Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Not really, if we are trying to sign Dann, it means the club are very desperate to just bring in anyone who has played in a back four in recent years.

Not really, if the rumours are to be believed we have been interested for some time. Whether you or I believe he's the right man for the job is neither here nor there.

Not really, if the rumours are to be believed we have been interested for some time. Whether you or I believe he's the right man for the job is neither here nor there.

I know that, but (a) going back to Dann and (b) signing Dann smacks of desperation as he couldn't have been our first choice CB. If he is, and I have made this point before, then our scouting network (which doesn't look like they have done much this Summer) needs an overhaul.

I know that, but (a) going back to Dann and (b) signing Dann smacks of desperation as he couldn't have been our first choice CB. If he is, and I have made this point before, then our scouting network (which doesn't look like they have done much this Summer) needs an overhaul.

That's all just pure conjecture, not to mention a rather simplistic view of what could be going on with this possible transfer.

That's all just pure conjecture, not to mention a rather simplistic view of what could be going on with this possible transfer.

No need to let sensible, rational thoughts get in the way of a bangwagon. DPS decided about 3 weeks ago that our transfer dealings were lazy and ill thought out - and since then has let eeveryone know. Many times.

All of this is conjecture though.

My opinion is if Dann is the best that we can do at CB after knowing that we were promoted from the end of April, then there has been a failure somewhere along the line. Where is what I want to know, and where the uncertainty or conjecture is coming from.

No need to let sensible, rational thoughts get in the way of a bangwagon. DPS decided about 3 weeks ago that our transfer dealings were lazy and ill thought out - and since then has let eeveryone know. Many times.

I agree, I have. However, my point is being proven more and more on a day to day basis.

Something has gone wrong somewhere, as even Adkins said he'd have 2 CB's in by City. Where do you believe this failure has been?

We must have had some CB targets way back. We're willing to spend big, for the right player, that's pretty clear. So, why haven't we got one yet?

Either our 1st choice target's club wants more than we're prepared to pay, or the player is demanding higher wages than we're prepared to pay, or he wants a move to a bigger club. So, we move on to the next target, and so on. A contingency plan would have been in place. However, I'm sure we put a lot of background work in to the personality of the player etc. Do we do this right down the list? I mean, how sure are we that CB #9 is the right man for us?

I'm not getting frantic, but I have to say I don't really understand why we haven't signed at least one CB yet. I expect 2 before the window shuts.

Oh, and much as I love Kelvin for his loyalty and performances over the last few seasons, I'm starting to think that we should've just paid out and got Butland in as first choice.

Edited by Webby

If you can get an 8/10 player on the last day of the window or a 6/10 in June, what would you go for?

Ultimately, having two extra players will make no difference vs City.

Wigan - yes but again if we have to wait til end of the window thats ok as long as what we get is good enough - thats the key.

If you can get an 8/10 player on the last day of the window or a 6/10 in June, what would you go for?

Wigan - yes but again if we have to wait til end of the window thats ok as long as what we get is good enough - thats the key.

Agreed. As long as all the 8/10 players aren't gone by then.

They tend not to be because they are harder to prise away from their clubs and have more options so it's in their interest to wait and see what develops.

Nearly all the players we have been linked with have not yet moved anywhere.

You go for the 6/10 as the extra 3 weeks or so of training with the squad will turn it into an 8/10. Our football management experts keep telling us this.

They tend not to be because they are harder to prise away from their clubs and have more options so it's in their interest to wait and see what develops.

Nearly all the players we have been linked with have not yet moved anywhere.

If that's the case, then I would hope that we've got a couple lined up ready to sign on the day. Risky though.

All of this is conjecture though.

My opinion is if Dann is the best that we can do at CB after knowing that we were promoted from the end of April, then there has been a failure somewhere along the line. Where is what I want to know, and where the uncertainty or conjecture is coming from.

The difference is that you are using your belief that things should have been sorted earlier and that Dann is not your cup of tea, to infer that there is a malaise within the club or that someone is doing their job incorrectly. Those of us of a more reasonable disposition are speculating that there may be more to it than that. I know what is the more likely scenario.

Being negative just because you're not getting the signings you want when you want them is just childish. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of Dann being our back four's saviour but I don't put that down to the people working on it being idiots. Everyone has an opinion, I dare say our scouts have watched him a damn sight more than either you or I.

You're welcome to your own opinion of course, it's just I like mine to be a bit more considered and less reactionary.

The difference is that you are using your belief that things should have been sorted earlier and that Dann is not your cup of tea, to infer that there is a malaise within the club or that someone is doing their job incorrectly. Those of us of a more reasonable disposition are speculating that there may be more to it than that. I know what is the more likely scenario.

Being negative just because you're not getting the signings you want when you want them is just childish. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of Dann being our back four's saviour but I don't put that down to the people working on it being idiots. Everyone has an opinion, I dare say our scouts have watched him a damn sight more than either you or I.

You're welcome to your own opinion of course, it's just I like mine to be a bit more considered and less reactionary.

Im am not so keen on Dann either, but the guy was linked heavily with Liverpool and Arsenal last summer and was deemed a 6m player so is no mug and still young enough to improve.

Also, the price will be higher as thats when the teams will be most desperate. Then theres the big chance of panic signings if youre 1st choice targets go elsewhere.

