were creating few chances and David McGoldrick often found himself chasing on to hopeful balls.

Their inability to turn pressure into chances was to pay, as Cardiff slowly got a foothold on the game and it was indeed the home side that ended the first half in dominant fashion. First, Ledley teed up Thompson for a well struck shot, which was saved smartly by Davis, before Gavin Rae drilled a fierce effort just wide of the left hand post. McPhail passed for Thompson, who approached goal in a dogged manner, but Svensson made his shooting angle tight and the striker saw his shot well saved again.

Kelvin Davis rushed out of his box to tackle Gavin Rae, in a potentially threatening attack, before McNaughton’s cross was headed down by Thompson into the path of Whittingham, who shot wildly over the bar. Davis again made a fine save, this time tipping Joe Ledley’s goal-bound effort wide of the post, but there was little Davis could do about the next attack, as the home side finally made a breakthrough... Gavin Rae saw his shot blocked by a number of eager bodies who threw themselves in the way of the shot, but the ball came loose to THOMPSON who slotted the rebound home. It was a deserved goal for the hosts, who held off early pressure from Southampton and created numerous chances to ultimately breach the away side’s defence.

The Saints were resilient though and found themselves level pegging almost immediately, as half-time approached. Surman showed great strength to rob McNaughton of the ball, before crossing low for MCGOLDRICK to poach from close range and net his first league goal for the club.

Half Time: Cardiff City 1-1 Southampton

The second half was soon to go back to how things were, before Southampton equalised though, as Cardiff pushed for all three points in a gruelling 45 minutes.

Thompson beat the offside trap and laid off nicely for Ledley, who lacked composure when firing over the bar and Cardiff will feel that they should have got a second, when Roger Johnson was left unmarked from a corner and saw powerful header, very well saved by Davis, whilst Johnson was turning away to celebrate and he had a chance soon after from another corner, when he was left unmarked again and headed just inches wide; failing to make Southampton pay for their poor marking.

Substitute and new signing from Wolves, Jay Bothroyd linked up with Johnson from another set piece, but the striker saw his shot well held by Davis. And as the game went into the last twenty minutes, Cardiff attacked freely down the wings, with McPhail constantly threading the ball out wide for McCormack, Bothroyd and Sub Parry to cross, but all three saw their crosses cleared with some desperate defending from a solid defence.

Saints brought on Nathan Dyer and Bradley Wright-Phillips to add some flair and fresh legs to the cause, particularly as most of the team’s youngsters had run themselves into the ground, but they proved to be largely ineffectual. However they could have nicked all three points late on, when Surman whipped in a teasing free kick, which evaded everyone, including the outstretched foot of Svensson at the back post.

Cardiff were to have the last laugh though, as a stoppage time corner ensured a scramble in the box and JOHNSON flicked the ball goal wards... Davis appeared to have made a fantastic reaction save, tipping the ball onto the post, but the ball trickled over the line, as the goalkeeper desperately tried to claw the ball away. Harsh circumstances to win the game so late on, but probably a fair result in the end.

Summary

On the balance of play, a loss seems a fair result for Saints and although we battled hard for most of the game, we never looked a big enough threat in the final third of the pitch, whilst Cardiff were kept at bay by a number of good saves and clearances from Southampton keeper and defence. A last minute goal always makes people feel bitterer though, especially as we were so close to a draw – which would have been a good result.

On a positive note, it was nice to see the enthusiasm and energy of our young players, as we gave Cardiff very little on the ball, whilst the return of Michael Svensson can only be a good thing, as he put in a solid performance and was probably my shout for Saints Man of the Match. Elsewhere, David McGoldrick will be pleased to have netted his first league goal for the club and it’ll be interesting to see if he can build on this.

My main concern is the depth of the squad. Its all well and good having the enthusiastic youngsters, but players like Euell, Skacel and Rasiak will be needed if we are to pick up results and it’s unfortunate that we are likely to see these players leave soon. Today for much of the game McGoldrick had to work very hard up front and it looked to me like he had a difficult time of things, but as we know Cardiff is a tough place to come and to be so close from a draw is at least creditable.

