Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Post Match Reaction

Baj

Mild mannered minty is a lovely chap, it's there for all to see, if I had a choice of having a beer with minty or alpine I would choose minty, who would you lot choose??

I'd have a beer with Alpine and slip some Ex-Lax in to his (or Picolax for those medical types who know it's effects!).

The second bit relates to what WE do too.

I love the fact that Alpine can tell me we were 'lightweight' in midfield from a handful of statistics and the comfort of his sofa... yawn.

A team can have 99% possession and still not threaten.

The statistic that counts is, 1-2 - from a free kick on 90 minutes given away by a kid playing what, his first competitive game??

And yet Alpine writes off our season. Quality.

No-one thinks Llloyd James or Davy McG are computer literate then??

All this whailing and gnashing of teeth over a loss ot Cardiff, what's that doing for our confidence and morale as a club - because YES, WE are all this club, players and fans alike.

Far as I know we've lost nothing but 3 points today.

And yes we might lose every game this season and be relegated.

And people who lose hair fretting over it need to get a grip and grow the feck up.

I say again, we're going to be watching a lot of kids learning their trade.

If it's too much like hard work to take the knocks and be a man about it, then give up supporting.

I'm proud of young lads wearing a shirt I would DIE to wear.

There's no Burley, no Euell, no Wright to pillory so, tell you what, let's piilory the new team shall we - in their first competitive match. Call their 'bottle' and fight into question, accuse them of being lightweght?

When will people understand, THIS IS IT. Yeah?? Get it??

There's no Terry Hurlock waiting in the wings. No magic wand we can wave and buy Makele.

THIS IS IT.

Wake up!

What item of slightly-less-comfortable furniture were you sitting on this afternoon during the match then ?

I regret that you view the re-iteration of comments regarding the robustness of this team, being made by most observers of the club, as "pillory".

You have again referred to the free-kick Lloyd James conceeded. I'd like you to point out where I have slagged him off, or McG for that matter.

You are a passionate fan and I recall some rousing posts you made over the last two seasons, but you are wide-of-the-mark here, in my opinion.

But if it makes you feel a whole lot better :

COME ON YOU REDS - We will walk this league...

As others have said this we have lost there for 3 years and today sounded like our best chance of bringing something home..... It didn't happen and thats the rub of the green.

What it did sound like was that there was plenty of commitment and whilst it's not something the FA will like, i would rather see our players crowed round the ref, giving him a piece of their minds, gutted they had lost, than the players of the last few years, trying to pick out their girlfriends in the crowd and waving with big smiles on their faces after a defeat.

We are Saints, we can handle losing, just as long as the players put some effort in

What item of slightly-less-comfortable furniture were you sitting on this afternoon during the match then ?

I regret that you view the re-iteration of comments regarding the robustness of this team, being made by most observers of the club, as "pillory".

You have again referred to the free-kick Lloyd James conceeded. I'd like you to point out where I have slagged him off, or McG for that matter.

You are a passionate fan and I recall some rousing posts you made over the last two seasons, but you are wide-of-the-mark here, in my opinion.

But if it makes you feel a whole lot better :

COME ON YOU REDS - We will walk this league...

I can confirm (quite happily as I posted so on the build-up thread) that I was gutted not to be there today, because I was watching my younger daughter drive a Mercedes around Mercedes Benz World.

And I don't accuse 'you' personally of pillorying - although your general disregard for how we might have played and assumption that we were lightwight in midfield is laughable - although for all I know the way you imagined it from commentary could be 100% accurate.

But Alpine you are like a man who has seen the moon and extrapalated from that first sighting that it is a huge round football made of cheese hurtling towards earth to render us dust.

When you HAVE SEEN us play a couple of games, why not THEN tell us how our season will pan out??

Right thats it. I have had enough now of people baiting and taking the ****. Personally I dont give a **** what your opinion is but when people get personal thats it. Pack it in now. Football is all about opinions so deal with it.

