Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

We've signed four players (three of which will be regular starters), plus Tadanari Lee will feel like a new signing given his lack of matches last season due to injury. Plus Adkins has said they intend to bring in more players before the close of the window. Stop panicking and relax. Good things come to those who wait...

That sounds like you know something

What do you know?

Echo (10 August): Adkins insists he is thrilled with the quality of players that have arrived this summer, but admits he is also hoping for more before the window shuts at the end of the month – and probably before Saints kickoff at champions Manchester City a week on Sunday.

We've signed four players (three of which will be regular starters), plus Tadanari Lee will feel like a new signing given his lack of matches last season due to injury. Plus Adkins has said they intend to bring in more players before the close of the window. Stop panicking and relax. Good things come to those who wait...

The issue I have is that only one of these are of the quality we need right now. They have great potential, but not the required Premiership quality for right here, right now.

Also, none of those are CB's.

I am pretty relaxed, people seem to think I am sat here, head in hands, rocking forwards and backwards, muttering under my breath. My fiancee is due in 5 weeks with my first child, so I have far more on my plate than panicking about signing a CB. However, it doesn't mean that I can't sit here and express the opinion that we haven't signed enough quality in time for the start of the Season. I also believe we won't have the requisite quality by the beginning of September.

The issue I have is that only one of these are of the quality we need right now. They have great potential, but not the required Premiership quality for right here, right now.

So you don't think Clyne or Rodriguez would get into many first XI's in the bottom half of the Premier League? I beg to differ.

So you don't think Clyne or Rodriguez would get into many first XI's in the bottom half of the Premier League? I beg to differ.

Rodriguez definitely not. Who's forward line would he get into?

Clyne I am umming and ahhing. Issue with him is he is young, and could properly fail if in a bad defence. Which ours is likely to be. A player like Kyle Naughton has spent a season doing this, and has excelled. That is the difference.

The other thing is that just because Clyne is better than say Norwich's RB, does not mean he is automatically Premiership quality. By that logic any player who is in the Premiership is indeed Premiership quality.

In the Guardian they had a table of current EPL spending.

We were 6th highest so far.About 5 clubs have spent nothing at all.

The counter-argument is that, unlike others, we don't have an established prem side, so have to spend more to make up the quality gap - in effect, running to stand still.

What does net spend prove? Liverpool spent 35m on Carroll. City spent 32m on Aguero. Who would you prefer? Spend has nothing to do with quality, and strengthening in the correct positions.

So what's your point Charlie?

That in comparison to other clubs we are doing ok and there isnt a major problem as you suggest.

That the main concern for many clubs is keeping hold of who they have. We need to strengthen as we have just been promoted. We've been through this...

It also shows that loads of business is done late in the window and there is no point comparing other clubs business to ours until that point when the window shuts!

But my problem hasn't been how much we're spending. My problem has been we haven't bought enough quality. Have you really, after 3 weeks, still not understood my point?

I think everyone knows. As above, be patient, wait til end of window and assess then. That plus Im not sure what you really expected as I think our three main signings are good. When you posted a list of players you felt we should target instead it was largely ripped to shreds.

Be patient a couple more weeks and if we still havent further improved the squad I will agree it was a poor summer.

I think everyone knows. As above, be patient, wait til end of window and assess then. That plus Im not sure what you really expected as I think our three main signings are good. When you posted a list of players you felt we should target instead it was largely ripped to shreds.

Be patient a couple more weeks and if we still havent further improved the squad I will agree it was a poor summer.

I make a list of players, and people who I have been disagreeing with decide it will be easier to disagree to fit their argument. Brilliant!

By the way you can add Kone to that list.

Thursday tomorrow, we kick off in 3 days and no sign of any new signings. Considering the poor showing last weekend, I genuinely thought we might have made a big signing by now. If we play like we did last week and use the same system we will be murdered against City. The players are just not good enough!

Thursday tomorrow, we kick off in 3 days and no sign of any new signings. Considering the poor showing last weekend, I genuinely thought we might have made a big signing by now. If we play like we did last week and use the same system we will be murdered against City. The players are just not good enough!

According to people on here, we would lose to city anyway so it doesn't matter who we have signed or how we play against City...

Probably the most likely scenario. I just want us to make some signings now.

We kind of did this in the championship to a degree, spent loads of time and effort chasing ''massive names'' at that level (i.e maynard, jay rodriguez, hooper) and not getting them, and then not ending up with any new ST in the summer window....let's hope it's not the same again.

But St Charlie, with respect, the trouble is..... the longer we go without signing proven Premiership players, esp defenders, the doubts will grow and a sense that something is not quite right will inevitably increase with each passing day.