As for Cardiff, I didn’t feel they played particularly well today, but they got the result, which is the important thing. I feel that Cardiff will know they can play better and against teams who may give them a little more space, they could prove to be quite a force to beat, especially at home. Thompson took his goal well today and looked a threat in the air and once given time to form a partnership with Ross McCormack, who looked to have possessed a decent amount of pace - perhaps they could be onto something there.

I don’t think the Bluebirds played particularly fluent stuff today, much of this was down to our players not allowing the time and space on the ball, which was good for us and in general the home side’s midfield seemed to struggle, but Stephen McPhail seemed to be the player who kept the game ticking and the attacking threat alive through midfield, so for me he was their Man of the Match.

One thing I think Cardiff will look to make more of in the future is their set pieces, as Roger Johnson looked particularly lively from them and could have scored a couple more goals, whilst for us, I’d like to see us be more adventurous in the final third and I hope to see this in our next match – especially as we are at home.

By Richard Miles

cardiffnu7.jpg

cardiffnu7.a5a8413377.jpg

^ Errr, sorry for the pretty bad picture.. Was quite far back on the terraces and I didn't get any other ones.

Edited by saintrich

Yep, 45 more games to go, eh lads ?

This goal was inevitable. We gave Cardiff 64% of the possession, FFS !

The team is simply not strong enough. They held on valliantly for 99% of the game, but this story is going to repeat itself throughout the season as the opposing team wear down and unlock the weaknesses in the team.

'This goal was inevitable.'

'They held on valliantly for 99% of the game'!!

Ha ha! Not the game I watched!

Nice to have the football back - I've missed that old feeling of losing in the last minute.

I had trouble listening to the match - my 2 month old didn't seem interested - but it seems that we've got lots of young potential, so that's something to cheer. Also, brilliant to have Killer back.

Now we need some points - next few matches look tricky, don't they?

Listened to the game on Saints TV. Very frustrating result, although there is surely much to be positive about for the season ahead.

I wonder whether JP will change the balance of the side in the weeks ahead, according to home or away; wet or dry conditions. While I can understand the logic of rewarding the team (1st half) who played against Stoke at St Marys on a dry track- playing at Ninian Park on a wet day was a different proposition wasn't it? Maybe the inclusion of players like Thomas (even at right back), Euell, Wotton, Rasiak etc would have provided a better balance against a big

Cardiff side on a wet pitch.

Guest Hacienda
Did Johnson's goal come off his chest?

I'm just about to write up my report for the saintsweb.co.uk site, but wasn't paying attention to the action as I was writing something about an earlier incident on my phone.

I looked up and saw the ball going towards goal, looked like it came off the chest to me, but BBC were saying he headed it.

It came of his chest.

I've seen most of the pre-season games and although Euell is not my favorite player he actually looked the part and chipped in with a couple of goals I would also include Stern John, Rasiak and Thomas as players who can still have a part to play. I seriously don't think we will survive without some senior imput.

To let a point slip so late in the game is always hard to take but we shouldn't be too down-hearted.

We more than held our own and fully deserved a point in my opinion.

Svensson was first class too, a real positive to have him back in the side.

On the whole, we were pretty unlucky not to come away with anything.

Fingers crossed we can get a win on Tuesday and then follow that up with something against Birmingham.

Originally Posted by alpine_saint:- This goal was inevitable. We gave Cardiff 64% of the possession, FFS ! The team is simply not strong enough. They held on valliantly for 99% of the game, but this story is going to repeat itself throughout the season as the opposing team wear down and unlock the weaknesses in the team.

Very accurate calculation of possession, Cardiff 64%, (giving Saints 36%), although we don't know if that includes or excludes periods when neither team had possession. However, it would be fascinating to know how such a detailed calc is made, and not just to the nearest 5% point, but right on the 1% point. Could we have more details of the method of computation?

Originally Posted by alpine_saint:- This goal was inevitable. We gave Cardiff 64% of the possession, FFS ! The team is simply not strong enough. They held on valliantly for 99% of the game, but this story is going to repeat itself throughout the season as the opposing team wear down and unlock the weaknesses in the team.