Just for the record infractions will be dealt out so check your pm's shortly

I was at the game and the reason for the disputed goal wasn't whether or not it crossed the line, but that as Dave Jones has already stated the Saints players felt that Cardiff took a throw in twice. Giving away the freekick was foolish, but Lloyd James was pretty solid. However, he does seem to have the Jermaine Wright mentality of giving the winger too much space. Kelvin Davis' save in the second half was brilliant and he was confident coming for crosses and corners which was good to see. Killer and Perry were solid at the back and at times we played good football. It seems like there has been a lot of post-match negativity on the forum, but the support at the game was great, even at the end after we'd lost. My main concern would be that we were fine with the ball in the middle of the park, but we weren't all that convincing in the final third, McGoldrick was doing well to pressure the defenders in the opening half an hour, but after that he seemed to leave them to it. Lallana was quality, everything we did going forward went through him, but we just didn't commit many forward in support. It's really not as bad as some people are making out.

Can you post this and other opinions on the thread of those who were at the game?? Ta.

Sorry, you didnt mention which stand of Ninian Park you and Derry were watching the game from...

I haven't got an opinion on the Cardiff match except I would have preferred a draw. I have got an opinion on the Celtic, WHU and Stoke games, as I saw the games. I will have an opinion on the 30+ games I will see this season.

I respect the opinion of those that attend the matches even if it differs from mine.

However I have no time for opinions formed by people who haven't seen the match or team they are pontificating on.

Right thats it. I have had enough now of people baiting and taking the ****. Personally I dont give a **** what your opinion is but when people get personal thats it. Pack it in now. Football is all about opinions so deal with it.

Just for the record infractions will be dealt out so check your pm's shortly

I really wish it wouldnt come to this. I for one am doing my damnedest to stay on-subject...

Dave Merrington is notoriously difficult to please and he felt we were more than worthy of a point, and that we played quite well in what is arguably going to be one of our toughest games of the season.

It's always gutwrenching to lose in such a way but it's important to remember the amount of change over this close season and it sounded to me like we did alright... obviously not brilliant, but nothing shockingly bad either. So, I would suggest that we ignore some of the polar opinions, take it on the chin, hope that the players, with Jan's help, learn from it, and move on.

If nothing else, I don't think we can fault the players' effort out there today, which is something that has been lacking in the past... other things will come with time, but if they give 100% then I can't criticise too much.

On to Tuesday and a quick chance to get a win under our belts.

It sounded like a promising start to me. From what I heard on the radio it augurs well for the future.

Glass definitely half full IMO.

I haven't got an opinion on the Cardiff match except I would have preferred a draw. I have got an opinion on the Celtic, WHU and Stoke games, as I saw the games. I will have an opinion on the 30+ games I will see this season.

I respect the opinion of those that attend the matches even if it differs from mine.

However I have no time for opinions formed by people who haven't seen the match or team they are pontificating on.

Does this mean Saints fans that live abroad are not entitled to an opinion ?

I really wish it wouldnt come to this. I for one am doing my damnedest to stay on-subject...

And for the record I agree with you 100% that we should BOTH be free to exercise our passions - I actually quite like the fact that you have an opinion and are not swayed in the wind!!!

I just vehemently disagree with you today and as you know it is NOT personal, ever!! :)

32% possession? And some people think we played well?!

I only heard the last 20 minutes of the game on the internet and for that period all of the possession seemed to be us, so I am not sure where the 38% came from unless we had virtually none for the rest of the match.

I will be lucky to see the Saints six times this season but from all the posts reports and personal conversations I believe I understand how they are playing and I am fully entitled to post.

You are entitled to an opinion, however an opinion on a team you haven't seen, or a match you haven't seen, is valueless in my view.

I will only pass an opinion on players and matches I have actually seen. If I don't see the matches I will be reading with interest posts from those that were there, ignoring those that are passing opinions without seeing the matches.

That is why we really need a postmatch thread exclusively for those who attended each match.

You are entitled to an opinion, however an opinion on a team you haven't seen, or a match you haven't seen, is valueless in my view.

I will only pass an opinion on players and matches I have actually seen. If I don't see the matches I will be reading with interest posts from those that were there, ignoring those that are passing opinions without seeing the matches.

That is why we really need a postmatch thread exclusively for those who attended each match.

