Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Absolutely no point in guessing names on here. PRobably a more worthwhile debate would be what type of players we're going to go for? British of foreign? Newcastle have shown where the bargains currently are, but that's easier said than done.

What I think we do need is one or two more heads with experience in playing in the Prem, it is a massive step up and we're a bit short on the ground in that regard.

Absolutely no point in guessing names on here. PRobably a more worthwhile debate would be what type of players we're going to go for? British of foreign? Newcastle have shown where the bargains currently are, but that's easier said than done.

What I think we do need is one or two more heads with experience in playing in the Prem, it is a massive step up and we're a bit short on the ground in that regard.

Yep, agree. Newcastle's strategy has been shrewd (and to a lesser extent Fulham and West Brom). Their scouts must do overtime during the African Nations Cup given their signings and links. French players have also done a decent job in England. Saying that, going for Prem experience would tend to bias British players (more or less) and most of them represent pretty poor value.

Edited by shurlock

Yep, agree. Newcastle's strategy has been shrewd (and to a lesser extent Fulham and West Brom). Their scouts must do overtime during the African Nations Cup given their signings and links. French players have also done a decent job in England. Saying that, going for Prem experience would tend to bias British players (more or less) and most of them represent pretty poor value.
I guess ultimately we'll go for the best players/best value/risk, wherever they might be coming from. I'd be happy with maybe one ex-Prem, one hungry up and coming from the Champ and maybe one or two from abroad. Wouldn't want all signings to be from just one of those particular groups.

If we want Premier League quality, Wolves' squad is not the place to go looking.

They've been relegated and spent their entire recent Premier League life fighting relegation for a reason - it's an average squad with very little quality.

such a silly thing to say for so many reasons

If we want Premier League quality, Wolves' squad is not the place to go looking.

They've been relegated and spent their entire recent Premier League life fighting relegation for a reason - it's an average squad with very little quality.

Would you have said the same about Peter Crouch in 2005?

GOALKEEPERS: Craig Gordon, Paul Robinson, Kasper Schmeichel, Robert Green, Wayne Hennessey, Fraser Forster, Tomasz Kuszczak

DEFENDERS: Curtis Davies, Scott dann, Matthew Upson, Wayne Bridge, Fabio(Loan), Robert Huth, Kyle Naughton, Vedran Corluka, Chris Baird, Nataniel Clyne, James Tomkins, David Wheater, Martin Olsson, Steven Taylor(or whichever one it is), Anton Ferdinand, Nedum Onuoha

MIDFIELDERS: Jamie O'Hara, Matt Jarvis, Niko Kranjcar, Steven Pienaar, Ryo Miyaichi(Loan), Lee Chung-Yong, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Somen Tchoyi, Danny Guthrie, Keiran Richardson, Stephen Ireland, Matt Phillips, Vicente Rodríguez, Tom Ince, Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jamie Mackie, Wilfred Zaha, Robert Snodgrass, Peter Whittingham

STRIKERS: Jordan Rhodes, Gary Hooper, Kevin Doyle, Michael Owen, Jay Rodriguez, Peter Odemwinge, Kevin Davis, Bobby Zamora, Yakubu, Romelu Lukaku(Loan), Steven Fletcher

Just thought of everyone I could think of and compiled this list. Of course, I tried to keep it reasonably realistic. Some I wouldn't take and some probably would go to better clubs.

