Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

My real worry is having a rubbish start to the season that could prove costly come the end of the season. Even getting a CB in now will harm our early season chances as he settles in and gets an understanding with the players around him.

We could've signed Buttner, 2 CB's, a quality keeper and an amazing right winger this summer and we'd still struggle to get more than 3 points from our first 4 games. It's who we sign before the deadline and how they gel that will shape our season. I'm pleased our run in is a darn sight easier than our beginning, we always seem to start a season badly/slowly and that would have been the case had we 4 easier games in the first four. We need the winnable games when we're on a run of form, it's our fellow relegation candidates that we need to be beating, not the big boys. (though that would be nice!)

Hope the players dont have the same defeatist attitude as some on here! The 1st 4 games are all winnable!

Dellsize mentality haunts so many on here!

Coincidence that the same people saying we will lose the 1st 4 are also the biggest Guly fans?

Naturally they should go into every game thinking they can win it, cupsets happen, so can leagupsets. (A new word, it won't catch on.) We're just being more realistic as fans, especially ones that support a team that has had so many ups and downs as we've had in the past. Guly's inconsistant. :-D

Naturally they should go into every game thinking they can win it, cupsets happen, so can leagupsets. (A new word, it won't catch on.) We're just being more realistic as fans, especially ones that support a team that has had so many ups and downs as we've had in the past. Guly's inconsistant. :-D

We have been very consistant for 2+ years now!

We could've signed Buttner, 2 CB's, a quality keeper and an amazing right winger this summer and we'd still struggle to get more than 3 points from our first 4 games. It's who we sign before the deadline and how they gel that will shape our season. I'm pleased our run in is a darn sight easier than our beginning, we always seem to start a season badly/slowly and that would have been the case had we 4 easier games in the first four. We need the winnable games when we're on a run of form, it's our fellow relegation candidates that we need to be beating, not the big boys. (though that would be nice!)

I'd rather give ourselves the best chance possible to nick a surprise result and also minimise our chances of getting hammered for the sake of morale. Want I don't want us to do is say "we will lose" to every big team and throw in the towel before we have played. That has never been the saints way.

Exactly SNSUN, we need to make the right choices, not rush.

Not rush no but we could easily have got at least one CB in by now to give us the best chance possible for the sart of the season. It isn't much to ask and clearly Adkins is disappointed that we haven't got someone earlier, probably for this exact reason.

Not rush no but we could easily have got at least one CB in by now to give us the best chance possible for the sart of the season. It isn't much to ask and clearly Adkins is disappointed that we haven't got someone earlier, probably for this exact reason.

Yes we could have easily got A CB in by now but is it so easy to get THE CB that you actually want?

This. Signed him for Saints, he did alright for me. His mate Eric Torres at the same club is better though.

It won't happen anyway. Who are the guys quoted from twitter?

He was playing up a year when 14, he was Messi(esque). I remember him scoring a peach of a brace against Watford at the tournament.

I'd rather give ourselves the best chance possible to nick a surprise result and also minimise our chances of getting hammered for the sake of morale. Want I don't want us to do is say "we will lose" to every big team and throw in the towel before we have played. That has never been the saints way.

I think we can nick a result with the team we have. We've got quality in the team, and in spite of us bemoaning our lack of bringing in a CB, Jos and Jose are far from the worst CB's in the world. My view is we have 17 days to bring in recruits, not 4, so there's no immediate need to panic. (An injury to Jos or Jose against City and I will of course change my mind!)

I think we can nick a result with the team we have. We've got quality in the team, and in spite of us bemoaning our lack of bringing in a CB, Jos and Jose are far from the worst CB's in the world. My view is we have 17 days to bring in recruits, not 4, so there's no immediate need to panic. (An injury to Jos or Jose against City and I will of course change my mind!)

I said the best chance possible. IMO the best chance possible is not going into the season with 2 usable CBs with question marks over both about their Premiership quality.

we did not start last season to badly

Historically, plenty of clubs have signed a player in a position they are in desperate need of earlier in the window than we now will. Often that has been successful.

I know that. What if the club want someone who's club say they want to get their business done first before selling? Do we wait or do we just sign anyone just to give them an extra couple of weeks?