Spot on....on that see my comments on the other thread. Overall I thought we played well, Cardiff probably just the better side but when we passed the ball we looked superb.

I will be lucky to see the Saints six times this season but from all the posts reports and personal conversations I believe I understand how they are playing and I am fully entitled to post.

Posting is not necessarily passing an opinion on a match. What I find valueless is posting opinions on a match based on the opinions of people who didn't see the match.

Spot on....on that see my comments on the other thread. Overall I thought we played well, Cardiff probably just the better side but when we passed the ball we looked superb.

As we did in the three games I have seen so far.

Agree with all you say.

Two good points from this game:

Killer got another 90mins without injury. Let's hope there is no reaction in the week.

The kids started their steep learning curve about the realities of competitive football.

This was a good result, almost a fantastic one against one of the uglier teams in the division, but it has underlined the struggle we will have this season.

Well, apologies Alpine, you have been reasonably positive on this thread in places. We may well struggle, but speaking as somebody else living in the Alps who hasn't seen any of the 90 minutes played so far this season, I'm not prepared to be so definitive about matters. I have concerns too: I hope the scenario seen in this game doesn't repeat itself too often, but it doesn't 'underline the struggle' at all. We may struggle but that statement is just your habitual delight in looking on the dark side of things, and giving your views in a style that expresses no doubt.

Thanks, by the way to those comments from those who were at the game. Certainly sounds better than losing 4-1 at home to Palace!

Moral victory number one. But no points and that really is the point. I desperately want to be wrong but I think this is likley to be repeated many times this season. We will almost get a point or even almost win but this team is just not likely to be good enough.

I don't know if the ball crossed the line but we were under pressure for much of the game. There was an inevitability about the outcome. I know it's one game and there's a long way to go but I think the pundits are right. I am just being realistic.

Please let me be wrong and I will happily eat humble pie when these youngsters show they can beat the old pro's.

It's that inevitability that you mention that got us relegated from the premiership. The players felt it & the fans felt it. The reason the kids have a chance is that they shouldn't feel it just yet - now if the fans can shake off that feeling then that would help as well.

Too many people are assuming that today is as good as it is going to get,which is patent nonsense.These youngsters will be unrecognisable by the end of the season.

They are also lucky to be given the chance that they would have been unlikely to have got elsewhere.They are also priveleged to be reciving intelligent coaching to a degree they would never experience otherwise.It is because of this that they will take thier chance.

The Itchen bridge is still there the last time i looked.

My God, there is some crap being written on here by some folks with no sense of reality. OK, we lost 2-1 with a goal at the death, after we came from behind to equalise before half-time. For periods we were in control, FFS how many thought we would do that well. First half we had 5 corners, McG gets his first goal.

There are 45 games to go, no-one seriously thought we would get a win at Cardiff, I predicted 1-1 and was so nearly right. 32% posession sounds bad, but actually its not bad for an away team, and anyway its what yo do with the possession that counts.

As previous poster mentioned in the Jones interview, Killer and McG confirmed on Radio Hants that the ball crossed the line, it was the throw-in that was in dispute. Killer also held his hands up to being at fault for the goal, as he lost his marker. Also stated he was knackered. What a great man, nice to hear someone so obviously upset and hurting about a loss (as was McG).

What we need now is a morale-boosting win against The Grecians on Tuesday (without Killer) and we will be up for it against Brum. Just hope that JP doesn't make wholesale changes for Tuesday, the team needs to get to know each other and how to play and how to win or lose as a unit. OK, so rest Killer, but don't change anything else please.

Well done lads, despite my summer of negativity I think we will be OK once we get a win under our belt, we are not as bad as some of the whingers on here would like to believe.

It's that inevitability that you mention that got us relegated from the premiership. The players felt it & the fans felt it. The reason the kids have a chance is that they shouldn't feel it just yet - now if the fans can shake off that feeling then that would help as well.

I think there is more of it on here, however there seems a much more positive reaction from those attending the matches, which is the important thing.

Agree with all you say.

Can I just point out that the thread is called "post match reaction" ?