Yes there well may be a spate of big signings yet to materialise and I am sure the club are working hard irrespective of when the chairman takes his holiday, but there is no denying it would have been better to have got them bedded in before the season starts. A heavy defeat on Sunday will not be ideal (I would bite your hand off for a 1-0 defeat right now).

I talk to a lot of fans who live in the town etc etc who don't use this forum and there is a growing sense that things, as they stand, could be healthier. We are all excited to be back, we are all 100% behind Adkins and impressed with what he has achieved, but football is a fickle business and right now everyone in their heart of hearts are doubtful the squad we have as of today are capable of staying up. I have been smoking a Hamlet since the Coventry game but the inactivity of the last few days has started to unnerve me a tad.

But St Charlie, with respect, the trouble is..... the longer we go without signing proven Premiership players, esp defenders, the doubts will grow and a sense that something is not quite right will inevitably increase with each passing day.

Yes there well may be a spate of big signings yet to materialise and I am sure the club are working hard irrespective of when the chairman takes his holiday, but there is no denying it would have been better to have got them bedded in before the season starts. A heavy defeat on Sunday will not be ideal (I would bite your hand off for a 1-0 defeat right now).

I talk to a lot of fans who live in the town etc etc who don't use this forum and there is a growing sense that things, as they stand, could be healthier. We are all excited to be back, we are all 100% behind Adkins and impressed with what he has achieved, but football is a fickle business and right now everyone in their heart of hearts are doubtful the squad we have as of today are capable of staying up. I have been smoking a Hamlet since the Coventry game but the inactivity of the last few days has started to unnerve me a tad.

Although I agree with what you are saying I felt the same this time last year and we went on to get promoted

Although I agree with what you are saying I felt the same this time last year and we went on to get promoted

TBF we already had excellent championship players, who we dragged down to L1 with us (already plenty of champ experience in that team, and it was not suprising to see the momentum carry through).

I agree with what Duncan says to a point, we do need quality experience at CB - not to say Fonte and Jos aren't good players, but if one of them is injured we are up **** creek without a paddle pretty much. I know that we're working hard to sort it though but as time gets on you do get a little concerned that the most important part of the team is lacking in numbers and relative experience.

I think we'll be alright in the end. Just take the Man City game as a friendly/bonus game. There's no point getting het up when we lose it, we'd lose it with new CB's too I'd imagine. All eyes on the Wigan game...

Don't you just love our fans! A few years ago, we faced oblivion, we had owners putting the whole existence of our club in jeopardy, we have a record thread in the lounge about a club who spent beyond their means, because their fans demanded it. Yet here we are, with the same old names, wanting, nay! demanding, that we spend spend spend. I truly wonder about some of you, I really do. The club have tried, and continues to try, to bring in young players of potential quality, who will grow with the club, but not hold it to ransom. Be grateful for what we have, for where we are, for who saved us and continues to finance us, and for the future we have been given, that will be the envy of those six fingered inbreds down the road.

Have some faith.

Why on earth would he do that? He's not better than Fonte as a CB. And why would Kelvin play CM?

Because Cork can play CB !! And was it not obvious that I meant Davis (damn spellcheck)

I am not suggesting he will play there but if any of our targets don't come off then that is something that they can fall back on

Totally agree. The positions that needed strengthening the minute the final whistle went against Coventry still need strengthening 4 days before we play Man City. Thats what I find disappointing. No centre back, no right midfielder/winger.

We have entered the best football league in the world. We need world class players. Too many supporters don't realise just how tough the Premier League is, just how much a team has to be ready for every scenario, cover for injury after injury. There will be no excuses. We have to be prepared. This is why so many have Saints done for relegation strugglers Without the class cover in all positions we will and the clock is ticking towards the kick off, the closure of the transfer window. Our biggst enemies will be injuries, players involved in international games, and incapacity to change our formation and play.

We have entered the best football league in the world. We need world class players. Too many supporters don't realise just how tough the Premier League is, just how much a team has to be ready for every scenario, cover for injury after injury. There will be no excuses. We have to be prepared. This is why so many have Saints done for relegation strugglers Without the class cover in all positions we will and the clock is ticking towards the kick off, the closure of the transfer window. Our biggst enemies will be injuries, players involved in international games, and incapacity to change our formation and play.

Clubs like ours don't necessarily need world class players to survive. You need world class players to win it, or to compete for Top 4 places - but decent signings with potential will do a good job for us. Our signings so far fall into the zone of players I thought we'd be after.