Preston 2-3 Saints - You've Gotta be Havin' a Laugh

Arizona

Wes we are talking Pearce...if he continues there must be some great names from Stuart Pearce.

Yes, sorry; 5 hours driving in total today and tired. Pearson must have been a freudian slip. This club tries to confuse us with spates of Davis' and Davies, Pearce's and Pearsons...;)

Ecstatic. I know that it only means 3 points in the end but the way we got them was incredible. Preston were given both their goals by our poor defending in the first half. Pearce played a blinder and looked like a good signing. Good result and I am raising my glass as I write. More of the second half please lads.

Reading are doing well and if they keep on winning perhaps we will be able to hang on to Pearce for a little while longer than January.

Warwick, If you want to police the forum, apply to be a moderator or Admin, otherwise just let people have their say, your like an old woman.

Windbag, this thread is about Preston v. Saints not a Lowe out thread, there are plenty of them for fans to point their frustrations at. I just wish they'd just stick to the topic. As for an old woman, pot, kettle black.

lol my surname is Pace but I doubt I would scare many teams unlesss I was on skates and shooting a puck.

Dont think it will work to well on grass though. ;)

By the way what a turn round there was me thinking Saints at Exeter, Torquay and Truro in the coming years and biff bang. Lets hope they can do Bristol and more of the same. I think we upped the Pace just for you second half to-day.

I was thinking the same thing and then remembered our first home game of the 2004/5 season? against Blackburn,when we won 3-2.

We were 1-0 up against Blackburn before going behind 2-1 then going on to win 3-2 with a last minute penalty that never was. Still we had to come from behind to win it just like today, only todays was a lot harder having to score three goals to win it.

A great day..my nippers team won 8-0, Saints win 3-2 ...Skates lose to a Heskey goal and have just been to see the latest Bond movie.

I can't listen to us on the radio so like a sad git watched the live video printer roll on Skysports and went mental at Surmans goal then even more at McGoldricks.

Well done JP you ****ed up the substitutions the other night but I hear you were spot on today - really pleased to hear Oscar played so well as Navyred and I have been praising him a bit this season. For those of you that havn't seen him I reckon he is a bit like Carlton Palmer but far more talented and far less ugly!!

By the way what a turn round there was me thinking Saints at Exeter, Torquay and Truro in the coming years and biff bang. Lets hope they can do Bristol and more of the same. I think we upped the Pace just for you second half to-day.

Previous weeks I have been thinking we would just about do enough to survive but by half time today I was sure if torquay get promoted in the next 2 seasons then we would be playing them. Back to thinking we will do enough now and with a bit of luck we may surprise a few people on the way. :D

Happy Days

After recent events total apathy set in, didn't go on line, didn't check the tv, went shopping with the wife and kids (damn plasma has blown). Heard on the radio we were 2 nil down - no surprise at all.

Ten o' clock tonite I check out the score for the first time and find I have missed a f*cking blinder. Just my luck - I don't know what happened in the game but I do know that to come back from 2 down away from home takes some boll*x Well done lads - I'll be back looking at the results next week and won't write you off quite so soon in future.

Chuffed to f*ckin' bits - yeaaahhhhhh....!!!!

Radio five Live gave the score as Preston 2-0 Saints at 4.45. I had missed the second half and only knew that that was the half time score. When they announced 90 seconds later that Mcgoldrick had scored and that the score was 2-3 I just assumed that they had made another one of their mistakes.... but wasn't sure whether it was 2-0 or 2-3 which was the mistake.

I had to wait until 5.03 and their classified results service before I could be certain of the final score.

Times report

If Southampton's team gets any younger they could be paid their bonuses in sweets, which might be no bad thing given the parlous state of the Saints’ finances.

With cash-flow problems forcing Dutch coach Jan Poortvliet to shed his senior professionals and rely almost entirely on youth, the average age of their outfield players, missing late injury absentee Jason Euell, was only fractionally over 20.

Yet with youth evidently comes no fear as Southampton staged a remarkable second-half fightback which brought them three goals, including a superb last-minute winner from top scorer David McGoldrick, and a first win in six games which might do more than just stop the rot at the bottom end of the table.