To me, that means anyone is entitled to comment on their emotional reaction to :

i) The result

ii) The manner of performance, personally witnessed or reported via media sources including this site during the game

iii) What the result means looking forward to the next game and the rest of the season

I find it troubling that there is a element of opinion out there that believes anyone not at a game should somehow be gagged from revealing their reaction to it.

After all, if we thumped a team 6-0, and a non-attender came on here and said "F**king Brilliant !!!", no one would then say "shut up, you weren't there".

For me, this argument about not attending somehow nullifies the reaction to a game and the possible consequence it might have for the season is no more than a mechanism to try to dismiss someone's whose opinion you disagree with.

Completely agree.

Too many people are assuming that today is as good as it is going to get,which is patent nonsense.These youngsters will be unrecognisable by the end of the season.

They are also lucky to be given the chance that they would have been unlikely to have got elsewhere.They are also priveleged to be reciving intelligent coaching to a degree they would never experience otherwise.It is because of this that they will take thier chance.

The Itchen bridge is still there the last time i looked.

I hope you are right my only concern would be will we burn them out , in the past youngsters have played and then been rested, Ted even did that with Chivers and Channon.

See, now I havent made any polemic comments like this. I've looked at the comments made by the pundits during the match, the possession figures and also the result. I have not slagged down the youngster who conceeded the free kick, or Kelvin Davies, who from what I can tell had a great game. I have also not abused any fellow posters.

All I've done is cast grave doubts about the strength, stamina and will of this team to grind out the results required, on the backdrop on dire financial circumstances at the club prevent reinforcement, to avoid relegation.

Can someone explain the aggression in the responses I've got ?

All you have done is raise valid concerns about the ability of this young team to grind out results and there is feck all wrong with that. The only thing I can think of that might explain the aggression in the responses you've got is that maybe you might have been aggressive to other posters on here in the past. Could this solve the riddle?

Can I just point out that the thread is called "post match reaction" ?

To me, that means anyone is entitled to comment on their emotional reaction to :

i) The result

ii) The manner of performance, personally witnessed or reported via media sources including this site during the game

iii) What the result means looking forward to the next game and the rest of the season

I find it troubling that there is a element of opinion out there that believes anyone not at a game should somehow be gagged from revealing their reaction to it.

After all, if we thumped a team 6-0, and a non-attender came on here and said "F**king Brilliant !!!", no one would then say "shut up, you weren't there".

For me, this argument about not attending somehow nullifies the reaction to a game and the possible consequence it might have for the season is no more than a mechanism to try to dismiss someone's whose opinion you disagree with.

A very eloquent view. If you did this, it wouldn't constitute an opinion on a team, players, or match you hadn't seen. But you didn't do this, you were specific with your criticism of the team. Since the people who attended the match, have posted, it sounded a reasonable performance, if not a great result.

All you have done is raise valid concerns about the ability of this young team to grind out results and there is feck all wrong with that. The only thing I can think of that might explain the aggression in the responses you've got is that maybe you might have been aggressive to other posters on here in the past. Could this solve the riddle?

a can of worms

Quite right!! Heck, My opinion is worthless (and I'm not being sarcastic)

I can't see the game, and I log on here to try and get a better perspective from those that actually saw the game. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best I have. And it works fairly well thanks to those that can attend matches and remain objective on the forum.

I think the problem is mate that you are undoubtedly one of the most negative people I have ever come across, and coming from someone who is well known amongst his family and friends as a right old sourpuss that is saying something!

I haven't seen any abusive posts by you but do think your sunny disposition is always likely to lead to you receiving a bit of needle and would imagine that you are hardly surprised by the reaction.

No I wasn't there either and as such I can't comment on the performance. I'm proud that our young team went to the F.A. Cup finalists on the first day of the season and ran them close. Yes I have a few worries about the team but I don't think today is the day to harp on about them. I hope that getting that first game out of the way will stand the young'uns in good stead and that we will move forwards. I don't think we will truly know what the season has in store until we've got through the first 10 games.

A very eloquent view. If you did this, it wouldn't constitute an opinion on a team, players, or match you hadn't seen. But you didn't do this, you were specific with your criticism of the team. Since the people who attended the match, have posted, it sounded a reasonable performance, if not a great result.