I know that. What if the club want someone who's club say they want to get their business done first before selling? Do we wait or do we just sign anyone just to give them an extra couple of weeks?
No we don't sign anyone but we are supposedly looking for two CBs (going by Seaborne going out on loan here.) If we are really holding out till the last minute for two CBs then I would question our transfer strategy if we did not have at least one other signing that was able to be signed sooner so that it is less detrimental to our early season chances.

It's a shame we haven't got anyone in sooner as the benefits are obvious but not everyone manages it. We're one of many still actively pursuing transfers. Last minute will be the last minute of deadline day and as long as the squad looks more competitive than it does now, I'll be happy.

It's a shame we haven't got anyone in sooner as the benefits are obvious but not everyone manages it.I realise that. What I'm saying is that we should have got a CB in before now. It was blindingly obvious that we needed a couple in before the end of last season. We could and should have managed to get a CB in by now IMO.We're one of many still actively pursuing transfers. Last minute will be the last minute of deadline day and as long as the squad looks more competitive than it does now, I'll be happy.
I will be happy if/when we get transfers in before the deadline but I will be disappointed if we lose heavily or for example fail to beat Wigan when I feel we could have done more in terms of bringing in players earlier and thus being more prepared for the start of the season. We should have got a CB in IMO and not doing so before now could well cost us. What if we don't get someone in before Sunday? What if Fonte or Jos get injured five minutes into the game?

I will be happy if/when we get transfers in before the deadline but I will be disappointed if we lose heavily or for example fail to beat Wigan when I feel we could have done more in terms of bringing in players earlier and thus being more prepared for the start of the season. We should have got a CB in IMO and not doing so before now could well cost us. What if we don't get someone in before Sunday? What if Fonte or Jos get injured five minutes into the game?

You've taken my quote and made it look all weird!

We'll likely to lose the city, Utd and arsenal games regardless and a loss to Wigan wouldn't be the end of our season. We should be looking to get 3 points against them and I think we will anyway.

I'll judge the window come the end of the deadline day and if we are as we are now, we'd be in trouble. Just can't see that being the case and I'm sure we're in for a couple of surprises.

Don't expect us to make any signings until at least after the City game nowHave a feeling we won't sign anymore this window though....
That's ridiculous. There is no reason to think that. I do think we will be unprepared for the opening games though due to our slow activity in the last three weeks.

I heard we had a scout (along with Aston Villa and another PL side - I can't remember which) at Watford on Saturday sent out to watch Sean Murray. He didn't play though.

Sean Murray is very, very good. Would be happy if we signed him, although not really Starting XI quality yet imo, which is what we need.

That's ridiculous. There is no reason to think that. I do think we will be unprepared for the opening games though due to our slow activity in the last three weeks.

You're like a scratched record, banging on about the same thing, until someone agrees with you, then they can join your gang for a short while! Post after post with the same thing, 15,505 post says something about you!

"@krtorb: Southampton makes offer for Ramirez and he may accept. A newly promoted English team have more money to spend than Inter."

And a tweet from a journalist who works for the Gazzetta Del Sport...

"@carlolaudisa: #Inter. Seria l'insidia del #Southampton per #Ramirez. Lui verso il si. Ora parola al #Bologna. #rischio #gds"

Edited by beavis17

And a tweet from a journalist who works for the Gazzetta Del Sport...

"@carlolaudisa: #Inter. Seria l'insidia del #Southampton per #Ramirez. Lui verso il si. Ora parola al #Bologna. #rischio #gds"

Anyone make any sense of this? Google translate just gives me

Serious pitfall of the # # Southampton Ramirez. Him toward it. Now the word # Bologna. # risk # gds "

it figures, we are getting desperate

Correction, you and many other people on here are getting desperate.

Yup we're leaving it later than I'd like getting the right new faces in. But the thing is we probably set our stall out for specific targets, if these didn't want to come or clubs didn't want to sell, is it our fault? I really can't believe that the relevant people at the club have been sat on their arses for the last month or so. We may end up having to bring in players that were lower down our list than we would have liked but I'm not one of those who thinks we'd have been better off setting our sights lower in the first place.