Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Well Michael Owen did tweet his personal congratulations on our promotion, calling us a "great club".

Brother bumped into 'arry in the Marriott in Canary Wharf last night and he was calling us a "fantastic club". Very happy we're up.

Jay on his way...?

BURNLEY are facing a battle to keep Jay Rodriguez – with at least five Premier League clubs chasing their top scorer.

Newcastle, Fulham, Norwich, Bolton and newly promoted Southampton are among those who have registered their interest in the 22-year-old.

Scottish Premier League champions Celtic have also entered the race for Rodriguez’s signature, although I understand that is an unlikely destination for the Clarets’ youth team product.

Furthermore, it is believed that Burnley will want a minimum fee of £8million for their star man.

Former Burnley striker Ade Akinbiyi, who was Rodriguez’s mentor at Turf Moor and who is now advising the England Under 21 cap, admitted he is wanted man.

“It doesn’t look like Burnley will be able to keep hold of him. A lot of clubs are interested and you can understand why,” said Akinbiyi.

“Jay is a decent player and can play at the top level.

“He has a year left to go on his contract but I’m sure they will look at all the different offers and see where it goes from then.”

The interest in Rodriguez comes as Burnley manager Eddie Howe says he is desperate to keep his squad intact for next season, but admits if departures are inevitable he would prefer outgoing transfers to be done sooner than later.

Ads by Google

Lose 4 Stone in 3 Months?

Discover the Shocking Truth About Britain's Hottest Diet...

TrimRecipe.com/Diet

Electrician Training Ormskirk

Intensive Electrician Courses, Become an Electrician In 7 Weeks!

RFTraining.co.uk/Electric

The Turf Moor chief was left with just two weeks to re-assemble his squad before the start of the 2011/12 campaign after Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears made late pre-season moves to Bolton Wanderers.

While he was able to bring in Junior Stanislas and Kieran Trippier before the transfer window closed in August, the situation had left Burnley on the back foot, and Howe is eager to avoid a repeat as he makes plans for a new term.

Trippier has also been linked with a move to Newcastle United, while Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to Bristol City is widely expected to be Rodriguez’s last game for the Clarets.

Howe would prefer only to add to his current crop, but admitted: “If anything is to happen – if we were to lose any players – we would want it to be done as quickly as possible so that it gives us the best chance to replace them.

“Whoever we lose, if we do lose anyone, it's going to be very difficult to replace them because you're losing top talents who have performed consistently in the Championship this year.

“To find like-for-like players for the money we have available is going to be very difficult. But that's the challenge and something we'll continue to do.”

He added: “Our better players, who are at a very good age as well and very attractive to other teams – it's going to be a fight to keep hold of them. But hopefully we can in the majority of cases, and if we do lose anybody then hopefully we can bring in adequate replacements.

Howe admitted he has already identified his summer transfer targets.

But with question marks over how much he will be able to spend, he is not yet in a position to make signings, suggesting the Clarets will have to sell before they can buy.

“We know who we want to bring in,” said Howe.

“I've said before it does depend on certain factors that we're not in control of and neither are the board so we'll have to wait and see how things develop as time goes on.

“We're not in a position at the moment to move on any of them. It will be a case of seeing how things unravel.”

Asked if they had received any firm offers for players, Howe added: “We've not had any enquiries to this day - not that I'm aware of. I'm sure these things will move on quite quickly

£8m wtf?

And with 1year left on his contract, a scary asking price.

That's what you get with young english players though.

We would save so much money looking abroad. Newcastle got Cisse for something like 7m

not sure what the fuss is about him. He couldn't get in the Norwich side in their run in, looked poor for West Ham this season and when I saw him in the England U21s at SMS he was rubbish. We'll need better to survive next season.

He reminds me of a better Chaplow, great engine always gives it 100%. As i say he has been mis managed at west ham. He was up for Young player of the year in his spell with Norwich. As for England, well... they are England.

Plus, he is useful in goal if we don't want a keeper on the bench ;)

Of course they're going to want £8m. If they demand that someone will eventually pay them the £5m they are really after. If they ask for £5m they will probably end up with £3m. It's no different to any Arabian market stall.

We really need an experienced CM I think. Someone nearing the end of their career but still with the quality to improve us. Someone mentioned Ballack earlier, and although that is obviously unlikely I reckon someone in that mold would be perfect.

If Brum don't go up then Curtis Davies would without doubt be my first choice for CB.

Matt Jarvis would be quality too.

