Charlton take ex-Saint on trial

Bailey

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_4462559,00.html

Not sure he's what they need right now but all the best to him anyway!

Whilst I was never a fan of Powell's during his time here, I'm surprised he hasn't already found another club.

That's because he was sh1te when not injured (43 games in three seasons was testament to that) and show's how desperate Charlton are.

Of all the players I've seen in a Saints shirt, he was the least tallented, and I saw Davenport and Bernard against Villa.

Ridiculous injury record aside, he is slow, can't head, can't pass and his possitioning is terrible.

Anyone who went to Hull last year will have seen him at his very worst. The surprise wasn't that it took 5 months to find a club, more that it wasn't a League 2 club he ended up at.

I remember when we played Barnsley away last season and drew 2-2 - Powell went to volley it clear and made a complete hash of it, slipping over and allowing the ball to roll out wide to Jamal Campbell Ryce who t watted it into the net.

This summed up Powell. Always a liability when attempting to clear.

Also you could see he was never confident with his own ability in clearing as there were occasions when he tried chesting the ball clear when the ball was about an inch off the ground... WTF.

Charlton are very welcome to him :lol:

The most unbelievable thing about Powell was that we renewed his contract after two years when he'd played about 15 games. I guess he was cheap

I fear you are tragically far from the truth. Powell was, I believe, offered an extension to his existing 2 year deal whilst recovering from the injury he recieved a couple of months after joining us. IIRC, the recovery took about a year, during which time Claus also got injured on the opening day of the playoff season. This left us with a lack of quality and cover at the back for several months. I am not sure if Powell was offered the extension before or after either of them had recovered, or if indeed, Burley had seen Powell play at all.

This is slightly beside the point. Powell was offered a new deal during the playoff season at some point when we were still under the illusion of being loaded. Powell had joined from Palace (fresh from a season in the Prem) and was unlikely to be earning peanuts. I'm also pretty certain he wouldn't have take a pay cut to join us.

He's awful - Charlton are really in the crap to take him on trial. Hope they sign him though because our lads should be scoring goals against them if Pardew is daft enough to play him. Davenport and Bernard were still worse though IMO. How do some players get a contract?

I just want to point out that I christened him `Made of Glass' on here and I can I add that he is worst footballer (and I mean that in the sense of ability with a ball) I have ever seen in a Saints shirt.

He did have a couple, and I mean two, decent games when he was here, and he does get stuck in which can work against certain oponents, but Burleys decision to entend his contract was one of the worst decisions I have ever witnessed in football.I feel very sorry for Charlton if they have stopped this low.

For the record Powell is slow, extremely injury prone, slow, terrible with or without the ball, alwasy injured, slow, offers poor positional play, spends most of the game on his arse and th erest of the time on the pysio table, can't pass, can't control, and offers little to a game other than some terrible tackles from behind and a few headers won. Did I say that he was slow, because what I should have said was that he is very slow when both covering the ground and when seeing the game. Thank god our money ran out as it meant we could lose this lump and replace him with...oh, Wotton.

Edited by Chez

Of all the players I've seen in a Saints shirt, he was the least tallented, and I saw Davenport and Bernard against Villa.

Ridiculous injury record aside, he is slow, can't head, can't pass and his possitioning is terrible.

Anyone who went to Hull last year will have seen him at his very worst. The surprise wasn't that it took 5 months to find a club, more that it wasn't a League 2 club he ended up at.

:)

Apart from that he was fecking brilliant !

I just want to point out that I christened him `Made of Glass' on here and I can I add that he is worst footballer (and I mean that in the sense of ability with a ball) I have ever seen in a Saints shirt.

He did have a couple, and I mean two, decent games when he was here, and he does get stuck in which can work against certain oponents, but Burleys decision to entend his contract was one of the worst decisions I have ever witnessed in football.I feel very sorry for Charlton if they have stopped this low.

For the record Powell is slow, extremely injury prone, slow, terrible with or without the ball, alwasy injured, slow, offers poor positional play, spends most of the game on his arse and th erest of the time on the pysio table, can't pass, can't control, and offers little to a game other than some terrible tackles from behind and a few headers won. Did I say that he was slow, because what I should have said was that he is very slow when both covering the ground and when seeing the game. Thank god our money ran out as it meant we could lose this lump and replace him with...oh, Wotton.

I knew there was something else we agreed on Chez! :D

Mind you, this thread seems to have generated universal agreement between all souls who post on SWF. Perhaps it shoul be moved to golden posts. Feel sorry for any Charlton fans reading this and can't find one single possitive about Darren Powell.

Amen to that! How was such a big man so easily knocked off the ball and regularly injured I do not know.

• 2 weeks later...

:D

Looks like we're slowly getting our revenge against Derby. First the Pride Park game, now this.

That article describes him as "an imposing figure" who "likes to head and kick the ball clear"... see it's not just our OS that can publish complete bulls**t.

Looks like we're slowly getting our revenge against Derby. First the Pride Park game, now this.

That article describes him as "an imposing figure" who "likes to head and kick the ball clear"... see it's not just our OS that can publish complete bulls**t.

Whoever wrote that at Derby has to be a Press Officer who knows nowt about football. Powell is a heap of steaming turd, someone said above that he's good at breaking arms and cheekbones, the only breakages he caused playing for us were his own. Burley should be shot for giving him a year extension.

If Powell plays when Derby come to SMS, even with the remainder of kids that we haven't sold off I'd still fancy getting a result. I used to rate Paul Jewell at Wigan but he's signed some real tat for Derby - Savage and Robert on big wages, Powell and a whole host of other garbage.

Kick the Ball clear? Powell's feet are like 50p pieces. Don't even get me started on his heading ability, Aeroflot are better in the air than Powell.

he really is a poor player. L2 level. Good news that a CCC club want him!

anyway, on the least talented thing, Sergei Gotsmanov was quite awful. Remember him looking like a complete donkey against Rochdale at the Dell. How did he ever get thet goal for Russia at wembley?

Missed Reading game as already had weekend planned in East Anglia, went to Portman Road with an Ipswich fan. Powell was utter ****e, 2nd goal absolute joke as was Ipswich first goal. Derby were so poor, Ipswich Ok and well organised also dont believe been to a Champioship match ever which was so quiet, loadest shout from me hearing the Saints result!!