Poortvliet’s side, which started with five teenagers and tellingly introduced 17-year-old Oscar Gobern at half-time, not only climbed out of the relegation places but also suggested it may be ready to come of age, such was the spirit they showed in overcoming a two-goal deficit to join a fairly select band who leave Deepdale with any reward.

“When we were 2-0 down it looked bad,” Poortvliet admitted afterwards.

“I was a little bit angry at half-time because even though I didn’t think we were playing badly we didn’t have the determination and drive to win the game.

“But it’s a big compliment the way we came back. I was very proud of the boys. Sometimes you need a result like that to give you confidence.”

Preston had won five of their previous seven home games and at half-time were looking good for another thanks to two goals within six minutes from Billy Jones and Stephen Elliott.

Jones, having never previously scored for the club before netting in mid-week, fired home again from 20 yards and then bundled the ball into the path of Elliott to drive a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Barry Nicholson and Jon Parkin, whose goal drought since signing from Stoke in August has now extended to 12 games, then contrived to miss the chance of a third following a sublime pass from the impressive Ross Wallace early in the second half.

And Southampton, bravely refusing to accept their fate, needed no further invitation to launch a response inspired by Gobern, who would not have figured but for an illness to Jordan Robertson and Euell’s strained hamstring.

His calmness on the ball and willingness to run at the Preston defence had them back-tracking and after on-loan defender Alex Pearce had headed home an Andrew Surman corner on his debut, Gobern pounced on a Sean St Leger mistake to cross for Surman to nod in the leveller.

Goalkeeper Andy Lonergan then denied Bradley Wright-Phillips and Gobern but McGoldrick’s solo run and seventh goal of the season proved a worthy winner.

“We turned a victory into a defeat and in a totally unacceptable manner,” lamented Preston boss Alan Irvine.

As we left the ground, we were passed by a group of PNE fans complaining that "We've just lost to a bunch of bl00dy schoolkids". :p

Hee heh hee, giggle!

Just back from town. Had wine starter, went for gorgeous pizza, then chocolate at the special chocolate fair in the main square, then wine, then beer and home. Just reading all the comments in an appallingly good mood! Hands up who thought we'd get anything at 2-0 down? No? Me neither....

Just back from Preston & what a second half performance!!

If Alex Pearce keeps playing like that then we need to try and keep him - he organised the defence brilliantly & topped it off with the goal to start the fightback.

Big up to Oscar Gobbern who came on at half time, looked really good on his debut.

Been a long time since I enjoyed a Saints game that much!! :D

What is the point of the Prediction League on this forum?

Well done lads, I only worry that we are up for another of our regular stuffings on Sky next time up. Shame Bristol City lost at home today - they will be looking for a bounce back for sure and have the perfect opposition.

Lets hope I'm wrong.

Great result today though - really special. Lets hope it's a turning point. We'll see next Saturday, as will the rest of the country.

WOW, what a day, still on an outragoeus high and will be for days to come. What made it great for me was the celebrations for each goal. There was a nice area between the pitch and the stand behind the advertsing boards where I played a game of catch me if you can with the PNE stewards. For each goal I went hurtling down the track bouncing, jumping, fist pumping whilst trying to evade capture. I got the upeer hand in the most of the exchanges, but he was ready for me when I tried to hurdle the boards on to the pitch at the third goal, a well timed body blow did the trick and opted to cuddle him instead by way of recognition for his tackle. In fact, I was cuddling complete strangers at the end and even went to tell my friendly stewart that we have not had many happy times of late and thanks for the banter. He acknowledged that we deserved the victory and to be fair of all of their stewards reacted well. By the way Jack Cork was immense.

Last time I was at PNE we got humped 5-1 and my journey back to Scotland was miserable, what a difference today I could have run home. Happy Day!

Hee heh hee, giggle!

Just back from town. Had wine starter, went for gorgeous pizza, then chocolate at the special chocolate fair in the main square, then wine, then beer and home. Just reading all the comments in an appallingly good mood! Hands up who thought we'd get anything at 2-0 down? No? Me neither....

Jonny Boy did apparently. I feel a bit sorry for him knowing at half time that we would stage a remarkable and unlikely comeback because whilst the rest of us were ecstatic at the turn of events he already knew it was going to happen and so didnt get to feel the full joy of it.