Are you certain ?

I seem to recall only commenting on the possession rate, my suspicions as to the cause of it and the likely impact on the season..

Reckon you have something there.

I think there is an element of expectation about my posts. Personally, I've tried to come on the new site with a clean slate, and have only reacted to posts since the new site started. Not much I can do if others cant leave their baggage behind.

Anyhow, this isnt Saints related, so let's move on...

Are you certain ?

I seem to recall only commenting on the possession rate, my suspicions as to the cause of it and the likely impact on the season..

Not strong enough, lightweight, fancy dan Schneiderlin, pretty football.

If you don't watch the team how can you make comments like this.

I think there is an element of expectation about my posts. Personally, I've tried to come on the new site with a clean slate, and have only reacted to posts since the new site started. Not much I can do if others cant leave their baggage behind.

No alps, don't contradict yourself. You have been whinging that we are too lightweight for days!!!

Oh, did you notice the free-kick count - 11-13 in our favour. That bruiser enough for you?? LOL

Don't worry about it mate. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Quite right!! Heck, My opinion is worthless (and I'm not being sarcastic)

I can't see the game, and I log on here to try and get a better perspective from those that actually saw the game. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best I have. And it works fairly well thanks to those that can attend matches and remain objective on the forum.

I understand how you feel, I have watched Saints live/recorded on tv in Peru, Ecuador, US, India, Malaysia, Canada, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, and many other places, I wish that I could have had the website it would have made supporting Saints much easier. Canada Saint is an old mate, I know he values the access.

I like the discussion but don't see how anyone can be critical without seeing the match.

Just back from the game, and we did not deserve anything out of it. We had a good opening spell where we didnt make it count , then spent the rest of the game on the back foot. It could be viewed as a positive that we scored with pretty much our only shot on target!

Well it is difficult to sum up this games performance really. There were a lot of positives to be taken and a lot of negatives. First off well done to the travelling supporters was an excellent turn out considering the size of that hole. Also was pleasing to see most of us laughed at the reaction Dyer got and some even joined in the “thieving bastard” chant, was a funny moment!

Now down to the football. The first 25mins I felt we were totally in control. The boys looked well up for it and were zipping the ball around amazingly. Schneiderlin is a quality player and has really great passing skills. I will say now he is probably going to be one of our best signings ever and if we can keep him could go on to be a legend here! Cardiff looked really nervous and the football they were showing reminded me of us at the start of last season. Nervous, nobody moving to collect the ball, no communication and rather then go for a short easy pass just lump it up field. Where as we were playing the ball on the ground and taking our time rather then lose possession so easily. Even Davis was making easy passes rather then kick it up field to their goalie as he had done so many times last season.

We pushed forward well and had quite a few corners. However in that period we had no clear chances and no real shots at goal which was a bit of a downer. After that Cardiff started to come back into it and started to boss the game. We tried to harass them when they had possession and that was very good to see. They had some good shots and Davis made some cracking saves. But the biggest positive was Killer! If he wasn’t playing we would have lost by quite a bit I think. He used his experience to make so many clearances and get ahead of players to get a touch on the ball that helped ease the pressure on us. Perry made a few mistakes but overall also did ok. I think all of us knew we were starting to be pegged back and for the following 20mins or so we never really went forward with any conviction. Davis made a superb save from Whittingham’s shot but then a few minutes later we just caved in and they scored from like 1cm out. When we kicked off we did a few long balls and I think I started to think “oh no were going to get mauled now”.

But Surman made a quality cross for Mcgoldrick to strike and we were back in it! But I have to be honest here we didn’t really deserve that goal as for the previous 20-25mins we had hardly got out of our half let alone created many chances. Second half starts and not much really happens except for Killer almost killing someone, was great to see! We had a shot I think from Morgan and then we started to be pegged back again like just before half time. The next 20mins was all them really with Svensson and Perry defending well. Then we had a nice little spell where we started to come back into it and get forward a bit more but again didn’t really create anything to danger the score. After that the subs happened and I think they didn’t really help us in all honesty. Schneiderlin I felt was playing well so not sure if he was injured? I thought Thomson was doing well but he looked knackered as he ran his socks off as did all of them.