GOALKEEPERS: Craig Gordon, Paul Robinson, Kasper Schmeichel, Robert Green, Wayne Hennessey, Fraser Forster, Tomasz Kuszczak

DEFENDERS: Curtis Davies, Scott dann, Matthew Upson, Wayne Bridge, Fabio(Loan), Robert Huth, Kyle Naughton, Vedran Corluka, Chris Baird, Nataniel Clyne, James Tomkins, David Wheater, Martin Olsson, Steven Taylor(or whichever one it is), Anton Ferdinand, Nedum Onuoha

MIDFIELDERS: Jamie O'Hara, Matt Jarvis, Niko Kranjcar, Steven Pienaar, Ryo Miyaichi(Loan), Lee Chung-Yong, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Somen Tchoyi, Danny Guthrie, Keiran Richardson, Stephen Ireland, Matt Phillips, Vicente Rodríguez, Tom Ince, Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jamie Mackie, Wilfred Zaha, Robert Snodgrass, Peter Whittingham

STRIKERS: Jordan Rhodes, Gary Hooper, Kevin Doyle, Michael Owen, Jay Rodriguez, Peter Odemwinge, Kevin Davis, Bobby Zamora, Yakubu, Romelu Lukaku(Loan), Steven Fletcher

Just thought of everyone I could think of and compiled this list. Of course, I tried to keep it reasonably realistic. Some I wouldn't take and some probably would go to better clubs.

Stephen Irelan is a really good shout - he's one of the many players at Villa who isn't playing to his full potential for some reason. If we can help him recapture his City form (and NA is the man to do that), then he will be a very good buy.

Wouldn't waste breath on Joey Barton. Average midfielder who splits the dressing room.

With the greatest of respect mate, that is an absolutely terrible list!

Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, Peter Whittingham, Nathaniel Clyne are the first that come to mind

Stephen Hunt? Really?

Ref Clyne, I have a good mate who's a season ticket holder at CP and rates him very very highly. Thinks he'll go to one of the 'top' Prem clubs.

Pretty common knowledge that Clyne is most likely off to united. Theyve been tracking him for a while.

Yet we actualy targeted him at Palace as a weak link because of his lack of height, for Rickie to beat in the air and knock balls down into the area.

Remember Lee Todd anyone? The opposition just used to chip the ball over his head!

To be successful in the 'EPL' you have to have pace, and in defence, height as well.

Was saying to a couple of mates a few weeks ago, Fulham's player recruitment policy is one worth having a look at, they seem to have got very good at targeting the players/nations that are just a step below where the "bigger" clubs seem to target and go under the radar, but still represent Prem League quality players at decent value. Probably helps that they've had two wise old heads with good experience of the European game in Hodgson and Jol.

Yet we actualy targeted him at Palace as a weak link because of his lack of height, for Rickie to beat in the air and knock balls down into the area.

Remember Lee Todd anyone? The opposition just used to chip the ball over his head!

To be successful in the 'EPL' you have to have pace, and in defence, height as well.

No you don't. Can you tell us how tall a defender needs to be, to be successful in the Prem?

True but if the centre forward is dropping wide, the CB can go with him and the fullback drops slightly inside or focuses on picking up the knockdowns.

Only thing to beware is if you buy too many Championship players you might end up a Championship team.

Is Jordan Rhodes any better than Sharp? Probably not.

Is Trotter better than Morgan or Cork? No.

A mix of hungry young players with a couple of experienced Prem players with something to prove. Jermaine Jenas - realistic or out of reach?

Stephen N'Zonzi is decent, Man Utd have said they will loan Fabio out, Jamie Mackie when QPR go down?

I would love jenas here if he was to return to full fitness, last couple of years though he has been very injury prone.

Chamakh could be a very ambitious signing who doesnt get much playtime with arsenal

Also think ince or phillips from blackpool and maybe giovanni dos santos

Am I genuinely seeing the likes of joey barton and stephen ireland suggested?? The reason we are where we are now is because we have signed good players with good mentalities

Agree with that - We do not need any "flaky headcases" here ! Soembody will be suggesting we re-sign Prutton next !

I would think we will have a couple of scouts out at the Euros, might be a couple of gems to pick up from the lesser nations.
Worst way to buy a player. Player raises his game and puts in a couple of good performances in a big tournament, his price and wages go up, get him into the Prem week in, week out and he fails.

Massive challenge this summer. We need some pace in the team, but the player must also be Premier League quality. We've also got to nurture the squad dynamic which has served us so well the last two years. Lots of different things to consider beyond the quality of player alone.

