Preston 2-3 Saints - You've Gotta be Havin' a Laugh

Arizona

i am stunned...litterally stunned..

added to the joy, pompey lose to an last min winner...

great day

I have to say coming back from 2-0 I never envisaged however I had a feeling that a Saints win was due and even had a bet on a Saints win at 4/1 with bet365 (first time I have backed Saints this season). I wish I had doubled it up with Wigan winning at Pompey though!! Great day!!

Edited by KK the 2nd

I dont think the manager was saying things like - "we are ****", "we are going down" , blah blah blah

Jan is not a negative manager who just screams at the players

I also believe that the away fans didnt give up as did all the 1st half negative turd posters

If they were he type of fans who were there we probably would have lost

They were singing until the end and rightly got to experience the joy of the win

Jan says "the happiness of the fans gave happiness to the players"

As you can see I am someone who believes in encouraging others!

(apart from having a pop at ****s)

That's why football can be so wonderful to watch. It can be a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Let's all enjoy this brillant result and not focus on the negatives.

On sky sports news they announced wrongly that Preston had gone 3-2 up - Le Tiss was in the middle of a match report on Middlesborough vs West Ham and he got totally put off, looked gutted beyond belief and just gave up talking lol.... then they corrected the score..... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Same here, was gutted after a 2 goal come back Sky posted it as 3- 2 Preston with Mc Goldrick scoring, i though sh1t own goal - then Sky corrected it and i went mental - best saturday in along while!

Oh yeah Bungle, we are absolutely gonna walk this league now.......Jesus Christ! :rolleyes:

Great result but I wont get excited just yet, we've seen it all before.

Ignore him he only comes on to stalk Alpine Saint along with OBS

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC
Name added

Player ratings ( IMHO )

Kelvin 6, looked uncertain with their lump of a CF in his face and not really communicating with the centre backs when PNE scored, but did make a couple of crucial recovery saves in the second half

Cork 6, the whole defence were very rocky at times in the first half, but second half they gained in confidence and by the end were in control

Lancashire 6, marked down for the general indecision leading to their goals, again much better in the second half

Pearce 7, the best defender and scored a thumping goal

Skacel 5, very poor distribution particularly in the first half

Thomson 7, again a much better second half, and quite a threat when going forward

Spiderman 7, midfield looked solid and competitive, with good passing and distribution

Surman 7, brilliant goal - better celebration

Smith 5, anonymous

James 5, ditto

DMG 6, I know he scored and had a couple of good attacking runs late on, but he should be prosecuted under the Trades Descriptions Act if he claims to be our number one striker - he was clueless in the first half

subs...

BWP 7, still can't shoot but provided a lot of the drive that turned things around

Gobern 7, could have / should have scored, maybe needs a bit of composure but a real threat

Gillett 5, didn't have much to do, but didn't do it very well

Manager 7, showed some guts with the substitutions and obviously fired the players up after the break. If only we could start a game in the manner we finished this one.

MOM the fans - proud to have been a part of it, never gave up singing, never gave up hope. Absolutely brilliant.

A really superb result that each and every Saints Fan will applaud. Our bogey team, and we came back from 2-0 down. This is the stuff of Saints of old...

But just like the Arsenal final game at the Dell, I had a feeling it might happen after I saw Surman's equalliser flash up.

This could be a huge turning point in the club's fortunes. We have been looking more balanced over the last few games as the stubborn dogma has given way to common sense gradually, and just look what happens when the defence (signing Pearce) is finally given some attention !! He looks like a superb loan deal !

However, up and down the heirarchy, from chairmen down to lowliest junior on the verge of the first team, has to recognise that the work is only just beginning, and that there is an awful lot left to do. I would have them in doing light training tomorrow, not given a couple of days off as reward. They should be given no time to get cokky or complaicent.

However, Job Done lads, great result - let's build from it.

In the first half Jeff Stelling (who seems to have a soft spot for Saints) described us as "hapless Saints". And that hurt - so how sweet was it coming back from 0-2 down to win 3-2.

You're right, he always seems a bit gutted when we're losing and chuffed when we're winning.

Same with Swindon for some odd reason...

Big buddie of MLT and apart from Hartlepool his second team is Saints.

