Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

I would go for Schmeicel, Hopper and Phillips. If Blackpool get promoted, Phillips would probably stay so Rodriguez might be a good 2nd choice. We also need a centre back before too long but somehow feel Martin will step up.

Can't think of a less appropriate signing to be honest.

money aside berbatov would be a class signing ,could easily score 20 a season in the prem if played week in week out.

also has a fantastic first touch and great skill .

dunno why everyones so obsessed with buying unproven championship players.

riquelme would be my dream signing who better to play in th hole in the diamond formation?

my list of freebies, maybe kalou is a bit optimistic, but the offer of game time might be a big thing.

Craig Gordon,

Fitz Hall,

Danny Murphy,

Salomon Kalou,

Junior Hoilett.

Not a great list. Fitz Hall is rubbish, which is why we let him go.

Danny Murphy isn't the sort of player we sign these days. He's a good pro, but probably only good for another season.

Kalou would be great, but I expect him to go to a big European team - same as Hoilett.

my list of freebies, maybe kalou is a bit optimistic, but the offer of game time might be a big thing.

Craig Gordon,

Fitz Hall,

Danny Murphy,

Salomon Kalou,

Junior Hoilett.

Murphy is ancient. Still quality but he'd only really be in it for one last pay cheque even if he did stay fit.

Kalou would demand large wages and probably wouldn't be hungry enough to prove himself.

Hall is the wrong side of 30 now and is a bit of a journeyman. Never really done much decent. No thanks.

Hoilett would be a good shout though.

First bit of transfer news from Fourth Official on twitter. Got quite a few right last summer and knew about Fox coming here etc.

@Fourth_Official: Southampton have made an enquiry for Wolves winger Matt Jarvis #saintsfc #wwfc

I like this type of news.... Lets hope it has legs ( Cue Trousers and his collection of appropriate pictures)...

@Fourth_Official

Southampton have made an enquiry for Wolves winger Matt Jarvis #saintsfc #wwfc

Haha it didn't take Fourth_Official long.

He hardly gets anything correct when it comes to Saints. I remember him saying we were signing Gorkss and Waghorn as well as putting in a huge bid for Maynard, none of those happened. He also never picked up on us signing Cork, Fox, Sharp, Lee and De Ridder...

Haha it didn't take Fourth_Official long.

He hardly gets anything correct when it comes to Saints. I remember him saying we were signing Gorkss and Waghorn as well as putting in a huge bid for Maynard, none of those happened. He also never picked up on us signing Cork, Fox, Sharp, Lee and De Ridder...

Gorkss deal fell through due to player wages, we enquired about Waghorn but he got injured and we did bid for Maynard...

Would like Jarvis, but a left winger isn't our priority, Would only take Fletcher from Wolves, they are garbage. Ireland would be a good shout, what about Robbie Keane? Celtic supporting mate reckons we could be after Mulgrew and he has apparantly told Celtic he wants to leave

Zaha is a massive w4nker. Unless NA could get him under control then I want him kept well away from this club!

GK: Craig Gordon, Kasper Schmeichel

RB: Nathaniel Clyne, Adam Matthews

CB: Curtis Davies, Richard Stearman

CM: Graham Dorrans, Steven Davis

RM: Lee Chung-Yong, Michael Kightly

ST: Jay Rodriguez, Johnny Russell

All realistic signings, not too expensive and would add something to the squad. Your meat-and-drink type of squad players. 3 or 4 of them and 1 or 2 marquee signings would set us up perfectly imo.

Zaha is a massive w4nker. Unless NA could get him under control then I want him kept well away from this club!

GK: Craig Gordon, Kasper Schmeichel

RB: Nathaniel Clyne, Adam Matthews

CB: Curtis Davies, Richard Stearman

CM: Graham Dorrans, Steven Davis

RM: Lee Chung-Yong, Michael Kightly

ST: Jay Rodriguez, Johnny Russell

All realistic signings, not too expensive and would add something to the squad. Your meat-and-drink type of squad players. 3 or 4 of them and 1 or 2 marquee signings would set us up perfectly imo.

Stearman has been poor at Wolves this season. To be honest, none of their defence have come out of this season well. I thought Johnson would have been a good signing at the start of the season but he seems to be a mess at the mo.

Also J.ROD has been linked...

Been mentioned on here by View from the Top (i think) who said 5m plus one CM going their way. I looked on their forum and a few on there saying he was tearful and on his way here. Some guy said 40k a week and another poster said 5.5m + add ons. Just as likely to happen as the Hooper deal IMO.

Solomon Kalou!

Why?? Given what he would cost (wages, sign etc.) and compared to his goals per game with Chelsea - where he arguably had much better service due to the rest of the team, is he suddenly going to score more goal at Saints (would not even get close to Gully!). BTW if in the bizzare case we do buy him and keep Gully I will glady offer a massive bet to back this up!

money aside berbatov would be a class signing ,could easily score 20 a season in the prem if played week in week out.

also has a fantastic first touch and great skill .

dunno why everyones so obsessed with buying unproven championship players.

riquelme would be my dream signing who better to play in th hole in the diamond formation?

