A View From Coventry

Moff

Well, I was pleased Cov went down a couple of years before us because I thought we might beat their 30 year unbroken top flight record (outside of the other 4). It didn't happen, but Cov and Soton are very similar cities (tho never been to Cov - don't need to, I know what **** loads of bombs and neo-classical redevelopment means), so I am happy to wish them the best - but I REALLY WANT THEM TO BE BEATEN AT THIS MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice post Moff - I have a colleague who is a STH at the Ricoh and has been for many years - he is gutted at what is happening to the club. He works in a an office of 4, 1 of whom is a Saints fan - so the banter is going to be flying about for a while.

Always thought Cov were a real decent club - tried to do things the right way and play the right way as well, great run in the top flight as well. Really sorry to see you struggling now, but as other here have said lots of good clubs have been there, ourselves, Leed, both Sheffield clubs - not so very long ago - the now great Manchester City were there. So all is not lost - you will come back stronger from this.

As others have said, no matter what the score tomorrow, we wish you all the best for the future.

To Moff and all the other Coventry fans. I can only really echo what other Saints have said:- lot of affinity with Coventry,similar clubs, our great escape from SISU etc.

Sincerly wish you all the best for next season, it hurts now but enjoy L1 and come back stronger. Look forward to playing you in the Prem in the not to distant future!!!

the Saints Coventry love-in develops....

A lovely post on the Sky Blues Forum... (from the OP)

-----------

I am not ashamed to admit, I would be pleased for them tomorrow to beat us and go up, as it would offer some hope that teams who have been to the wall can rise again and succeed.

I wish them every success,

After posting on one of their forums about our woes, and tomorrows game, I can honestly say that they are the most respectfull, friendly, intelligent bunch and the best posters I have ever come accross on a rival fans forum.

Just my opinion of course, but of all the clubs I watched our team play into my now 41st year, I feel more of an affinity to them in terms of team, history, fans etc than many others.

----------

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/thread...history./page2

Ooh, I'm all welling up and I'm getting quite moist.

Good luck to them (after tomorrow), proper club, proper supporters, not many of 'em left these days.

I glad we went into L1. I think we are so much stronger for it.

You are right. With no chance of going back to the PL, we had something to play for against teams more equal to how we were at the time. It did actually make all the down time a lot more fun (I'm assuming we get promoted again)

Just had a worrying thought. For WHam it's promotion or bust this year. They've already given Cheats FC enough money to continue to the end of the season (thereby not losing the 6 points they got against them). So I wouldn't be surprised if they've offered Coventry a huge bonus (in the millions) for getting the positive result against us tomorrow that helps them (WHam) leapfrog us.

Dodgy but legal, and probably wouldn't work, but certainly this Coventry-Saints love-in could turn nasty by 2:30 tomorrow. :scared:

Just had a worrying thought. For WHam it's promotion or bust this year. They've already given Cheats FC enough money to continue to the end of the season (thereby not losing the 6 points they got against them). So I wouldn't be surprised if they've offered Coventry a huge bonus (in the millions) for getting the positive result against us tomorrow that helps them (WHam) leapfrog us.

Dodgy but legal, and probably wouldn't work, but certainly this Coventry-Saints love-in could turn nasty by 2:30 tomorrow. :scared:

It's illegal and is known as football corruption and taking the game into disrepute. If that happened and the authorities found out, I'd expect WHU's result to be made null and void (I.e a 3-0 reverse for Hull) and Coventry's result made null and void (3-0 to us). Probably including some hefty fines and maybe even additional points deductions.

It's ludicrous to think that's even legal.

Having worked in Cov I know many Cov fans. They are all proper football fans and don't deserve the **** they are going through at the moment. Tomorrow apart (obviously) I really hope they come back up very quickly.

A very good mate of mine (long distance lorry driver) is a massive Coventry City fan - born & bred. He's been following them for 40-odd years too.

We've had lots in common over the years - our ups & downs with our respective clubs - and I've always likened Saints & Coventry as clubs 'seperated at birth'!

I'm actually gutted for him. Not just because of their relegation - but because their financial position looks very bleak indeed for the future.

Best of luck Moff to your beloved Sky Blues - selfishly after tomorrow of course ;-)

Like others on here ; I really hope you find a wealthy backer to take you back up the leagues sooner rather than later. Had some good times

with my mate at Coventry away days over the years. Never had a problem in the 6 or 7 times up there. Lovely people. Great fans.

Don't leave it too long Moff until we see Coventry City FC on our fixture list again will you! All the best mate. Thanks for dropping by.

I think tomorrow you would prefer the 8-2 drubbing you gave out to us only a couple of years after the amazing 5-5 draw!

By the way Moff the "who the f*ck is laughing now" song (to the Amarillo tune) is not aimed as you guys, but at P*mpey. As you will get from his thread, there is a lot of empathy here for Coventry. Hope you survive the SISU thing, and I'm sure you will be back up again, stronger, soon.