Purposely kept away from the TV and computer today,as I was dreading some bad news.Couldn't believe it when I saw the result on the tele,almost fell of my chair !!

Great result boys,and to come back from two nil down shows some guts and character. Now we need to build on this,and not slip back again in the next match.

Unreal.

Struggling to remember the last time Saints went 2 down to turn it round and get the 3 points.

Possibly Fulham at home when Beattie scored a hat-trick?

Should do wonders for the confidence and fingers crossed we can follow it up with another win against Bristol City.

Unreal.

Struggling to remember the last time Saints went 2 down to turn it round and get the 3 points.

Possibly Fulham at home when Beattie scored a hat-trick?

Should do wonders for the confidence and fingers crossed we can follow it up with another win against Bristol City.

I was thinking the same thing and then remembered our first home game of the 2004/5 season? against Blackburn,when we won 3-2.

A really superb result that each and every Saints Fan will applaud. Our bogey team, and we came back from 2-0 down. This is the stuff of Saints of old...

But just like the Arsenal final game at the Dell, I had a feeling it might happen after I saw Surman's equalliser flash up.

This could be a huge turning point in the club's fortunes. We have been looking more balanced over the last few games as the stubborn dogma has given way to common sense gradually, and just look what happens when the defence (signing Pearce) is finally given some attention !! He looks like a superb loan deal !

However, up and down the heirarchy, from chairmen down to lowliest junior on the verge of the first team, has to recognise that the work is only just beginning, and that there is an awful lot left to do. I would have them in doing light training tomorrow, not given a couple of days off as reward. They should be given no time to get cokky or complaicent.

A great post Alp and we can agree.

It is nights like this when we are more united is when being a saints fan is good.

Absolutely SPOT ON with this statement and I beleive most posters will agree.

Whatever the differences there may be between some, you know we all want the best for Saints and a few more wins will do all of us the power of good.

Good night Vienna.

I knew you and nickh were pals really.

Absolutely SPOT ON with this statement and I beleive most posters will agree.

Whatever the differences there may be between some, you know we all want the best for Saints and a few more wins will do all of us the power of good.

Good night Vienna.

I knew you and nickh were pals really.

Saints are always great in my mind OSM. I do hope you are ok after that freak storm, my rain dance worked.

Saints are always great in my mind OSM. I do hope you are ok after that freak storm, my rain dance worked.

A little bogged down with the floods and the hailstones but my belief in the Saints kept me going..As we say it can only get better...Hopefully the turning point and not another false dawn.. Gobern is another possible star..and hopefully Pearce is the answer at the back..All though I haven't agreed with most of the loans..we now have Spiderman and Pearce..Injuries clearing up and some of the players still due big performances..I would still like to see one more experienced player in the side..Maybe Jason when he is fit..

Must admit I am drained..After our first goal I think I kicked every ball.

Credit to JP for the subs..last resort or not he made them and hopefully all will have renewed confidence...

Keep up the good work nick and you Alps..

PS Get Goberns brother from Wolves... Forgot good old Corky...A star.

Edited by ottery st mary

You know this sort of thing does not happen to Saints, does it. I was moaning and groaning at half time, my daughter said don't worry Dad they will win 3-2........................i was bouncing off the walls when the 3rd went in, and to see the picture of all the players plus Kelvin celebrating, gives me belief that we may just survive.Well done fella's i hope this gives you confidence to move onto a different level.Special well done to Oscar Gobern(sp)...........this game's easy aint it.:smt041

Strange really - still can't work it out!

If we are such an attractive footballing side Mr Lowe, give somone else a chance to run the club and get as far out of Southampton FC as possible. Let the investment in no matter what it does for your stnding in the club. You are not Bill Shankley, or Arsen Wenger - not even a Harry Redknap or Glenn Hoddle. Just because you ahve overseen more Managers than any other Chairman it does not make you qualified to run a football club.

LOWE MUST GO!

You sad obsessed twonk. Concentrate on the game.

this is what its all about,bring it on...............i love the highs and the lows, this is what being a saints fan is all about.........anything else would be boring.

come on you saints,i dont give up and nor should you.

fvck all of those that were defeated before the season even started,fvck all the stay aways,fvck all the fighting and *****ing,fvck all the sh1t stirrers.

this is what its all about,bring it on...............i love the highs and the lows, this is what being a saints fan is all about.........anything else would be boring.

come on you saints,i dont give up and nor should you.

fvck all of those that were defeated before the season even started,fvck all the stay aways,fvck all the fighting and *****ing,fvck all the sh1t stirrers.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Player ratings which might be a bit blurred from alcohol.