I personally see a couple of real impact signings and then some more activity in January depending on how we go.

Would you have said the same about Peter Crouch in 2005?

Crouch was a reserve team player at Villa who were at around that time challenging for European places - I fail to see your argument. I am saying WOLVES and Wolves ONLY are a bad team, and it is not a sensible nor a practical idea to go cherry-picking from a bad team.

such a silly thing to say for so many reasons

I disagree. That Wolves side have been relegated because they are a bad team with poor management at all levels. Would you have signed any of Portsmouth's utter turds from when they were relegated?

That rules out the Championship too

No it doesn't. It rules out Wolves as I only said Wolves. They are bottom of the table because they have the worst squad and as I have just said, have terrible management at every single level.

I would have liked a few of their players at one point, let's say Roger Johnson. He looked good at Birmingham for a while, but managed to get relegated with them, has turned up at Wolves, got relegated again and ****ed off a lot of people with mediocre displays and an attitude problem. I certainly wouldn't put him top of my shopping list now.

Wayne Hennessey holds the Football League record for most minutes without conceding a goal, but he's proven to be a shaky keeper in the top flight and has come under some criticism. At one point in time, again, I might have thought he'd prove a solid addition. Ebanks-Blake was good in the Championship but I believe we've already got better, Fletcher again, I would have said at one point is a good signing, not all that sure now. Jarvis I'm afraid I don't understand the hype but I'd say maybe a possible signing, Doyle was **** hot once, not anymore.

Genuinely think we will get in a couple of great loans to help us. In terms of a centre back we could get Aston villa's Richard dunno or Scott dann. We need another centre mid, so I assume we will bid for a goal scoring midfielder, whittngham would fit the bill, as would graham dorrans from west brom. Also a bid for Rhys Taylor from boro would be a good signing. I'd like us to try and sign benayoun, for that added touch of class. Or even a cheeky bid for Steven pienarr as everton can't afford him. The one player I would love us to sign is victor Moses, however I think bigger clubs want him.

I always ask this, but why Kevin Doyle? What is it about him that makes people think he's a good striker?

His record, his misses and general ability whenever I see him suggests he's proven to not be a premier league striker. A brief spell of form years ago counts for as much as Michael Ricketts.

Well we agree on one thing at least. Ever since he was tentatively linked with Manchester United back in Reading's two seasons in the Prem he's been little better than average. Put it this way, I'd much rather we spent the money on Hooper, and he's never played at the top level over here - not sure what being able to do in the Scottish Premier League says over here anymore. Look at Samaras, an absolute waste of space at City after a big money move, scores a few for Celtic.

Well we agree on one thing at least. Ever since he was tentatively linked with Manchester United back in Reading's two seasons in the Prem he's been little better than average. Put it this way, I'd much rather we spent the money on Hooper, and he's never played at the top level over here - not sure what being able to do in the Scottish Premier League says over here anymore. Look at Samaras, an absolute waste of space at City after a big money move, scores a few for Celtic.

then look at Jelevic...not even the best striker in scotland and bang on the money at everton...brilliant signing

Again, Clyne, not getting why people want him so much. Thought he was anonymous when we played at Selhurst.

That's because he was playing at right-back, and you know who else in that game was anonymous? Our left-winger Adam Lallana.

Him and Zaha would be great additions.

After seeing some of the suggestions of both unrealistic and average players on here all I know is that I'm extremely glad that some of the people on here aren't the manager...

I mean Clint Dempsey?! He's one of the players of the season this year FFS and will be unlucky not to get a move to one of the top four.

Edited by beavis17

Schmeichel, Clyne, Chester, Vicente, Butterfield, Rodriguez.

Apart from Vicente, all are young hungry players with great potential and seem to fit the right profile. Clyne, Butterfield and Vicente are all out of contract in the summer too

Butterfield is a good shout if he can come back 100% from injury. Snodgrass is another talent.