Very accurate calculation of possession, Cardiff 64%, (giving Saints 36%), although we don't know if that includes or excludes periods when neither team had possession. However, it would be fascinating to know how such a detailed calc is made, and not just to the nearest 5% point, but right on the 1% point. Could we have more details of the method of computation?

pro zone ?

Listened to the game on Saints TV. Very frustrating result, although there is surely much to be positive about for the season ahead.

I wonder whether JP will change the balance of the side in the weeks ahead, according to home or away; wet or dry conditions. While I can understand the logic of rewarding the team (1st half) who played against Stoke at St Marys on a dry track- playing at Ninian Park on a wet day was a different proposition wasn't it? Maybe the inclusion of players like Thomas (even at right back), Euell, Wotton, Rasiak etc would have provided a better balance against a big

Cardiff side on a wet pitch.

Couldnt see many positives, we had little shape and we were left exposed down the wings a number of times. We lacked a decent striker, but Thomson and Lallana played well. I cant believe we cant to afford to keep one of our decent strikers (rasiak or John) especially after watching the game. severe lack of cutting edge, hopefully Lowe will have seen the game and think we might be able to keep one of them...

Couldnt see many positives, we had little shape and we were left exposed down the wings a number of times. We lacked a decent striker, but Thomson and Lallana played well. I cant believe we cant to afford to keep one of our decent strikers (rasiak or John) especially after watching the game. severe lack of cutting edge, hopefully Lowe will have seen the game and think we might be able to keep one of them...

I believe Lowe is on his hols???

It will take time for this side to gel and gain confidence in the CCC. I am a bit disappointed after the promise of the pre-season stuff against premiership teams but on the other hand, Cardiff may also be a very good team this year.. They certainly started well last season and looked dead certs for promotion until they faltered at Christmas.

So, no hasty judgements. If we get beaten by a range of teams of indifferent quality then clearly we'll need a Plan B but at the moment let's stick with Plan A and accept that even Paula Radcliffe couldn't run as a toddler.

The ball was definatley over the line! The players didnt recat to this when the goal was given, however they did react to the starnge lead up to the free kick they scored from!

Cardiff won a throw in on their left! The first player to the ball appeared to take the throw in, only for the player recieving the ball on the pitch to pick it up! The referee aloud them to what looked to me is to re-take the throw in! Resulting in them maintining possesion to then win the free-kick!

Couple of thoughts

Arsenal aren't a very big side either

Davies to come back

James won't make the same mistake again

Still think we'll bring in a loan FB once we sell or giveaway some of the high earners, who and what quality would likely depend on how much we get in.

Expected to lose, history and the fact so many debuts - the emotional drain on their stamina as much as anything else.

SJ probably needs to come in and help out, but needs to be done carefully so as not to dent DMG's confidence

So bit of a downer losing in the last minute, but at least not the utter horror and feeling of despair after the inept Palace performance of last year when all the high hopes sort of came crashing down.

Looking forward to trying to juggle things around and get a few games in this season now, after Charlton home last year sort of lost the motivation.

You'll have to ask the BBC, I'm afraid...

What a pity, all that wasted effort on sarcasm...

For what reason, exactly ?

Been reporting posts already, have you ???

Alpine, just a word to the wise. A lot of what you post makes good sense, even if people don't necessarily agree with you.

You do have a history, and to try for a clean slate with the same name is initially a trifle unrealistic.

I have really no interest in vitriolic cyber arguments, which descend from reason to stupidity and name calling. There is no doubt that some people on this site see your posts like a red rag to a bull. In the past I have witnessed the arguments and cringed at the comments which reminded me of playground name calling.

If you want a fresh start, your posting needs to be more dispassionate and whilst resisting the temptation to bite back, still make the points that your undoubted intelligence and eloquence would make interesting to all posters.

If those that try to wind you up succeed, you again lose the support of the majority. Conversely if they don't succeed you will have the support of many, rather than being viewed as a rabble rouser.

Alpine, just a word to the wise. A lot of what you post makes good sense, even if people don't necessarily agree with you.