Davis - 6 no chance with goals, looked solid.

James - 5 glad he went off half time.

Skacel - 6 solid

Pearce-8 looked good part from one dodgy pass back and great goal.

Lancashire- 7 much improved performance.

Cork - 7 much better at right back 2nd half

Surman -7 great equaliser

Thomson - 5 looked poor and gave ball away

Smith - 4 not good enough at this level

Morgan s - 6 like team played better 2nd half

McGoldrick - 7 poor at times but great winning goal

subs

BWP - 7 Looked a threat

Oscar - 7 first time i've seen him play. Looked very good.

Gillett -6 slotted in well and provided better possession than Thomson.

Fans - 10 not many of us but non stop singing and great support.

A little trip down memory lane :

Saints 4 v Fulham 2

A thoroughly impressive performance by Saints who gifted Fulham a two goal lead but still had the strength of character to get back on level terms by half time and to eventually run out comfortable winners. The strong wind meant it was never going to be an easy day to play good football but whereas Southampton were prepared to battle away, Fulham apparently were not.

Gordon Strachan made just one change from the team that had beaten Aston Villa on Monday night: Rory Delap who has not been on top form this season was replaced by Matt Oakley in the centre of midfield. Marian Pahars had served his one match suspension at Villa but now has picked up some sort of bug so Ormerod and Beattie continued up front. But the most amazing bit of team news was that Agustin Delgado was named as one of the substitutes !

Team: Niemi; Dodd, Lundekvam, M.Svensson, Bridge; Fernandes, Oakley, A.Svensson, Marsden; Ormerod, Beattie

Southampton started the better of the two sides with Wayne Bridge providing the first highlight after five minutes with a skilful turn and run into the Fulham box. Unfortunately he was stopped by a firm but fair challenge which left him with an injured leg. He was off the field for almost five minutes getting treatment, and was clearly in pain for the remainder of the match, but showed great guts by sticking it out to the end.

Then after 15 minutes Southampton shot themselves in the foot for the first time: Anders Svensson attempted one of his fancy pirouettes 30 yards from his own goal and only succeeded in losing possession to Lee Clark whose shot took a deflection off Michael Svensson leaving Niemi completely stranded. Things got worse ten minutes later as a terrible bit of defending saw the visitors double their lead: Finnan got to the byeline and hit in a low cross, Anders Svensson and Jason Dodd waited for each other to deal with the danger and Malbranque stepped in to shoot home from 12 yards.

Despite being two goals down Saints were still having most of the possession and within two minutes they pulled a goal back. Ormerod broke down the left and as he attempted to cut the ball back to the centre of the box Goma handled the ball. It was a clear penalty which Beattie smashed confidently into the top right corner of the goal. Clearly boosted by his second penalty in a week Beattie was busy putting himself about and should have equalised five minutes later when he had a free header six yards from goal, but this time the ball hit his shoulder and went out for a goal kick. However two minutes before the break he made amends: Fabrice Fernandes, who was having another great game, sent over a cross from the right and Beattie planted a firm header back past Van der Saar into the bottom right corner of the net. So 2 - 2 at half-time and there now looked like only one team who were going to go on and win the game.

Sure enough Saints had the lead early in the second half. Anders Svensson, who did not let his head drop despite being wholly to blame for Fulham's first goal and partly to blame for the second, won a free kick on the left. He took it himself and his cross found Beattie rising high to head into the bottom right corner to complete his hattrick. It was a great performance: the bad weather conditions meant that it was an afternoon tailor made for a good old fashioned English centre forward, and today Beattie delivered the goods.

By now Fulham were being comprehensively outplayed. Lundekvam was putting in his usual solid performance at the back, Fernandes and Anders Svensson were providing the flair in midfield, and Ormerod and Beattie were looking for more goals. The fourth came after 75 minutes when Fernandes fed the ball in to Marsden bursting through the centre. The ball broke away from Marsden but straight into the path of Ormerod who steered the ball past the Fulham keeper to seal a great fight back by Saints.