Riquelme and Berbatov ? Silly season it is then !!

FWIW I cant see why everyone writes off S Fletcher, good player in a poor team still scoring goals, both feet great in the air and readonably quick, Jarvis too as a wide man.

We also need a proven CB and a decent midfielder to replace hammond, not necessarily goal scoring as we play with a more conservative CM pairing but someone with a decent all round engine.

As for @fourth_official ge is normally on the ball a lot of enquiries happen they dont all come off.

Rhys Williams would be an excellent signing. Can play centre-back and central midfield and has been head and shoulders above the rest of the Middlesbrough side this season.

Injuries apart, would be a good signing.

Edited by shurlock

Some people we should be thinking about:

McEachran (loan) - Hasn't really got a chance in the Swansea side since his loan, definitely a very bright prospect who would fit in with our passing style.

Jarvis - can play on either wing, a really good out and out winger and easily good enough for the Premiership. Quite possibly we will be beaten to the punch, however.

Rodriguez - very impressive goals this season, he scores all types. Can dribble, head, finish. He's strong and young. I wanted him rather than Sharp but I suppose Billy was the better option given his price and the decision has been vindicated.

Guthrie - available on a free but again, I suspect someone else will steal in and grab him. He's an excellent player and has more than held his own in an impressive Newcastle team this year.

McGreggor - Always liked him, capable of making stunning saves and probably ready to head south. Watch the two saves he made vs Celtic this weekend.

Forster (is he still Newcastle's player?) - Probably available if he is still at Newcastle, but maybe Celtic would be his preferred choice?

Snodgrass - Very decent winger, and people cite his lack of pace but I think Norwich have shown this season that players of his standard can easily make the step up. If Surman can score goals in the PL, so can he. Might be too expensive, though, Leeds really rate him.

M. Phillips - probably too pricey but might be worth a go if they don't go up.

Also:

Butterfield

Frimpong (loan)

Shelvey (loan if Liverpool strengthen)

I expect that we will bring 6 or 7 players in while releasing/selling Holmes, Seaborne, Harding, Jaidi, Barnard, JonnoQuick, Connolly, and Puncheon.

I would hope that the 'calibre' of player is one of young hungry and still not quite t their peak. Players who may fit the bill;

Hooper

JRod

Rhys Williams

McEachran

Matt Philip

Tom Ince

Guthrie

Snodgrass - Very decent winger, and people cite his lack of pace but I think Norwich have shown this season that players of his standard can easily make the step up. If Surman can score goals in the PL, so can he. Might be too expensive, though, Leeds really rate him.

Isn't his contract winding down? Think it runs out end of next season maybe?

These players will be off imo:

Forecast, Jaidi (retiring), Dean (according to MLG), Dickson, Seaborne, Holmes, Doble, Forte, Puncheon, Connolly, Barnard, Hoskins

Either through not being good enough or probably wanting to move and get more first-team football. Would be sad to see Barny go but I think he'll want a fresh start and to be playing regularly. That would be 11 off the squad, leaving us with:

GK: Davis, Bialkowski

RB: Richardson, Butterfield, Stephens (U21)

LB: Fox, Harding, Shaw (U21)

CB: Fonte, Hooiveld, Martin

RM: Chaplow, De Ridder

LM: Lallana

CM: Cork, Schneiderlin, Hammond, Reeves (U21), Ward-Prowse (U21)

ST: Lambert, Sharp, Lee, Guly

That means we would have 19 players over the age of 21 (in August 2012) in our squad, meaning they would have to be registered. That leaves us with 6 spots up for grabs for players over the age of 21.

Edited by SuperMikey

What makes you think that? He is doing well on loan at Rotherham and is still only 19.

I get the feeling his chances will be very limited with us and there will be a few clubs after him. We may just loan him out again but I think he'll be tempted away.

He has said on Twitter the club are letting him go.

Didn't know that. Fair enough.

Schneiderlin is 22

Maths was never my strong suit.

I get the feeling his chances will be very limited with us and there will be a few clubs after him. We may just loan him out again but I think he'll be tempted away.

He looks promising from what I have seen of him, more so than Ryan Doble. He is still only 19 and will likely go out on loan again or even used in the revamped Premier League "reserve/under 21 set up" that comes in conjunction with the EPPP in the summer.

Why would Hoskins be off? Isn't he one of our hottest prospects?

He is young and not on much, would be good to let him have another season out on loan, maybe to league 1. Having seen us release some decent players over the years, I would rather keep them on a small contract and give them time than release another Gazza (although it was only a trial), Townsend or Kevin Phillips.

MLG - this is up your street... what is the situation with reserves/development squad now we're promoted? Will we be in a more formal "league" system?

Apologies if this is a daft question...

It isn't a daft question at all. At the moment it is still a little up in the air as they will be restructuring both the academy leagues and reserve leagues in the summer. I've read the initial proposal document, but that was written last summer and there has likely been many changes to it since then. Clubs are currently being audited in terms of academy ranking into one of four tiers and this will also likely link in some ways with what happens at under 21/reserve team level. Premier League status and category one status will certainly put Saints in a strong position in terms of player development and attracting players to play for the academy and under 21 side.