Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Post Match Reaction

Baj

Yep, 45 more games to go, eh lads ?

This goal was inevitable. We gave Cardiff 64% of the possession, FFS !

The team is simply not strong enough. They held on valliantly for 99% of the game, but this story is going to repeat itself throughout the season as the opposing team wear down and unlock the weaknesses in the team.

Hey Alpine I can see you in Dads Army shouting "Were doomed all doomed" :)

Yep, 45 more games to go, eh lads ?

This goal was inevitable. We gave Cardiff 64% of the possession, FFS !

The team is simply not strong enough. They held on valliantly for 99% of the game, but this story is going to repeat itself throughout the season as the opposing team wear down and unlock the weaknesses in the team.

I think the reason why people get ****ed off with you is that you always seem far happier when we lose than when we win.

And you often write complete arse. Just IMHO of course.

It's one game. We did OK. We need some work in a few areas - right back and up front I think. But your sense of 'inevitability' is just tosh.

Mind you if I lived in Austria I'd be quite depressed too.

Well it will be interesting to read some reviews from people who actually saw the game. Comments from this thread so far include things along the line of..

'..if it was for Kelvin we'd have lost by 7 or more....'

'...saints on the backfoot for much of the game according to SSN..'

'...saints the better team according to Hants radio...'

'...Radio Cardiff says Cardiff were the better team...'

'We did well, I don't care what anyone says. We could have just as easily got the 3 points. '

So which is really true?

Different chairman, different manager, different coaches, different style, different players, different shirts - but, who'd have thought it, same old Saints snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in injury time yet again. Welcome back to the world of te Saints, eh?

I think the reason why people get ****ed off with you is that you always seem far happier when we lose than when we win.

It's one game. We did OK. We need some work in a few areas - right back and up front I think. But your sense of 'inevitability' is just tosh.

Who does Alps keep in his cellar?

Hey Alpine I can see you in Dads Army shouting "Were doomed all doomed" :)

Look, I dont care how fancy-Dan Schneiderlin is, we dont have enough weight in midfield. We have two rocks at the central defence, but the opposition can just do f**king pincer movements around them.

It doesn't matter whether the ball had crossed the line or not, we didn't defend it properly in the first place and we have no points. We seemed to be playing well to begin with, with plenty of good passing and movement, but slowly but surely Cardiff came back into it and it was us who were on the back foot for the last 15 minutes of the first half. It appeared to be much more even in the second half, but their goallie hardly had a save to make all afternoon. According to Radio Solent, we lacked a cutting edge. I also noted that Lee Holmes didn't do that much on the left, neither did Thompson on the right. Things looked much brighter when they were replaced by B-WP and Dyer, although they are both right sided players. Although he scored, which will be great for his confidence, McG didn't seem to do much else.

I don't know what conclusion to reach from this. We were close to a point which would be a fair return for a first game, but despite Svensson having an awesome game, I'm still worried about the ability of our defence to defend set pieces on the one hand and the inability to score from them at the other end.

That's why I wrote it was almost a "fantastic" result, isnt it ?

****ed off to lose to a last minute goal, would have been a good point.

I am a bit more confident about staying up though, sounded like we did OK and I expected us to get stuffed. It's how we play against the other relegation candidates that really matters, we always do **** at Cardiff.

Oh well, another set piece goal defeat and the summer finger nail growth chewed back to the bone all in the space of 90 mins .... welcome back to the football season as a Saints Fan :cool:

Not too amny clear chances for us, but the general standard of play sounded much better than most of last season. 1st half plenty of possession and good passing, but 2nd half we fell away and couldn't get the ball to pass it around. This is where we need more experience, maintaining possession when we get it ... not that any of the oldies could do that last season :confused:

Be interesting to see what team we line up with at Exeter .... play the oldies and keep the youngsters fresh for the league .. turning the normal thinking on its head :eek:

Dave Merrington is notoriously difficult to please and he felt we were more than worthy of a point, and that we played quite well in what is arguably going to be one of our toughest games of the season.

It's always gutwrenching to lose in such a way but it's important to remember the amount of change over this close season and it sounded to me like we did alright... obviously not brilliant, but nothing shockingly bad either. So, I would suggest that we ignore some of the polar opinions, take it on the chin, hope that the players, with Jan's help, learn from it, and move on.

If nothing else, I don't think we can fault the players' effort out there today, which is something that has been lacking in the past... other things will come with time, but if they give 100% then I can't criticise too much.

On to Tuesday and a quick chance to get a win under our belts.

Look, I dont care how fancy-Dan Schneiderlin is, we dont have enough weight in midfield. We have two rocks at the central defence, but the opposition can just do f**king pincer movements around them.

quite simply you do not have a clue what you are talking about. How big was Schneiderlin when you saw him? If not look it up. Totally clueless

Two good points from this game:

Killer got another 90mins without injury. Let's hope there is no reaction in the week.

The kids started their steep learning curve about the realities of competitive football.

This was a good result, almost a fantastic one against one of the uglier teams in the division, but it has underlined the struggle we will have this season.

A good result? Jeeez.......

Time to smell the coffee methinks......

Different chairman, different manager, different coaches, different style, different players, different shirts - but, who'd have thought it, same old Saints snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in injury time yet again. Welcome back to the world of te Saints, eh?

Agree , all too predictable.Still the season will even itself out with last minute winners for us .... not.

Saint's best player was their keeper, they can't keep the ball and they lost...

Too early to get carried away but there are very few positives anyone who isn't deluded can take from that.

agree a loss isn't positive, but its not the end of the world -remember they have easily beaten us there for the last three years - they are on an up after cup final, they have a real feel good factor there etc

Reinforces my view that we will be comfortably better than last year

Many Saints fans don't deserve a good team to support. Lots of teams will lose at Cardiff, this result is by no means a disgrace. We just take the positives (no injuries, one away game out the way, first CCC goal for DMG, 90mins for killer, lots of debuts) and move on to the next games.

Much better than last seasons first game with the so called experienced players!