The last ten minutes saw Saints lose a little concentration and Fulham went close to scoring a third goal of their own. Marlet's shot missed the post by inches, Malbranque's overhead kick flashed narrowly wide, and Niemi was called upon to make one good save. But you always suspected that even if they had made it 4-3 they would never have made it 4-4. Finally there was even time for Delgado to make an appearance for ten minutes or so. He nearly scored as well, that really would have been the icing on the cake !

Man of the Match: James Beattie.

What a match. We should have been 4-0 down at half time. We looked fragile, no aggression at all, the occasional bit of pretty passing but nothing in the way of goal threat. I had visions of last year's 5-1 and was hoping for a bit more character from the team in the second half. Complete turnaround, although Preston were the author's of their own downfall. They clearly thought that they could hold these kids off at arm's length, but Pearce's goal changed everything. At 2-2 I could still see Preston nicking it as the defence was pretty shaky all afternoon, especially at set pieces, but credit to McGoldrick for a very cool finish. And, how much overtime did the ref play?

My MOTM: Pearce - at least he was trying to organise the defence, put in loads of tackles and took his goal coolly.

What did JP say to Skacel at half-time? In the first half he looked like a fat old pro going through the motions for his pay packet. 2nd half, teamed up with Gobern (what a great 2nd half), came forward more, was miles more creative and put in a huge effort.

Well wasn't expecting that! well done saints you've reinstalled some belief that we still have some fight left in us! on to a negative(sorry) is this just another false dawn? we need to build on this not follow it up with another crap performance

Strange really - still can't work it out!

1. We score from a corner!

2. We equalised

3. We didn't concede a late winner

4. DMG scored!

Still one swallow doesn't make a summer (or as my good lady says a blow job) but it could do wonders for the sides confidence.

Brizzol City next week at SMS on SKY...a bumper crowd of 15,000, but will they freeze again?

Well done lads - let the momentum continue well into next weekend.

Must have been Lowe's HT talk about not paying salaries next week, and letting a few more go that got them so up for the second half.

If we are such an attractive footballing side Mr Lowe, give somone else a chance to run the club and get as far out of Southampton FC as possible. Let the investment in no matter what it does for your stnding in the club. You are not Bill Shankley, or Arsen Wenger - not even a Harry Redknap or Glenn Hoddle. Just because you ahve overseen more Managers than any other Chairman it does not make you qualified to run a football club.

LOWE MUST GO!

Just to re-cap - well done the lads!

There are enough anti-Lowe threads already without you hijacking this one to post your rabid thoughts. Please stick to the topic.

I had to go up country today to a birthday party at Redditch and didn't have access to a radio and only just went on the site to find out what the score was. What a pleasant surprise and all the more sweet because we came back from two down to gain all three points. It's usually been us losing to a last minute goal and this is just the sort of result that the youngsters need as a great confidence boost. They were often used to coming from behind and winning in the academy league, but I don't know whether they had that confidence to turn things around in the Fizzy Pop, but this will have given them that belief.

I'm delighted that young Pearson also had a cracking game and looks a good prospect, also that Gobern did well.

Been a good day. Spent the afternoon freezing my ******** off watching my daughter win a 2 day event for the first time (On a 24 year old horse - that's old for a horse) and then came back to find Saints had turned the 2-0 deficit (which I knew about) at HT round and won 3 - 2. happy days.

Excellent post alps and my sentiments as well :shock:

Been a good day. Spent the afternoon freezing my ******** off watching my daughter win a 2 day event for the first time (On a 24 year old horse - that's old for a horse) and then came back to find Saints had turned the 2-0 deficit (which I knew about) at HT round and won 3 - 2. happy days.

Congrats to the whole family as I know that it takes a lot of support..Winning whether Saints or your daughter is a good habit..Mary King lives near us and see her around from time to time....Olympic star and all that...Once talked to a young lady who exercises some of her various horses and it was explained what the whole business entailed..She gave my daughter some equipment when she was riding but thankfully she now swims and supports Saints..therefore saving me a shed load....So keep up the good work.. A star of the future.

Lets hope the Saints keep winning.If necessary we might have to help you out later with some whip rounds as she moves up the ladder...no pun intended.