By this point I think it was clear we had settled for the draw and we would have been happy with that. A point from this game with so few shots on goal would have been a great result. But with that comes the invitation to get so many people back it is hard to relieve the pressure. Dyer was pretty disappointing in my book; he as always was just brushed off the ball when someone slightly touches him. However he and BWP were our only real source to get ball away from goal. Eventually the pressure counted and after some poor defending and failing to clear Davis scrambled to get to the ball. At the time I thought it was an awful decision and like most was ****ed off that a referee had screwed us again. But on the way home the general census was it was actually over the line by quite a bit and the reason everyone was annoyed was due to the fact they might have taken a throw twice…. After that we had no time to do anything.

So on reflection I have to ask myself did we deserve to lose the game. Trying to be non biased I have to say we did. We had very few chances on goal and for majority of the match were defending and doing it well. Our keeper made some good saves where as I can’t recall theirs doing anything. We had a lot of corners but Holmes wasted them. So a lot of people on here last season complained about teams who came to St Mary’s and played for the draw, people complained about the 1-0 style of some teams. We tried to do that today. So to be fair we didn’t really threaten their goal to say we deserved to win. And if it weren’t for Killer and Davis the score would have been very different. Though DMG scored a well taken goal like so many times with our strikers last season he was largely anonymous. Lallana I felt did ok and made some decent runs of which on a different day might have been a bit more lucky with. So I would have to say in comparison to our game their in march I think we played better and created a lot more chances in that game then this game. We looked a better attacking team then in my opinion and that game we didn’t deserve to lose. This one I don’t think we did enough to win it and to draw we were always holding on.

But there are positives and a lot of them. The team is a young team who have played only three times before with each other. They put in more effort in that 90mins then a lot of players did for the whole of last season. They tried really hard and ran until the final whistle. Killer is back and was MOTM by far. And in my view the biggest positive of all is these players have now gained some experience. They are learning and they will need time. People have to remember that and not expect the world from them. There is a long way to go but if we can keep Svensson fit and work on that final third so we create chances we will be safe from trouble I feel. However if something keeps Killer and Davies out I do worry that could be a huge problem for us. Also I wonder if leaving out the experienced players is a good idea. Confidence is key and right now I can’t imagine those players are too happy at the way they have been treated. If things go wrong and we have to call on them will they give us the effort we will need? It is a unique situation I feel where there are like 2 teams here. The youngsters and the old guys.

I can imagine people will say we didn’t deserve to lose and in a lot of regards they are right. But I think it depends a lot on how you approach a game. I felt we settled for a point too early and that might have been a bad decision. We tried counter attack football and it didn’t really work. So as I said mixed views really, a lot of good and a few bad. I’m sure we will improve. Also it must be worth noting I think Cardiff are just as poor as we are really. I can’t see them being in the top half either.

Well it is difficult to sum up this games performance really. There were a lot of positives to be taken and a lot of negatives. First off well done to the travelling supporters was an excellent turn out considering the size of that hole. Also was pleasing to see most of us laughed at the reaction Dyer got and some even joined in the “thieving bastard” chant, was a funny moment!

Now down to the football. The first 25mins I felt we were totally in control. The boys looked well up for it and were zipping the ball around amazingly. Schneiderlin is a quality player and has really great passing skills. I will say now he is probably going to be one of our best signings ever and if we can keep him could go on to be a legend here! Cardiff looked really nervous and the football they were showing reminded me of us at the start of last season. Nervous, nobody moving to collect the ball, no communication and rather then go for a short easy pass just lump it up field. Where as we were playing the ball on the ground and taking our time rather then lose possession so easily. Even Davis was making easy passes rather then kick it up field to their goalie as he had done so many times last season.