Edited by SW11_Saint

It's illegal and is known as football corruption and taking the game into disrepute. If that happened and the authorities found out, I'd expect WHU's result to be made null and void (I.e a 3-0 reverse for Hull) and Coventry's result made null and void (3-0 to us). Probably including some hefty fines and maybe even additional points deductions.

It's ludicrous to think that's even legal.

Which law states it's illegal to offer a bonus for winning? Throwing a game, yes, but winning?

Congratulations to you Saints, a well deserved promotion and I wish you all the best for next season.

I knew we would capitulate today...we were just the right team to play for your much needed last day win.

I would love to say we may join you in a couple of years, but the way its going it may be about 50!

Once again congratulations, I am sure you will more than hold your own next season and will enjoy a long Premier League stay, and thank you for being some of the friendliest, most respectfull opposing team fans I have ever come accross.

Congratulations to you Saints, a well deserved promotion and I wish you all the best for next season.

I knew we would capitulate today...we were just the right team to play for your much needed last day win.

I would love to say we may join you in a couple of years, but the way its going it may be about 50!

Once again congratulations, I am sure you will more than hold your own next season and will enjoy a long Premier League stay, and thank you for being some of the friendliest, most respectfull opposing team fans I have ever come accross.

Good luck for next season. Hoping you get SISU out sooner rather than later

Thanks mate !

I don't think you capitulated at all - You gave it a bloody good shot and made us work hard especially in the first half. Baker and Hussey really played well, and some of your young lads have good potential.. I hope they stay and develop with you. With some of them in your club there is reason for optimism.

I really wish Coventry well and please drop by when you can i let us know how you are getting on.

Cheers

Moff, you certainly didn't capitulate, you've got some really talented youngsters in that squad which I hope you manage to keep hold of. Always had a soft spot for Cov (having been to Uni there) so really hope you manage to survive SISU.

L1 is hard, but an enjoyable league to be in but really hope you fight your way out soon.

Your fans were a credit to your club today, thanks for joining in the party. Great to hear you singing loud and proud at the end. Good luck in L1, its actually a fun division. Have a go at the JPT, you should be good enough to win it. Oh and take 6 points off Pompey if they still exist

thought cov gave it a go,certainly didnt capitulate.good luck next season,league 1 isnt so bad,just try and get out as soon as.some great away days,true fans,none of your sky viewing plastics and a fair bit cheaper.hope you are rid of sisu soon,thank god we didnt get them,thought baker was good,hopefuly youll keep hold of him.good luck next season

Just to let you know I am not alone amongst my fellow Coventry fans, at the congratulations we offer you, and good luck we wish you for next year, here is a copy of a post from a fellow poster on the SkyBlues forum I go on,

I've met loads of Saints fans while I've been down here and every one of them a real fan and supporter of both their club and the game itself. I feel closer to Southampton FC more than any other club now (obviously after CCFC!), as I have the utmost respect for true fans of the game...... Cov and Southampton will forever be a lot closer as clubs and supporters, even though, for now, we are two leagues apart. Congrats on their promotion.

Youre fans were a credit to your club today and you have got a huge amount of admiration from us Sky Blues.

I also thank the Saints fans who have been on our forum to wish us luck down in league one, and for those that complemented our support today.

Just to let you know I am not alone amongst my fellow Coventry fans, at the congratulations we offer you, and good luck we wish you for next year, here is a copy of a post from a fellow poster on the SkyBlues forum I go on,

I've met loads of Saints fans while I've been down here and every one of them a real fan and supporter of both their club and the game itself. I feel closer to Southampton FC more than any other club now (obviously after CCFC!), as I have the utmost respect for true fans of the game...... Cov and Southampton will forever be a lot closer as clubs and supporters, even though, for now, we are two leagues apart. Congrats on their promotion.

Youre fans were a credit to your club today and you have got a huge amount of admiration from us Sky Blues.

I also thank the Saints fans who have been on our forum to wish us luck down in league one, and for those that complemented our support today.

I know it is hard to believe but one day you will get rid of SISU. We finally got rid of Lowe. When they go things will look better.

Respect the league you are in. Enjoy it. You are there now because you haven't performed, Acknowledge that fact,move on anfd you will enjoy League 1. Enjoy the JPT. You wiill be back and I will welcone you.

Good luck.

Coventry fans were a credit to their club today.

This.

In great voice for the whole game and not a bad turnout considering the distance to travel, the fact they were already relegated and the early start to get to SMS from Cov for 12.30! Met a few Cov fans outside Yates in town and wished them luck and well done on supporting their team.

This.

In great voice for the whole game and not a bad turnout considering the distance to travel, the fact they were already relegated and the early start to get to SMS from Cov for 12.30! Met a few Cov fans outside Yates in town and wished them luck and well done on supporting their team.

Any chance you could be a touch more patronising?