I have a source (it's a made up thought in my brain) that claims we're ready to take Owen Hargreaves from Man City, as well as Michael Owen from Man Utd, both on free transfers, to add a bit of experience to the side. This will begin the "Owen The Saints" chants around SMS.

I can understand the Jay Rod interest and I would be surprised if he choose Celtic unless it releases Hooper for us?

IMHO we will sign nobody until July the 1st as it means we end up paying them wages just to sit on the beach.

However Adkins will agree several deals with football clubs and verbal agreements with some players until July.

Of course they're going to want £8m. If they demand that someone will eventually pay them the £5m they are really after. If they ask for £5m they will probably end up with £3m. It's no different to any Arabian market stall.

£8m, £5m, £3m...... Who cares!! We have £90 million to spend!!!!

I have a source (it's a made up thought in my brain) that claims we're ready to take Owen Hargreaves from Man City, as well as Michael Owen from Man Utd, both on free transfers, to add a bit of experience to the side. This will begin the "Owen The Saints" chants around SMS.

Can't see us going for both but a fit OH would be awesome.

Have always admired Rhys Williams ( Boro) as a player - Young with bags of potential and can play anywhere across the midfield and in defence.

I would say he is the sort of player that would interest Nige and just wonder whether we might go in for him..

I like to believe players can overcome injuries however long it's been, but OH seems a lost cause. That said, if he was pay as you play what's the risk? Man City and Man Utd weren't helping him because playing a few minutes every other month doesn't help with match fitness etc.

What's the point?

Why have a player like Hargreaves in the squad when he's only ever going to be fit for half an hour every couple of months. If Cork, Morgan, Lallana et al. have been playing together in the Prem and know each other well, etc. are we actually going to gain anything from chucking Owen Hargreaves on for half an hour? He may have been a better player in his prime, but I doubt he's been anywhere close to that in the very brief interludes between trips to the physio room.

Besides that, we'd just need another player to cover him for the 9/10 games when he's still injured. It's a waste of a player in the 25 man squad and a waste of wages. It's like this season where we've got 5 centre halves and Jaidi and Seaborne have played about 5 games between the pair of them. I know it's not their fault and nobody could have predicted Seaborne's injury etc. etc. but we still have to pay them.

I am astonished by the number of people who are quite willing to pay the likes of OH, Connolly etc. to sit in the physio room out of what is essentially their own pockets. Even if Hargreaves does agree to a 'pay as you play' he wont come cheap and will want a big fee for the appearances he does make. That's our £3 booking fees down the drain right there.

Because if it doesn't cost you much, it's worth the small chance that he might prove his fitness and play. At worst you have a great sub and a good influence on the training ground for younger players.

But it will cost - so many of these players are on ridiculously high wages.

Maybe on a pay as you play basis?!?

Dale Jennings was a player that looked good playing for Tranmere Rovers..

Winger striker with a lot of pace and an eye for goal..

Aged 19/20

Spotted and played for Bayern Munich Reserves...

Ankle injury has kept him out til recently and being ligaments.50/50 return to fitness at this moment..

Worth a look at when he plays again...as a loan prospect if recovers full fitness..

Watch this space..

Wonder if we can beat Borussia Monchengladbach to the signature of Granit Xhaka ... Now that would be a marquee signing. ;)

He seems to be really keen on Monchengladbach for some reason...

Barnetta would be another decent but unlikely option and he's on a free!

Edited by beavis17

I think Wilson Palacios could be a veryful useful acquisition. A great defensive midfielder that is proven in the EPL and never seems to get a game at stoke. I'd be shocked if he's made 10 league appearances since his move to stoke. He cost them £6million and even if they wanted to recoup that fee it would be a very good deal for us.

Because if it doesn't cost you much, it's worth the small chance that he might prove his fitness and play. At worst you have a great sub and a good influence on the training ground for younger players.

No, at worst you will have a permanetly injured and disintered football who isn't really bothered about Saints, knows his number is pretty much up and wants a half decent pay cheque before he is forced to retire.

It is far from guaranteed he will actually be good when he played. Michael Owen has only managed 8 goals in his last 2 years at Man Utd, coming mostly in the cups against teams like Leeds, Saints and Scunny. Fowler and Hasselbaink went to Cardiff and achieved nothing. Even when fit he will not even come close to the Owen Hargreaves at the World Cup 6 years ago. The rare games he does play, I very much doubt he will be an improvement on Cork, Morgan or any of the others who might be available.

To me offering Hargreaves a contract and hoping he gets fit would be like offering Forecast a new contract in the hope that he suddenly develops some tallent. It's not going to happen, move on.