Updated : Tadanari Lee Set to Sign

Matthew Le Tissier

For those wondering as to his goal record/caps/style of play, the blog (http://www.theelastico.com/?p=1262) from September on J-League players destined to move abroad linked in the other thread has further details:

Exacerbated by the abundance of creative midfielders, the lack of a top quality striker is often seen as a limiting factor behind why Japan is yet to break into the top bracket of international football.

Ironically it may be that Japan has found the answer in Tadanari Lee; a player that, but for an unwelcoming experience with their U20 team, could well have been representing Japan’s main rivals, South Korea.

Having been strongly linked with a move to Hertha Berlin this gone window, (it was somewhat surprising that the move failed to materialise) out of anyone currently playing in the J.League he is the most likely to make the move.

However, despite being the current lone striker for Japan, boasting an 11 goal haul so far this season for his club Sanfrecce Hiroshima and an exquisite volley against Australia to win the Asia Cup final, he is not the most accomplished of finishers.

His major strength lies with the ability to link up with the midfield. Although not the biggest in terms of height (182cm) or build, he does make use of what physicality he has very well. Very hard working, clever with his movement in drifting between markers and confidence in his first touch to both shield and lay off the ball, Lee provides a good target for midfielders of the likes of Honda and Kagawa to work off of.

Aerially more of a goal threat than on the ground, the intelligence of his movement in terms of build up is equally apparent in his ability to finding space in the area. This, combined with an intensity and tenacity to his forward play that is perhaps lacking in a lot of Japanese players, hints at the possibility that with good service his goal scoring fortunes would prosper.

A continued berth up front for Japan and with teams increasingly employing 4-3-3 formations and requiring their lone strikers to not just focus on goalscoring, Lee will be attractive option for a lot of clubs next summer.

Interesting but I really don't see how he will get a work permit with only ten caps he can't hit the % targets necessary. I really think this one is a waste of time

Well I don't know the ins and outs, but I really don't see mr Cortese as the type to spend a lot of time chasing lost causes. I would imagine they are very confident re the permit.

I imagine that, for possibly the first time, "Image Rights" are a big issue for Saints on this signing.

Tadanari brings an Asian audience, potentially 19,000 new shirt sales straight off from his twitter followers let alone their families and friends if Saints become the new "cool" team to support in the EPL for them....At £59 including his name on the back per shirt I make that £1.12 million in shirt sales alone - which is a lot more than £800k pa wages. If they buy a full kit or buy more than one its a lot more...Im not up on what the GP on the shirts is but I cant believe we make less than £40-£50 on a shirt so it does pay his salary i reckon...

He basically should more than pay for his wages by shirt sales plus more paid-for asian tv coverage. Though I'm dubious of that - like most of you I occasionally watch live matches via asian feeds without needing to pay a subscription...The bonus is if he is any good and can score a few goals!

I imagine that, for possibly the first time, "Image Rights" are a big issue for Saints on this signing.

Tadanari brings an Asian audience, potentially 19,000 new shirt sales straight off from his twitter followers let alone their families and friends if Saints become the new "cool" team to support in the EPL for them....At £59 including his name on the back per shirt I make that £1.12 million in shirt sales alone - which is a lot more than £800k pa wages. If they buy a full kit or buy more than one its a lot more...Im not up on what the GP on the shirts is but I cant believe we make less than £40-£50 on a shirt so it does pay his salary i reckon...

He basically should more than pay for his wages by shirt sales plus more paid-for asian tv coverage. Though I'm dubious of that - like most of you I occasionally watch live matches via asian feeds without needing to pay a subscription...The bonus is if he is any good and can score a few goals!

Well I hope they don't get the shirts printed up until the bloke actually gets onto the roster.

They've got 30000 BECKHAM shirts down at PSG going cheap.

Plus there's no VAT on exports so the price will go down quite a bit.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I follow Joey Barton on twitter. I havent bought a QPR shirt though.......

I dont expect image rights to be such an issue. He's only made 10 apps for Japan.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Reports by BBC Solent say he has signed a 2 1/2 year deal with a salary of £800,000 pa; double his current deal.

I dont expect image rights to be such an issue. He's only made 10 apps for Japan.

Exactly. How many Latvian fans did we pick up when we signed Marian Pahars. Hardly any and he was their best player. I've no doubt we will pick up a few fans in Asia if this goes through, but I think people talking about Park at Man Utd and 19,000 replica shirts are getting a bit carried away.

Don't be stupid.

I think the 19000 figure is just to make a point. For a player with only 10 caps thats not a bad following and the potential to increase if he does well with us and gets into the Prem is quite large I would say. Also not all of his true followers will be on twitter so there is potential via many other streams in the asian market.

Lallana only has 10K on twitter and Chaplow 8K I think. I would guess at most of Lallana's being saints fans with Chaplows followers ranging over the few clubs he has been at. Tada's tweets are all in Japanese by the looks of it and dont think he has been at many clubs so I wonder why his followers are following him? Club followers or national? Scoring the winner in the Asia cup must of gained him a fair few from all over Japan and if he moves here his Japanese following maybe more due to the national link and in turn raise our profile over there.

If we and he does well it will no doubt gain us some asian supporters so the whole shirt sale thing must be worth the clubs effort to tap into.

Lol at people talking about image rights and shirt sales. What planet are you lot on? I still couldn't even buy a Saints shirt in Bournemouth!

Thats true actually. The club will need to re-think their idea that shirts are only sold via the club shop and will have to find a way to get them into general sports shops everywhere if they want to make the most of shirt sales anywhere else.

Edited by saintjay77

So "Japanese International Star"; "Scored winner against Australia in Asia Cup Final" so waht's missing from the perfect CV

No effing Premier League team is interested....

So how has this amazing talent slipped through the net?

Another Adkins hunch who will soon join Rochdale on loan?

Believe it or not, there are teams and players outside of the UK. We just managed to get in there at the right time. At the end of their season, with their club in financial difficulties and with, no doubt, a strong cash offer.

So "Japanese International Star"; "Scored winner against Australia in Asia Cup Final" so waht's missing from the perfect CV

words fail me re your negativity!!

Right been having a look and doing a bit of the old fag packet maths.

Lee had no international caps before the Asia Cup, including that tournament he's played 9 times for Japan from 17 international fixtures so that's not 75% of the fixtures is it.He might not have been available for all of them though but if the Home Office stick strictly to the 75% in the last 2 years rule we're going to struggle again here.

English clubs are well known for pillaging the Asian player market, aren't they?

Along with the likes of Dune, and a few others, I'd label you as a WUM, I suspect you said the same about a certain Celtic player, who is now indispensable. Mong!

reports in asia suggested that he rejected QPR to join us

JOS HOOIVELD - not a bad hunch eh!

Doubt a team at the top of the league would risk buying someone who has no Premier league experience, and again and the bottom of the league, with seven clubs near the relegation zone I'm sure they'd rather buy someone in who has premier league experience or experience of playing in the English League..

Think the key word is experience..

Despite that, yes it is a risk, but I'm sure Adkins will be in for another striker who has proven themselves in this league, or higher..

Go away.