Brilliant result after looking like a hiding in progress. The last minute Wigan winner was a sweet sweet bonus too.

Congratulations to those who went up there and never stopped singing in the second half. I honestly believe they made a difference - well done folks.

From The Observer:

"There was also a rousing Houdini act from Southampton, who fought back from 2-0 down at Preston to win 3-2. Eddie McGoldrick scored their late winner, with a great run through the Preston defence followed by a composed finish from just inside the penalty area."

That should shut up the moaners who say we don't have enough experienced players in the team. I thought Eddie retired from football in about 1998.

An excellent result , what ever was in that half time cup of tea I wouldn't mind some myself. Cant remember the last time I felt so pleased at the weekend with Saints , I am one of Jan s biggest critics but fair play to him this weekend ...lets all hope this can follow on now for the season...

I think this quote from The Times is telling (thanks Nick):

"With cash-flow problems forcing Dutch coach Jan Poortvliet to shed his senior professionals and rely almost entirely on youth, the average age of their outfield players, missing late injury absentee Jason Euell, was only fractionally over 20."

Firstly I think some people are being too hard on JP given the restrictions he has to work under. Contrary to some opinions on here he actually gives me the impression he knows what he is trying to achieve and how he wants to go about it. I'm much happier with him than with Burley.

Secondly, with a team as young as ours we CAN and I think will get better as they play together and get more experience, and even, given they are so young, gain full physical maturity! The only problem is a reliance on loanees which will be disruptive.

Anyway, dare I say it, a bit of progress from last year's 5-1 loss!

I think this quote from The Times is telling (thanks Nick):

"With cash-flow problems forcing Dutch coach Jan Poortvliet to shed his senior professionals and rely almost entirely on youth, the average age of their outfield players, missing late injury absentee Jason Euell, was only fractionally over 20."

Firstly I think some people are being too hard on JP given the restrictions he has to work under. Contrary to some opinions on here he actually gives me the impression he knows what he is trying to achieve and how he wants to go about it. I'm much happier with him than with Burley.

Secondly, with a team as young as ours we CAN and I think will get better as they play together and get more experience, and even, given they are so young, gain full physical maturity! The only problem is a reliance on loanees which will be disruptive.

Anyway, dare I say it, a bit of progress from last year's 5-1 loss!

Good post Sue - some very good points made. We will have to brace ourselves for the return of the whingers as soon as the next average / poor result comes in but this season was always going to be up and down and we have to hang on for the ride, enjoying these moments and trying to be understanding when we have setbacks - "the kids" will take time to gain experience and confidence but if they can get it right like yesterdays 2nd half a bit more often - wow, its good to be a Saints fan again!

It's one win - not an unbeaten run of 30-games.

Nothing changes - we need investment, we are cash strapped.

So let the investors in Mr Lowe and relinquish your hold over the club...if someone offers to prop up the club financially and wants changes too - go with it.

I have to smile...this forum (like The Echo forum) has a lot of teeenage cyber warriors who can't have anyone stating a different opinion to theirs. Forums are for debate, and in the europhoria of a win (yes just one win) many seem to have lost the plot.

Realistically we need to keep our eye on the ball (literally) - January will have been and gone before you know it...with such a young team we will probably not miss Lallana or Surman for a couple of weeks - they won't miss Saints.

So let the investors in Mr Lowe and relinquish your hold over the club...if someone offers to prop up the club financially and wants changes too - go with it.

I have to smile...this forum (like The Echo forum) has a lot of teeenage cyber warriors who can't have anyone stating a different opinion to theirs. Forums are for debate, and in the europhoria of a win (yes just one win) many seem to have lost the plot.

Realistically we need to keep our eye on the ball (literally) - January will have been and gone before you know it...with such a young team we will probably not miss Lallana or Surman for a couple of weeks - they won't miss Saints.

Which investors would that be?

Stop trying to put a negative spin on a good win. Ofcourse its not a 30-match unbeaten run, if you're expecting that you're not mentally sound. We were always going to be in a relegation scrap (or just above) this season so picking up 3 points in an away match is always good.