You do have a history, and to try for a clean slate with the same name is initially a trifle unrealistic.

I have really no interest in vitriolic cyber arguments, which descend from reason to stupidity and name calling. There is no doubt that some people on this site see your posts like a red rag to a bull. In the past I have witnessed the arguments and cringed at the comments which reminded me of playground name calling.

If you want a fresh start, your posting needs to be more dispassionate and whilst resisting the temptation to bite back, still make the points that your undoubted intelligence and eloquence would make interesting to all posters.

If those that try to wind you up succeed, you again lose the support of the majority. Conversely if they don't succeed you will have the support of many, rather than being viewed as a rabble rouser.

Wise words, dude, it's just bloody difficult to sustain...

Look, I dont care how fancy-Dan Schneiderlin is, we dont have enough weight in midfield. We have two rocks at the central defence, but the opposition can just do f**king pincer movements around them.

Isn't 6ft and 11 1/2 stone pretty big for a midfielder?

http://www.football.co.uk/southampton/players/morgan_schneiderlin_124399.shtml

in fact just looked at a few other clubs who are tipped to do well and they don't have a single midfielder as big as him, and maybe he is still growing!

Don't let facts stand in the way of slagging of fancy Dan-Schneiderlin

Wise words, dude, it's just bloody difficult to sustain...

I know, I don't suffer fools. There is a time to re-assess, I think yours has come.

If you pull it off you will enjoy it more on here. Who needs hassle.

As an aside, I was devastated when Lowe came back, but I have to say I can't find much wrong with what he is doing, and the football played in the three matches I've seen, is far better than the dross of the last two years. It will be a rollercoaster and I can live with that.

Edited by derry

Schneiderlin is a great midfielder. He really reminds me a lot of Gerrard and how he was when he started. He is strong in the tackle, can spray the ball about with total accuracy and has a nasty power shot. In fact he took a shot on saturday which was blocked by a player, that player was almost crippled by it! The great thing is he will get better and better as have to remember that was his 1st first game starting and he has only played 5 competative games in his career. He is only 18! This season is going to be very hard but i am certain he will come out of it as a contender for player of the season.

Isn't 6ft and 11 1/2 stone pretty big for a midfielder?

http://www.football.co.uk/southampton/players/morgan_schneiderlin_124399.shtml

in fact just looked at a few other clubs who are tipped to do well and they don't have a single midfielder as big as him, and maybe he is still growing!

Don't let facts stand in the way of slagging of fancy Dan-Schneiderlin

That's because your interpretation of "lightweight" is too limited.

OK, so his physical dimensions are not bad, but he's a kid. So he is mentally lightweight, and isnt experienced enough to look after himself during the game physically.

He was running rings around people in the friendlies, and despite some great passing on Saturday apparently, he was substituted after an hour. If he was having a great game, he would have stayed on.

But I am not blaming him or anyone else for the defeat. I am simply using him as an example of how we need steel as well as talent..

OK, so his physical dimensions are not bad, but he's a kid. So he is mentally lightweight, and isnt experienced enough to look after himself during the game physically.

He was running rings around people in the friendlies, and despite some great passing on Saturday apparently, he was substituted after an hour. If he was having a great game, he would have stayed on.

But I am not blaming him or anyone else for the defeat. I am simply using him as an example of how we need steel as well as talent..

Sure he is. Just like Tiger was when he started winning majors at the age of what, 20??

Just like Becker was when he won Wimbledon at 17... Or Rooney? Or Walcott when he ripped Liverpool apart last season despite his weak-mindedness...

But best of all, this entire character assisination you contrive from a radio commentary and a message board. Total madness. Oh, and he maybe was substituted for tactical reasons?? Funnily enough that can happen in football...

I've actually watched the kid (I know been to a game of football, bizarre, eh??) twice and he is superbly talented, calm, composed and bloody hard working, tracking back and covering, tackling. But yes, I noticed him fall into pieces when he misplaced one pass and ask for his mom to take him home... He is also, of course 'learning the game' but I have seen no lack of steel. Have you?

Lordy, you did have some credibility last season Alpine. Don't become a charicature of yourself....