We pushed forward well and had quite a few corners. However in that period we had no clear chances and no real shots at goal which was a bit of a downer. After that Cardiff started to come back into it and started to boss the game. We tried to harass them when they had possession and that was very good to see. They had some good shots and Davis made some cracking saves. But the biggest positive was Killer! If he wasn’t playing we would have lost by quite a bit I think. He used his experience to make so many clearances and get ahead of players to get a touch on the ball that helped ease the pressure on us. Perry made a few mistakes but overall also did ok. I think all of us knew we were starting to be pegged back and for the following 20mins or so we never really went forward with any conviction. Davis made a superb save from Whittingham’s shot but then a few minutes later we just caved in and they scored from like 1cm out. When we kicked off we did a few long balls and I think I started to think “oh no were going to get mauled now”.

But Surman made a quality cross for Mcgoldrick to strike and we were back in it! But I have to be honest here we didn’t really deserve that goal as for the previous 20-25mins we had hardly got out of our half let alone created many chances. Second half starts and not much really happens except for Killer almost killing someone, was great to see! We had a shot I think from Morgan and then we started to be pegged back again like just before half time. The next 20mins was all them really with Svensson and Perry defending well. Then we had a nice little spell where we started to come back into it and get forward a bit more but again didn’t really create anything to danger the score. After that the subs happened and I think they didn’t really help us in all honesty. Schneiderlin I felt was playing well so not sure if he was injured? I thought Thomson was doing well but he looked knackered as he ran his socks off as did all of them.

By this point I think it was clear we had settled for the draw and we would have been happy with that. A point from this game with so few shots on goal would have been a great result. But with that comes the invitation to get so many people back it is hard to relieve the pressure. Dyer was pretty disappointing in my book; he as always was just brushed off the ball when someone slightly touches him. However he and BWP were our only real source to get ball away from goal. Eventually the pressure counted and after some poor defending and failing to clear Davis scrambled to get to the ball. At the time I thought it was an awful decision and like most was ****ed off that a referee had screwed us again. But on the way home the general census was it was actually over the line by quite a bit and the reason everyone was annoyed was due to the fact they might have taken a throw twice…. After that we had no time to do anything.

So on reflection I have to ask myself did we deserve to lose the game. Trying to be non biased I have to say we did. We had very few chances on goal and for majority of the match were defending and doing it well. Our keeper made some good saves where as I can’t recall theirs doing anything. We had a lot of corners but Holmes wasted them. So a lot of people on here last season complained about teams who came to St Mary’s and played for the draw, people complained about the 1-0 style of some teams. We tried to do that today. So to be fair we didn’t really threaten their goal to say we deserved to win. And if it weren’t for Killer and Davis the score would have been very different. Though DMG scored a well taken goal like so many times with our strikers last season he was largely anonymous. Lallana I felt did ok and made some decent runs of which on a different day might have been a bit more lucky with. So I would have to say in comparison to our game their in march I think we played better and created a lot more chances in that game then this game. We looked a better attacking team then in my opinion and that game we didn’t deserve to lose. This one I don’t think we did enough to win it and to draw we were always holding on.

But there are positives and a lot of them. The team is a young team who have played only three times before with each other. They put in more effort in that 90mins then a lot of players did for the whole of last season. They tried really hard and ran until the final whistle. Killer is back and was MOTM by far. And in my view the biggest positive of all is these players have now gained some experience. They are learning and they will need time. People have to remember that and not expect the world from them. There is a long way to go but if we can keep Svensson fit and work on that final third so we create chances we will be safe from trouble I feel. However if something keeps Killer and Davies out I do worry that could be a huge problem for us. Also I wonder if leaving out the experienced players is a good idea. Confidence is key and right now I can’t imagine those players are too happy at the way they have been treated. If things go wrong and we have to call on them will they give us the effort we will need? It is a unique situation I feel where there are like 2 teams here. The youngsters and the old guys.

I can imagine people will say we didn’t deserve to lose and in a lot of regards they are right. But I think it depends a lot on how you approach a game. I felt we settled for a point too early and that might have been a bad decision. We tried counter attack football and it didn’t really work. So as I said mixed views really, a lot of good and a few bad. I’m sure we will improve. Also it must be worth noting I think Cardiff are just as poor as we are really. I can’t see them being in the top half either.

Thank you for the excellent analysis. Worth reading and well considered. Cheers.