Thats the only explanation for the likes of QPR signing Barton, SWP, Bothroyd and Puncheon and something that relegated us.

If you look at the first 6 in the fixture list, any new signings now aren't gonna make much of a difference to what we would have predicted 6 weeks ago. I just want things done right - bring in real quality, but don't break the bank... And that just takes time

Chin up folks..!

Fat Sam was on TalkDrivel this morning and said they had FAILED with 95% of their targets this window.

http://inagist.com/all/235389254799343617/?utm_source=inagist&utm_medium=rss

Spoke to Big Sam about transfer targets and he admitted West Ham had failed with 95% of their targets and he is trying to get 2 or 3 more in

It was rumoured they were interested in Jay R and Nathaniel C, but that is alot of players to miss out on. It just shows that alot of Clubs are chasing a few players.

Yes, but by the sound of things (and if we sign Dann) it's going to be:

If you can get an 4/10 player on the last day of the window or a 4/10 in June, what would you go for? I'd go for June myself, as he needs all the help he can get.

No I'm not. Adkins said we'd have 1 or 2 in by Man City. There isn't. That shows me there is an issue at the club.

Im am not so keen on Dann either, but the guy was linked heavily with Liverpool and Arsenal last summer and was deemed a 6m player so is no mug and still young enough to improve.

As was Roger Johnson. And look where they both ended up, Blackburn and Wolves. Not even a mid table side. That says to me that they may have been scouted by the bigger clubs, but their scouts saw that they were not very good. Which they then proved at Wolves and Blackburn respectively.

Yes, but by the sound of things (and if we sign Dann) it's going to be:

If you can get an 4/10 player on the last day of the window or a 4/10 in June, what would you go for? I'd go for June myself, as he needs all the help he can get.

What I want to know is how come you're so sure that you are better qualified than our scouts and our very successful manager to judge the ability and potential of a target and how he might fit into our squad, both in terms of personality and our system(s) of play?

Adkins said we'd have 1 or 2 in by Man City. There isn't. That shows me there is an issue at the club.

When did he say that? Can you provide a link to this please?

Pretty sure he said it after the wolves game.

It was in a Saints Player interview was it not? I can't get on them at work myself.

Andy Crosby (and not Nigel Adkins) was interviewed after the Wolves game and he made no mention of "we'd have 1 or 2 in by Man City".

Your point isn't being proven at all. It's conjecture, you can't see how things develop and work backwards to say you were right. If it doesn't hold up at the time you make the point, the outcome is irrelevant. You've consistently said something has gone wrong, Dann shows that etc., and it's based on nothing. No real information. Fact is, we haven't signed CBs yet even though we know we're trying to. That happens to every club every season, things get delayed, targets change, time edges towards the window. Why you think in the case of SFC this consititues failure is bizarre. I'm sure most clubs fail to get their no.1 target for a position and have several. Wouldn't be surprised if Dann is 1st choice, 5th choice or whatever. It's about getting people who fit in, not rushing things and taking a lesser option to appease impatient forum fans.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then.

What I want to know is how come you're so sure that you are better qualified than our scouts and our very successful manager to judge the ability and potential of a target and how he might fit into our squad, both in terms of personality and our system(s) of play?

To be fair, I don't, which is why I don't think it's actually down to the scouting. I think there is a massive issue somewhere in the club, I'm not sure what, but it is preventing us signing our targets.

Wasn't Crosby, defo Adkins. Just can't remember exactly where/when he said it.

He has said they want players in before the transfer window closes, but at no point has he made a public statement saying they will definitely have one or two in before the Man City game. I think you may be confusing the two.

He has said they want players in before the transfer window closes, but at no point has he made a public statement saying they will definitely have one or two in before the Man City game. I think you may be confusing the two.

It was my belief that had been said.

Either way, even if not, there is no way that Adkins would have wanted to leave it this late. If he did, that is very, very risky.

To be fair, I don't, which is why I don't think it's actually down to the scouting. I think there is a massive issue somewhere in the club, I'm not sure what, but it is preventing us signing our targets.

On that reasoning, plenty of prem clubs also have 'massive issues'

Pretty sure he said he's looking to have 1 or 2 in by man city and a few more between tehn and the end of the season. Think it was just before we signed Clyne.

If he said it "before we signed Clyne", then it has happened. Between that point and the Man City game we signed Clyne and Gazzaniga. Two players.

No I'm not. Adkins said we'd have 1 or 2 in by Man City. There isn't. That shows me there is an issue at the club.

No that just shows we've been unsuccessful in our bids or negotiations are ongoing. There are a lot more people involved in transfer negotiations than just Saints FC employees.

Edited by mulletsaint

I think you've nearly got 'em here MLG! You can see how they're getting a bit shifty and moving from "he definitely said dat" to "it's my belief he said something like dat or something"

This is good work! Just keep on at them a bit more, no letting them off the hook now, keep on at them till they get angry and start fighting back! You're nearly there!

Most teams have strengthened sensibly and well, especially those around us.

We've signed four players (three of which will be regular starters), plus Tadanari Lee will feel like a new signing given his lack of matches last season due to injury. Plus Adkins has said they intend to bring in more players before the close of the window. Stop panicking and relax. Good things come to those who wait...