Edited by Legod Second Coming

Sure he is. Just like Tiger was when he started winning majors at the age of what, 20??

Just like Becker was when he won Wimbledon at 17... IOr Rooney? Or Walcott when he ripped Liverpool apart last season despite his weak-mindedness...

But best of all, this entire character assisination your contrive from a radio commentary and a message board. Total madness. Oh, and he maybe was subsituted for tactical reasons?? Funnily enough that can happen in football...

I've actually watched the kid (I know been to a game of football, bizarre, eh??) twice and he is superbly talented, calm, composed and bloody hard working, tracking back and covering, tackling. But yes, I noticed him fall into pieces when he misplaced one pass and ask for his mom to take him home... He is also, of course 'learning the game' but I have seen no lack of steel. Have you?

Lordy, you did have some credibility last season Alpine. Don't become a charicature of yourself....

This post is so laughingly OTT and hysterical, I thought twice about replying. Character assassination ??? LOL.

Tactical substitutions are utterly overrated. If someone is playing well, you dont substitute them, ever. Most of the time they make matters worse, not better. Morgan is going to be a fantastic player by all accounts with a big future, but I for one question whether we should be anchoring our midfield with an 18 year-old.

As for becoming a charicature, may I suggest you consider your own reactions to other peoples posts before making that accusation ?

This post is so laughingly OTT and hysterical, I thought twice about replying. Character assassination ??? LOL.

Tactical substitutions are utterly overrated. If someone is playing well, you dont substitute them, ever. Most of the time they make matters worse, not better. Morgan is going to be a fantastic player by all accounts with a big future, but I for one question whether we should be anchoring our midfield with an 18 year-old.

As for becoming a charicature, may I suggest you consider your own reactions to other peoples posts before making that accusation ?

Believe me, he does have talent, his passing is perceptive, he looks a very educated footballer, he and Gillett anchor the midfield, but unlike Safri last year sitting in a comfort zone added to others giving the ball away, these two get around the pitch and rarely give the ball away. He has played at the back, his tackling is not bad but he will develop. potentially and probably in the short term he will develop quickly.

There is no doubt he has quiet times but all players do, from reports we were being pushed back and that is what substitutions are for. However it sounds aas though Wootton didn't convince as his replacement.

It's early days, I'm hopeful of a better season, if not an altogether winning one.

once again slagging off saints player -based on what? Why?:confused:

I hve not posted actively for 18 months or so until last week but have read the various posts for the simple reason of being a little hacked off with Saints and numerous comments posted. However, I feel far more confident than for a long time so here goes:

Alpine Saint is not slagging off the young lad, he is simply stating the obvious. An 18 year old will not have the expereince yet to cope with the pressure of this important role. He has undoubted talent and needs to gain experience. playing in France is one thing, playing in the most competitive, quick moving,fitness demanding league is another. He will need a few games to adapt. The other comment about subing players - players do need to come off even if they are playing well......... a player who is physically drained will need to come off; a player physical knackered is at greater risk of injury especially an 18 year old.

I hve not posted actively for 18 months or so until last week but have read the various posts for the simple reason of being a little hacked off with Saints and numerous comments posted. However, I feel far more confident than for a long time so here goes:

Alpine Saint is not slagging off the young lad, he is simply stating the obvious. An 18 year old will not have the expereince yet to cope with the pressure of this important role. He has undoubted talent and needs to gain experience. playing in France is one thing, playing in the most competitive, quick moving,fitness demanding league is another. He will need a few games to adapt. The other comment about subing players - players do need to come off even if they are playing well......... a player who is physically drained will need to come off; a player physical knackered is at greater risk of injury especially an 18 year old.

he did slag him off. He didn't say, being 18 maybe he will turn out to be..etc he said he is mentally lghtweight.

NickG ?????

1) Why does being a kid mean he is mentally lightweight?

2) Why does a lack of experience have a bearing on his physical stature?

3) How can you make these statements when all you (and I, as my fisrt game won't be until next Saturday) have to go on is one radio commentary, some reports on the OS and some reports on this site?

I don't understand.