Edited by Saint Martini

Congratulations to those who went up there and never stopped singing in the second half. I honestly believe they made a difference - well done folks.

Great support from the fans and in particular the second half.

Now, if we can get the same level of singing at SMS on saturday against Bristol City....

I agree wholeheartedly.

Just after their second goal I thought "**** this" and volunteered to go get the beers in in preperation for the [gulp] second half. Virtually everyone seemed to have that "here we go again" look about them at half time, I was one of them.

Then came the reason why Saints fans are up there amongst the best. 2-0 down & we have a continuous OWTSGMI for a good length of time. The players seem more up for it & organised. GOAL! We went nuts. More & more singing. GOAL! We go absolutlely mental. The game draws on & we are all hoping we can cling on for a draw. They miss a sitter. Then DMG scores that goal! WE GO DELIRIOUS!!! The final whistle sees me hugging complete strangers. I've not celebrated a goal like our third as much since Adams at West Brom last season. Sheer shock!

6 of us went up to Blackpool for a weekender to coincide with the match & I've just got back to London. What a weekend we just had largely thanks to that result. The mood we were all in was second to none.

If any of the players are reading this, well done for responding to the vocal support and going for it, our sides of recent years would not have done that. Although I'm blaming the lot of you for my uber happy drunken over-exuberance resulting in me pulling a right ruff 'un in that dodgy bar late on!

Jonny Boy did apparently. I feel a bit sorry for him knowing at half time that we would stage a remarkable and unlikely comeback because whilst the rest of us were ecstatic at the turn of events he already knew it was going to happen and so didnt get to feel the full joy of it.

Brilliant result after looking like a hiding in progress. The last minute Wigan winner was a sweet sweet bonus too.

I never said, or implied, that.

I was as surprised and as happy as anyone to come back and win.

I just wasnt slitting my wrists at half time like others, eg ALWAYS SFC, cos I wasnt expecting anything.

Yours hopefully, JB

I agree wholeheartedly.

Just after their second goal I thought "**** this" and volunteered to go get the beers in in preperation for the [gulp] second half. Virtually everyone seemed to have that "here we go again" look about them at half time, I was one of them.

Then came the reason why Saints fans are up there amongst the best. 2-0 down & we have a continuous OWTSGMI for a good length of time. The players seem more up for it & organised. GOAL! We went nuts. More & more singing. GOAL! We go absolutlely mental. The game draws on & we are all hoping we can cling on for a draw. They miss a sitter. Then DMG scores that goal! WE GO DELIRIOUS!!! The final whistle sees me hugging complete strangers. I've not celebrated a goal like our third as much since Adams at West Brom last season. Sheer shock!

6 of us went up to Blackpool for a weekender to coincide with the match & I've just got back to London. What a weekend we just had largely thanks to that result. The mood we were all in was second to none.

If any of the players are reading this, well done for responding to the vocal support and going for it, our sides of recent years would not have done that. Although I'm blaming the lot of you for my uber happy drunken over-exuberance resulting in me pulling a right ruff 'un in that dodgy bar late on!

That's what Blaclpool's for Gudz :-)

Glad you all had a great time and even on radio Preston it was only Saints fans you could hear most of the seond half. That long OWTS at the start of the half somehow gave me hope that you lot up there still had hope and I'm sure it drove the players on to believe.

Magnificent effort by fans and players alike and drunken beggars can't be choosers pal!

Saints last minute winner from 2-0 down

Pompey lose in the last minute.

Life doesn't get much better.

Only sour point is that I missed out on the mentalness of a pitch invasion. Ah well, we can't have everything!

By the way, we will still get relegated, but for tonight, I am a happy man!

your a ****

Isn't that what a forum is about, different opinions which you may disagree with? One win yes but many can except that unlike you with your negative outlook about having lost the plot, at least your so called teenager cyber warriors are not interested in plots, just wins.

Like a lot of you one here, I was watching the live feed on Sky sports when they announced Preston had gone 3 v 2 up. I was to busy swearing and moaning about how we always concede late goals. It was a while before I found out we had won. Fantastic second half. My only worry is that we seem to have a habit of going 2 or 3 behind before we get our act together. Get that part right and Jan may be correct about us giving someone a good hiding.

Lets start with Bristol City.